Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ukraine:Civil War or Just a Flash in the Pan?

Jay Scott Clark said:
Our job as America is to encourage Ukraine to settle their internal affairs peacefully, publicly, and with respect to the Global Community of which their Finances and future belong. That's it.
The finances and future of Ukraine don't belong to the "global community". They belong to the Ukrainian people.

Aika Kawakami

Can one find true light when shadowed in darkness?
Regardless of which way the boat leans on this one.....

I have military family. My brother just came back from Afghanistan a month ago..

So, for my book, here's to hoping this passes without us having to intervene. Really hate going through this stuff over and over again. All the worrying kills people more than most know.

So, yeah. Rant over.

My mouth hit the floor when it was discovered that the Ukrainian Government had sanctioned orders for protesters injured during the protest to be taken from hospitals and tortured/exposed of. That was a good month or so back I do believe but the world is too much grey to even imagine. Every country woven together on different plains of different lies. The depth of the scheme would honestly make our heads spin backwards.

Skull and Bones would be a good place to start for anyone interested but clear your schedule cause that's just the tip of the ice berg and its hard to stop researching. But it would be in you're best interest to keep your head above water on stuff like this......

Why do we need moral high ground to act in our interests?

When has any country?

It may be a messed up planet but that's typically how it works, the government tells the masses that it's for their own good, because our country's different, we care, advance their own interests, and leave.

Every nation is selfish.

Why does this surprise anyone and why do folks feel the need to demonize one side in particular?

I find it funny Putin has just given the Russian military the green light to essentially invade the Crimean Peninsula, blockade their borders and take over their military and naval bases, and at the same time has been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. This world... I just... I just don't know anymore.

It's relatively easy to demonize Russia, in this case. Their history of human rights violations dwarfs ours. We're not perfect, by any means, and as pointed out earlier, we don't act solely for altruistic reasons. The thing is, we're more likely to attempt to actually stabilize their nation, while allowing them to remain independent, with a minimum amount of indecent behavior. Russia, however, is likely to conquer Ukraine, then prop up another puppet government, where they'll be fully capable of carrying out atrocities as they see fit. It's how Russia rolls. They operate like many nations, with their own interests at heart, but they do it far more cruelly.

Right. Native Americans + Andrew Jackson. Slavery.

I'm extremely patriotic but I recognize our ills, you'll always find me playing for home team but I won't always agree with our ways, and we're definitely not better than any other industrialized nations.

We're just as bad as anyone else.

The world's just one huge ball of moral ambiguity filled with people who believe they're morally right.

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
Russia's interests are pretty transparent in this whole situation. They want Crimea, or more specifically Sevastopol. After all, Russian history and foreign policy for the past 500 years or so can be summarized as such: "Russia needs a warm water port."

Wanna guess where that port happens to be?

The socio-cultural divide of Ukraine is a second factor. Roughly half the country is ethnically Ukrainian, the other half is ethnically Russian. Corresponding to North and South, respectively. Former President was from Russian half, protests were largely from Ukrainian half, etc. etc. It makes perfect sense that the ethnic Ukrainian's wouldn't be fans of Russia (something to do with Stalin and mass starvation) and just as much sense that the ethnic Russians would prefer to stay with Russia. Hence the situation.

I would agree that Russia is basically acting exactly as the US has in the past, though. So the gut reaction to see them as the 'unjust' aggressor is primarily our cultural bias. My understanding is that in Russia the media (which is granted, basically state controlled) is painting it basically how we did the Invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan. All a matter of perspective.

Jusik said:
Why do we need moral high ground to act in our interests? When has any country?
You don't. But it makes you look a bit hypocritical when you demonize the other side for acting in their own self-interest when it conflicts with your own.

Janus Rogo said:
The thing is, we're more likely to attempt to actually stabilize their nation, while allowing them to remain independent, with a minimum amount of indecent behavior. Russia, however, is likely to conquer Ukraine, then prop up another puppet government, where they'll be fully capable of carrying out atrocities as they see fit.
And the pro-EU government run by globalist bankers that the U.S. has spent 5 billion dollars in aid to install is not a puppet government? Shackling Ukraine to exploitative EU policies and IMF debt will lead to their "independence"?

@[member="Count Aretine"]

If you're referring to the government of the country of I'm a citizen of then yeah, they did. Just like every other country does when they have someone against their interests.

There is going to be a referendum about whether the Crimea rejoins Russia. The majority ethnic Russians of that area will likely go that way.

The US and the NATO countries will get over it. They've not gone into Syria where hundreds of thousands have been killed or displaced, so I seriously doubt they will pick on the 3rd most powerful country in the world...considering the whole Cold War was spent NOT fighting the Russians.

Yoru Shakou

What I find a bit dismaying is that the news has solely been focused on the events in the Ukraine; while in South America there has been civil unrest and protests in Venezuela, yet there isn't much coverage of those events on news stations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom