Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion What Is A Jedi?

My view of it is a bit strange, as I've only ever seen the movies and the 2d clone wars series. (As well as a handful of clone wars and rebels episodes that I caught in passing.)

Jedi should be the heroes of the galaxy. The Knights of the Old Republic, as it were. Warriors of Justice, and martyrs at their own expense. Unlike traditional Superheroes, Jedi aren't tied to debates on the morality of killing, rather are inspired more by samurai in that they see their own judgements as just. As much as canon or legends try to hype up the Lightsaber as an elegant weapon meant for finesse, it's still a weapon that is designed to maim and kill above all else. Plasma doesn't discriminate between the sinners and the saints, as it were.

While the jedi are meant to be paragons, the moral culture of star wars is pretty brutal, even in the best of times.

Jedi are not soldiers, they're mythical warriors. Force Multipliers and Paragons.

I go by the old-school Obi-Wan take. Cunning warriors, lightsaber as an elegant weapon and stuff (even though it kills and dismembers, there's no bloodshed involved, the wounds are always cauterized).

I keep it simple, because for me Star Wars shouldn't be beyond simple. Doing the right peaceful thing and being kind without expecting something in return.

To be a human.

All of the alien species in Star Wars:

y8umtpe09b271.jpg

Someone who can make the choice for the betterment of all at the expense of themselves.

elaborate plz

Unlike traditional Superheroes, Jedi aren't tied to debates on the morality of killing, rather are inspired more by samurai in that they see their own judgements as just.

This is interesting and definitely based, but I don't know if I would say it's a universal trait among Jedi. There are Jedi in canon and on Chaos who don't go for a moral objectivism take, and that doesn't make them any less Jedi.

I'd also like to know what you consider to be the difference between a soldier and a "warrior".

Lol this does not mean a literal human.

Ok but what is a human in this context? plz explain

i've got like 300 pages of readings to do rn but maybe i'll come back and explain

nerd.gif

I go by the old-school Obi-Wan take. Cunning warriors, lightsaber as an elegant weapon and stuff (even though it kills and dismembers, there's no bloodshed involved, the wounds are always cauterized).

I keep it simple, because for me Star Wars shouldn't be beyond simple. Doing the right peaceful thing and being kind without expecting something in return.

This works because it's simple, but I also can't help feeling like it's a cop out. What is the "right peaceful thing"?

Also, another question for all of you: can you be a Jedi even if you're not Force Sensitive, just a follower of Jedi philosophy and beliefs?

I always felt like the idea of what a Jedi, what they do, and what they 'supposed' to be often changes. Being different between times and even individuals. The eras showcased can often depict them in pretty different ways. Thus I feel like answering "what is a Jedi?" is a bit difficult. Not to mention the various roles and ways that a Jedi may conduct themselves individuals. From academic scholars, explorers, diplomats, and warriors. All of which can tend to be radically different in their approach to their duties and The Force.

Even during the clone wars, which I often feel many people perceive as the Jedi at their worst and most stagnate is filled with diversity within its members. Even the Jedi of the high council were not all monolithic and had plenty of variety's in their personal perspectives and attitudes.

However, there is a quote I do find to be a somewhat helpful benchmark for myself when trying to think of how to write a Jedi. Somewhat distilling what I see to be the general behavior Jedi strive for...

"Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world." - Miyamoto Musashi

We will either find a way, or make one.
Love Love Love this question:

To me, I paraphrase Obi Wan Kenobi in that it depends on your point of view:

The Public:
The Jedi are peacekeepers, police officers, constables, and in many ways no different from the Sith in the simple realm that "They can use the Force and we can't." You might call them "The X-Men" of Star Wars. Those who understand their motivations appreciate them, those who don't... Don't.

The Jedi themselves:
It's all about commitment. You are not being subjugated or held back, your entire Jedi existence is about your commitment. In RP terms, a site I came from required Padawans to be interviewed before being considered(all IC of course). Paddies there (like here) did not necessarily start at childhood so their training (at least when I would interview) was all about emphasizing their commitment. Then it was what I compare to basic training in the military or Police Academy) where they break you down and make you forget what you know so they can rebuild you in the desired image.

Me Personally:
For me, a Jedi is someone who will run upstairs in a burning skyscraper to get people out. Someone who will lie on a live grenade. Someone who will do whatever they must to ensure no one has to go through the pain that they have had to endure as part of the Order and it's history.It's hard to write a convincing Jedi effectively but it's enjoyable as well.

I’ve always thought of when Obiwan screams that Anakins loyalty was supposed to be to the Republic and to Democracy as sort of the guide to what a Jedi is. They were political warriors helping to push political agendas.

I know there is tons of lore beyond the movies now that say differently but in that scene it seems like the Jedi existed to serve the Republic.

Not literal?

It's that freaky mind reader fella that somehow took out all those bandits that were bothering us then his corpse karking vanished. I swear I still hear his voice sometimes. Cool dude, little scary, I miss his weirdly helpful cryptic advice.]

Seriously though, they're supposed to be followers of the light side that fill in a specific doctrine. For the most part, pretty successfully. I know a lot of people have dislikes of them but the majority of jedi do a good job and are generally a positive force on the galaxy at large. Even back during Revan's time, the jedi were either neutral, or positive (up until Revan got loads of them corrupted, but to be fair, those jedi were specifically not following the council). But not actually outright evil almost ever. Which is something that's almost impossible for what is basically a group of superhumans who could at almost any point assassinate basically whoever they wanted if they really tried that isn't themselves a jedi or sith. Even when they do become complacent and unprepared, the amount of jedi that turn to the dark side and become major problems is pretty small.

Caedyn Arenais

C
The Jedi can be viewed in so many ways, but one of my favorite qualities is the ability to keep an open mind towards others. Times of war being the best example of this where the Jedi understand that both sides may believe they are "right" or the "good side". Right and wrong, good and evil, friend or enemy. Absolutes as Obi-Wan called it. The Jedi seek to help others, but they also understand that life in the Galaxy isn't black and white, and so long as their actions encourage life and the natural flow of harmony, they act while believing they are doing so in favor of the Force (Or the Will of the Force depending on your view).

Just one of many personal takes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom