Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Teaching Resilience (Elpsis)

Elpsis Kerrigan Elpsis Kerrigan

Tamoca smiled, seemingly cheered from her earlier gloom. When she spoke she spoke in good but accented Basic. "This is of most wonder this place. I hear your tone, I guess you are an star-traveller? The hope I have is that this encounter has helped you understand how things were, and how it has changed."
"I've never had a chance to come here, and I regret not coming sooner," Ximal said approvingly.

The circle was available for Xilae and Zhaleh whilst Tamoca discussed with Diona. Both of them would feel the power of the Light here, both draining and holding back the dark.
"Come closer to us, chila," a voice in Xilae's head invited. A polite invitation, not an attempt to demand or control.

XXX

Lia smiled, amused perhaps. "It may well, Lady Vykaris. I am pleased to have met you." She turned back to the others. "Embark on your lightsabre training then, Lieutenant. I will prepare everything here and contact you when we are ready for you to return to complete the ceremony of returning the artifacts."

Phylis bowed politely to the Queen. "Thank you, your Majesty. Elpsis, shall we?" she asked with a nod. "Your companions are more than welcome to attend if you wish, or if they have other duties they may see to them instead."

Phylis Alince Phylis Alince

"Yes, I am," Diona said a bit stiffly. The weight had not been lifted from her shoulder. Nor should it. It had been made more bearable. "It has made me...understand many things. About this place, myself."

Meanwhile, Zhaleh and Xilae walked into the circle. The Qadiri looked at it in wonder. Being a Qadiri, she was not the type to think of the Force as a sentient entity divided in light and dark, but she could not deny she felt a presence that was calming and soothing. Is this what it feels like to be in Kashara's light, she wondered. Hearing the voice - gentle and not commanding - resonate in his mind, Xilae stepped forward. "Tlachinolli, are...are you there?"

xxx

She likes me, Nyssa broadcast smugly to Elpsis, who wondered whether to slap her again. The Pureblood might enjoy it too much. She bowed, said her said her thanks and turned. Unexpectedly Pyre spoke up after they'd left the room. "You will also pay the Daughters of the Destroyer a visit."
Elpsis groaned, her attempts to be diplomatic dissipating away. "Is that really necessary?"

"Yes. It's vital they see a Kerrigan. Lady Kerrigan's absence...as well as some...misunderstandings about your latest appearance on Firemane news, have caused some anxiety."
"Just show them a hologram of Siobhan speechifying if they miss her so much."
"I think you'll find that many Xio are attracted to the sect, superstitious as it is, for more down-to-earth reasons than Kerrigan idolatry. I've spoken with their priestesses and they will send their less...extreme members."

Last edited:
"It does this," Tamoca confirmed with a nod. "Go in peace, star-traveller."
Ximal bowed her head, then realised what a stupid thing that was to do to a blind person. "Uhh, thank you, Tamoca, I will be sure to return here soon."
When they had left the group behind she looked to Diona. "Where to now?"

The spirits appearing before Xilae did not have any individual form, but rather the golden highlights surrounded them all.
"They are with us. They watch you. Bear their memory, do not let it fade, remember their deeds."
Xilae would see the same scene as Diona, but from a different perspective. He would see his sister free Tamoca, give her a kiss, and then dart into the action, leading a force of slaves and rebels. It was Tlachinolli who first breached the defense line, personally killing the head overseer before falling to a poisoned blade in the neck. However, as she fell her murderer was struck down and the flag of rebellion raised. Victory...at terrible cost.
He would return to the present and find a single one of the golden shapes a little forward.
"Go...brother...be strong. Do not forget what happened here." The voice echoed but was distinctly, just this once, the voice of his sister Tlachinolli.
The shape then dissolved back into the others.
Zhaleh too would see a vision, this of a Qadiri slave who helped avenge the fallen hero with a looted pistol before succumbing to her wounds.

XXX

Phylis nodded in agreement with Pyre. "Though I know there are some...many...in the Destroyers who are rather less fanatical. Hmm, they are not really aligned with my sort of goals and beliefs. However, though the Dark Side has lured many of them, those in the Daughters are not Sith or anything close. I know and have spoken to many reasonable ones who make use of the patronage and assistance networks it provides. Still, I am sure you can find some who are not, hmm, part of the fan-club."
She straightened her robe. "Anyway, shall we go, Elpsis? I know a place we can train with or without an audience."

"Is there anything else I could see here?" Diona asked. "Or we could...talk, if you wish." While Elpsis was off doing whatever she was doing, Diona was responsible for the two acolytes. So she didn't feel like wandering off. It would be irresponsible.

Suddenly Xilae was encircled by golden highlights. He looked surprised, even a bit disconcerted. But the feeling he got from them was soothing. "What...are you?" Then he was suddenly swept away by the vision. He saw her! "Tlachinolli!" he exclaimed. Of course, the apparition couldn't hear or see him. But he beheld her and Tamoca, then saw her cut down slavers. The hated overseer fell, but so she did so. He angrily brushed away tears forming in his eyes as he watched the life fade from her eyes.

The images faded away and he was in the circle. But one golden apparition out of many stepped forward. And then he heard her voice. It was hers. Truly hers. "Tlachinolli? Wait...don't go." But she was already slipping away. "I love you. I'll never forget. I'll make sure our people don't either!"

Then he felt a soft hand on his shoulder. "Xilae...are you alright?"
"I...", he needed a moment to compose himself. "Yes...I saw her. Tlachinolli."
"In the vision? I saw a Qadiri...and then I heard a voice in Zandri."
"They're at peace," he took a breath. "She's at peace."

xxx

"I would do rather do without cults, whatever their colour scheme. But it is what it is. A couple hours humouring them is a small price to pay," Ambassador Pyre remarked.
"Alright, fine," Elpsis muttered. "But I'm not posing for statues or anything. Anyway, let's go." She looked at Hazani and Nyssa. "You wanna come along or got stuff to do?"
"With your permission, ma'am, I'd like to compile a list of relics that should be in the vaults," the Qadiri said.
"Granted. Nyssa?"
"I'll come along and watch you swing a glowstick around. Maybe whack you again."

Last edited:

Ximal smiled slightly. "I'm always happy to talk! But I have something to show you, it's not far." She led Diona a short ways, still within the precinct of the forges to a door guarded by a Seeker.
"I want to show her the pit," Ximal asked in Xio, which Diona might or might not understand.
"Does she feel the spirits?"
"Yes. But she is versed in defending herself."
"Three minutes, Ximal, no more."
The door was unlocked and a catwalk was exposed. Ximal turned to Diona and into Basic. "This section is not for...well...those who might be mentally influenced. It's very different from the nexus. The spirits here are angry, confused, they might lash out. The visions they might give are more...jarring. I do not want you to go in unless you are sure, there is no shame to it. I have not been here before, but I've heard about it."

The golden light before Zhaleh and Xilae faded to its lowest ebb, its energy clearly depleted by two visitations so close together.
"You saw her?" Tamoca asked softly. "I have heard her voice before, seen a vision of her. It makes me all the more determined to continue what I do here. To help remember her and all who fell."
All around them the air was still, quiet, peaceful...for now.

XXX

The Queen bade them well, and they headed out, minus Hazani who stayed with a clerk to compile a list.
Phylis led Elpsis out of the palace to a small nearby arena. Once slaves and beasts had fought here for the amusement of the the crowds, but now it was reserved for drills and training. Its size indicated that it was once a private arena, perhaps even the Vondra family's private pit.
"This should do the trick, hmm." She headed to one corner and gently removed her outer robe. "Now, I've brought training sabres for us both so the worse we'll get is a mild zap rather than, hmm, dismemberment."
She handed one to Elpsis, taking the other and putting her proper one down on the bench.
"Right, so this is training only, neither of us is winning or losing, I am quite prepared to learn as much as I hope you are. So with that said, did you want to explain which forms you follow, and I will then discuss Soresu and demonstrate."

This seemed like the type of nexus Diona was more familiar with. "I have been to...sites like this. Their suffering is so deeply imprinted on the spirits anger overwhelms them," she remarked. "How should I act around them? I have no wish to add to their distress." Not anymore, not if I can help it. The worst had always been those who used to be comrades.

The Windian Jedi's response to a haunted site would have been simple. The angry spirits were of the dark side. But then looking into the problem more deeply would've revealed the uncomfortable fact that the Jedi's actions just swelled their ranks.

Meanwhile, the golden light had faded away for now. It would return soon, but for the time being the spirits were silent, having returned to the gestalt entity. "Yes, Xilae said, regaining his composure. "I saw you, too. You were...close. I'm glad she had someone like you."

"May Kashara's light protect them and ever illuminate this place," Zhaleh said solemnly. "I saw a Qadiri. She slew Tlachinolli's killer, but but didn't survive. Do you know her name?"

xxx

"No dismemberment? That takes the fun out of everything," Nyssa mock protested. "Sure I could whip up another alchemised body part for Elpsis or for you, dear Master Jedi. I heard you liked my work and have a passion for alchemy. Perhaps you'd like to have a piece of me deep inside you, too."

"Nyssa, that joke got lame ages ago. Also, wasn't this supposed to be your diplo day?" Elpsis retorted.
The Pureblood shrugged her broad shoulders. "We're not at court, no Xio ladies are here. But if you want to learn how to act at court, I can always teach you my incredible diplo skills."

"The incredible diplo skills you probably can't keep up for long before you get fed up?" Turning her gaze back to Phylis, Elpsis finally got around to responding her. "Don't really follow a fixed form, I guess. Know some Shii-Cho like everyone with a glowstick and a bit of Soresu."

Last edited:

"Keep your barriers up. Some of them are aware of what has happened, some are not. React with calmness and compassion. Do not allow anger or fear to cloud your emotions. That will draw them to you. You should be safe, as you will not be recognisable to them as I might as a Xio."
The catwalk was quite old. Sections close to the door had been repaired and improved with modern metals, but this work seemed to have been abandoned part way through, likely because of the visitations.
For those who did not like heights it was best not to look down. It extended out maybe thirty feet and eventually came to a wider ending. The ornate mouth which had once dominated the end had been removed but otherwise it remained the same. Far below was a bubbling trough of lava. Ancient pullies and chains once scooped this material out to use above, or the unfortunate miners below had to work in the oppressive heat and fumes.

A figure seemed to be waiting for them at the end. She was dressed in rags, her skin marked with bruises and cuts, her legs chained together. She turned as they approached and they could see it was a Qadiri, angry and frightened.
"Please don't send me over, I can still work! I'll be good!"
Her eyes fell on Diona, confused, then to Ximal and her eyes narrowed. "Why are you doing this to us?! Why do you make us suffer?"
"Be at peace, spirit, your suffering is over," Ximal said softly.
"What do you...?" Anger coursed across her face. "You killed me and now come to mock me?"
Ximal bowed her head. "Time has passed. Tell me your name so I can remember it. Evil destroyed you, but not all is darkness. There is the Light."

Diona would see other shapes appearing as if from mist. Some Xio, some Vash, some Qadiri. One reached out bloodied hands to her. "Help us!"

XXX

Tamoca shook her head. "I do not, sorry. When the slaves were brought here they were not referred to by name. Some were tattooed or branded with a number, but as often or not they were simply called whatever crude name the overseers thought was funny. We recovered all the names and identities we could afterwards and keep them here, but sadly there are fewer than we'd like."

"We were...close, yes. But I hope she is in a better place now. One day, spirits willing, I will join her, hopefully aid her in looking over this place so that its history is not lost, but that is not my choice."

XXX

Phylis frowned. "I'm sure you would do a credit to your craft, Nyssa, but if it's all the same I'll, hmm, refuse. I see though you are full of surprises. Very interesting."

"Okay, that's a good starting point. Hmm, I won't belabour the point, but it's good to understand what Soresu is and is not. It is not, hmmph, only defensive like some people claim. Lightsabre combat is dangerous, often quick, and often fatal. A single glance can cut through skin and bone better than a hack with a regular blade. Therefore defense is wise...to a point. Remember, the attacker only needs you to miss one parry and its over. That is why Soresu is interesting because it is fundamentally about turning defence into attack. Protection against ranged and melee as a means of counter attacking."

She activated the training blade which glimmered yellow. "Soresu is a form which favours those who are quick, agile, it does not necessarily reward the battering ram or the hammer blow. Your goal is to deflect the enemy just enough so you escape harm, trade space for time and wait for the counter attack. I think though it is easiest to demonstrate the principles. So, with the training blade and nothing else, come at me and attack."

The Jedi Master took a guard stance and waited for Elpsis to attack.

Suddenly apparitions manifested around them. Qadiri, Vash and Xio - all were dressed in tattered rags, their skin was scarred and bruised. Legs chained together. Most were emaciated - just skin and bones. Diona flinched at the sight. Bones were poking out of their skin. She took a breath.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." Was she sorry for them or all those she had helped condemn to such a wretched fate on Tephrike? She didn't know. She wiped a tear away that was forming in her eye. Bloodied hands reached for her and she took them. "Your oppressors are dead. You can...go. Find peace in the Light."

She looked to Ximal, uncertain. The Inquisition did have Exorcists, but their techniques were all about putting spirits down and banishing them. These were innocent souls in pain. Damn Shikoba for not being here. The Ghosttalker would know what to do. "I will...try to help you."

xxx

"May Kashara's light bring you together again," Zhaleh said solemly. "And you, too, Xilae. Where to now?"
"Tomb of the Unknown Martyr?" the Xioquo male suggested. "It's guarded by the Daughters, right?" he looked to Tamoca for confirmation. "That'll be fun."
"Don't tell the Lieutenant."

xxx

The training blade howled to life when she ignited it, casting a blue light over Elpsis' tanned, viciously scarred features. Then she was suddenly upon the Jedi. Her magitech hand held the hilt of her lightsabre. The swing came in quick, a downward attack aimed at Phylis' sword hand and wrist, though equally fine with zapping her forearm.

Lightsabres were incredible weapons, though the proliferation of beskar and phrik not to mention the widespread availability of glowsticks undermined the mystique quite a bit. But standard lightsabres possessed a notable design flaw: they had abysmal hand protection.

Last edited:
Ximal raised her gaze a moment, her look was solemn, then alarmed. "Be careful, Diona! Do not invite them, as tempting as it might be."
The original shade looked at Diona's hands, then up at her. For the first time her gaze seemed to focus slightly.
"So this is it, is it? I am dead? She is one of the outsiders we heard of."
"Yes, it is so. Years have passed; those of my kin who oppressed you are dead, now we maintain a memorial to those who perished."
"I...why am I still here?"
"This is a place of great evil, those actions can remain and taint the land. Seek peace in the light."
The spirit's spectral eyes narrowed. "I do not want to go. I will have what was taken from me. I need it!"
She speared herself directly at Ximal, attempting either to enter or maybe possess her. The Xio held up her hands, a bright flash of light and the spirit recoiled angrily. Then it turned its gaze to Diona and moved to pounce her as well.
"Defend yourself, Diona!" Ximal called urgently.
"Do not consign me to the Netherworld as you have done so many. Let me join you and live again...." Was it a voice in her head, from the spirit or something else entirely? Either way, Diona had to defend herself.

XXX

The tomb was indeed guarded by a Daughter. As they approached she nodded her head to them.
"You will not touch the tomb," she said sternly, and then settled back into her watchful stance.
The tomb itself was unimpressive, by design. It was a well carved sarcophagus of common stone. Engraved onto it were Xio runes which read:
Here lies one whose name is lost. Their memory and all who suffered here will never be forgotten.

XXX

Phylis had the appearance, mannerisms and demeanor of a humble, sometimes oblivious academic most of the time. However, beneath that layer was a master of the Force and quite capable fighter, though she preferred not to when she could.
The Jedi Master moved quickly, stepping back and using her own blade to intercept and nudge away Elpsis' own. She did not counter attack, instead she took another step back.
"You see the use of angles and movement which is the hallmark of Soresu. Movement is important in all forms, but here it is even more so as it gives you time. Attack again, Elpsis, and I will demonstrate a suitable riposte."
She assumed her guard stance once more.

"Do not consign me to the Netherworld as you have done so many. Let me join you and live again...." Was it the spirit, her own thoughts, the nexus or something else entirely? Diona did not know. Energies of the Light coalesced around the clone's palms. They kept the spirit at bay, like a shield...but they did not push her away.

"Tell me your name, spirit. Your fate was cruel, and undeserved, but your murderers are dead. If you linger, madness awaits you. I cannot...let you displace me. Not because I am more deserving of life, for I'm not...but I must make amends for the harm I caused. I cannot shirk my duty." To simply yield and forsake responsibility would be the coward's way out. "Why do you seek to return to the flesh?"

xxx

Xilae and Zhaleh spent a moment in solemn silence as they looked upon the tomb. It was simple in design, but more powerful for it. It was a monument not to queens and aristocrats, but to the common people. After a moment, Zhaleh broke the silence. When she spoke, it was in Zandri, albeit in the dialect common to her people in the far north. "O Kashara, forgive the unknown martyr who rests here, and elevate their station among those who are guided. Send them along the path of those who came before, and forgive us and them, O Queen of the stars. Enlarge for them their grave and shed light upon them in it."

She only noticed at the end of her chant that the Daughter had approached her. Tall, scarred in obsidian ceremonial armour as an honour guard, she looked intimidating. Zhaleh flushed slightly. "It's a Qadiri prayer for the dead. I hope you don't mind. I'd say it in Xio, but I'm not...good at it and it doesn't sound right in Basic."

The Daughter scrutinised her for a moment. "It is acceptable," she paused. But her gaze was marked with suspicion. "We get few Qadiri visitors."
"I hope you get more. Our dead are here, too."
"She's a good friend," Xilae interjected. "Nazar'Xilae."
There was a spark of recognition in the Daughter's eyes. "Brother of Tlachinolli."
"That would be me."
"I greet you, little brother," the Daughter smiled slightly and glanced at the blind Xio. Her tone softened into something more solicitous. "Sister Tamoca, do you need anything?"

xxx

Gripping her lightsabre's hilt in both hands, magitech and flesh, feet planted firmly on the ground, Elpsis launched a powerful overhead blow. In application it was Djem So, albeit not very experienced, taking advantage of her greater strength. A slash like that would cleave a foe from shoulder to belly if it actually hit and the lightsabre was not set to stun.

Last edited:

"I...am Javana Jai Akamal....I have family! I have to talk with them, I have so many things to tell them. And my husband and children, I want to see them one last time. Please do this for me, let me join with you. When I am done I will depart for judgement beyond the veil, I promise. Please...."
The spirit backed off metaphorically, no longer trying to force, but trying to get her to accept a joining.

Ximal looked agonised by this. "This is all my fault, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have brought you here. You can't always trust what the spirit says. Do not accept - we can find and pass the message to her family, even ensure she is properly provided for. But if she joins with you she might never leave."

Javana glared at the Xio. "If your people hadn't taken me from my home I wouldn't need to beg as a spirit for closure! Please, star traveller...help me in death achieve what I could not in life!"

XXX

Tamoca smiled in the Daughter's direction. "All is well, Sister Maxlie. These guests have come to pay their respects."
There was silence as they stood before the tomb. The flickering braziers cast shadows onto the walls around. It was peaceful here. The Force was balanced, calm, here.

XXX

Again Phylis moved as the attack came, but not backwards, but to the side. Carefully, her blade intercepted the downward strike, twisted under the guard and slashed.
The training blade's tip rapped against Elpsis' taut tummy with a zap. It was not especially painful, but it was a zap.
"You alright?" She asked in concern. When assured so she's continue.
"So you observe how with an application of movement and using the lower guard I can effectively deflect and counter attack. If I had met that heavy overhead slash dead on you'd likely have crashed straight through."

"So we'll start with the simple guard position. Take this stance."
The Jedi had one leg slightly ahead of the other, blade angled up from a low guard.

Last edited by a moderator:

A Jedi's life is sacrifice. I pray to you, O Ashla. Diona was silent for what seemed like an eternity. "I'm a...knight of Ashla," she said at last. "I cannot let fear cloud my mind. I...have a family, too. A family I may never see again, save on the battlefield blade drawn. I can make you see yours. Come." She took a deep breath. "Join me." Holding the spirit's spectral hand firmly, she pulled Javana close and braced herself.

xxx

Maxlie nodded, seemingly satisfied with this answer. "Very well. Mayhaps you can see my sisters later if you like."
"They won't ask me to stand outside while the ladies talk?" Xilae asked dryly.
"The word and assistance of the Daughters is for all Xio who lived under the yoke of the oppressors."

"I would like to meet them. We can understand each other better if we talk," Zhaleh opined. Perhaps she was being a bit idealistic, but it was not the idealism of someone who had lived a sheltered life in an idyllic world. She had grown up in the icy north where life was struggle. But it was not just the sword that kept her people...but also taking their foe's outstretched hand. While still keeping the blade within reach.

"Alright then. You're not like...other Qadiri I have met," the Daughter said thoughtfully.
"Many Qadiri say the same. My tribe lives far from the deserts and great cities, up in the north where the icy wind howls and snow dragons well."
"Maybe you could tell us a bit about it," Maxlie looked towards Tamoca. "Would you say a prayer with me, sister?"

xxx

"Oh, come on, Master Jedi, a zap is like a massage for Elpsis. I'd swat her on the arse. She really likes attention there." Nyssa had to swiftly dodge because a small fire just happened to be lit right beneath her boots.
"Nyssa, shut up," Elpsis remarked, though the playful smirk on her face showed she was not actually mad. Regardless, she imitated the guard position as good as she could, holding the blade in a low guard. She was blind, but she could see shapes and all that.

Last edited:

"Thank you, star traveller. Now...relax your mind."
The merging was not painful, but it was disorientating. It would be a true out of body experience as another consciousness filled her mind. There was a moment where Diona felt herself pushed to the back of her own subconscious before she re-established control. Ever after though she would feel like there was a presence in her mind...a metaphorical figure looking over her shoulder.
"We are one, Diona. I shall not forget this kindness...."

Ximal moved forward to offer a hand in case Diona stumbled or swayed. She sighed. "Zixasa is going to be mad. I'm going to be on latrine detail for a month." She brightened up though as she had an unusually sunny nature. "Still, I might get to go with you to find the family. I like beaches. Not in the day, of course, but dusk is a great time."
She was babbling and she knew it. It was a covering method for anxiety, and curiosity.
"Uhh...Diona...can you hear me?"
The other spirits had faded away.

xxx

Tamoca nodded. "Of course, sister." She smiled at where she imagined them all to be.
She started to speak in Xio, a prayer which reached back into the distant times when perhaps the darkness was not so pervasive. It was told in a lyrical, singing or chanting tone, soft and flowing.
"Spirits of earth, sky, water and fire, hear our prayer. Take those who have been lost and bring them rest. Take those who have done evil and bring them justice. Take those who are broken and bring them relief. Take those who have done right and bring them reward. For those who remain bring us peace, for we in time will join those who are gone, and at that time let us meet again beyond the shadows."
She looked down at the floor a moment, as if imagining those lost. "Xilae, would you be so kind as to translate for Zheleh if needed?"

xxx

Phylis gave Nyssa a stern look, as to a teacher whose pupil had made a ribald joke. "Hmmph, if you wanted to help perhaps you grab the training remote from the locker."
The Jedi moved behind Elpsis. "My apologies, I can help better giving suggestions if I touch you," she said. Doubtless her innocent choice of words would spark more innuendo from Nyssa.
Regardless, she gently moved Elpsis arms, legs and back into the perfect position.
"Note how this gives you good positioning to move forward, back or to the sides. The guard is positioned in such a way to defend low, high, from blasters or blades. Now, the other key benefit of Soresu is it can defend against blaster bolts very well because your stance allows agility and positioning against attacks from all angles."

She nodded to Nyssa. "Start the practice drone up and have it target me. See the angles I use, Elpsis. See the use of movement. And when you're ready we'll switch it to you, I'll assist as you go."

The contact was electric. Not painful, but like she was being pushed out towards the edge of her mind. Suddenly a feeling of fear and dread filled Diona as another consciousness took control of her body. She had been foolish. Then she was suddenly in control again, but no longer alone. She felt the presence of another.

She reached out, trying to touch the new consciousness she was now the host of. She was met by a myriad of feelings and emotions that were not her own, and yet felt like it now. "Are you alright?" Fortunately, Ximal was there to catch her because she swayed. Her legs felt a bit like jellie at the moment. "I...," she began, speaking haltingly. "Yes. I feel...it is...difficult to describe the feeling. Javana is here, too."

xxx

Zhaleh listened intently while the two Xio woman prayed. Having spent some time among Xioquo - either those who had been taken captive or who'd made peace with her tribe after the slaying of the kraken - she'd learned some words, but not enough to be considered fluent. But she could get the meaning behind it, even if she didn't understand all the words.

The chanting was lyrical and melodic. Once Tamoca was done, Xilae provided a translation. When he was done, Zhaleh smiled slightly. "Thank you. That was beautiful. Is this a new prayer? It sounds a bit familiar."
"Old, but long forgotten. When the Tyrant's had not yet chained our minds as she chained our bodies," Maxlie confirmed. "Ever since the Karishzar, peace be upon her, slew Myrou, we have been able to reclaim what was once buried."

Xilae looked a bit distracted while the conversation took place. His Senses prickled, feeling a sudden surge of energy, and he locked eyes with Zhaleh. "Did you feel that?"

xxx

Nyssa gave the Jedi a toothy grin, displaying perfect teeth. "Oh, Master Jedi, don't be shy. Elpsis likes hands-on lessons. Just go a bit lower." Unfortunately, since Phylis was behind Elpsis now, the Pureblood no longer had a good view of the Jedi's backside.

Shame. It had looked like something to sink your teeth in, despite the bathrobe the Jedi had insisted on wearing. Nyssa found them silly, but they were tradition, and that was something she recognised as important. Unlike those edgy rocker outfits the New Jedi wore. No wonder they were what humans called 'emo'. Regardless, Nyssa opened up the locker and retrieved the training remote. Switching it on, she input the command to have it target Phylis.

Last edited:

Ximal helped Diona to the door and then to a seat. The Seeker practically glared at Ximal as they sat down.
"What did I tell you? Don't let the spirits get close!" She said in Xio
"Hey, I warned her, but she let them in," Ximal retorted.
"Well you should have protected her. Outsiders don't know what they're doing," the Seeker groused. "I shall have to report this to Zixasa. Stay here and try to guard the door correctly at least."
"Eesh, Light is not always forgiving, it seems," Ximal said with a laugh, switching back to basic.

She looked seriously at Diona. "She's in there...but you're still in control? What does she want? You're not possessed are you? Blink three times for yes!" She smiled to show it was a joke as she checked Diona's pulse and breathing.
"Well, it seems normal, from what I know about human biology...we probably need to get you checked out by an expert though. Hopefully before my flogging - sadly only metaphorical."

xxx

Tamoca nodded in agreement, but when Xilae spoke she looked confused. "Sense...what?"
Maxlie however took Tamoca's hand in hers. "I feel it, a disturbance in the spirits. Go, I will stay here with Tamoca."
This would allow Zhaleh and Xilae to make their way over to encounter Diona and Ximal....

xxx

Phylis sighed. "Is she always like this?" she asked. It reminded her of Sio's constant attempts in their earlier days to flirt with her. She suspected the Sith was doing it to annoy her and whilst it wasn't succeeding it was a little tiring.
Still, the remote activated and floated up. Like all such drones it was there to test and train one without causing serious harm.
"Notice how I move into the defense. The Force guides us, but it is still your hand which moves the blade."
The first sting blast shot out and Phylis' blade moved gracefully down to deflect the bolt. Each time it fired she sometimes would move aside just enough to let it pass her by, other times the blade came down to parry it aside just enough.
"The key is knowing exactly where it is in motion and having the judgement to deflect or evade. Did you want to have a try now?"

Diona looked at Ximal in puzzlement, frowning. "Why would you wish to be flogged?" Perhaps she had misheard the Xio. It was the only possibility that made sense. "Your superior is right to be angry, but it should be directed towards me. I am sorry for causing you difficulties. Not for that I did though. Javana is here. She wants...closure. Would you like to speak with her?" she rubbed her temple. Having a second mind slip inside your head, unsurprisingly, caused a bit of a headache.

It was about now that Zhaleh and Xilae burst in. "Who are you? What are you doing here?" one of the guards demanded in Xio.
Zhaleh looked confused. "Oh, we thought..." she said lamely.
"Peace, friend," Xilae said to the guard. "We felt a disturbance in the spirits."
"Yes, that," Zhaleh confirmed. "Well, Xilae felt it, but I guess...wait, you feel different," she glanced at Diona.

xxx

"She hasn't given you the speech about Pureblood perfection yet," Elpsis remarked. "We always keep her and Sio in separate rooms. Their combined ego could blow up the Arx."
"I'll remember that next time you want your toes to get attention," Nyssa grumbled. "Maybe I'll have a go at your mother if she wakes up. She'll be all confused and will have to establish her power again. A strong mate who sweeps her off her feet and smashes her enemies will be just what she needs." Anyhow, the remote fired colour-coded blaster bolts at Phylis and the Jedi deflected.
Elpsis nodded curtly. "Sure." Blocking bolts from a drone was simple enough.

Last edited:
Ximal gave her a sidelong glance. The question seemed genuine. She spread her hands, smiled.
"Just a metaphor. It's fine, I'm used to being yelled at. So if you want some moral support, I'll be there for you." She paused. "Sure...it'll be interesting."
Before she could though the others appeared.
"The Corporal is sort of possessed...but not in a bad way!" She frowned. Was there a good way to be possessed? "That is, a spirit has briefly joined her in her mind. She wants to pass on information or something."
Ximal looked to Diona. "Sure, bring Javana out. If nothing else it'll be a neat party trick!"

xxx

Phylis sighed once more. "Focus, please. There will be ample opportunity to 'get a room' later, hmmph."
The Jedi could be quite stern when she wanted to be.

As Elpsis started deflecting the bolts, it was indeed quite easy. It was only one remote after all, and more importantly for one attuned to the Force it was a matter of simply having the blade in the right place.
"Good. Use your steps more," she advised at one point. "Keep your guard higher to better move to all dangers," she said at another.

After a few moments she moved to another cabinet and activated two more of the remotes.
"One blaster is easy enough to deal with. Three is more a challenge, but not if you use this form. It provides you the agility and blade movements to deflect them."
She would set the remotes to move around, periodically aiming high, low and in between. A good test of Soresu's ability.

"A spirit has joined you?" Zhaleh exclaimed.
"Yes," Diona responded laconically, unsure of how to deal with such an exuberant reaction. "I'm alright."
"How does it feel like? Are there any more spirits out there?" the snow Qadiri asked a bit excitedly.
"Perhaps we should establish that the spirit is not a threat," Xilae interjected. "Why did she...'join' you?"
"She is a Qadiri. She was a slave here."
"I...see," the Xioquo male said slowly, a look of shame crossing his face. "I'm sorry for her loss. But spirits can be dangerous."

"I'm aware. Tephrike has many," Diona rubbed her temple. "I shall let her speak." She closed her eyes for a moment. Then they opened abruptly. "Hello?" it was her lips that moved, but the voice sounded different. Her body's movements were jerky, as if she had not stood or moved her limbs in ages...which was the case, since it was not her.

"I...am Javana Jai Akamal....you are Diona's companions?" she looked to Zhaleh first. "A Qadiri? I recognise your markings. You are of the Zaldrani. Maybe things have truly changed." Then Xilae caught her eye. "A male Xio dressed as a soldier, and Diona tells me you truly are one," her lips formed a smile, but then a look of worry crossed her face. "How much time has passed?"

xxx

Three remotes circled Elpsis, unleashing a spray of stun bolts. Elpsis' lightsabre moved swiftly, batting away bolts that streaked towards her in quick succession. Deflecting bolts was simple enough and she was quick when it came to positioning her blade.

However, there were three remotes and they were smart enough to try and dodge and hit her from multiple angles. Inevitably a bolt got through when she was distracted, then another. Elpsis buckled under the stunning effect, but grit her teeth and continued. More bolts rained down upon her, and she deflected aggressively. If she was hit, she powered through.

Ximal looked enthralled. "Incredible," she said softly. When 'Diona' turned to her she saw there was an almost glassy look on the human's face.
"It's been nearly ten years now," she said softly. "Much has changed, but I'm sure your family are still around."

As they talked though their discussions would soon be interrupted by the arrival of the guard with an important and grim looking Xio.
Ximal let out a little 'oh oh' and coughed. She stood up and to attention. "Commander."
"Seeker Vara'Ximal," she replied flatly. Her eyes fell on the others. "You are the visitors her Majesty mentioned? I am Commander Naul'Zixasa. Seeker Saie reported what happened and I was close by. Seeker Vara, you are dismissed. You will return to the barracks and we will discuss this matter later."
"Yes, Commander," the Xio said and hurried off.
Zixasa looked down a Diona/Javana. She spoke good basic with a clipped, flat accent. "Human, we should continue this discussion elsewhere. I understand you have a spirit in you. We should examine and discuss whether removal is a viable solution."

xxx

Phylis held up a hand and the drones paused their attack.
"Peace, Elpsis. Determination will get you far, but this form is far more effective when you continue to be measured, calm. Focus and grit can overcome the enemy, but it must be in conjunction with, hmm, mindfulness. Let's start again, I'll set them down a notch. Remember; movement, precision, balance."

She stepped behind Elpsis and gently moved her position back to guard. "Everything is about proportion. Now, let us continue."
The Jedi signaled the drones and they begun their attack pattern, longer gaps between shots this time. The aim was to get Elpsis to better use her body and blade to deflect.

Zixasa was tall and scarred, with piercing crimson eyes, short white hair and the build of a warrior. Her armour was stylised with arcane symbols and she wore a blue cloak. The spirit seemed agitated. "I will not...all I want is closure. To see them one last time..." There was a pause, as if there was an internal dialogue going on.

Then the glassy look was gone. "Commander. Corporal Diona...Jedi Knight," Diona bowed her head slightly. "I apologise for violating your rules. I'm prepared to shoulder the consequences. But I gave this spirit my word to host her until her quest is complete. She seeks closure with her family."

Zhaleh looked at Xilae. "She's the, uh, high mistress around here?" she asked quietly.
"Leader of the Banishers," he clarified. "Former slave, but fled and fought the oppressors from the catacombs till liberation." There was a note of respect for the stone-faced paladin in his tone.

xxx

"Determination keeps you alive," Elpsis countered. Some people drowned in pain. She swam in it. What measure was a body part if being inured to physical loss let you prevail? Still, she was here to learn, though she felt a stab of annoyance. She moved back into a guard position, gritting her teeth as she felt her flesh leg still being sluggish due to the stunning effect.

Once again, the drones attacked, circling her, though at a slower pace now. Elpsis' blade moved to block the shots. Her bladework was not graceful, but she used more motion now, sometimes side-stepping or bending her body to avoid

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom