Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time Advancement

WLChOm4.png

I'll make it short and simple.

I think Staff should periodically set down time skips to accurately portray the movement of time for the entire site, say like making an official announcement that the accepted board-wide year is 855 ABY or 856 ABY etc etc etc

Maybe every year we advance by 3-4 years, or whatever is deemed necessary by staff.

I personally think that since it's been so long since the last timeline update, we should advance Chaos' time by a good 10 - 15 years before toying with the idea of yearly time advances or something along those lines.

Cuz as far as the official lore goes, it's still 851 ABY with the incursion and stuff.

Food for thought.

Bunker-level Normal
Even though I'm someone who has recently taken liberal use of the timey-wimey, Jeremy Bearimy nature of Chaos' fluid timeline, I agree with this.

It's good to have events on the same page for those who rely on that kind of timeline.

And for those who don't, they can just keep on chilling like a time villain.

Just gotta be a proper time villain. Let's see...

bcOOH68.jpg

Like this one.

Even if the timeline changes, stay a Ren Master at 20, stay a Jedi Padawan at 16, stay a Witch Spellweaver at 12, whatever, it works. Don't think about it too much or it'll hurt your brain.

Since Chaos operates off of a fluid timeline I think it's nice that we don't get too specific, like keeping up with a base timeline or, gods forbid, coordinating RP time with RL time. However, I agree that it would be nice to have periodic progression in time with some locked historic milestones.

[member="Darth Carnifex"]

[member="Darth Carnifex"]

I have to concur. A nice solid timeskip in the timeline since the last one has no cons, only positives.

- The Time Skip will give time context to old events and a sense of permanence for the achievements and stories we've made up till now.
- Its just a time skip for context on the timeline of where we are now. It has no real implications for people's role play nor shall it really change much other than legitimizing our past.

- Also consistent 2-3yr time jumps ever year for the timeline [doesn't change rp unless you want it to] will be great for giving us depth as a narratively forward moving story as a whole group and as a site.

I see no reason not to do this. Actually please do do this Staff. This'd be awesome!

[member="Darth Carnifex"] [member="Tathra Khaeus"]

I'm not opposed to moving time forward. Usually this was done via events, but since it's unlikely there will be a staff led event again for a good while we may just have to have a flat update.

Of course, we have a fluid time system so you don't have to age your characters or even acknowledge what year it is in your RPs. However, people seem to like having the timeline, so I don't see much harm.

I operate on a 3:1 system of board:real time, so 1 year IRL is 3 years IC. Thus it would be 853ABY now.

I will look at getting submissions for the new timeline in the near future.

Gilamar Skirata

The most important step is always the next one
[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Just a suggestion because they have been so popular recently with the larger Major Factions, but why not take chronicles to use as a base submission for the goings on of the galaxy at large? They're held to a high standard of neutrality and they're member submitted. It would be a cool way to integrate a board function with what you all seem to want anyways (user submissions)

Wouldn't really affect me. Yay space elves! But yeah, people like [member="Samka Derith"] get the short end of the stick when they ae suddenly rushed to develop their young characters who's entire point was to be young. Keep it timey wimey and leet folks age as appropriate. Id suggest time jumps during events or after times of mass turmoil such as the galactic war that destroyed the original republic and led to my own 6 year age jump

[member="Vulpesen"]

That's kind of the point. TONS of stuff has happened since the last time jump, its appropriate for a time jump now. Not from now to 15yrs later, but as in like it has BEEN 15yrs since then. Which, even then people can ignore.

Vulpesen said:
Wouldn't really affect me. Yay space elves! But yeah, people like [member="Samka Derith"] get the short end of the stick when they ae suddenly rushed to develop their young characters who's entire point was to be young. Keep it timey wimey and leet folks age as appropriate. Id suggest time jumps during events or after times of mass turmoil such as the galactic war that destroyed the original republic and led to my own 6 year age jump
nobody has to actually age their characters up. it's just a guideline to give people an idea of where to place their characters.

edit: and there was a similar war that just happened in the last year or so, which I'd consider just as impactful as the one between the OS and GR.

If a progression of time is decided upon; I feel that [member="Kyli DT-6767"] 'Great Galactic War' could be used as a potential bench mark for the Timeline. If memory serves me right, it seemed to span for a good portion of the later half of 2017 into the early half of 2018.

Additions to the timeline could be marked as after shock events or the after effects of the collapses of the various Major Factions.

Likewise, if the general thought is operating on a 3:1 ratio, by now it would be about 856 - 857 ABY, a time progression of 5 - 6 years. So it would be noticeable though not as great as the proposed 10 - 15 year jump forward.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom