Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Till Death do us Part

I see alot of this and agree with most of it (by most I mean almost all of it) There would be a few things that I would change, but that's just my Preference as a person and not a necessity. No need to voice them since I can deal with it if it gets approved and used.

Only problem I can see with this being allowed is that you will get some people that will Metagame just so they don't get to this situation.

As much as I would not like to admit it, but I know that I have Metagamed in the past to avoid death, and all it did was make matters worse. When really the solution was to take a good hit and survive. make a way, even if that means licking someones *cough* [member="Mikhail Shorn"] *cough* boots, or kissing some serious ass to stay alive. And I can say that by preforming that act as Darren made for a good story later on. *Cough [member="Ashin Varanin"] Laughing at me *Cough* Stay out of situations where you will absolutely be killed, and you are fine.

[member="Enigma"]

I disagree with your statement about griefing.

I also think to some extent, if this is modified a bit from the original post, as I suggested in my 2nd post...then it can be a good thing.

People can learn to expand beyond one or two characters. Siblings or even off-spring. I think there is alot of padding offered and alot of leeway given and people bend it to the point of breaking it. I would say this is a heavily abused thing.

[member="Dante Zankar"]

You're not always going to be able to avoid situations of PVP, PVE or whatever. Just learn your character better, know the limits. *shrugs* It's not about who is better or not and boom, you're going to die type deal. It's about people understanding that this allows an expansion of originality and keeps things fresh for everyone. Recycled material becomes brittle and old after a while. Even applies or should apply with a character. Palpatine degraded swiftly, each time. People here somehow magically use Essence Transfer and are like Gods for eternity.

I call that God-Moding.

Well death is inevitable. So are taxes, pain, and fights. So staying away from fights is impossible here. What I mean by stay away is to not put your character into a situation where the highest likely outcome is death. If you are an apprentice and go off to fight a master who is intent on killing you, you run, not fight.

Now there are times where a apprentice and a master fight briefly (happened to me twice with my alt Nick) and I survived because their was no way for me to win. All I could do was survive. Ad you said, learn your characters strengths and use them. Even now, I know that Darren/Dante's story will soon be coming to a close as in about a year I have to leave IRL for personal reasons.

I have no problem in having my characters die, I just don't want it now however. ;)

I would say it's inevitable to get griefed if one's characters are known as illogical sex beasts. -_-

Anyways, I have always been against bringing back characters. Like, if they have actually died in a duel which was role-played out or something. But this system you proposed is rather extreme. Of course it's one of the most logical ways to make resurrection like... canonish or something, but... I still think I support only a part of it. Whatever, though. Most likely we'll never have a system which all agree on, so I believe I should start choosing who I actually RP with, just like [member="Preliat Mantis"] said.

[member="Mrrew"], a person doesn't have to be a Factory Judge to have good ideas. XD

[member="Valik"]
I think this falls into the situation where we would be causing a lot of hassle for no real gain, not to mention adding more bureaucracy.
How many characters have died and come back repeatedly? Very few. If you see something you think is fishy report it and let it be dealt with by the RPJs.

Although I think you have put some thought into this I don’t think this is necessary or desirable. The RP has shown a great ability to regulate itself, and pushing more rules into it won’t make it better.

Jerrick Shado was killed by Rolland, a fellow Czar, for a long time we both missed him, when The Horde came into play, I wanted to help Dredge, so i got this idea....bring back Jerrick, but as something totally different, a Sithspawn. Now when i did this, no one argued it, they actually found it interesting, and it worked out. Jerrick was now a savage beast controlled by Dredge. It was amazing but i lost muse with him, and the connection with The Horde fell to me, and i just stuck with Romeo.

Valik

Professor of Alchemy
I think this falls into the situation where we would be causing a lot of hassle for no real gain, not to mention adding more bureaucracy.
It would deter a very specific instance of godmodding, would require the resurrectee to put together links of dev thread of his/her learning/acquiring resurrection skill/item, and a vote from the staff. Essentially it's the same thing as a Master Dossier, except far less intensive(as you're only having to look at a few links rather than a character's entire history) and far more rare. Considering the lessened load on RPJ's/Admins in the last few months due to the widespread expansion of FJ's in the factory I doubt it would be any real hassle for the Staff. I will admit that it is "adding more bureaucracy" but it is in my opinion a rather minor addition.

Valeria Aetani said:
How many characters have died and come back repeatedly?
I can name six characters who've transferred from the body of one person to another, four of which(If memory serves correct) have done it multiple times.. I can name three characters in canon who've done the same thing successfully after reading the wook article on Transfer Essence.

Although I think you have put some thought into this I don’t think this is necessary or desirable. The RP has shown a great ability to regulate itself, and pushing more rules into it won’t make it better.
An argument could be made that by the number of characters playing musical chairs with bodies the RP has shown an inability to regulate itself.

If you see something you think is fishy report it and let it be dealt with by the RPJs.

*Shrugs* Making a clear ruling on an exploited issue could prevent the matter from becoming a problem in the first place, thus causing less reports and work in the long term. If five people try to use Transfer Essence illegitimately that's five reports that need to be dealt with. If a ruling is made and one person out of the five looks at the template, realizes they don't have the work, and doesn't fill out the template that's one less issue to deal with. It's not guaranteed, but a logical trend in my personal opinion. If it is the will of the staff however I suppose I can push that report button more.

Enigma said:
[member="Jay Scott Clark"]

My argument about griefing stands. One can only assume that this will lead to it in some fashion or another.
One could say that about anything really. Humans are creative in their methods and avenues of offense.

Generally, I like the idea that a little modest yay or nay by an RPJ or two every once in a while when a big shot Sith Lord thinks he can just respawn without prior experience of learning the ability to do so, a crime I myself have committed. I feel like a rev like that (on any bases, to not discriminate non-sith here) basically requires some feasible explanation before and after the death of a character (though it could be pardoned on a before matter if the rev wasn't previously planned, so long as the after death RP is substantial).

Basically what I'm saying, this be cool, keep it simple, treat it like any other restricted item.

[member="Valik"]
Since the main thing you're concerned about is Dev Threads all that needs to be done is to change the rules for obtaining the item so it doesn't involve player killing like you mentioned. The other problems will go away after that.

See, if we step in and say 'you must submit a reason to regenerate' why not look to other things like people having to apply to learn a list of powers, or to use certain equipment? You can either have free-form RP or restricted, and making rules is the very last resort.

After all, Alchemy-Spam is arguably a much worse problem in the Factory. Would we have people apply to be able to use that? It pushes too many restrictions.

I saw something earlier..about a sword...and the person wanted it to be a Sith sword...I know this needs alchemy...but it was either 20+ alone or 10+ With a alchemist....how does that work? That means you can by pass the alchemist and do it yourself...and not even know alchemy..

I know my two cents don't matter but...that seems like we don't need Alchemist on here then...honestly I can name maybe five of them..out of what...a hundred+ people who are on here? Seems like a low number for such a high member count..but that's not the point..such things need a alchmeist whicj builds others rep and play and use in such things in Dev Threads...way I see relationships are made, and more interesting things go down when you require the need for a person capable of such acts in order to obtain your tech? Right? That's just me...you wanna make a Sith sword? Get a alchemist...but then I also see this...not many alchemist want to apply their abilities to others uses..faction they will but a total outsider? Why should they? And their right...so then that requires the other to work for that trust...and you see where this is going??

[member="Romeo Sin"] dude, have you ever wondered how an alchemist came to be an alchemists? Because they learned it and did it so repeatedly they got rep for it. I've a sith that dabbles in alchemy, but he does it so infrequently he isn't considered an "alchemist".

So sure, you might not NEED an alchemist, but having one legitimizes what your making a lot easier and a lot faster than trying to go about it solo.

But I'm pretty sure this is now a tangent.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
The Factory is a fun, but very optional, part of the website. It is a great place to educate people about the genre and the universe, to learn and grow new things, but there is also a temptation to take it too seriously.

I would appreciate it if in these discussion we could separate 'Roleplaying Concerns' from 'Factory Concerns'. Likewise, 'Roleplay Judge Concerns' and 'Factory Judge Concerns'. Because they very rarely are the same thing.

I say that because: If I want to learn a Force Power, I'm not going to make a Dev Thread. My Factory creds have nothing to do with my Roleplaying. Because they are optional. :)

The subtle temptation of the Factory is to believe we all couldn't live without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom