Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Teaching Resilience (Elpsis)

Elpsis Kerrigan Elpsis Kerrigan

One of the sisters who came forward to clasp Elpsis' hand gave her a cheeky grin and said something in quick Xio.
Lalax, off to one side recording the Daughter's talents, frowned. She said something in a motherly scolding tone in Xio, after which she looked back to Elpsis.
"Zanoma'Ajul would like to offer you some charcoal and white dye if you wanted to fit in. She then jokes that you look like a match and..." Lalax coughed rather primly. "...that she'd like to 'strike your flame'. Whilst she is undoubtedly talented she is always ready with a joke."
Ajul merely grinned, showing off very white teeth. "Sister, yes?" she said in broken Basic to Elpsis.
Lalax meanwhile nodded. "I shall remain and ensure no evil comes whilst you are away. I swear it."

xxx

Phylis would laugh were the circumstances not so dire. The Jedi was trying - and failing - to process the gaggle of buzz-words the Eldorai was using.
"Hmm, yes, yes, so it would seem," Phylis replied vaguely when she was done.
Now she stretched out her senses she could feel much of what Diona was, though she had not the experience of dealing with deceptive people that the former Jedi had.
Finally, Mazar was the first to stop, though he looked around, as if unwilling to announce he was complete.
"Mazar, was it? You are complete?"
"Looking like a deer in the headlights, the Xio nodded meekly.
Phylis look the paper and scanned it. "Very good! Excellent recall, hmm. Correct identification of period and rough origin. Good work."
To say the male Xio looked relieved was an understatement!
One by one the three female Xio handed in their reports, all were very good at their fields. It almost made Phylis sorry she was not genuinely employing them for the role...though she might yet get the chance.
"I am very pleased with all of you," she said, ignoring the Eldorai. "Diona, a moment?" she said to the former Jedi, gesturing to the side. When they were alone she gave her what she hoped was a meaningful look. She was not good at spy stuff, and she wasn't sure what languages Diona knew to prevent them being overheard.

"Hmm, I think they have considerable skills, yes? Are there any you feel would not be a...good pick?" she asked as carefully as she could manage. Diona was clearly better at noticing things than she was!

xxx

Karou smirked. "I think we will, flayed one!" she replied flirtatiously.
"I will speak to Lalax if she is here, but I know of some who are stout women capable of being intelligent."
As they approached they saw Naxi'Xiarda, Karou paused. "That is one of the Seekers. What are they doing here?" she asked suspiciously. Clearly no love was lost there.

Their arrival with many crates, plus Nyssa's general bearing meant that they soon had the attention of many people at the poorhouse. Karou would start pointing out people she knew who might be useful to give weapons to.

xxx

A couple of the children started at her performance. Others though were more enthused. Ixzuma especially looked excited.
"How did you fight the beast?" she asked.
"It can't be that big can it?" Squiddy asked sceptically.
"They can," Xilae added. "In the outside there are big creatures, some many times my size!"
To the kids who were used to the smaller creatures of the Underealm or the stories of sea creatures which occasionally washed up, it seemed another frightening warning of the big outside.
"How do you hide with the big lights in the sky?" Maz asked, absorbed in the tale.

Phylis Alince Phylis Alince

Perhaps proving that she wasn't the sharpest crayon in the box, Elpsis blinked. She needed a moment to understand the joke and the innuendo behind it, then laughed and nodded to Ajul. "Sis-ter," she repeated in bad Xio before switching to Basic. "If you think you can handle the fire," she responded, giving the Daughter a wink.

Then she abruptly pulled Lalax into a hug. The Xio priestess would feel a portion of the heat that permeated Elpsis' body. Then she would feel it even more intimidately when Elpsis planted a sweet kiss on her cheek. "Stay safe. I'm gonna leave Zhaleh with you. She's dependable," she frowned. "Oh, almost forgot...that annoying cow who handles Siobhan's money is going to come by tomorrow. She's got cash with her. Take it...don't tell her anything about what we're doing."

Hazani cleared her throat. "I stand ready, ma'am. We must determine command structure and divide the Daughters'...fighters and our own into groups. Neither you nor I speak Xio, and few of the Xio can converse in Xio or Basic," she pointed out reasonably.

xxx

Diona had to remind herself that she was not in the Windian Jedi Order anymore. This galaxy Jedi did things differently, though she could tell that Phylis was inexperienced in subterfuge. But the Tephriki knight could make do. "They've shown promise," she said neutrally. "Zara's very focused, Quitaz is anxious...but fundamentally a decent worker. Mazar's...dedicated. Likely to subordinate his potential to that of the other interpreters to avoid rocking the boat. That may improve in time. I don't think Arza has the mentality you're looking for. Not enough of a teamplayer." She hoped the Jedi Master would get the hint.

xxx

"Good," Nyssa purred. Her hand travelled down a bit further to rest upon Karou's backside, giving it a firm squeeze. It didn't take long until they got the attention of various Xioquo who had congregated around the poorhouse.

Just as Nyssa wanted to get matters organised, she caught sight of the Xio paladin. "Being prissy?" she responded to Karou sarcastically. Nyssa gave her a wave. "Nice to see you too, Seeker. Did they let you out of your cloister?"
Naxi'Xiarda's expression was grave and humourless when she marched over. She gave an exasperated sigh. "I'm here to do my duty to my people," the knight said flatly. Into the land of heathens I go, spirits preserve me. "Why are you here, darkfiend?"
"You mean in general? To grace the world with my perfection. Here specifically? Well, Red promised me a good fight, and these folks here needed guns, so..."
"They must be vetted carefully. I won't have the situation in the streets get inflamed while devil-machines abound. The Seekers will make a careful registry."
Nysssa shrugged. "Register away, you lot can take it up with the priestess."

It was then that a new figure emerged from the poorhouse. The Xio female was scarred and kitted out for battle. Having caught the tail-end of the dialogue between the Flayed One and the Seeker, she narrowed her eyes. "We congregate to do battle with the oppressors, not bicker. The faithful and disciplined shall be armed, the foolish weeded out. Flayed One, your bravery is desired, your arrogance is not," she said sternly. "Seeker, the Flayed One has done nothing to harm us. Add your strength to ours so we smite the unclea together." However, upon seeing Karou Xalda smiled slightly. "Sister Karou, I greet you," she said exuberantly, pulling the other Karrigan into a hug and planting a kiss on each cheek.

xxx

"Xilae speak true," Zhaleh affirmed, "many big creatures...but also beautiful ones." She glanced at Maz. "You wear clothes that make you one with land. Wear white, like snow. Hide scent from predator. Stick to shadow, big lights not everywhere. I slay bear with spear." An idea came to her, and she grinned. "Xilae, you play bear?"

Last edited:

Lalax translated Elpsis' words reluctantly. She did not need to translate Ajul's reply, as she kissed two fingers and touched them to the human's chest, then turned away.
"She is a little bit of a..." Lalax began before being unexpectedly hugged! As much as it was possible for the Xio to blush, she did. "Oh...yes...that...will be acceptable," she said in a bit of a daze, looking bashful.
"The annoying...cow?" Lalax asked, regaining her wits slightly. If elaborated she would nod. "Ah, one of the blood-eyes. I will ensure so, I swear it," she added piously.

Hazani's statement was reasonable. "I will note which of your sisters can speak the Basic tongue," Lalax added, making a note on the roster before handing it over.

xxx

Phylis listened to Diona's words and nodded slowly in agreement.
"Hmm, I hadn't noticed..." she began. Then she realised that Diona was probably trying to communicate something to her. The Jedi squinted just a little at the former Jedi and then nodded slowly.
"I...see, hmm. I think that is fair," she added.
The Jedi knew she was not cut out for this sort of spy work, but she believed she got the meaning now.

Turning she walked back to the group. "So, hmm, we have considered matters closely and made our decision. We would like to acquire the services of Zara, Quitaz and Mazar immediately. I'm sorry, Arza, the project I have won't need your particular skills."
The response was very curious. Diona would see the three chosen Xio show variations on cautious optimism. However Arza would demonstrate for a moment a curious lack of reaction."
Kearis though frowned slightly. "Are you certain, Mistress Jedi? I can request an expedient financial inter-lever to adjust cash-flow conditions!" In other words, a discount.
Arza seemed to come to life at this moment and composed her face. "I will not let you down, please give me a chance!"
Phylis frowned slightly. She sincerely hoped Diona was right...but Phylis had no idea for an alternative. She shook her head. "No, thank you. I wish to take these three to my ship and then to my facility on the Arx."
The Eldorai could see that the Jedi was firm and finally nodded slowly. Not much could be seen on her face, but the slight narrowing of her eyes would be noticeable to Diona...and vindicate her decision.

xxx

Karou returned the kisses and the embrace. "Sister Xalda, I didn't know you were here, it is good to see you!"
She looked between the gathered group. The Seekers she knew only with disdain as the Queen's snooty bodyguards whose main function seemed to look down on the Daughters. Or so she believed anyway. Besides, she was using unfriendly words towards the Flayed One who actually wasn't as bad as some people thought!

Still, Karou didn't want to get involved in an argument. Instead she looked to Xalda. "Let us distributed these weapons, Sister. Only the best warriors."

xxx

Xilae smiled slightly, standing up from where he was leaning against the wall. He wasn't so self-serious that he couldn't have some fun. So he stepped forward, spreading out his arms and lumbering forward. It looked more like an ape or sloth than a bear, but the kids would not know any different!
He gave a mock roar and swiped the air with his 'paw'.
"Look out, snow!" Feather cried excitedly.
"Big bear is scary," Squiddy added with a laugh.

One wondered Lalax could write in Braille. Probably. Regardless, Hazani would be there to review any list and read it out to Elpsis. Hazani's statement was reasonable. "I will note which of your sisters can speak the Basic tongue," Lalax added, making a note on the roster before handing it over. "Alright, Karou, you'll take one group, I'll take another with Xalda. Hazani, you go with Karou as her...advisor. You know how Firemane operates, and you're familiar with their security protocols."
Hazani frowned ever so slightly. "That seems reasonable," she said after a moment.
"Karou, I leave dividing the Daughters to you. Make sure each is balanced, and people who can speak Basic are spread out evenly."

xxx

It was only a fleeting moment, but Diona did not miss the tells playing out on the Eldorai's smooth, porcelain features. She left the task of exchanging pleasantries with the marketing drone to Phylis. Her attention was all on the three interpreters. Zara, Quitaz and Mazar. Of those three, Zara seemed the most composed. "We're leaving forthwith. If you have any belongings you need to pack, do so now," Diona said commandingly.

xxx

"I have heard tales of metal spirits with the faces of women prowling the streets, and of slavers preying upon the desperate. Is there truth to this?" Xalda asked as they made their away onward. "They say the Offspring rallies for battle. Is there truth to this?"

xxx

Zhaleh had to restrain herself to keep herself from laughing out aloud. Nonetheless, Xilae made a rather adorable bear. She made a show of ducking quickly to avoid the fierce blow of his 'paw'. She dodged another strike, but then stumbled and tripped, and he swiped her with his claw.

The snow Qadiri backed away, breaking into a rather theatrical leap and then a roll. Far too dramatic to be something she would actually try on a real hunt. However, there was little room to manoeuvre and 'bear' loomed over her menacingly, roaring loudly. "Kashara, aid me!" Zhaleh cried out dramatically, and surged forward in a low crouch, thrusting an imaginary spear towards the bear's leg.

The Daughters would divide into the groups. Some gave Hazani looks, mostly curious, a few more hostile. None said anything to her, though a couple might share words between themselves.

Kalou meanwhile nodded. "It shall be as you command, Sister," she said with a nod. Turning to her assembled sistren she gave a series of quick orders in Xio. Turning back to Hazani she said, "The mission takes priority over any personal animosities anyone might have. My sisters will let your actions be the judge, I trust you will do the same for us."

As they moved out towards Elpsis' ship Kalou looked at Hazani. "You have of course been from this world. I have only rarely, and most of my sisters never. Do not judge them too harshly if they ask questions or react in a way you feel foolish, I bid you. We were all new to this once."

xxx

Phylis provided payment details for the Xio's services and then shepherded them back to the ship. As they entered Six-Nine was waiting and beeped excitedly. Noting the reaction of the Xio, the Jedi spoke reassuringly.

"It's hmm, just my machine. He is friendly and helpful," she said, eyeing the droid who beeped innocently. "Very friendly and helpful," she added sternly.

"Hmmph, anyway. So, my friends, I have engaged your services, but in truth I should have been more upfront with what I wanted from you." Perhaps realising that this might be misconstrued, she raised a hand. "No, no, hmmph. I had heard that New Horizons had been tricking Xio into working, and indeed had been treating them as slaves. This I cannot abide, but I needed proof. So, my hope is that you will be able to shed light on this matter."

As she waited for them to reply she ordered Six-Nine to provide water, and then directed them to seats in the projector room.

However, someone had obviously sensed Diona's return, and Nibbles ran over to her and attempted to climb up her leg to see his friend!

xxx

Karou nodded. "It is so. We've heard that the metal demons are about and they might be working with the slavers, maybe not. Either way, we have just distributed weapons here in case there is danger."

She glanced at Nyssa, not sure how the Flayed One would react to Xalda.

xxx

The children watched the performance with a mix of amusement and shock. When Zhaleh 'fell', Feather stood up as if to rush towards her, but stopped when she saw it was part of the game.

For his part, Xilae gave a pretty good impersonation of a roar once he was 'stabbed' in the leg. Stumbling back, he swiped his paw at Zhaleh again, opening him to the final stab from the imaginary spear.

Hazani momentarily looked surprised at the heathen's words, then nodded curtly. "I shall do my part if your...Sisters do yours. 'Tis not what I would have chosen, but Kashara has put me to the test," she stated seriously.

Her golden eyes darted across the Daughters as they marched. Xioquo had a longer life span than Qadiri, but she figured they were all young by the standards of their people. About her own age. But as the warriors gossiped, shared stories or otherwise tried to steel themselves for the coming peril, she could not help feel reminded of life among the Sistren.

It made her wistful. "The journey through the void will take a few hours. If there are questions...I shall try to answer," she said after a moment. "Arkas is not as hot as the Amikarese deserts, but close enough. Its islands are covered by jungles." Their path would ultimately lead them to the poorhouse, where the rest of the crew were waiting.

xxx

"New Horizons has...given us opportunities, Mistress Jedi," Mazar said very carefully. He didn't dare meet Phylis' eyes though,
"They give us texts, we translate," Zara said stoically. There was a hint of a challenge in her flat eyes. "What's it to you?"
"Many people may be in danger," Diona pointed out, meeting her gaze.
"You don't know what it's like here."

Diona took a step towards her, then another. "I do, in fact. Not here specifically, I admit. But where I come from, you must watch your every word, watch who you confide in...because if you make a single misstep, evil men and women will come and take you away to a horrible place. Should you return, you won't know yourself anymore. But the key thing is...those evil people wouldn't be anything without the masses. The ordinary people who denounce their fellows because they're afraid, they believe or hope to profit. And the ordinary people who look away."
"Your point, human?"

"We look away," as she spoke Diona's eyes darted towards Mazar, who was looking at her shoes, "we're as complicit as the perpetrators." Her intense blue eyes settled on the last interpreter. For a moment, there was silence. One might as well have heard a pin drop. "Sometimes...people just...vanish," Mazar began, nervously wringing her hands.

xxx

Xalda looked disapprovingly at Nyssa. "The Flayed One is arrogant and too boisterous," she said primly.
"Jealous? Nothing wrong with boasting of your victories...when you have them," Nyssa replied tartly with a laugh. "Anyway, Karou and me brought all these guns, so someone might as well get something out of them."

By now their little distribution operation had attracted plenty of attention. "Sister Xalda, has the Heir called us to arms!" a tough looking Xio female called out. "And not a moment too soon. You know of my skill in battle. I volunteer to serve. The metal demons could be anywhere. We must interrogate all strangers," at that the Daughter shot the Seekers a contemptuous, hate-filled glare, "anyone who is foreign."

"No," Xalda responded after a moment.
"What? We endured the mistress' horrors together. You think you're better than me now because you have walked under the burning sky?"
"I am no better than anyone who has suffered under the mistress' whip, Sister Xipalli. Your body is strong, but your will tainted."

xxx

Zhaleh had to suppress a giggle when Xilae roared. Still, it wasn't a bad impersonation, and the kids were enjoying it. The Zaldrani ducked under his swipe, and surged forward, thrusting her imaginary spear towards his chest. As he fell, having been successfully 'slain', she approached his prone form. She made a show of pulling out the nonexistent spear, and folded both her hands on top of his chest.

Then she began to chant. It was too awkward for her to say the prayer in Xio. It would come out mangled and all wrong. But though the children would not understand the words, they could enjoy the song. Perhaps Xilae could translate later.

"Thank you majestic one for the honourable hunt.
My family and friend shall your sacrifice by feeding from your meat and being warmed by your pelt.
The memory of your last day will forever be part of me.
May your spirit be embraced by the Snow Mother, knowing you have served your purpose, fulfilled your destiny.
Thank you, oh Mother, for sharing your incredible bounty and creatures.
Grant me always wisdom and respect in the pursuit and keep me humble in the moment of victory.
Please embrace this animal's spirit.
Please bless this gift of meat and fur for my family and friends.
Please keep this memory with me forever so every time I remember this hunt, this animal is honoured."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom