Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dominion Va-Va-Veradune, GA Gains Another Boon | GA Dominion of Veradune Hex

Rock and Roll MotherFluffers
The elevator dropped to a halt in the antechamber; through the broad doorway could be seen glimpses of the ruin standing out from the massive cavern in which it sat.

New_GA1.png

Nir stood in awe as they came to the bottom, pausing as he felt something calling him through the Force. He could feel it. His crystal...somewhere.

"I guess it's sink or swim then, eh?"

if they're watching anyways
"Oh, of course."

Auteme grabbed the front of her dress and shed it like snakeskin. The clothes underneath took a moment to find their proper form and texture, but soon shifted into a pair of dark jeans and a puffy orange turtleneck. She stamped her feet on the ground; her heels flattened and her shoes shot up into a nice pair of leather boots.

She eyed the dress still in her hand for a moment, before grabbing it again and pulling it the opposite way. The fabric folded and wrapped itself into a neat pair of black-framed glasses, which she placed gently on her nose. Through the frames, her irises seemed brown rather than green.

"I'm not too worried about security. But thank you, yes, always good practice to keep your people close. That being said, they'll keep out of sight." She shrugged. "Shall we?"

Moments later they were taking the speeder into town. Auteme was quiet, listening to Fortan, soaking in the woman's presence a bit more. In time, she, too, looked out the window. "In my experience," she said, "it can be difficult to see a world from the dining room of the most powerful person on it.

"But, tea sounds lovely."

She was quiet for a little while, before looking to Fortan. "Tell me about your economy. The Prime Minister made many of the decisions on that front, yes? How did she organize it?"

SWRP_Headers.jpg

GAPostBreaker.png

Cailen nodded to Toby’s thoughts as his own drifted to the Jedi Coalition on Dagobah. They were much more alike with the NJO than the Wilders seemed to be, yet the difference in their traditions and focus was still vastly unique; He couldn’t imagine how strange and enlightening the Wilders would be.

His thoughts were conveniently broken then by the arrival of their instructor.

Cailen dipped his head in a respectable way, his auburn hair falling and then tossing gently as he moved. He mused at the thought that maybe they’d appreciate his messy hair more than the instructors on Coruscant.

Objective: Observe the spirits of the past
Juno Volante Shan Pavond Shan Pavond Nir Si Nir Si

Rayia followed the others towards the mine entrance. The nearer she approached the more her heart felt like it would leap from her chest. She could see the maw of the earth yawing wide beneath the metal contraption they now stood upon. 'You must calm down. Deep breaths," she reminded herself. A loss of control in these cramped confines would surely spell disaster. Rayia closed her eyes and felt the air leaving her lungs and entering through her nose. The musty air of this dust covered moon tingled and stung in her nostrils, but she could feel the beast quieten and breathed a little easier.

The shudder of the mettalic contraption lowering them into the depths caused Rayia to stiffen once more. Her tail retracted into its sheath and plumed with anxiety. Long white hairs rippled as Rayia honed in on every little movement. She didn't know to expect, and every movement contained new anxieties. It was Juno's responses to her questions that finally her out of it. Rayia blinked as she heard Juno refer to her as Master Jedi. The concept of mastery was very sparse in the tribe. There were only two true titles which bestowed any form of hierarchy and that was Armsmaster and Queen. Hearing Juno referring to her as such caused Rayia's skin to crawl. There was a wrongness to it which she couldn't place screaming at her from every nerve. "Just Ms. Asai will do, Doctor Juno." Rayia said. Yes, Rayia might be the Feral Queen's daughter, but Juno was a woman of arguably more importance as well. At least by Weikian standards.

So Rayia merely grimaced as she heard both Shan and Juno misinterpret her question. She supposed there was a chance that spirits did lurk in these halls but she meant more as what to do about the dead corpses that surely must down here somewhere. Several tribes on Weik had varying practices that ranged from burying them, to partaking of their flesh so that their memory lived on. As a stranger in a stranger land, Rayia had wanted to be respectful and conduct the necessary rituals to bring them to rest. 'Sounds like you'll just have to improvise,' Rayia thought. Raising one hand towards the entrance to the antechamber, Rayia nodded to the strangely familiar Cathar, "Seems like it. After you."

As soon as Shan was able to, the Padawan was getting cave exploration materials. The rope and rappelling gear was going to be quite important at the end of the day. He didn't want to be stuck up the creak without a paddle for lack of a better term. He just wrapped the section of rope he had taken around his waist to keep it close to him in case he needed to use it quickly, whilst putting the rest of the gear into his bag for later use. He also took the archaeological equipment, checking over it as well. If he was going to go looking for crystals, this was going to be helpful. In fact, he might find some other artifacts that he would be interested in, though more than likely he'd hand them over to the correct authorities. This wasn't his planet, and it wouldn't feel right taking part of it away.

"Shan works with me, Doctor Juno, please. You have worked harder than me to earn a title. No need to call me a Master, just for being a Jedi."

Shan shook his head carefully at that, giving Juno Volante a small smile. He was mostly just trying to be respectful as he brushed himself down carefully to get rid of any dirt or dust that might be stuck on him before looking over to Rayia Si Rayia Si and Nir Si Nir Si "I suppose we should at least try to stick together for a bit. We're more likely to find something if we work as a group, rather than just splitting off into rather random directions, don't you agree?" He wasn't too fond of the idea of going off into these mines by themselves to see what they could find. Even if they were able to talk to each other because of their equipment.

skin, bone, and arrogance

MjgzGMK.png

Natasi Fortan considered herself a talented politician -- though she loathed the term during her time in the First Order, where she had emphasized leadership by principle rather than glad-handing and consensus politics, because it made it seem like there was more than one side -- but she was as close to flabbergasted by the way Auteme Auteme just.... changed her clothes. In the most literal sense of the word. Her eyebrows lofted up her forehead briefly and she gave an appreciative, if envious, half-smile.

As they car took them over the bridge into the city, a small but prospering capital city came into view. A similar architecture was evident on the structures: a sort of neo-classicalism that defied both the First Imperial and Galidraani style of buildings. They were neither hidebound nor modern but, to Natasi's view, timeless. Clean lines, something approaching art deco decorative elements, and the inclusion of natural local wood gave it an eclectic, if stately feel.

She looked over at Auteme, her face neutral. "You don't love being deferred to, do you?" she asked after a moment's observation. Natasi hoped the Chancellor wouldn't take offense, for she didn't mean to give it. "It doesn't come naturally to everyone. In fact I think the people it comes naturally to are, though there are notable exceptions -- " (one of which Natasi considered herself, naturally) " -- generally unsuited to authority. But it does rather come with the territory. A state dinner would be a sign of respect, for you as Chancellor, and for the people and the entity that you embody. But unfortunately they're usually deadly -- deadly dull, I mean. And I do appreciate the opportunity for you to get to know the Renascent Republic on a more localized scale." She paused and adjusted the Enlightened Balance enamel lapel pin on her jacket. "I suppose it's nice to leave something for next time."

The speeder eventually slowed as it took a turning into a driveway. This was a small inlet, gated, with a carport offering shelter. This was the Sovereign's Entrance, where Natasi would arrive to open Parliament at the beginning of each session. Now, it was a matter of convenience and security, to guarantee her safety and that of her guest. "Yes, Dr. Westaway was instrumental in the establishment of -- well, everything here. The idea was mine, the funding was mine, but due to my indisposition, she took charge, accelerated the process when the First Order started showing signs of falling apart."

The doors opened and Natasi stepped out, moving around to meet the Chancellor on her side, gesturing the direction they would go as she continued. "At first the economy was survival-based. She had lots of credits to work with, but no infrastructure. But as the infrastructure has been built up, the economy has flourished. The Adytum system is blessed with bountiful resources that, when exploited, will allow us to become net exporters. We still rely heavily on the market for technology; we simply don't have that kind of infrastructure yet. But we have a heavy surplus of foodstuffs and precious metals. Enough to feed ourselves and whatever refugees can settle here."

Natasi led the way through the compact Sovereign's Entrance, then through a small dressing room with dark green damask wall coverings and a green and gold rug, through a short hallway, and into a room of vivid crimson carpeting, vaulted ceilings, and red leather couches arrayed around a wooden construct. "The House of Legates isn't in session today, luckily enough," Natasi said, running her hand along the back of the row of chairs as she passed. It allowed them to pass unseen until, after taking a quick, tight stairway up a flight of stairs, they entered into the Commons' gallery. Natasi led Auteme to a secluded, comfortable bench that gave them an unobtrusive look over the chamber.

"We can speak freely," Natasi said quietly. "There's some kind of field that allows us to hear them, while muffling us, so we don't distract them, or end up on the official recordings." She smoothed her skirt, crossed her pressed her knees and legs together in a slant, and looked over at the Chancellor. "There are strategic resources as well which, of course, I am pleased to offer to the Galactic Alliance as necessary. Did you wonder about anything specific?"

Below, Renata Westaway was standing opposite the Speaker's chair with a folder of her notes on the podium, mid-answer about where she proposed to house any potential refugees.

Auteme looked back at Fortan. Her mind flitted somewhere else; for a moment she considered saying something less dramatically academic, but ultimately went with her gut.

"There's this old, ah, ancient human text on politics -- the name's been lost, but based on a few of the lines they called it Colossus, or Leviathan, something like that. The author put out his theory on society, on the nature of sapient beings. He thought of the nation as a sort of massive creature, and the leader would be put at the top, representing the beast's head. He thought, in a good society, the leader would be so majestic and awe-inspiring to all their subjects, so as to represent the weight and authority of the nation. Anyone who was in their presence would have to defer to them in all things.

"Of course, the author thought democracy was terrible for society, because the sovereign would not merely have the collective power of all the people, but also be all the people, and there would exist no one leader to awe the citizenry. Instead, he thought authoritarianism, monarchy especially, was the best way to organize things.

"I'd prefer to set my own terms on how I am treated. Be placed too far above, deferred to without question -- then I am no longer a person, and far, far from democracy.

"But respect is fine. Well, and part of it is -- you've shown me more deference and decorum than, I'd say, most of the other Senators. I found it a bit strange." She smiled. "And, yes, that... deadliness, is often why I do not show myself at the lovely parties our new members often throw."

She stayed quiet and listened for the rest of the ride, and on their way into the Commons. She sat down more casually than Fortan, but no less poised.

"I was hoping you'd tell me more about how you kept hidden for so long. Mostly just to sate my own curiosity, I find it sort of... fascinating." The SIA had done some probing, of course, but she wanted to hear it from Fortan herself.

MjgzGMK.png

Natasi felt a faint sting of rebuke in the Chancellor's response. Dark eyes glanced down for a moment, momentary self-doubt flaring before she ruthlessly repressed it. She did make a mental note to get a more in-depth protocol briefing. Just what was the appropriate way to refer to the Chancellor? Some of her Senate colleagues seemed to treat the woman with a kind of contempt veiled -- thinly -- by formality.

Her question about the way Project Renascent had stayed under wraps was more direct than Natasi had expected, but was in itself not unanticipated.

"The Prime Minister would be able to provide more detail -- and I'm sure she would be happy to do so -- but essentially it was some combination of good planning, being quite careful, and good luck. We chose Adytum because it was unmapped, uncharted, and unknown, but mainly because of its location. It was far enough from the First Order's power base that, we hoped, they wouldn't stumble across it."

Natasi paused for a momentary hesitation; discussions centered around the failure of the First Order (again) was clearly a sore subject. Still, she owed the Chancellor an explanation. "There was enough traffic in the area so that it wouldn't be suspicious for there to be travel there. They started small, with prefabricated structures and limited communications. For the first several years, there were no communications offworld, because the risk was too great that the people who usurped the First Order would be able to track Dr. Westaway and her people down. Everything was communicated in-person. Later, they obtained encryption and tight-beam satellite technology that made communication easier."

The Senator paused as, below, a Member of Parliament rose to question the Prime Minister about what impacts new refugees would have on the environment of the region. Then she turned her gaze back to Auteme. "At the time, the border with the Alliance was not so close. Dr. Westaway was eager to avoid any entanglements with the Galactic Alliance because, at the time, it might have led to an ugly international incident if the despots that took power on Dosuun had discovered it. Armed conflict is hardly ever desirable, don't you find?"

Objective: Observe the spirits of the past
Shan Pavond Shan Pavond Juno Volante Nir Si Nir Si

Rayia smiled as she heard Shan, as she now learned his name was, voice the opinion that they should all stick together. It was a sentiment she shared, considering she had never been within the maw of the earth on any world. Not even her own. "I think that is a good idea. I am not sure how much help I will be however. You two," she said, pausing to indicate Nir and Shan with a clawed forefinger "...are both much more experienced than me in terms of our objective here." She admitted truthfully. This was after all her first foray into the world as a proper paladin. It was likely she wouldn't have even been on this quest if she had not sworn up and down that she had read to her all of the lessons younglings took in terms of the sanctity of one's light-fang.

At least, Rayia believed that to be at least partially true. She had after all, just awakened her sensitivity to the beyond. But while she had no understanding of the beyond, she knew of worldly matters. She could read the tension rising in the motions of others. The way they carried themselves was different. The way they spoke was different. Heck, even the way they smelled was different as the spicy aroma of anxious anticipation and bated breath trailed from them like a swirling cloak. She had seen it once before, when her mother had called a Great Hunt against the pirates who had captured members of their tribe as slaves to be sold. 'This star-sky is on the verge of another great hunt. And the paladins need every able hunter and huntress. That's why they have allowed me to try and find the heart of my light-fang. After all, one cannot hunt if one has no fangs.' Rayia thought to herself and took up a position near Shan. Surrounding herself with friendly faces helped to stabilize the beast, much like her tribe normally would.

As they started to familiarize themselves with the central room they were in and prepared to descend, Rayia tried to broach the topic. "I know the tomes say that the hearts are supposed to call to us as we to them, but how will I know what that feels like? What if I..." She stopped, trying to formulate her anxieties into a manageable question, "...What if I get it wrong?"

“Incredible,” she murmured at the thought of solely in-person communication. She supposed, at the time, there wouldn’t have been much communication to be doing, but for her it seemed devastatingly inefficient and inconvenient. And yet, a solid strategy for hiding a small colony.

Auteme took Fortan’s question as rhetorical, but gave a slight nod anyways. She listened for a while to the discussion below. She supposed the simplicity of Fortan's answer was a relief. The circumstances under which Auteme might want a more complex one had now passed.

"Was it difficult? To keep people from leaving or reaching out, I mean."

MjgzGMK.png

Natasi craned her neck, watching the proceedings below. She found that she enjoyed parliamentary procedures in the abstract -- as an observer. She didn't care for it as much as a participant. Her pale cheeks flushed at the memory of trying to address the woman seated near her. Too deferential, too ceremonial, and it all contributed to the feeling of powerlessness.

"No," Natasi answered softly. "People weren't kept from leaving or using communications in that way. Remember that the colony began as a highly concentrated, very dedicated group of people who understood that the aim of Project Renascence was to protect and ensure the continuity of the best, highest-held ideals of the First Order. They understood what was at stake if the warlords who tore apart the First Order were to stumble upon them, or if the Galactic Alliance discovered them and were unconvinced by their explanation."

"When people are -- heterogenous, for lack of a better word -- united in cause and purpose, they don't need to be controlled or restricted." Natasi paused thoughtfully, looking across at Auteme before she nodded softly toward the debate below. "It is one concern about opening Aegis to additional settlers and refugees. The challenge is whether -- and how -- the Renascent Republic should stay the Renascent Republic, united in cause and purpose while opening up to a broader electorate."

A delicate shrug of her shoulders. "May I ask you something? I've read about you, of course, but I know well enough that the press and public may not have the full picture. What was it like, on Epoch? It's -- forgive me for putting it bluntly -- not exactly an orthodox beginning to a political career, no?" Well, it was blunt to a Galidraani, anyway.

Auteme studied Fortan, eyes possessed of unnerving focus. Then she nodded and smiled. "Lovely. Well done, I like that."

Granted, it didn't much matter whether or not she liked it; it was done already. But it spoke to a trust and communal spirit that was devastatingly important to the unity of a group. Perhaps it wasn't Fortan's idea entirely, but there was a sort of pride there, and it was one Auteme liked very much.

At the Senator's question, she was very tempted to throw in an "I think you just did", but held her tongue until Natasi was finished.

"Well, that wasn't the beginning of my political career. I started- well, I started in the Alliance as an aide. Senate scribe. I sat on the Chancellor's podium -- tucked away by the bottom, and only called up very rarely, but on the podium nonetheless. I got to meet Chancellor Tagge- did you ever meet him? A kind soul, and a good leader. But, I got the position on Ryv's- the Sword of the Jedi's recommendation.

"Then I was the representative for the New Jedi. Again, mostly Ryv, but I was also the only one of us at the time with any interest in the Senate, and politics. To me, it was easier than fighting the Sith directly.

"Epoch... have you ever been there? It's a beautiful planet. Rich in so many ways. With everything that happened..." She couldn't quite reminisce about a time of her life that was an unbridled hell. Nor could she let her guard down and say what really happened.

"The people of Epoch deserved better. When the planet was liberated, the hand of Solipsis cast off, they asked me-" she stopped herself. "I made them make me Senator. It was... like the first decision I'd made in my entire life, that was all mine. And it worked, and I didn't stop. They needed a win, someone trustworthy but not over-associated with Epoch, somebody who was liked at home and in the Senate. And I convinced the transitional government that it was me, because it was, and I did my best."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom