Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We Are the Children of the Sun [Open to Dawnguard]

Ylva Heavenshield

Y
"You are a friend of his, then?".

Ylva's gaze held with [member="Thyrian Hearthfire"]'s as he rhetorically questioned her claim to know Théodred, be it a point of pride or her love for the young Heavenshield, she almost answered in order to express that she were closer to him than originally spoken yet she knew Thyrian not and only fools were so blind as to trust someone so willingly. Word was a thing rarely kept and even rarer was the truth behind them, in her experience. A simple yet firm nod in confirmation was all the man would receive, once again accompanied by a curious lift to one of her brow when he called upon her as a "Lady" like it meant she were to be treated gently as opposed to the men of his legion. Too many more of those remarks and she would need to invite the man to an exchange of hands in order to prove her worth. Or perhaps, express it and do her stubborn pride some justice.

Moving to recover her Bow, she soon turned back for her friend, taking a hold of the great Beasts leather saddle, climbing up to sit atop Bjomolf that her trusted dire wolf would feel a little more comforted by her company in the presence of so many armed men they knew not. This 'King' seemed comfortable inviting them into their circle if not temporarily, thus Ylva would be prepared to move off when they would seek to do so, wanting to know more of the land and these Vinterbound they spoke of.

Thyrian would soon announce his relation to Théodred's Father, Thurion of whom Ylva had not yet met before. "You're the first of his blood that I've met..." She informed the high-born Lord with something of a more civil tongue than that she had held in their initial confrontation; "Had I known, you might not have received the face of my Bow", she smirked in that remark for the possibility that he could have still been faced with such a chance, situation dependent. Ylva wasn't a gentle lass, she didn't need another man to fight her battles nor did she tolerate being belittled before the likes of Men as if they were any part her better. "I would ride with you. I was the last to speak with these people, they deserve justice...-They were kind to me" she spoke as though Thyrian had little choice in the matter, not by any arrogance nor disrespect but the fact that her mind was already made up and in this, she were informing him of her company now.

Removing her War Axe's from her sides, she stored the single-handed heavy weapons against the holsters upon either side of Bjomolf's back, just in-front of her mount and easily within reach should her bow not be enough in their travels. Atop the Ice-Wolf, she too felt more comfortable. His height was great; greater so when he would rise to his hind legs and tower over all others yet from where she sat she had a good line of sight upon most things around them. [member="Audren Sykes"], however was exceptionally quiet on his feet and she'd not caught wind of his presence until he was willing to announce himself.

Among the Aelvar, Ylva had only met [member="Ióunn Wuduælfen"]. She had been kind and most considerate of all the wilds, a trait that Ylva had immediately liked in the woodland folk of Midvinter. This one however did not seem entirely alike the young female Ylva had come across and in her silent study of Audren, she remained focused on his attire for it held gentle differences alike her own that suggested a foreigners touch. "What are these Vinterbound?" She asked the pair of them, Bjomolf moving to bring them both in a little closer to the group so that they might discuss within a bit more comforting and friendly atmosphere than that which they'd started.

[member="Thurion Heavenshield"] | [member="Thyrian Hearthfire"] | [member="Théodred Heavenshield"] | [member="Velkar Odiirson"] | [member="Teign Hœgr"]
[member="Dawnbringer"] | [member="Boo Heavenshield"] | [member="Audren Sykes"] | [member="Kahne Porte"] | [member="Coci Heavenshield"]

The Woodland Realm of Averlorn

Although it was late in the afternoon, the shroud that surrounded Averlorn seemed to have thicken. It was as if the Sun had vanished from these lands. The enchanted mists swirling with a sense of urgency and the atmosphere clinging to the air was not one of this realm but seemed to come from a pointed source. His wife, the Queen of the Aelvar, Aewen The Wise. She stood on the edge of the frozen lake, the central focus of the Frostvatn and now as ever, it reached for the skies shifting between colours from all the spectrum. Never is it a beautiful sight to behold, and never more so when she is there, in his eyes. Eregon pushed back a low hanging branch and step out of the shroud of leaves from the surrounding forests.

My love, my Queen, he whispered with a voice only she would hear in her mind. His lips moved but to only smile at the sight of her.

Heaviness sat in the heart of Aewen, and his words to her mind cut deep into her heart, as she stood gazing across the frozen waters. Death walks this land once more, I have seen it. She turned to face him, and he could see the redness in her eyes. And you must leave me.

He spoke now as he approached her and took her in his arms, "My Aewen, whatever threat comes for us I will fight for you and for Averlorn". But he could tell in her eyes there was much more, and deep within her heart there was sadness. "What have you seen?", he asked with a sense of uncertainty as if not wishing to know, and holding the want to want to go and take her away from this. Aewen shook her head, the words unable to come from her precious lips, "Destiny will reveal it's intentions when it will".

Her unsettling words, speaking of destiny and revelation only added to his growing worry, but he would not press her. There is always a reason for her chosen words. "From the moment I saw you, so many years ago now, my heart was yours", he said resting his forehead to hers, a little time taken to simply be with her before he readies himself in the defense of his this Realm. Amin mela lle tar livien, and he kissed her most deeply.

Time would pass, husband and wife would spend the remaining hours loving each other under the blanket of the forest before he would have to leave her.

[member="Thurion Heavenshield"] | [member="Boo Heavenshield"] | [member="Ylva Solveig"] | [member="Audren Sykes"] | [member="Kahne Porte"]

In The Skies Of Midvinter

Assured that the Temple was ready for evacuation, Coci could focus on the situation at hand. They lacked the time to remain and thrown attention to the finer details, but she had every confidence in her Knights of the Dawnguard. Although Thurion took a moment to have with her, placing a deep kiss on her lips, she could sense in him disquiet and eagerness to see his brother. To find out what had happened, discover the truth and hope that the worst of their worries was not warranted.

“I love you, now and beyond this life”, she had not said those words in a long time, but they still mean more to her than ever. She looked longingly into his blue eyes and recalled all the times they had done just this before battle. A kiss like it was to be their last. And she did not wish to let go of him out of this fear.

Coci was in two minds about the Gryphon joining them in this conflict, whatever it might be, as they are possibly the last of their kind and the idea of risk to them in any fight was a concern. And she had decided that once the situation was established, and if there was to be conflict, she would order Cloudancer home to Fridheim to take care of their cubs. Coci was far better in battle on the ground as it were.

As they took to the skies of Midvinter, wings of the gryphons stretching out capturing the up drafts from the mountain range, it never failed to raise her heart to the sight that fell before them. From up here the horizon reached for the Great Maw and beyond it, it was breathe taking .. and cold. Over her time flying on the back of this majestic creature, she had lost some of her fear of flying, even though white knuckled hands gripped Cloudancers feather fur firmly, her heart still raced with it all.

She flew side by side to Skywalker and Thurion, as Tháinbroek appeared to them in the distance, she turned to Thurion with a look that spoke of relief, the capital was unharmed but on ground she could see movement of Valkyri, in urgency and preparing for their King. However, something swirling in the far north, climbing high on the horizon was a swirling green light, “Thurion look!”, she pointed toward the sight, a sight never seen on Midvinter before this day.

[member="Thurion Heavenshield"] | [member="Audren Sykes"] | [member="Ylva Solveig"] | [member="Boo Heavenshield"]

Fun fact: squealing 11 year old boys sound a lot like squealing 11 year old girls.

Getting over the initial shock at being buried by the deluge of snow, the young Pantoran giggled as he shook and started to dig his way out. Then, he paused with the realization that he now had ample ammunition to use against His Royal Théo-ness.

Scooping up handfuls of snow, the boy packed it quickly into a rudimentary ball and started to rear it back...

...when he felt it.

Just what it was, he had no idea. It kind of felt like when he'd been on Sernpidal and encountered the reverie crystal, a shard of which he carried on his prayer bead chain.

Théo interrupted the boy's thought with a comment about their need to get out of here. "Oh," the boy uttered, confused. He let the snowball fall from his hand and just stood there a moment, letting both the feeling and the statement sink in. "O-okay."

The child turned to board the Tarly, when he noticed the lights in the sky.

Cocking his head to one side, the boy asked, "Is that... normal on your homeworld?"

He didn't no know anything about Midvinter.

[member="Théodred Heavenshield"]​

"These are not the actions of some band of roaming undead. Vinterbound do not leave corpses in their wake if they can help it."

Serious words, but this was where someone with more local knowledge was useful. It was logical that they didn't leave corpses behind given their nature, and like he'd stated they hadn't seemed to have enough brainpower to do this sort of thing. This action was one of intimidation. Had the townspeople simply disappeared it would have been a mystery. Maybe they'd moved unexpectedly, maybe something else. With this though, the bloody heads were proof that they'd been brutally killed. Whoever had done this wanted it known. And they hadn't left a calling card. That suggested this was just the first part.

"Do you have a name, friend? Do you bring news from the Woodland Realm?"

The words snapped Audren from his reverie.

"Audren Sykes. I'm not sure which Woodland Realm you speak of, but I left from the Fortress of Dawn several days ago. I sensed the slaughter while in the wilderness and followed it here."

The woman who claimed to know Theo had mounted her wolf - the Sephi could now see the gear allowing her to do so - and moved closer. She inquired what the Vinterbound were, which drew his attention to her more closely. She appeared to be one of the Valkyri, but something about her told him that wasn't the case. Clothing maybe, or the accent of how she spoke. He wasn't sure what it was but trusted the feeling.

Sithspawn, one of the many categorized as undead. I've only fought them once, years ago."

Just then the sky to the north began swirling with an almost-lurid green light. What little he'd seen of Sith alchemy could carry similar colors, though they tended to prefer red or black. He'd seen it on other worlds before, but never from this far away from the poles. Nor had it ever carried this sensation within the Force. His hand raised with finger pointed to bring it to the attention of the native man he was speaking with.

"Is that a common sight, Thyrion of House Hearthfire?"

[member="Ylva Solveig"] | [member="Thyrian Hearthfire"]​

Northmark

His fingers raced over the communication control panel, but nothing seemed to be working. There was some sort of interference, and all Théo could raise was static, but even still he tried just in case someone would hear him or could respond in part. "Fortress of Dawn, do you copy?", the channel only answered with the crackling. "This is Théo Heavenshield, do you copy?". His endeavours were in vain. Boo's question prompted him to look up again and out through the cockpit window to the heavens. The green swirling lights reached high into the sky, dancing there as if pulled by invisible strings from a master of puppetry.

More urgent was his mind set on contacting his parents, or anyone that could hear him, and he was about to try once more when he stopped and stared deep into the green lights. "No I have never seen this before, but I have never been this far north before". Although he answered Boo, he did not fathom his own word but Théo could not take his eyes off the lights. He could have sworn he could see a set of eyes looking at him, nothing more than that, but they held a sense of a smile in them. Eyes he had seen before ...

It could not be true? The tales of the Gods mere stories told to children or around the hearth in the Halls, drunk with the victory of battle. Théo had always deemed them as much, even though he had witness such strange events that would turn any mind to them, even rode on the back of divine creatures and still he held doubt. As for his grandpapa becoming such a thing, he had assumed it was his parents way of consoling him as a child for the lost of the man he loved so much. To look into the sky and see the Sun riding across Midvinter not only warmed the land but the hearts of the family.

"Stay on the ship", he uttered to Boo, had a feeling his son would not listen however.

He stood up, his body acting against his will and left the ship to find the lights once more, and they were still there looking down. They are not made of anything solid, but more a shift in the lights that formed them, there was mischief in the making of it. "It can't be", he said in a strangled voice as he raised his arm and opened the palm of his hand toward the south, Théo pulled the force to him strengthen his body and limbs and prepared for what this was, what was to come. You damned hag, he spat in his mind remembering the old woman at the Gateway of the Dead.

Théo ran back inside the ship, checked to see if any communications had been received but nothing, just more static so there was little point in even trying and he had a strong suspicion that the 'lights' had a great part in it, he just had only hope that his ship would work as well. There was more to the Damned Hag than he knew of, but he had a started to form an idea which was more frightening than anything but he still could not believe it, even shaking his head with the very idea of it.

To his relief the Tarly burst into life, engines roaring with the urgency of his want to depart and get back to Thainbroek, and soon the ship lifted off the ground and turned to the south.

[member="Boo Heavenshield"] | [member="Thurion Heavenshield"] | [member="Audren Sykes"] | [member="Ylva Solveig"]

Village of Daal

Ylva would be met with a sharp nod of approval; she would ride with them as requested. If it wasn't already, given her next question it became evident she was not native to Midvinter. Could've fooled him - in the span of minutes she has demonstrated more similarities with Valkyri women than there are stars in the heavens. He looked forward to learning of how she and his nephew happened to befriend one another. Her sense of justice alone was admirable, though he wagered telling her so would only be met with another prideful scoff. There was true steel in this one.

When the king's presumptions regarding the stranger's lineage were subsequently quashed, Thyrian could not help but feel like a complete moron. "Oh... I'm sorry, I thought you were... because of the, uh... You know what, nevermind," he quickly tried to change subjects, having discovered he was one of the Dawnguard which was more than enough for him to trust the man. Ylva's question had yet to be answered, after all.

"Aye, Sithspawn," he added to Audren's rather brief explanation. "Fallen warriors risen once more by foul magic. There used to an entire army's worth of them, but we broke them at their siege of Tháinbroek and they scattered to the farthest reaches of the north. They're little more than small bands of stragglers now, left wandering Midvinter without purpose. Their godsforsaken kind have plagued this world and her people for millennia." Preferring not to get into too much detail, he did not speak of his father's sacrifice and his own subsequent victory over the Sith artifact which drove them onward. They were not happy memories.

"My King," one of the men approached the three. "We have rounded up all the dead, or what was left of them..." he reported with both terror and disgust. "We are ready to send them." Thyrian turned to Ylva and Audren. "We would be honoured if you would join us," he bowed is head before making his way over to the village centre where rows upon rows of bodies were put on display. Many of them had had to be pieced together to even resemble the once-living. It was a devastating sight to behold for any man or woman.

The High King got down on one knee, soon followed by the others. "By the grace of the Allfather, He who chooses whom of his mortal children are blessed to follow him in death and guide them to the Golden Hall, we commit these brave souls unto Him for His judgement. May He provide them the peace they were denied in life, and grant us who yet draw breath the strength to carry on." There was a moment of silence, until Thyrian stood and reached out to place his hand upon the closest body. Suddenly all at once the hundred-or-so were set alight, and the embers reached high into the skies where Odiir presided.

It was brief ceremony, however, and once over the men swiftly returned to their duties and began gathering their horses. "We make for Tháinbroek," he told the two as his horse was brought to him. "I have summoned the war council and their bannermen to meet us there. Troops are being mobilised all over Midvinter. There is a war coming, rest assured. I don't know when or whom we will be fighting, but it's coming."

[member="Ylva Solveig"] | [member="Audren Sykes"]

Elsewhere...

The eldest Heavenshield differed from her brothers in many ways, and not just due to the fact she does not share the blood of their parents. No, there is not a bone yearning for glory in battle or to test her might against insurmountable odds in her, nor does she feel the need to devote herself to a single venture or enterprise. Midvinter is her home; her father and brothers all claim heritage from the Valkyri, and her mother will always stand by her husband's side. Nina, however, was a devotee of knowledge and exploration. She was no great warrior like her brothers, instead preferring to seek knowledge in whatever shape or form it would take. Sure, being a Jedi Master she could more than handle herself in a fight, but she could never equal the raw martial prowess the rest of her family was known for.

Since returning to Midvinter, Nina has journeyed far and wide without any real goal or destination. Her first stop had been the island of Heimland, home of the Beorni, where she was reunited with an old friend of hers. [member="Arnor Oathsworn"] and she had first met in the aftermath of the Sith invasion years ago, where the two shared a tender moment, one quiet soul to another. While Arnor did not exactly share her thirst for knowledge, he did feel they shared a kinship of sorts and thus agreed to accompany her on her journeys across Midvinter. He'd barely gotten to see any of it save for the same island he and so many of his kind grew up on.

So it was that Nina came riding down a well-travelled road, sitting astride the back of her white-furred friend who had taken to wandering the lands on all fours. An odd sight to behold for any passerby to be sure, to see a young woman riding around on a sentient polar bear that positively dwarfed her! She would sit atop his backside and marvel at the sights and direct Arnor where to go next with the use of her trusty map, and together they would help whoever they came across however they could.

5oNenth.jpg

"Look, Arnie," she said and pointed to the skies once they rounded the base of a mountain. "Do you see those strange lights in the sky?" Arnie, as she had come to call him, said nothing as was his custom and simply looked where the girl pointed, letting out a low rumble. "What do you think they could mean?" It was not a question she expected answers to, at least not for the time being.

Consulting her map for their current whereabouts, she concluded that those strange lights emanated from the north of their position. "Take a right here," she told him as they arrived at a crossroad. Arnor happily complied and plodded off in said direction, past a pair of signs which read "Fridheim" and "Tháinbroek" respectively. "It's time we returned to civilisation." The capital was a good place to start her search for an answer.

The Woodland Realm of Averlorn

Soft pointed ears twitched, turning in all directions taking in every sound within the woodland realm around her, the creatures of the forest were quiet today, although still in presence of their surroundings. They had taken to their homes, their dens in which they seek safety against any fear or threat to them. Their places in which they raise their young and continue the march of life. The trees tall and proud whispered a tale that did not tell of good omen, but soft voices sending a forewarning but lacked the ability to give detail. Whether through design of inability, there is always a test within their words.

Iòunn crouched down and placed her open palm against the ground, resting nestled within the long grasses of the forest bed, she could feel it, Midvinter's heart was bleeding. And the sense of death seeped into the soil running deep down and will remain there forevermore. Souls lifted to the skies, sensed on the wind crying out against life taken to short, and sorrow for unspent time, regrets and love lost. She looked up into the sky, Iòunn did not see the lights as they are shrouded from her sight by the tall oak and pine, but something was coming.

She had grown much, now standing a woman of youth in her body but there was still much to learn in life, although her powers had increased greatly. The Frostvatn had granted her, blessed her with such a great and mighty gift. No Jedi will she ever be, but it would never be needed as there is more to the power within the galaxy than doctrine. Iòunn now desperate to find her mother and father, they must sense it too? maybe her mother, the Queen, had the answers.

From her crouching start she ran back toward her village, a clipping pace with light of feet speed, her arms and hands reaching out to push back any impediment in her way and darted through the undergrowth until she found the bridge that crosses the waters to her village. She made for home but they are not there, they would return in time she knew but for now she could only wait. There was a growing concern for her father, he would want to go and see for himself, the whispers ... nothing good was going to come from this.

And fear set in.

Ylva Heavenshield

Y
Of the Sith, Ylva Solveig had only heard rumors and by her lack of experience she could only really compare these people to other men and women with an equal heart of black. [member="Théodred Heavenshield"] had only very recently (in the last couple weeks) introduced her to the Force and exposed her force sensitivity, everything beyond that remained unfortunately elusive and a mystery to her as of yet; though that was not to say that she hadn't experienced the dark and malicious deeds of bad men. Hell, she had been raised by such peoples.

[member="Audren Sykes"] seemed very much the composure of formality and intelligence in much the same way that [member="Ióunn Wuduælfen"] had in their meeting just over a months passing. While he denied the claim of familiarity from [member="Thyrian Hearthfire"], Ylva could not help but too see the likeness in their appearance's and thus almost released a soft chuckle under her breath as Thyrian made something of an awkward comment to which she could only presume he was pointing out the man's ears. The Aelver having a similar shape and point to their own.

The matter of the Undead was however a subject for which allowed no splendor in humor nor a smile; old folk tales that the Clan Solveig had told her during her rough childhood meant to frighten her now seemed to be coming back in mind as the juvenile terrors she once suffered whilst clinging to her blanket beneath the star lit skies now seemed to be so much more possible by the mutual accounts of the group. She herself had never set eyes upon such things, though the way that the village had been slaughtered and left out in display for they unlucky few to tread upon was nigh unlike anything she had experienced before.

Their send-off was quick, yet carried a sense of honor as it progressed and in the end left Ylva feeling as though they were given the best of rites made available in such dire circumstance. For this small ceremony, she had remained behind the others with the great Ursine Wolf by her side, Bjomolf who had come to accept that their surrounding peers were of no threat to either of them any longer, had instead turned his attention to sniffing the blood soaked earth and biting and chewing whatever remains hadn't been picked up around him.

"We make for Tháinbroek".
In his announcement, Ylva was gladdened to hear of a place that she were familiar with. Returning to Bjomolf, he hands climbing the side of the beast and hoisting herself up to swing one leg over the side, saddled atop of him, she towered over those that rode by horseback. The path to come would see her put at some distance away from the rest of their group so not to startle the more timid of beasts that would carry the legion on their errant venture. This War Council of Thyrian's sounded very much like something that Théo would be involved in; if not him then at-least his family or some of his relatives given they were supposedly some sort of figureheads within the land. His Uncle atleast acted like some sort of leader and his men obeyed and respected him without question, such a loyalty that came over time with the right incentive and having earned such a thing, Ylva felt comfortable that she was, for once, in the right place at the right time when things were all turning to kriff.

[member="Thurion Heavenshield"] | [member="Thyrian Hearthfire"] | [member="Théodred Heavenshield"] | [member="Velkar Odiirson"] | [member="Teign Hœgr"]
[member="Dawnbringer"] | [member="Boo Heavenshield"] | [member="Audren Sykes"] | [member="Kahne Porte"] | [member="Coci Heavenshield"]

So, this wasn't normal?

Or, it was, and Théo had just never been this far north. Whichever might be the case. Neither of which answered the question that the young Pantoran had asked. In fact, if anything, Boo was more confused now than when he'd first asked the question. Talking to Théos was good for that sort of thing, he'd discovered.

Heavenshields were great at lightsabering. But answering a simple question with a straight answer? Not so much, no.

"Stay on the ship"

Wait, what?

The blue-skinned boy was trying to fathom just what was happening; meanwhile, Sir Théo of What-Fresh-Hell-is-This was making for the loading ramp. "Why?" the boy posited. "What's going on?"

...and there he went.

The loading ramp door slammed shut behind Théo, the sound echoing through the interior of the ship. The Pantoran gave a huff as he found himself left behind. This wasn't what he'd had in mind when Théo had used the phrase family vacation.

Then, suddenly the door flew open again, as the Pantoran was nearly bowled over by a Théo who was moving like his hair was on fire and his arse was catching.

If this was what Heavenshield vacations were like, Boo was going to need a vacation from his vacation.

[member="Théodred Heavenshield"]​

Tháinbroek

Having seen father off as he rode out through the gates of the capital followed by his royal escort earlier that day, Thrand had spent the next few hours honing his swordsmanship wielding the mighty sword of his grandfather and namesake. By now the Sun Prince had grown into a young man, though still a teenager he was far from a child; tall and considerably strong for his age, even by Valkyri standards. It was evident to all that the would-be king took after his father in size and stature, yet also possessed the grace and beauty of his mother. He wasn't just a skilled fighter, but also a lover of the arts - music especially.

In recent years, Thrand had discovered more and more about the mystical power his parents call the Force, and how it was part of him just as them. He'd been instructed on the art of meditation; how to draw upon the Force to seek wisdom and ease his worries when feeling troubled. Above all, he'd learned that through the Force he was able to sense his dearest friend, wherever she was in the world. [member="Ióunn Wuduælfen"] had come to occupy more and more of his thoughts with each year that passed. While far from skilled enough to be able to sense her thoughts, let alone converse with her, it was a great comfort to him just knowing she was out there, somewhere.

When the hours marched on, the prince began to worry for his father. It was not long ago that the skies had been set alight, shimmering in every shade of green there was, which many thought of as a dire omen. Thrand chose to reserve judgement wether such truly was the case, for he knew not to jump to conclusions where the unknown was concerned. Before the High King rode out, he had sent word to all his bannermen to gather at the capital to attend the War Council, as well as muster their armies. Watching from his bedroom window, Thrand saw the first warbands arrive at the main gate. They flew the banner of the snarling wolf; Clan Wintertooth, from the Eastmark.

As his gaze wandered up toward the skies, however, he could distinguish two black spots against the unnaturally lit sky, and they appeared to be moving closer to the city. His emerald eyes squinted, before widening as he realised. "Uncle Thurion? Auntie Coci?"

"Oh... I'm sorry, I thought you were... because of the, uh... You know what, nevermind."

Audren couldn't help but give a small grin at that. Now he understood what Hearthfire had been talking about; apparently the Aelvar lived in the woods somewhere. That only narrowed it down to...well, no, that didn't narrow it down a bit. The Valkyr wasn't the first to comment on the close resemblance to the natives, he himself had noticed it. Research into the matter had to wait until he could talk to representatives of the species though, and they were not very forthcoming.

Thyrian's change of subject was over to the subject of the Vinterbound themselves. He gave a slight expansion of their origins, then an estimate of current numbers in comparison to before. 'Small bands of stragglers' was hardly a precise estimate, but when compared to an army's-worth it was positively cheerful. There was more that he did not say, that much the Jedi could determine, but prying was not an intent at this point in time.

An eyebrow was raised slightly when the approaching warrior referred to Thyrian as 'king', for multiple reasons. While the man certainly carried the regality of a king, he did not have the standoffish bearing seen with most royalty the Sephi had interacted with. Especially Force-sensitive royalty. And he'd been standing there talking to the two of them, even offered them the option to join them for the funeral. He supposed that even with what little he knew of Thurion, he should have expected something of this sort. The ceremony itself was short, the body parts having been gathered together then set aflame by a manipulation of the Force. That manipulation was itself fairly impressive: there had to have been nearly a hundred bodies that all lit at the same moment. A pyromancy focus.

The move back to Tháinbroek was smart. A central location for the leaders of the various groups to gather and organize. He had to hope that didn't leave the other communities defenseless, but also had to assume that Thyrian and the war chiefs knew what they were doing in that regard. If another attack of this sort happened while they were strategizing, embarrassment would be the least of their problems. Transport, however, would be among Audren's if he planned on attending; he'd come here by foot. He could do the same to get to the city, he'd just be a bit slower than everyone else.

[member="Ylva Solveig"] | [member="Thyrian Hearthfire"]​

The Tarly

Whatever was running interference to the ships communications had not effected the Tarly's operations, and so the ship lifted off the ground with ease and Théo turned the ship to the south headed toward Thainbroek, in a hope to find someone there that might be able to tell them both what was going on. Something was going on, it was clinging to the air thick and heavy. Boo was not alone in confusion, but Théo pushed his to the back of his mind for now and centered his concentration flying the ship, which was not traveling at a leisurely pace. There was also the hope that once further away from those strange green lights in the sky, communications would be restored.

"I don't know what is going on Boo, but maybe someone in Thainbroek will", he finally answered Boo's question, and he began to worry about the rest of the family and of course. Ylva. Where was she?

As they approached the city, Théo could see a long line of troops flying their colours and coming in from all directions and it was obvious to him the Bannerman had been summoned to the King, his uncle and taking his gaze to the skies, two winged creatures cut through the air and began descending to ground just as the Tarly would do the same and land in the fields before the great gates of Thainbroek.

"So mother and father have come", he said aloud, which only confirmed that something was rotten in the state of Midvinter, and he knew everyone would be gathering in the Grand Hall.

Although Théo had visited Thainbroek many times since the death of his grandpapa mainly to check on the operations of the Howlin' Wolf, he had not step foot in the Grand Hall since. It just wasn't the same place anymore, Thrand Dawnbringer was dead, the Heavenshields had moved out .. it was someone else's home now even though it was his birth place, he felt like a stranger there.

The ramp lowered to the ground crunching in the ice, the sight of metal ships falling from the sky had become a known sight to the Valkyri now and there was no need to shield them from it. Although they still had this in amazement, especially the elders who of which still deem it a bad omen and considering the past in which death only followed the ships, it was warranted but not from them.

Clan Wintertooth from the Eastmark had passed through the gates, coming up behind them on the road from the Southmark was the famous banner of Clan Sabina of Rildonmark flying the rampant stallion and clan to the famous Shieldmaiden Aerin Firebrand. Where was she now? all reports indicated that she simply vanished after the battle in which the Dawnbringer was killed, she is still alive somewhere. But it was heartening and disconcerting at the same time that the Midvinter cavalry had been summon.

"Come on Boo, we had better get a move on".
[member="Boo Heavenshield"] | [member="Ylva Solveig"] | [member="Audren Sykes"] | [member="Thurion Heavenshield"]

Arriving at Tháinbroek

Fortunately the weather was in their favour with no snowfall clouding their line of sight, easing the flight from the Fortress of Dawn atop the Blessed Peak all the way to the capital, and it didn't take long until the City of Tháinbroek appeared far below in the distance. Neither Skywalker nor his mate Cloudancer showed signs of exhaustion despite the hasty flight, filled with just as much purpose as their riders.

As they descended upon the city, the Tarly could be seen sweep in from the north to set down just outside and Thurion could not help but smile at the thought of seeing his son again, despite the circumstances. The same could be said about his brother and his family; both brothers had been busy with their respective duties to their people, and it seemed they only saw each other during times of turmoil. That being said, there had yet to be any concrete evidence that the situation warranted this much attention or precaution. At least as far as Thurion and Coci were concerned.

Skywalker made his landing within the city centre alongside Cloudancer, setting down right by the stature of the Dawnbringer towering above them all. Already the city was getting packed with clans and warbands from all over Midvinter. Their arrival seldom went unnoticed by the locals, for the appearance of thought-extinct gryphons was ever followed by the Heavenshields setting foot in the city. "Hey, dad," Thurion offered a quick greeting as he dismounted, sliding down the side of Skywalker until his feet hit the ground. No sign of the High King yet, perhaps he had yet to return from his visit to Daal?

"City sure doesn't change much over the years, does it," he commented for Coci to hear, one hand petting the feathery mane of his animal companion as he looked around. In fact Tháinbroek looked just about the same as it did the first time he saw it, before his father's rebellion when he was but a stranger to this world. Nina was but a small child at the time, and he had not even met Coci. It was a strange feeling, remembering a time without her by his side.

They had only walked a few steps before their firstborn appeared before them, along with Boo in tow. It was good to know the little one was safe within the city. "My son," he walked up and embraced him tight. "Any news from Thyrian? I take it he sent word to you as he did us?" There was a sense of confusion surrounding this whole situation, as nobody seemed to really know what was going on. Hopefully his brother's return would bring much-needed answers.

[member="Coci Heavenshield"] | [member="Boo Heavenshield"]

Also arriving at Tháinbroek

They rode hard and fast for the capital, the band of twenty-odd men and women, including the recent and welcomed addition of [member="Ylva Solveig"] and [member="Audren Sykes"] - both of whom sat astride the back of her great white wolf as there were no horses to spare. The king's banner of silver against crimson field fluttered wildly in the wind throughout their gallop across the open field as all who had witnessed the barbarism displayed at Daal tried putting these gruesome images behind them along with the village itself. At the very least they had given the poor sods a decent burial; their souls were now for the gods to tend to.

Tháinbroek was hard to miss as it's tall towers were visible all the way from Daal, creeping just over the horizon. As they got back on the open road connecting the Crownlands with the Westmark, ending all the way at Fridheim, the many colours of his brother's bannermen accompanied the line of troops also heading east towards the capital. And at the very front of the thousands of warriors were Thurion's own, spearheaded by the elite and revered Lionguard who carried the banner of House Heavenshield; the golden lion against a deep-blue field. Carts of supplies accompanied them, carrying weapons and provisions to sustain the army during their encampment along the way as well as once within the city walls.

The soldiers all cheered as the High King's escort rode past, and Thyrian himself could not help but feel at ease in the presence of his countrymen. Heading towards the front of the miles-long line of troops, there was one familiar face amongst his brother's bannermen he could make out. "Belegar," he greeted the old man from atop his horse, having slowed down to a walk in order for them to converse. "How fares the Warriors of Westmark? I sure am glad to see you fine folk." The weathered warrior belted out a bellow of laughter, as he so often did. "I'll tell ya this, Your Grace, the lads have never looked more ready for a fight. Haven't had a good scrap in years!" Beside the man walked his grandson Pyp, now a young man looking eager for his first-ever battle.

Thyrian flashed the man a grin at his confident assessment of the troops, before noticing a rather strange shape lurking under the blankets of the cart pulled just behind Belegar and Pyp. One that appeared a lot more soft and human-shaped than it should. Riding just close enough to give the bump a good push with his boot, it gave off a soft "oof" in response. "Alright, come out, you. I know you're under there." Begrudgingly, a boy emerged looking none-too-pleased to have been found out so close to his goal. Thyrian, meanwhile, had not expected this turn of events.

"Thirdas," he greeted the blonde-haired lad with a disapproving frown. "How good it is to see you here, of all places, nephew..." There was no attempt at hiding the sarcasm in his voice, knowing his parents would not be happy to see their youngest. Though perhaps they prefer he be here in the capital which, considering the circumstances, is most likely the safest place for anyone at the moment.

There was a deep sigh as Thyrian then laid eyes upon the open gates of Tháinbroek. No point in sending the boy back home now. "Just stay put for now, you hear? Find your mother and father once inside." Urging his horse onwards, the High King and his escort finally entered the city now filled to the brim with men and women from across the realm, ready to do their part should there be a battle. Riding up the cobbled street towards the city centre, there was no missing the appearance of two large gryphons sat by the foot of his father's statue, along with Thurion, Coci and Théo all in one place, along with a young boy he had not seen before.

[member="Coci Heavenshield"] | [member="Boo Heavenshield"]

Entering the Great Gates of Tháinbroek

He turned back to look across the flowing field as some many banners had arrived and made camp there, his ship, the Tarly was surrounded with tents and men and it would draw plenty of attention as some would never have seen such a thing in their lives. No doubt Théo would return to his ship to find sword marks on the hull or struts as the men would test it's metal. He smiled at the thought of it, before turning back and walking through the open gates. Those that recognised him would stop and give him the respect of his title on these lands, he is a prince after all, and warrior to the people and more importantly to him, a Heavenshield.

A gentle hand resting on Boo's shoulders, guided them both toward the statue of the Dawnbringer, Théo knew his father would be found there, mother would be with him. "Look", he pointed showing Boo the Gryphons on which his grandparents arrived. Plenty of Valkyri had not seen them in their life time, so this sight was rare indeed. Horns in the distance heralded the coming of the Hearthfire, his uncle had not been in the city apparently, after all Théo had not been aware of any of this, no summon he received.

"Father, mother", he said smiling always happy to see them well, and it would not be proper for his father not to take hold of him in an embrace that would throttle a mere mortal. After his father had released him, Théo gently kissed his mother's cheek holding her gently, it would be something new in this ways that both of them would never have witnessed. A more graceful nature to him. But Boo would have to fend for himself in the grip of his grandfather.

"I have heard nothing from my Uncle, I was hoping you might have news", he turned to topic to the current events. "I got here as fast as I could, there was something in the Northmark that seemed out of place, odd", he could not find the words, how could he explain what he had witnessed or the fact that he had a feeling that something more divine was the author of it. They would think him mad.

He was actually relieved when the horns grew louder and soon Uncle Thyrian would ride through the Gates.

[member="Thurion Heavenshield"] | [member="Ylva Solveig"] | [member="Boo Heavenshield"] | [member="Audren Sykes"]

Ylva Heavenshield

Y
Arrival at Tháinbroek

Bjomolf stood out among these soldiers like a sore thumb, the great bulking beast of Spintir not seen the likes of Midvinter nor having ever been surrounded by so many well armored and formidable men and women of the Valkyri Legions, Ylva herself had to admit that even though shoe rode astride the great Ice Wolf, he of whom had forever protected her with a fierce loyalty, even she found herself feeling not only out of place here but so too entirely unprepared.

Trained by a band of rogues whom called themselves a clan, living upon a world where people were scarce and those that did well were eventually pillaged and killed, Ylva herself at often times found herself at odds with authority figures; it was thus she suddenly questioned what in seven hells she were doing walking into the den of Midvinter's most fearsome lion's, so to speak.

Behind her, [member="Audren Sykes"] had seemed content to walk much of the route that they took, though Ylva were not selfish in the least despite her inability to relate with most peoples easily, had he the wish to forgot the trek and instead take to the back of Bjomolf, the Ice Wolf would have allowed it. With that one however, not only did he look like an Aelvar but so too did Ylva feel as though he carried their strength of independence. He did not seem proud so much as he appeared to be educated and confident within himself, an admirable trait for any lone person to hold within themselves.

[member="Théodred Heavenshield"] naturally wasn't far from her mind either, for that matter. What would he say were he to learn what sort of situation she had found herself in. It hadn't entirely occurred to her that he would already be present within the Tháinbroek, yet he seemed to have the feeling that he would somehow manage to find her even among all these thousands of helmeted heads holding pikes, banners and arms sheathed. Never had she seen the strength of Midvinter so present in one place, so often used to coming upon the odd patrol and offering her greetings though otherwise much like Ilum and the worlds of the Iron Empire, she wandered ever so the lone huntress and self-proclaimed (yet never spoken of) Warden of the lands she cared for.

Following behind the apparent King's banner-men, Ylva found herself recieving all sorts of odd looks. Some meant to be intimidating while others looked more curious than anything. For whatever their perceptions of her, Bjomolf let nothing get too close to them without giving the mean upon either side a quick and daring snap of his large jaws, the likes that could easily snap bones their size. "Easy boy..." Ylva rubbed firmly against the side of his neck with her left hand, soon to give him a heft pat to ensure that he remembered whom he carried. They were indeed a curious pair, a Woman and a foreign and Ursine beast whom held a loyalty for one another the likes of most families might; perhaps in part because neither one of them had ever experienced what a true family was, yet both understood what it meant to be wild and alone.

"This is one helluva show...".

Thainbroek
Midvinter
She had heard the commotion which marked the arrival of many.

Worry had been present within the Queen of Midvinter for what felt like days, but how long it truly was she could not for the life of her deduce. It had not been long - a week at most - since the arrival of two new Hearthfire's graced their world, and as such she had found herself left behind with a troupe of heavily armed men when the West was summoned and her beloved husband marched from their home.

It was one of the few times during which Kära held no desire to find out what was happening. She had not asked questions when he told her he had to go, she had kissed him with all the intensity that a love like theirs bore, she had sent him on his way with all the blessings of the Gods she could muster, and then she had watched over their twins in ignorance.

Ignorance.

Something she had once despised. But what use was it to know and to worry when there was so little she could do to help?

So it was that when she heard the clamour that marked their arrival she hurried through the Great Hall and stood within the doorway of its grand entrance. The little ones were fast asleep, though Thora had been particularly fussy for most of the day so it had come as quite a surprise when she finally settled, with a guard posted both inside and outside of their room.

For a moment she could see nothing, and then the Gates began to open and those she loved most dearly in the world began to grace the streets.

It took every ounce of willpower she owned not to go running down the road toward them. Instead she remained put, waiting for her family to near.

~~~~

Hiding with [member='Thirdas Heavenshield']
Thainbroek
Midvinter

[member='Kida'] had taken quite the liking to young 'Furr'.

Since he had discovered her in the forest near Fridheim the little shapeshifter had stuck close by him, he was a sheer reminder of days long since gone, the boy she had known - identical in all save his eyes - and she had discovered with much confusion that such was because her 'Furr' was the son of her 'Furry'. Seeing [member='Thurion Heavenshield'] again after so long had been heartbreaking. While they had met once before as adult and child for some reason it had felt different seeing him surrounded by family and duty and honour. Surreal.

When Thirdas came to the City so too had she, and when the scary man with fiery eyes stared down the lad she felt a primal instinct to step in and protect him. Of course she knew that he was capable of watching over himself, he had quite the fang that he carried on his belt. Quite the young cub indeed. So she had hung back, watched, muscled poised ready to pounce should the need arise.

But it didn't.

The man gave his command and then continued on his way, and with the attention gone from the lion cub Kida stepped forward toward him from the shadows and wrinkled up her face.

She was getting better at this upright thing every day. Thirdas was patient, as patient as his father had been at his age, and no more did she wobble and seem to want to topple when she walked. She still lacked much in the way of a voice, but it was progress at least.

"Scary monster" she whispered, watching the back of [member='Thyrian Hearthfire'] as the man vanished further down the street.

How was she to know that he was the King, not just that but the boys Uncle? The intricacies of such things remained lost on her.

On the edge of Thainbroek
Midvinter

Freya_800X418-NT_FINALSmall.jpg

From on high she observed them as they approached, and ventured into, the Great City of Thainbroek.

How long had it been since she had truly graced this world with her presence? Since she had felt the frigid winds of Midvinter upon her face in a form not belonging to the Vhaanir?

Truth be told Éar was probably the one who visited this mortal realm the most, especially in recent years, with or without her Father's blessing. You see, war was simply something she could not help but observe - or stick her nose right in as the case may have been, as with the Fight for Thainbroek when the two wanton children had entered her forest domain in search of guidance - and the promise of a good fight was much too difficult to pass up. Vinterbound, Outlanders, it did not matter who brought the battle to their door.

This, however, was different.

This was decreed by Odiir himself, her presence here. And that of the Sun God of course.

She had arrived early. Éar was always early. She liked to watch the last thread fall into place, that moment where uncertainty and chaos came to a head. Had the circumstances been any different she might have used this excess of time to hunt, another reason she descended to the mortal realm, but for whatever reason she could not tear her gaze from that City which sat below.

"Soon," she whispered on the wind, her voice a purr, one hand raising as she conjured into existence the bow for which she was known, "Soon you shall see use again..."

But not yet.

Not quite.

[member="Ylva Solveig"] [member="Théodred Heavenshield"] [member="Thurion Heavenshield"] [member="Audren Sykes"] [member="Boo Heavenshield"]

"I too have sensed something dire, looming in the darkness," he told Théo, brows furrowed in concern. "Not even when the Sith invaded did I feel such unease..." he added, though perhaps the reason for such was due to him being familiar with their ilk. This was something... different. Something unknown. And that alone was far more terrifying than any common Sith threat. They were only allowed a minute or so together until the High King arrived in the city, rushing up the street towards the city centre. "Thyrian," he called out to him as he drew close. "Thank the gods you're safe!" As the king dismounted Thurion wasted no time greeting him with a brotherly embrace, and Thyrian was quick to return it.

"I could say the same to you," he gave him a pat on the shoulder, trying to put up a brave face. "Coci, Théodred," he greeted the two respectively with a simple nod. Now wasn't the time for lengthy welcomes, and part of him was still shaken by the things he'd seen at Daal. Thyrian paused as he looked upon the statue of their family patriarch, always getting the feeling the old man would come alive and solve whatever ails them. But he knew better, and instead let out a soft sigh before getting back to business.

"The War Council is convening within the throne room as we speak. There is still no word from Clans Stonewall and Sunderfang, but troops are still pouring in so they're bound to show up eventually." Thurion turned to his wife and took her hand in his, and briefly his eyes met hers for a tender moment, gazing upon her with the utmost adoration and love. "Come on, we better head inside," he said softly before leading her up the steps towards the Great Hall. As the Warden of the West and Grandmaster of the Dawnguard respectively, Thurion and Coci both had permanent seats on the War Council.

Before joining them, Thyrian looked around to see [member="Ylva Solveig"] sat upon her bestial mount, and promptly grabbed Théo's attention. "The redhead tells me she's with you," he informed his nephew. "We... bumped into one another, at Daal. She dropped your name." He then gave him a pair of pats on the shoulder before following his brother and sister-in-law up the stairs, for he too could not wait to be reunited with his beloved currently awaiting him atop the very same steps. He even rushed past them the last few steps and dived into Kära's arms, kissing her deeply and even lifting her off the ground as he did.

Once inside, the throne room had been rearranged in preparation for the council, having placed four of the tables in a square at the centre so that all may face one another as equals. Even the High King himself would step down from his throne to join the others, sitting beside them without pomp or ceremony. The heads of all the most influencial clans, houses and orders had already gathered and patiently waited for this emergency session to begin.

[member="Coci Heavenshield"] | [member="Kära Hearthfire"] | [member="Audren Sykes"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom