Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We Are the Children of the Sun [Open to Dawnguard]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISDqBm37zos​

Her night passed in reassurance that Thurion was healed, that the two were looked over by their father. She could also sense their son, Théo who did not seek the solace of a bed but instead rested outside the room on a bench just as eager to see his father awake come the dawn. The shifting imagines in her mind were not those of the battle, but shrouds of mists in which both she and Thurion walked, it was difficult to tell if it was this world or the next but she did not care, no matter which world it was, she would be walking by his side.

There was warmth, resting in her hand and spreading throughout her body as the morning sun cut through soft rolling curtains of white and bathing everything in a pale yellow. The songs of bird’s unseen, caused Coci to lift her gaze above the mists and into the tree tops before she turned to Thurion and smiled. Her eyes fluttered open and for a moment she forgot where she was and what had happened, and all that mattered was the feeling of his hand in her’s but the moment of bliss vanished as she remembered. Coci’s head snapped to the side looking for him and she was met with a smile as he gazed upon her.

She squeezed his hand gently and managed a weak smile in return but she already knew, she had seen his wounds before he was transported here. Within herself she could feel her body mended, the broken ribs and cuts all a thing of the past, even her old wounds, the burn from Kaine’s saber on her thigh was no long tight with the gnarled fresh but the scar remained. “I love you”, she whispered for his ears only, as softly as the breeze pushing at the curtains. “No matter what”. She wanted to reassure him that nothing could ever stop her heart.

Coci did not let go of his hand but with the other pushed back the covers on her body and moved to sit by his side. He would not follow her face, but her gentle hand reached for his chin and turned it herself until his face was shown to her. It was as she feared, he had lost his sight in his left eye. Scars matter nothing to her but she was in pain for him and if she could take that away for him she would. The wounds of battle will heal in time but this was different and she knew this would take a toll on his soul.

She leaned downward and kisses his lips still as warm as the first time their lips met, before she pressed her lips to his forehead over the scar the wretched hag imprinted him with. Coci let go of his hand only to place both on his cheeks as looked deeply in his eyes. “We endure, we will endure together”. They always did and they always will. She kissed him again with the full force of love and passion for the only man that she will ever love.

[member="Thurion Heavenshield"]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9jUrRZO9s&t=107s​

Coci's urging to show her the full severity of his permanent state had him fight her ever-so-slighty, but it proved a fruitless endeavour as part of him did not wish to deny her. His eyes closed in protest, although as she prevailed in her bid to reveal his injuries he felt compelled to oblige her. His eyes opened to look up at her where she now sat at his bedside, still having to turn to her fully in order to see her proper, and revealed to her the lasting damage done to him; his eye no longer blue like its twin, but instead a dead thing, forever shrouded in pale nothingness. Where he had expected a reaction similar to his own however, Coci simply leaned down to place his lips upon his.

When she spoke next he could no longer help himself and began crying, so utterly smitten by her refusal to let this become a hinderance of any sort. While some of the tears were shed to lament his sorry state, they were overwhelmingly shed in relief that they both were safe and still very much alive. Though he could not feel nor see her hand upon his left cheek, he knew it was there all the same and when she kissed him next he returned it fully, passion and all and his arms reached out to wrap themselves around her shoulders to hold her close. He even went so far as to pull her into bed with him, having her lay beside him and let their kiss last for as long as humanly possible.

"I was so frightened," he whispered once their kiss ended and tears subsided. "That one of us would be left without the other. The thought alone terrified me, and still does. I could not fathom a life without you in it, and at the same time feared that I would leave you to wander alone." His forehead pressed to hers, and the tips of their noses touched. "I am yours, and you are mine. In this life and the next." Again they kissed, so tenderly and with the utmost care for the other. "I may no longer be whole, but with you I shall always be complete, my sweet Coci."

As their powerful Force bond provided the other with the strength to overcome anything, Thurion took to slowly rise from where he lay, pulling himself back up on his elbows to fully take in his surroundings. "We are in Averlorn, yes? Father mentioned the Aelvar and their queen, and I do not recognise any of these symbols and markings," he said, referring to the carvings upon the walls and ceiling he'd had ample time to familiarise himself with. "Help me up," he then asked of her and had her stand beside the bed and pull him up on his feet. Standing proved a difficult matter - walking even more so - yet he persisted with an arm wrapped around Coci's shoulders for support. It went slow at first, as he only managed shuffles akin to those of an elderly man, but he soon braved more defined steps and his strides increased with each one.

"I feel like I have been asleep for ages," he told her as every muscle ached and his bones had stiffened up something fierce. "I could do with a walk," he added with a smile and a chuckle, for who made the worst patients if not doctors and healers themselves? They made for the exit, and as the day approached high noon they were struck by its warmth and light. Thurion stood for a moment to soak it all up, basking in its radiance until his eyes opened to immediately find their firstborn snoozing on a bench just outside. His heart soared with the knowledge that Théo was unharmed and rather than rouse him from his slumber he leaned down to gently caress his bearded cheek. "Our little boy," he remarked as if time had gone back twenty years.

"He's right, you know," he then said to Coci. "I should grow out my beard again. I must admit I've kinda missed it," he winked at her. His expression soon shifted from that of levity to that of utter reverence. "Take me to it," he asked of Coci who then helped him over to where the statue of a woman he did not know stood, lacking in ceremony yet never in grace. There, upon the small table she watched over, lay the unmistakable remains of his most trusted of companions. His steps became heavier as they approached it, and with outstretched hand he traced each piece in turn, from pommel to tip. But when he then reached for the grip with the intention to grasp it once more, his will faltered and his hand began to tremble beyond his power to stop it.

Pulling back from the attempt, he instead took to resting his hand upon its hilt. "You have earned your rest, old friend," he spoke with great fondness, and his gaze was raised to look the woman statue in the eyes. "Take good care of it. Please..." The sound of footsteps made him turn where he stood, as people began to gather around the pair; they had seen how husband and wife had emerged alive and well from the Houses of Healing, and wished to bask in their presence. The crowd looked like they did not know what to believe, and there was a great sense of hesitation as to what was to happen next. But as the High King himself emerged, the crowd parting before him, Thyrian walked up to his brother and sister-in-law and exchanged only a couple of looks to the both of them and with a raised hand protested them from bowing.

"You bow to no-one," were his only words.

Instead, Thyrian himself knelt before them, keeping his gaze fixed on theirs at all times. The crowd soon followed suit, honouring the sacrifice of these two who had battled the Crone - a god - and lived. Thurion took a moment to let it all sink in, before he too slumped to the ground and embraced his older brother. Off to the side stood the Bringer of Dawn, beaming and bursting with warmth and joy.

[member="Coci Heavenshield"]

Her brow pulled inward at his words as she remained with her forehead pressed to his. Thurion's words so heartbreaking and yet she found herself furious with him at the same time, she shook her head before searching for the right words. "Do you think I would let you wander the realm of death alone?", her question laden heavy with a revelation that he may not understand. Very few people survive a sudden break in a force bond as strong as theirs, history shows only two that had been documented and they only survived through the will of the force. She is getting older, stronger yes but so too was their bond and Coci knew that if he died, so would she. It is the reason she does not fear death, and life would cease to exist without him.

"Now and beyond this life", their wedding vow, he would know it.

As for him not being whole simply because he lost sight in an eye, she looked at him hard but stayed her words for another time instead she helped him off the bed and wander the room teetering like a infant but she did not stop him, as she felt it was a good thing to get the body moving, hers as well. They passed their boy asleep on the bench, "I have him to thank for my life you know", she whispered not to wake him. "And that madman", although she believe Thurion would never admit it, that the God of Mischief had prevented his death with eruption and balls of molten lava, it distracted the hag long enough to take her focus off killing them both.

Coci chuckled at the mention of his beard, in truth she missed it too, although she would regret not being able to see his handsome face. "You boys and your beards, honestly". But Thurion's heart was heavy, she could sense it and everything was still fresh and raw, and by the gods the sword was still hot from the battle and only recently laid to rest.

It was only now Coci let go of him, as he approached the shards of Snowfall. It meant so much to him, had saved his life countless times and had become a symbol of the Dawnguard in power and strength of purpose to all that entered the halls. She allowed him the moment to his thoughts as sometimes there are no words that can heal a sorrow. However, she turned and watched as people began to gather around them, confused by the sudden reverence. Thyrian pushed through the crowd and she supposed this was the reason for the kneeling form of the people, and helping Thurion to do the same, they were both stopped by no other than the King of Midvinter.

Coci looked over the all before them both, turned to Thurion not knowing what to do or say. "Thyrian please", she spoke softly urging him to rise. "We bow to no one, and no one bows to us". This had always been their mantra and it always will.

The soft sound of spoken words brought Théo out of his slumber. Everything ached, all his body tense with the hard bench on which he slept. He pulled himself up into a sitting position and stretched to try and rid the body of it all. After which he looked around and saw the back end of his father and mother slowly walking along the platform toward the statue which held his broken sword. He leaned forward with his elbows resting on his knees and placed his face in his hands rubbing the sleep away and also to cover the emotion that was building inside of him. He was so overjoyed his father would be alright and he too knew the extent of his injuries and most like had lost his eye.
He was alive and that was that.

Théo pushed himself off the bench just as a large figure bowed his head to get out the door and watch the proceedings with a wide smile. He rested his hand on his grandpapa's shoulder and lean in to whisper. "Why are Heavenshield's so dramatic", he grinned and yet so very proud of his parents. "I think we get it from you".

It was only now that he had the chance to look about his surroundings, properly. Théo walked to the beautifully carved railings along the platform and looked down into the gardens below, and cutting right through it was a small meandering brook that trickled over stones and rocks in a music all of it's own. It was so peaceful here, so calming and it removed everything from the world outside them.

"Did you know of this place?", he turned toward his grandpapa. He suspected not, not when he was alive as a man. "The Gods, they are real", he said firmly and now holding the belief in them. "It is funny you know, all the time that had passed since your death I would always speak to you when the dawn came, or when the clouds parted and revealed the sun .. could you .. could you hear me?".

[member="Dawnbringer"]

After his son's mother had left him to contemplate the news she had delivered Velkar paced the clearing among the mist and oak. He has a first born, a son that will one day stand by his side in Beornskald and he did not know what to think of it. He had never planned on becoming a father, at least not without design and purpose that would give him something of an advantage over his own father but this? Well he only had himself to blame, not that he had trick her that was not his style, beside he found that the girls did not need much persuasion but would be seduced by his charm and good looks. And for a moment he consider if there was more out there he did not know of ...

No, he would be cleared of all charges in that respect for there would be none other than Vik. Vik, a nice name he liked it, and curiosity was building in the God of Mischief. Maybe one day ...

As the dawn broke the night sky, sending a wave of soft yellow light across the mountains into Averlorn, the mist seemed to depart within the thickest of the forest and remain there as sentinel against any threat to the place. Velkar turned his heels toward the village where all that had come for healing now lay on their beds and soon would awake to the day in which the King would placed to his final rest. By Valkyri standards, King Eregon would be enter the Halls of Beornskald unopposed, granted the a high seat at the table of feasts and those that had witnessed his feats would sing his praises. But, that was not to be. The Aelvar are different, come from somewhere entirely unique to everything which is what Velkar was intrigued about the most. A mystery and even he did not know.

And he liked it that way.

He entered the main gardens of the village and cast a looked to the upper platform and for some reason there was a gathering, some fluffing about over the Heavenshields. Velkar found a nice stone bench and sat, and for the first time in a long time, Velkar sat idol. Well... his body did, his mind however raced at a thousand miles an hour. He turned toward a creature sitting on the ground beside him, a majestic creature and purred and waited impatiently for something. "You got kids?", he asked the creature that the God Killer would ride. "Let me introduce myself, I am Velkar and I believe you are ... what did he call you? ... Skyprancer? dancer? .. walker. That was it".

Skywalker tilted his grand head to the side, curious about the man sitting next to him and strangely to those that know of Skywalker, he did not take on an aggressive posture but rather shuffled over and rested his head in Velkar's lap .. who ... gently stroked his feather fur mane with a smile.

It had been the most blissful sleep of his life when he lay down to rest beside the Aelvar princess amongst thickets and roots upon a bed of leaves, having left civilisation behind to wander the woods together until fatigue finally took hold and they fell asleep in each other's arms. Their kiss had served to confirm their love for one another, and this alone had in turn eased Thrand's mind of any night terrors looking to come back to haunt him after this most tumultuous day. He'd ridden ahead of the entire Valkyri army to fight an unknown enemy, charged headlong into battle, and he had killed and watched men die in equal measure. Every fibre of his being ached, yet even this was forgotten as they lay down together with nothing but their own bodies to keep warm.

Ióunn had been first to wake, however her stirrings had in turn caused him to become roused from his slumber and as his eyes opened there she was, snuggling up to him and he did so in kind. "So it wasn't a dream," he uttered for her ears only with a smile. "I suppose a part of me whished that the horrors we've witnessed were not true, yet a far greater part of me feels so very joyful that last night was in fact no dream." Sleepily his nose nuzzled hers, before they kissed tenderly once more to greet each other.

Only when the rays of the sun found their way to the bed of leaves Averlorn had provided them with did the thought cross them that they better return, else Ióunn was in danger of missing her father's funeral. Gathering what few belongings they'd brought, it was then that the roots of the tree amongst which they had spent the night had seemingly changed places. Thrand halted for a moment with a dumbfounded look on his face, but then decided that it must have been only his imagination. King Eregon's noble steed had remained closeby the entire night, and it was as if on cue the horse knew they were in need of him and so trotted over to the pair. "My lady," he bowed his head to her with a smirk, before lifting her up to mount in the nape of the steed's neck. He then leapt up on its back and grabbed hold of the reins, and so the two journeyed back towards her home.

The ride back went by largely in silence, for there were no words in need of uttering that could not be communicated through looks and smiles. Again they rode the banks of the frozen lake, this time lit up by sunlight to show off its vastness. There is such power in that place, uncorrupted and pure beyond belief, and he could not help but be in awe of it and what it represented; something that had persisted through ages past, and that would continue to persist long after they were gone. Such was the case with much of Midvinter, for there would never be a true ruler of her harsh yet splendid might - they were all but her children.

Making it back to town, that horrid scene of victims of war had been all but erased, and in its place were the same grace and beauty he had come to associate their kind with. They rode past where his cousin and their grandfather stood, trying not to blush as his mind raced with what people would think seeing the two return only the morning after. At least they could not accuse him of stealing their princess!

[member="Ióunn Wuduælfen"]

The night had passed in which Ióunn had imagined them in another world, one entirely inhabited by them and them alone. There had been no war, no death, no sense of responsibility to anyone or anything other than themselves, and it had been a wonderful reprieve for the short time allowed them. Nothing else mattered for the short time in which they lay in each other's arms and it gave her strength to carry on once the harsh reality would return to them with the light of day. Her childhood friend had become her one true love and that was returned to her which she considered a blessing given to her from him. And for those hours they both were nothing more than two people that only wanted to spend time in their company, not Prince or Princess on the eve of walking into some far more greater in duty.

"No dream", she whispered back to him and regardless of the horrors of the previous day she could smile with a sense of joy in her heart. But lurking in the shadows of her mind was the truth of the events and what she and her kin would begin to proceed. "If only we had the power to turn back time, but out of evil comes something more powerful and more pure that will always out shine the deeds of those that attempt to destroy. We will always prevail". She placed her soft warm lips to his once more and for a fleeting moment had vanished into his heart.

Ióunn knew that the Aelvar had worked in preparation for her father's ceremony throughout the night and everything would be in readiness for the Queen and her daughter and for the her kin and as they entered the village into the gardens where everyone stirred from slumber she leaned back into Thrand's chest to feel him against her, for support and love. Ióunn dismounted her father's horse first, greeted those around her with a graceful bow before turning to Thrand. "I need to go and prepare for the ceremony". She squeezed his hand before turning to go find her mother, and once everyone had done the same and rid themselves of their night's dress, the ceremony would begin, after which they would all feast to start the new from the old. "I shall return to you by the shore of the Lake".

divider-3.png

The procession to the Frostvatn was in readiness, the shroud of mist lifted and pushed back into the edges of the forest to allow a dappled light the bath them as they walked. Ióunn and her mother, the Queen of the Aelvar rode forward following a white boat that would carry King Eregon to his rest. The King lay in splendor adorned in his royal garments and atop his head, his crown.

anim%2Bpassing%2Bof%2Belves.gif
A seamless passing of Aelvar and all that had come to bed farewell to the King, the white boat glided over the ground as if on water, the energy coming from all the Aelvar lifting it up and pushing it forward and down to the lakes edge. Through the tall pine and thick oak, the lament drifted on a soft wind, and the nettle shivered on it's branches. They are not alone, for among the thickets the creatures of the forest stirred and came with curious nature to witness the sight, and there was no trick in the light as some of the oldest trees in the forest shifted in position as if alive to those that did not better. And among all of this grace and sadness was a hum, so deep it reverberated through the ground around them all, it was a language as old as time.

Finally, they came to the frozen water's edge, out in the middle of the Frostvatn a streaming light swirled into the air and is filled with the most immense power it was overwhelming to those that are attuned to it. There is no darkness nor light, but a purity of force the likes that no one had ever felt. As the procession gathered everyone around the lake, the Queen stood apart from them all only followed by Ióunn who was adorned in her regal gown, and they gracefully raised their arms turning palms upward and the words did not form in sound, such is the power of her mother, but spoke to each mind present.

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O, no! it is an ever-fixed mark,
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth’s unknown, although his height be taken.
Love ’s not Time’s fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle’s compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error, and upon me prov’d,
I never writ, nor no man ever lov’d.
As her mother's words, gently sat on the minds of all, Ióunn and the Queen moved to the boat and said their farewell to a father, a husband and a king. Each in turned kissed his regal brow, Ióunn's hand resting on his laying gently across his chest, he felt so cold to her, a contrast to the hot tears running down her cheek, and even though one is never truly dead, it is the inability to see them, to hold them, that is pain of it. But it was time, if any other in the crowd wishes to speak, this was the moment. After which the ethereal ascension would begin, with the power of the combine, King Eregon's white ceremonial boat would enter the purity of light from the Frostvatn, to be take to a higher place.

Ióunn stepped back and turned her head to find to emerald green eyes of her beloved.

[member="Thrand Hearthfire"] | [member="Thurion Heavenshield"]

Everyone was there.

Stood upon the banks of the Frostvatn - the ever-frozen lake which held within it such magnificence and purity - were all the men and women who had made the journey to Averlorn following the harrowing battle, and who with the aid of the Aelvar had made it through the night despite horrid wounds inflicted upon them by forces most foul. Even those who had yet to fully recover and could not stand, much less walk, had asked to attend and were subsequently carried on stretchers by their caretakers to be placed along the shoreline where they could witness King Eregon's ascension.

Houses Hearthfire and Heavenshield, so intrinsically bound together by blood and by love, stood at the forefront of the crowd of thousands; Thurion and Coci, neither having ever left the other's side since waking up at the Houses of Healing, stood clutching one another so lovingly. Théodred, oldest male heir of House Heavenshield, and Thrand, oldest male heir of House Hearthfire, both stood in the towering shadow of their grandfather who kept a tender hand on their respective shoulders. And then there was Thyrian, High King of Midvinter, yet he stood apart from the others. For he knew he had to speak once the right moment presented itself.

And it did.

Stepping out unto the frozen lake itself, he felt his very being surge with the Force in a way he could never have prepared himself for. He'd never been this close to such a powerful gathering of its energies before, where it was raw and pure and almost numbing to the senses. It took him a moment just to process the whole experience before he could stand beside Lady Aewen, and he could not help but feel ashamed that he should live while her husband did not.

"King Eregon," he began, having to clear his throat of any uncertainties before he could continue, "was as noble in his deeds and the way he carried himself, as he was humble. It is my greatest regret that I never got to know him on a personal level, nor that I made the effort; if I had, I would have learned of just how very devoted he was to his family and to his people. From having exchanged but a handful of sentences with him, I could tell that nothing was more precious to him than the happiness and well-being of his beloved daughter..." His eyes found those of Princess Ióunn, and he faltered for a moment.

"...and that of his queen. In this he and I are one and the same, except my two greatest loves are my queen, and my son." Thrand looked up and smiled at his father's words, which brought some measure of steel to Thyrian's heart. "I can only ask your forgiveness, and say with certainty that as a man who once lost his own father..." his gaze now wandered onto the Dawnbringer, who did not return it but in fact seemed to hang his own head in shame, "...the pain will never truly leave you, but will in fact keep you going. You will try to live up to his sacrifice - strive to become worthy of it - and in so doing you will achieve such wonders. All while honouring your father's name." Only now did the senior Thrand look up as father and son found each other for a tear and a smile.

"That's, uh... Th-that's all I wished to say," he then said rather awkwardly, offering a hasty bow to Lady Aewen before making his way off the ice.

That is when Prince Thrand produced his flute and began to play as the kingly ascension began.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy4o-eLQX3w

Her love played upon his pipe.

The soft music from his heart lifted into the air as crisp and pure as the virgin snow descending to the ground. Ióunn stood and listened, watching his perfect face with lips so red blow a gentle note. It would be impossible for her to love him more, but she did and through her eyes of blue tears formed a mix of sorrow and joy. The King of the Valkyri had spoke of words that helped to fill her heart with a sense of hope for a future that none could see, yet with the passing of time would reveal.

Her mother, the Queen, walked onto the ice and stood with her mind open and eyes closed as the boat ferried her love out across the Frostvatn toward the swirling column of power. All the Aelvar gathered around the edge of the Lake and through thousands of years of connection to this place, through the very fabric of their design, did they link and all would feel the power surge through them. As the boat approached the brilliance of the Frostvatn and entered it, a flash of white infused it, making it swell and grow so iridescent it was difficult to watch.

They could see the boat no more, nor King Eregon which had laid there in his splendour but among the light raised a figure of a man with arms splayed to his side and his head held with pride and honour and upon his brow his crown of the holy hawthorn. His eyes looked upon them all, before fixing on his family so precious and beautiful and one last smile reached their minds before his gaze turned to the sky and he vanished in an explosion of star light which ascended on the morning breeze taking it up until beyond sight of even the keenest eyes of the Aelvar.

And so it would be, that Eregon the Bearer would live eternal among the stars, a shift in the night’s sky of Midvinter would see the dawn of a new constellation, the Warrior with Sword and the Hawthorn upon his head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3k0YufjNfE​

Ióunn walked toward Thrand as he finished playing and put his flute away, for the moment she stood and looked him over, on his face there were still the nicks of battle red with anger, his long white hair grown to shoulder length framed his face, and his emerald green eyes shone regardless of what they witnessed. She smiled at him while taking both his hands in her’s, “Here we stand, now and forevermore, as one”.

[member="Thrand Hearthfire"]

One of the many things he did not like about the mortals, was they did a lot of walking. Getting from point A to point B was a chore that did not sit well with Velkar, not when you have the ability of move through the ether at a whim. Even though initially impressed with the passing parade of Aelvar all in their regal attire and brows of high import, he was bored of it quickly and all this sorrow was draining to the soul. Sure they had lost an important figure head among them, the Queen devastated and his daughter distressed but comforted in the arms of her love. Velkar had his own thoughts to deal with and no amount of singing and pageantry would erase it.

He stood watching leaning against the trunk of a tall tree, stifling a yawn, as the King's ascension began, he watched as this strange swirling power rose into the air and began to swell as the boat entered it. Even he could feel the strength of it and curiosity peaked his brow. So this is what you seeked hag. It became clear to him now, the reason she had dared to enter the realm of men and so close to Averlorn, this could have been her advantage, that moment in which the game turned if only the cards had fallen her way.

"Hmm", that famous wicked grin broke his lips to reveal the cleanest, whitest teeth. Velkar started to contemplate what use this Frostvatn might be for him. He pushed off the tree, turned and walked back into the surrounding forest humming a song of his own before vanishing into the air only to reappear in the village just as the last plates of food for the feast were placed on the long tables.

"So Delightful", he smiled at the passing girl as he popped a grape into his mouth as his eyes linger over her, she would return the smile as she walked away only to look over her shoulder once more to take in his form. Aelvar women are truly beautiful and he was about to follow her, when he remember the results of the last time he encountered one of them and he hesitated.

Only for a moment, before quickening his pace to follow her into the forest.

The Lord of Sunlight observed the funeral ritual of the Aelvar, standing behind his two grandchildren with a hand upon their respective shoulders throughout. In truth, he just wanted to be as close to them as circumstances would allow, having been parted from them for so long; he knew of the heartache Théo had felt following his passing, and in Thrand's case the two had never even met. A slight fidgeting from the latter caught his eye, as the lad would produce and play from his flute the most beautiful of tunes. It reminded him of Beornskald, how each night the halls would be filled with otherworldly music and would play late into the evening. The sensation only forced a sigh from him, knowing he would have to leave the mortal realm soon. To leave his family.

After the ceremony was ended and the elven king was ascended to the stars, the combined crowd of Aelvar, Valkyri and Beorni started to thin out as they returned to town where a great feast awaited in celebration of Eregon's deeds and memory. Before they had a chance to wander off, Thrand waved for his family to gather round. Once they were all together, he looked them all in the eye one after the other with a tender smile on his face. "I just needed to see you all here, together," he said with a faint hint of sadness, after which he placed a kiss upon the heads of his two grandchildren. "I will join you for the feast, though I have no need for mortal food and drink," he then chuckled. "My time here is limited, but there are some things I must tell you before I go."

He noticed Thyrian in particular had a peculiar look about him, as if trying to discern exactly what his father was keeping from them. "Any questions you might have, I will answer them as best I can."

As the feast was joined and they all were seated at one of the long tables now littering the centre of town, Thrand partook as best he could with his jovial laughter and powerful presence. All around them the spirits were high, as for once the Valkyri were treated to the many delicacies Averlorn had to offer, much to the Aelvar's amusement. "Father," Thurion would eventually speak up. "What happened yesterday? What were those things?" The table they sat at fell quiet while the others kept feasting, and Thrand sat up straight as his face turned deadly serious.

"There is so much I have to tell you for everything to make sense," he replied, rubbing his forehead trying to figure out where to begin. "Long ago, the realm of Beornskald, and all the gods within, was created. Through the sheer power of belief did the Valkyri bring life to it, so much so that it eventually took on a life of its own. They also gave life to Gríma Hagraven - Goddess of Death and Darkness. It was she that paid you a visit yesterday, along with her unending ruinous host," he nodded at Thurion, who in turn traced the scars on his face. "Those who die a noble and glorious death in battle are brought to Odiir's hall of heroes, as you well know. But those who do not, are instead claimed by the Crone and brought to her under-realm. There these souls are subjected to undescribable torments, forced to relive their most torturous moments in life again and again. They forget themselves, who they used to be, until they become her mindless soldiers."

Only now did he grab the nearest tankard and emptied its contents, despite knowing it would not affect him. "For untold millennia she has waged war against Beornskald, throwing her legions against the gods and ascended heroes time and again. The two forces have fought each other into a standstill countless times, but knowing Gríma she would stop at nothing in order to dethrone the Allfather. We predicted, correctly so, that she would turn her eyes to the mortal world eventually; she had found out about 'the Force', and now believes fully that harnessing its power will tip the scale in her favour. Yesterday was her first attempt at claiming it, but she doesn't know exactly where it is." Thyrian listened intently, and turned towards the Frostvatn located just outside of town.

"You mean... she will try again," he spoke his thoughts aloud. "But... we defeated her. You banished her."

"For now," Thrand replied grimly. "I cast her back to the under-realm, but it will not hold her for long. She found her way here once, she can do it again. You must understand - she is immortal. She can't be killed, just like myself or any other god. Defeating her through conventional means is, for all intents and purposes, impossible." Thyrian slumped back into his seat, feeling defeated at the realisation. The Dawnbringer let it all sink in a bit before he spoke next. "There is but one way of defeating her. Belief was what created the gods. Belief is what sustains their power." Thurion realised just what his father was proposing, and his eyes widened. "You don't mean..."

"There is a prophecy among the gods," Thrand interrupted his son. "They have always known their time will inevitably come to an end; they were created to look after mortalkind in a time when they were not strong enough and too fearful to fend for themselves. As mortals would come to believe in themselves, their need for godly protection would wane. Eventually, enough people believed that one of their own would take their place among the gods. I was the catalyst," he gestured to himself. "So you see, Beornskald will not last forever. Not when people like yourselves exist for the people to believe in."

"This, is what the Crone is trying to prevent. She will not relinquish her power and fade into memory, so she comes here to force our hand. Our direct intervention means people will still believe, and the neverending slaughter will continue." There was dead silence along the table, and the surrounding noise had by now vanished into the background, blissfully unaware of the dire conversation. "But... but that would mean you..." Thyrian stuttered, trying to make sense of it all. "You would fade away as well," his brother finished his sentence for him. A solemn nod from their father confirmed their fear.

"It is the only way."

He pushed his mug of ale away as his grandpapa spoke of the hordes that visited them and caused so much destruction and death. The whole thing, the war and everything had been nothing short of horror, the countless lives that had been lost would never be undone, nor forgot but what his grandpapa was proposing he could not sit by and let happen. For the first time in his life, Théo disagreed with him and questioned what he was suggesting. What he was suggesting was unselfish, he would grant him that, at least on a personal level, but there was far more to it than that.

He was shifting the burden from one set, to another and disregarding the lives of those who’s bodies lay burning on the battle field still. The belief in the Gods was stronger than it ever was, and it would take countless years for any belief set to diminish regardless of prophecy. There might be some that would forego their beliefs but others would not, in fact would set their minds firmly toward the gods.

“What you suggest will plunge Midvinter into civil war”, whether it was now or later, “And I will not be a part of that”. He said with sorrow and determination. The planet has seen far too much of death as it was, and now his own grandpapa was willing to open up and bring down death upon the very people he had sworn to protect in his life as King and now god of the Sun.

“I would rather face her again, and again and again if that is what my destiny has writ for me and die doing so. But I will not unsheathe my word against my countrymen and women”, his faith was shaken but not in the gods, but his grandpapa. Surely he would have known the results of what he is placing on the table.

He looked to his father and uncle, his mother and those he loved sitting around the table. What was in their minds he could not guess but this .. this could tear the family apart. Théo understood that this Grima had to be stopped, but this was not the way. “What you are suggesting Grandpapa, is treason against the people of Midvinter”. Théo unbuckled his sword at his side, the same sword that had cut down countless enemy of the crown in his service as Heavenshield and Hearthfire and threw it on the table in a clatter.

Théo left the table with a broken heart.

Walking back to the tables of the feasting from his ‘adventure’ in the forest, Velkar was just in time to hear the words of the Dawnbringer. Standing the background listening to him speak of the prophecy and all that entailed made him smile. Yes he knew of the prophecy and Velkar would not be Velkar if he had not put in place plans to negate it, or him at least after all he is cunning far beyond any of the Gods. The Dawnbringer spoke of the realms, Midvinter, Beornskald, the Realm of the Dead, but there was one other that not even the Allfather knew of, let along Morning Glory here. And that .. Velkar would keep to himself. He placed a finger to his lips tapping them as his mind raced with the possible outcomes of what could happen, there was of course more ways to skin a cat as they say and the Dawnbringer could only see one. Velkar could see many possibilities.

Trying to convince the Allfather and the rest of the Gods in the pantheon that their time was up would be a fun conversation to witness. Knowing his father as he does, he would fight to the bitter end, as would Helm. Although he suspected that his siblings would be so stupid to self-sacrifice for the people, Velkar was not of that mind set. And he realised that as long as his son lived, so would he. Any indirect insurance policy as it turned out, just in case things went pear shaped for the Gods.

That would leave Velkar as the only God of Midvinter. Oh how delicious this was, and he now held a growing like of the God of the Dawn. But regardless of Death Gods and her hordes, he loved his family just as the Dawnbringer loved his, and he would do everything in his power to protect them. If that meant killing the Heavenshields and Hearthfires, so be it.

His ambitions opposed his love for his family, clashed once more as it always did, and always would which is a dangerous and toxic mix. He had options now, return to his secret realm and let this whole thing play out, leaving nothing but destruction and ruin in its wake only to return when the time was right or play them upon each other which the same end result. Prophecy is one thing, but they are just words and with events that mould the very structure of a culture and its destiny, they can change.

Velkar watched as the son of the God Killer declared his hand in this and threw down his sword, he is a hot head, trait from his mother he assumed but he had point. “He is right you know, it is treason on more than one level”, Velkar walked to the table of the ‘royals’. “I am impressed”.

He sat down in a spare spot at the table and pick up a piece of fowl and took a bit. “Hmm this is good”. He watched them all for a moment before speaking again in more hushed tones. “For countless millennia as you say, the gods have existed and for countless millennia those that lived and fought on Midvinter and deemed to enter the Halls of Beornskald have entered those halls and now live there, your forefathers, the forefathers of all now reside there. What you are suggesting, this plan to bring about the prophecy, is genocide of an entire race of people that live in Beornskald, your ancestors, all the ancestors of all the families of Valkyri and the like”. He threw the half eaten leg of fowl on a plate. “Do you really wish to be known forever more as the God that brought about this destruction? I assume that is what is hidden in your words. It would make you know better than the hag”.

“And who are you to decide the fate of them? Besides .. there is other ways to deal with her”. He picked up another leg and tuck into it. Whether the Dawnbringer or his family here, would heed his words mattered little to Velkar, and if they decided to walked this path, was not going to see the total demise of the gods.

“What do you propose to replace this need for the mortals to have faith in something? You would place this burden on your sons? Do they not have enough burden on their shoulders as it is? Or is it this Force that I have come to learn of. This gift that is only placed upon a chosen few. What of the rest of them that are not attuned to it?”. Only the strongest can live among the force after death, other simply fade away and become one with it, even those not attuned, however all they really do face is oblivion.

Whether any of them here at the table liked him or not or liked what he had to say, he spoke the truth of it now. And at this point it was the God for Fire and Mischief that was loaded with questions.

[member="Dawnbringer"]

There was a plethora of emotions going around the table, but none voiced their opinion louder than his own son who stood up and scolded his grandfather for even suggesting they give up their beliefs, throwing his sword and scabbard on the table in protest. "Théo," the junior Thrand called out to his cousin, trying in vain to reach out to him only to feel Ióunn's gentle hand on his arm, prompting him to sit back down. Meanwhile Thurion had little to say, mostly because he was still weary from his injuries and had barely touched his food. Trying to come up with something to say seemed out of his grasp for the time being. He knew well Théo's intense connection to his homeworld, and that he was passionate in defense of his people.

Of course Velkar came skulking about right on time to overhear the Dawnbringer's grim words, and as he spoke his poison Thrand rose from his seat and glared at him. "If you think this is a sacrifice made lightly, you are gravely mistaken, Exile," he snarled in disgust at him. "But no sacrifice is too great if it will save innocent lives! Would you rather she comes back and kills everyone, leaving none alive to believe anyway? What I propose would not require any loss of life, other than those who are already dead!" By now the surrounding tables had stopped dead in their feasting, all turning to look on in confusion.

Only now did Thurion rise, slowly pushing himself off the table. "Father," he spoke softly, urging him to sit back down. Thrand did so, grabbing a whole loaf of bread to stuff down his throat just to have something to do. "Velkar," he then said and rounded the table, passing his father. "I owe you an apology. I did not judge you trustworthy when we first met. Perhaps you really aren't, but you saved many lives yesterday. It was not your fight, yet you stood with us nonetheless." He held out his hand, albeit a bit too far right than one normally would. "Thank you, Velkar." Without another word Thurion then stepped back around the table to follow his son, but not before he stopped by his wife for a caress of her shoulder and kiss upon her head. As he then walked away, all of a sudden several people rose from their seats out of respect.

Leaving the feast behind, he followed in his son's footsteps, feeling his presence and whereabouts. Coming around the corner, he found him sat on a bench looking distressed. Quietly he slumped down to sit on his left in order to see him better. "The pommel of your sword smooshed the chocolate cake, you know. Mother won't be pleased," he offered him a soft smile and a nudge of his elbow. He then placed his hand on Théo's.

"I understand your anger and disappointment. And I know how much you love and admire your grandfather - hearing him speak those words must have been hard for you. But if what he says is true, then we are dealing with forces we cannot begin to comprehend. Immortal gods, living in another realm? It's all so much bigger than any of us. All we have ever known is the Force, and it is no god but rather a force of nature." He squeezed his hand and turned his head to face him. "Théo, look at me." As their eyes met his own gaze sank some, still experiencing the shame of defeat.

"I won't be around forever. I am at the end of my prime, and I'm only getting older. If there was a way for me to make certain my children would never have to fight another battle, I would do everything in my power. So would your grandfather; what he proposes, he does out of love for us. All of us. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, or that we have to agree with it. But it is what he believes is right, and we must respect his beliefs." He placed a hand on his shoulder and smiled. "As Jedi."

Then he pulled him into a firm embrace, holding him tight and never letting go. "I love you, my son."

The actions of the young Heavenshield, was the first sign of the breaking of the family, emotions were still very raw from the battle and loss of so many lives, the field covered in the black feathers of the ravens come to feed on whatever was left after the fires of cleansing and all their souls had been guided to Beornskald by the Angels of Death taking them into the Halls to join their forefathers, Thrand saw it, he knew, but he was blind by grief and wanted to plunge Midvinter into desolation. It was a selfish act.

Although the Dawnbringers words washed over him like water, Velkar would not remain seated either and with deliberate action placed his leg of fowl on the plate, he was deadly silent doing so before meeting Thrand's eyes. "Exile, you know all about that don't you?", he said the words measured looked straight into his eyes before they turned to the Hearthfire and back to him. "It burns you doesn't it? It burns you still, when you abandoned your sons, exiling them to a life of despair, fatherless ... how did that turn out for them?". He pushed off the table, drawing on his godly power should they go toe to toe, right here right now. Bring it!

Velkar stood up straight and grinned watching as the veins in Thrand's forehead practically burst. His sons had forgiven him, yet deep down in Thrand's heart, he could never forgive himself. "Do I look dead to you? you who have walked the Halls of Beornskald, see the countless people that live there, do they look dead to you? .. they are not! they walk and breath, and live their lives in another realm, just because it is not this one does not mean they no longer exist".

"I will not stand by and watch you destroy these people, and my family, simply because you can't look beyond despair". Attention around the area of the table had turned to this confrontation, those at the table shifted awkwardly in their places, yet neither he or the Dawnbringer would see it, too focused on tearing each other apart through words.

The solemn occasion was marred by the reacts to their father's words, Coci sat quietly taking in his words explaining what had brought this Grima to Midvinter, it was clear she was after the Frostvatn and thought about how she could possibly use it to her advantage, the Gods are not connected to the force, they sit outside of it but those that had gone to her realm might. That maybe where her advantage was placed. Théo reacted to this as she knew he would, his love for his homeland beyond even that of any of the family apart from Thrand himself, so this was indeed hard for him to hear or even contemplate enacting in the future and hopefully Thurion would be able to calm him down. They all needed to think, with clear minds and now was not the time.

The conversation between Velkar and Thrand had turned aggressive, she could not blame either of them for their part in it, both wanting to see an end to this hag once and for all, but neither would give the other the courtesy of opinion. Velkar expressed he knew another way, she wanted to hear it because like Théo, she could only see a path of further death, whether they did what Thrand suggested, what Thrand could not see was that his idea would also see Midvinter in ruin and no one left to live. She had good solid knowledge of the Valkyri, they fight to the death for what they believe in and although the families of Hearthfire and Heavenshield were beloved to them, not everyone was sold.

As they stood eye to eye spitting words at each other, her blood boiled. Coci stood up, her turn now, all around her the people rose from the seat in respect to the woman but unsure of what would happen next. "Sit .. down!", her black eyes on fire looked between the two Gods, her words firm and threatening. And all around her they all sat most promptly wary of what would follow. "Have you both lost leave of your senses?", she scolded them both. "Have some respect here, the Aelvar have only just completed the ceremony for their king, and you two are standing here acting like a pair of whelps".

The look from Velkar was surprising, no one had ever spoken to him like that, a God of Beornskald told off by a mortal! "I beg your pard ..?". "SIT DOWN". Velkar sat, so did Thrand. Coci's fists were curled into a ball, the force swirling around her and setting her skin glowing with the light side and the power running through her body was immense.

She let out a long sigh of frustration, but remained standing as she turned to Velkar, "I too give you thanks, you saved the lives of many, myself and Thurion and that shall not be forgotten", she looked to Thrand, hoping that he would realise with those words, that the Gods could never be defeated in his way. Because she was not going to deny the fact that they do exist as much as it amazed her. "You are the exiled God of Fire and Mischief I believe. I know the myth .. no that is an incorrect word to use, the history of the Valkyri gods .. and you can't be trusted, I think you would agree with that", Velkar looked at her nodding his head in affirmation. "But you said you know of another way, I would like to hear that". She turned to Thrand now.

"Father, you know that I am Jedi, and because of this Jedi seek patience in any situation. The reason for that is that we look for other ways in which to fight against the evils, we look to find a better alternative to it, that would not require the death of anyone, if it can be helped. Sometimes solutions do not present themselves, and there is only one way, but we looked to find them first and foremost. If there is a solution that will prevent further lives lost in what is to come, whether they are the lives of those here on Midvinter and the people that reside in Beornskald .. I want to hear it .. when it is time appropriate".

The moment he left the table, he felt sorrow for his words, but there was more to it than what they would perceive in them. Surely his own father would know, he had seen this before countless times in the wider galaxy, so too Thyrian .. in fact he had been a large part of it in some cases. He he would stand by his words, his decision just as he had been taught by his father and his grandfather. Théo Heavenshield would always do what is right, especially now.

"It was as a Jedi that I responded father", he looked deep into his father's eyes, finding a great deal of sorrow within them. "I will always be your son, but I am no longer a child, but a man with my own mind". He placed his hand over that of his fathers and held it dearly.

"How many battles have you fought against people who would do the same, to want for nothing more than to remove the freedom of people, of their lives, their beliefs .. everything. Sith father, this is what they do. I have seen it, fought against it as well. As Jedi we fight to protect those people so they can live with their will and peace in place. I can not be a part of this. I understand that grandpapa has his heart in the right place wants for the protection of his people, for us, but what he is asking is too much of the Valkyri. I respect his beliefs, but he too must give that respect back to those that do not share his. I would once have followed him blindly into battle without question .. I can't do that now". Théo may possess the boiling temper of his mother, but his stubbornness comes directly from his father and his grandpapa.

Théo shifted on the seat to look squarely at his father, "I know you would give your life for us, but so would I. After all, I have learned that from the best, my grandpapa gave his life for us, that would never be forgotten. I too will grow old one day, I hope, and I want to do that on Midvinter ... in all it's glory".

It was about this moment that both Thurion and Théo heard the bellowing words of Coci. Théo looked over to the table a little way from where he and his father sat. "You think the destroyed chocolate cake set her off? .. maybe we should stay here for a while longer". He grinned despite the topic of conversation.

Having kept quiet throughout the many outbursts since their patriarch's dire words, Thyrian considered what was being said by everyone in turn while sagely stroking his beard. A decade or two ago he would have been first into the fray with tempers running hot, but has since mellowed with age and the kingship so suddenly bestowed upon him. He understood the option his father suggested; without belief, Beornskald and the gods would fade away peacefully and painlessly. But it would also assuredly leave Midvinter in a state of civil war as Valkyri society would be shaken to its core, potentially claiming even more lives than the alternative - that they stand and fight the forces of darkness until another option presents itself.

Once everyone was seated again following Coci's beratement of the two gods, there was more silence as people returned to their feasting. Only now did the High King speak. "We have just survived a veritable cataclysm the likes of which this world has never seen before. Tensions and emotions are running high, for all of us," he eyed each in turn, before turning to his father. "Now is not the time to make such an irrevocable decision. We may have only postponed the inevitable, as you say, but it will have to do for now. Yesterday was nothing short of a miracle, but a victory nonetheless. I will not reward my people's sacrifice by taking away their beliefs."

Thrand took a deep breath before meeting his son's gaze, a weary look upon his aged face as he offered a soft nod. "Then so be it, Your Grace," he accepted the decision with a gentle smile. "I will not press the matter further. I do not believe there to be a simple solution to this pressing issue, but I pray for all our sakes that one presents itself." Rising from his seat once more, Thrand looked to where the Aelvar queen and princess sat on the other end of the long table and offered a bow of his head. "Forgive me, my lady. I meant no disrespect on this solemn occasion." At that moment a single crow flew into view and made its landing at his end of the table, cawing at him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTBKPkjFMqk
Instantly he recognised the sign and his gaze turned skywards. "My time here is drawing to a close. The Allfather summons me."

By now Thurion and Théo had made their way back to witness Thrand's body begin to glow as it had when he first appeared on the battlefield. His godly visage was returning to him, and in response everyone attending the feast rose to their feet, staring in awe. "Father," Thyrian approached one step at a time, similarly awestruck even as the Dawnbringer placed his large hand upon his cheek. "I am sorry we did not have more time together, my son." He looked over at the rest of them. "All of you." The next to approach was far less restrained, as the young prince ran over and tried his best to throw his arms around him, burying his face in his chest. Thrand chuckled and returned the embrace, only to be joined by Thyrian who in turn put his arms around the both of them.

Next came Thurion and Coci, both of whom were engulfed by Thrand's massive arms capable of embracing the entire family. More people joined in, surrounding the family of Heavenshields and Hearthfires with their Sun God at the centre of it all. "You are all my children," he spoke loud enough for everyone to hear. "Each of you so very dear to my heart." But there was one person missing, someone crucial.

He released his hold of them all as his mortal visage began to fade and pure sunlight took hold in its stead. The crowd parted before him until he laid eyes on his oldest grandson - a man he had once had the privilege and pleasure of holding in his arms as a newborn babe. "Théodred," he said his name while approaching him. Without hesitation he pulled him into a firm embrace and kept him there, until his form gave way completely and there was nothing left for Théo to hold onto. "You will see me again, little one. I promise..." he uttered his last words before the blinding light began its ascent towards the skies. Slowly at first it rose higher and higher, until finally it blasted away entirely.

The Bringer of Dawn was gone. But in his place the sun shone all the brighter upon Averlorn in the moments to follow. As all of them stood together basking in the sun, Thurion put his arms around Coci from behind, folding them around her waist. "So long, old man," he spoke fondly before nuzzling his nose into the top of her head. It was impossible for him to predict what happened next. A loud, piercing shriek was heard as out of nowhere Skywalker flew in and pounced the couple, pinning them to the ground under his considerable weight. Thurion's groans of pain from the sudden impact were soon turned to laughter as the gryphon nuzzled him and Coci relentlessly, and he in turn tried his best to give him all the pettings he so desired. "I have missed you too, buddy!"

While busy snuggling the pair, Thyrian approached cautiously from the side and reached out to touch him ever-so-slightly. When Skywalker did not react other than purring loudly, Thyrian breathed a sigh of relief and resumed stroking his feathery mane.

He knew his time was coming to a close here in Avelorn and he would leave the family to say their good byes to the Dawnbringer, besides he has grown tired of their company. They weren't much fun at all, all woe is me about it all, but he knew there would be another time in which he would shine, yet another battle would visit this place and who knew in that capacity that form would take. There was uncertainty about Midvinter, but regardless of what they would face in the future, the Gods would be forever here to protect them, or pick up the piece if fate or whatever they call it out there in the wider galaxy, was to play a hand in it.

Velkar gave them one last look, before turning to walk away and head for the village. The sound of the feast continued on, removing to the distance as he ascended the stairs leading to the upper level, the place near by the healing quarters. It is beautiful here, a sense of calm that even he had never experienced, and hopefully would remain that way. In a way he felt out of place, not belonging to such purity, no corruption should ever come to destroy it. If they do it would simply be for the sake of it, what would be to gain from it .. nothing. Nothing but a will to take something that does not belong to them.

He probably did not have a right to be here either.

Passing a statue, a women with bowed head and her arms held out, he stopped, hesitated as he turned back to look upon a shattered sword. He approached and picked up one of the shards, the edge was still keen as he ran his finger along it, blood followed in its wake, he hissed at the pain yet admired the gleaming radiance as he turned the piece, it was almost blinding as it caught the light. Snowfall.

He knew it now, the famous sword of [member="Thurion Heavenshield"] now shattered, along with the man's mind. This is no place to keep such a relic, which now it was .. for the time being. A grin curled his lips as he placed the piece back on the statue's plate, raised both his hands and in but a second the sword was gone, shrouded in his magic to be kept with the God of Fire and Mischief, until the true One approaches and is worthy to take up the hilt and re-forge it.

The cunning mind of the God, replaced Snowfall with a fake, an illusion so powerful that the mortal eye would never see. He turned on his heels with a wide smile, placed his hands behind his back and as he resumed his walk, the magic green light enveloped him and he vanished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom