Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Teaching Resilience (Elpsis)

Elpsis Kerrigan Elpsis Kerrigan
"Yes, she and Vari are some of the more relatable Eldorai for my mind. Hmm, the ones who got out early." She seemed to be thinking about some other Eldorai she knew, like a certain sister pair. She wondered what had happened to Kaida and her sister.
"Though the Queen is nice enough, known her a long time, before she was Queen. Hmm."

Her musings were interrupted by Elpsis' words. "Oh, Nyssa's going to be like that, is she?" she said with a sigh. Still, it was worth a try.

"I read some of the reports sent through about what happened on Tephrike. Ghastly stuff. The end result of a product of Jedi absolutism though. The seizing of control was once, perhaps, understandable, but now they cloak their actions in righteousness which it does not deserve." She frowned. "Hmmph, though at least they had 400 years of isolation to drift to that error, unlike the Ashlan Crusaders who came to a similar error without that."

"Tephrike seems a grim place, and I'm glad you survived, though I read the reports about what happened to you. I'm sorry that those who use our name behaved so frightfully towards you." A pause. "Though there's not many moderate Jedi around anymore. They seem to swing from relentless crusader to intemperate pacifist with little in the middle. I guess holding the middle ground is hard."

Phylis Alince Phylis Alince

Elpsis snorted. What she'd heard about the Ashlan Crusade set her teeth on edge. It would be nice if the Sith and the Ashlanites just killed each other. "Don't you ever get tired calling yourself a Jedi when all the others suck?" Elpsis asked rhetorically, while she put on her uniform jacket. "I'll return to Tephrike. Not a for while...but I will. I have no expectation of making a big difference, but I have to."

She sighed. "One of the Jedi who locked me up later helped me escape. Diona. Joined my unit. She's going to show in Tlaxqui. Think the Xio on my team's showing her around."

Last edited:
"Hmmph, not at all. I know what I am even if the term is used in vain by others. There have been times when I have considered dropping it, but no. I am what i am despite everything else."

"When you return I know it'll be dangerous so, hmm, if there's anything I can do to help let me know."

"Diona, hmm? Sounds good. I would be interested to meet her...if she is amenable to that."

"I am seeing the Queen early tomorrow, but after that I'm free all day. I'm in no great rush so I can stay longer if needed."

"Think she'd be. She's, uh, curious about galaxy Jedi. Disappointed and confused though. It's why she wants to talk to the Seekers." It was in contrast to Rhea, who, similar to Elpsis, wanted nothing to do with Jedi philosophies. She'd joined the Windian Jedi because there'd been no other choice, and then been abused by her master. Diona had been born into it. She'd been hurt, but she'd been among family.

"Works. I get to see her, too. Never really met her before. Just saw her at the big-arse summit." She frowned. "How stuffy's the court?" Elpsis still didn't know which fork to use and had no intention of learning.

Last edited:
"I do not blame her. I feel for the Tephriki and the Tygarans. They felt that when the space people arrived they'd be, hmm, wise bringers of knowledge and wisdom. Instead it's just the same sorts of people, but with more technology. Disappointing doesn't even cover it."

"The Xio have no tradition of Queenhood...not in the normal sense anyway. She wanted to be just a Lady Protector or similar, but was persuaded that the royal title would carry more heft. Though she accepted that she has ensured the ceremonies and rites are kept to a minimum. There's no reciting of titles, elaborate rituals or need to prostrate yourself. Hmmph, not like Semiramis. Can you believe she tried to get me to kneel before her? I told her family that a Jedi did not kneel to anyone, but I bowed as I do to all beings."
Phylis seemed unusually irritated by the audacity of the request.

"Hmm, may I see your lightsabre as well? I sense that has a similar power behind it."

"People with too much power will always be dicks, no matter what. Having fancy toys just helps them do it. The Unchained figured out fast Firemane just rescued them by accident. They're not getting the aid packages Firemane rains down on Mirzas who suck on its teats, but they're building their own future. I like having Shikoba and Hazani around because they're not awed by their Firemane 'saviours' at all."

There might have been a slight trace of bitterness in Elpsis' tone. She gave Phylis a nod when the Jedi talked about Lia. "Good to know the Xio's queen's not big on pomp. I talked to Semiramis once. Thought she was a pompous cow then and looks like I was right." One could not accuse Elpsis of mincing words.

"My lightsabre? Sure." She unclipped the weapon from her belt and passed it over. It had crossguards, but of a slightly unorthodox design. "Made that one myself, with some help. The main focusing crystal's a Krayt Dragon Pearl. Laira and me killed a krayt on Terax way back." There was a flicker of something on her face. Those had been simpler, more innocent times.

Laira had failed her on Tephrike, but Elpsis had also been unfair to her. She liked to think they had patched things up the last time they had met. She hoped the Jedi was doing alright. "The secondary's a Dantari. The weapon's imbued. Helpful if there's dark spirits that need putting down."

Last edited:
"Though perhaps not in the same words, I agree with you. Unmitigated power leads only to unmitigated tyranny. Firemane in its own way is in danger of falling into that trap. It left the Republic and Coalition as they decayed but has now become a beast of its own. And now with Siobhan out of the picture for a while ambitions start to stir. I'm, hmm, no expert on the board members, but I can tell they don't have one collective vision other than growth, power and wealth. How and where to get that...uncertain."

"One must always question. I learned the hard way that accepting blindly the wisdom of present or past leads to harm later. But do you, hmm, not have ambitions to take the company's reigns yourself and direct it? I'm not sure how much of a leader you'd be of the financial or political side, but you certainly have views on how it would be better run I'm sure."

She took up the lightsabre and ignited it. The burning orange radiance filled the room. Phylis examined it closely. "Excellent work. I can feel its power, the energy within. Magnificent work."
She deactivated it and handed it back.
"Mine is similarly attuned, though I used a Solari in mine to get a similar effect against spirits...since I seem to be fighting them more than I imagined I would."
She offered hers in exchange. It would be a fairly conventional green bladed lightsabre, but it fairly glowed in the Force with the power of the Light.

"No," Elpsis said immediately. Her tone was more than a little brusque. She looked apologetic. "Bet the Daughters would love it, but no," she repeated in a calmer tone. "I don't want it. I'd end up like Sio or Tegs or the plutocrats running the show now. Greedy, ego-obsessed, living in some dumb-arse palace. You lose sight of what matters when you're sitting on a throne, surrounded by sycophants. Wealth and power just corrupt."

The scorn in her tone was unmistakeable. She sighed. "'sides, I'd suck at it anyway. I wanna actually help people - shoot bad guys, protect innocent people. I'm a fighter, not someone who sits in meetings reading about profit margins. By the way, looks like all of the family's money's mine while mother's outta commission, and we've got a shitton of villas just to show off, so I'm turning some of that crap into something more socially useful. Starting with a luxury apartment block on the Arx. It's gonna become a hospital for veterans."

She took the proffered lightsabre, and ignited it. The burning blade cast her face in green light. She gave the weapon an experimental twirl, getting a feeling for it, then switched it off and examined the hilt. "It's a good weapon. What's your form?" she handed the lightsabre back.

Phylis listened, and then finally nodded. "It is often said the best person for the job is not the one who wants it. Hmm, slightly flawed premise but I get the sentiment. It sounds like you know your heart though, and that's good, very good. I am glad you are making use of the money in ways that people can benefit. The Jedi of past and present eras have often been bad at this. The old Coruscant temple in the days of the Old Republic was worth more than whole planets. So I may be hypocritical to say that I approve of what you're doing, but I will say it anyway."

She took the sabre back. "Soresu is my main, also known as the Resilience Form, or Form III. I have some skills in it," she said modestly. Considering she was one of the most proficient in the whole galaxy with that form it was a bit of an understatement.
"I'm also trained in Forms I and VI, though less so. I'm not a very offensive duelist but I can open up as needed. How about you?"

"Coruscant gets attacked every couple months, so I figure the temple's property value's declined a ton. Wouldn't be surprised if the area around it turns into a no man's land 'cause no one wants to set up shop near a place that cursed," Elpsis commented half-seriously. She was, as of now, unaware that the Jedi Temple had been literally built on top of a dark side nexus.

At Phylis' question she frowned. "Ran away from the Jedi before I got to do anything more than get zapped by a remote. Picked up some training by hitting things with a sabre and learning not to burn my hands. Nyssa and Tempest taught me some stuff when I joined up. Enough for some basic I and III. When I'm battle, I mostly use the Force or guns, but since half my limbs are metal I might as well use a glowstick more."

"Hmmph, well there was a time where the Temple went centuries without being sacked. Now it seems like Bastion where it happens every other week. That's why I organised to get a copy of the full archives out before the One Sith rolled in. I can't imagine there's much left...."

"Hmm, it's funny you mention that actually. I had the opportunity once to descend to the very depths of the Temple pediment and found that there was some interesting back story. Now Coruscant has been through the ringer too, but I found evidence down there that the Temple was constructed on that spot for the sole purpose of covering an existing anomaly. I could not find out what it was however...."

"If you were interested I'm always willing to help if you wanted some instruction. Form III is not the most glamorous of them, but it's better than any at keeping yourself alive and is especially good against enemies with blasters or lightsabres. Hmm, not tonight obviously, but if you're interested we can take a look tomorrow after the meeting."

It was probably for the best that Elpsis didn't know that shortly after the battle of Coruscant, the head archivist of the New New New Jedi Order had unilaterally decided to leak the Jedi archives to the HoloNet. Then again, the Temple and various Jedi libraries had been sacked so many times that it was doubtful anyone would be able to leak something truly sensitive even if they tried.

Elpsis thought for a moment, then nodded. "Sure, I'd be down. Thanks. Should have time after all the chatter." She strapped her lightsabre back to her belt. "Should probably get going. Before my crew gets into trouble or something," she said half-jokingly.

Last edited:
It was for the best that Phylis did not receive this news either. It would certainly drive her to distraction...even more than usual!

"Excellent! It will be a good workout after my interview with you. I would also like to go ahead and study your elemental force use too. Hmmph, certain Jedi and others claim there is no circumstance where lightning can be anything other than a Dark Side power. I know this to be false having met Eldorai and Qadiri who have used it whilst remaining in the Light. It is my desire to, if possible, learn an elemental skill. In theory anyone should be able to, but may be more predisposed towards one rather than another. You with fire for instance."

"But yes, don't let me keep you with my yammering. I'll see you tomorrow. Take care," she said, heading to the door and opening it.

"I know some aeromancers if you want pointers. Lightsabres kill too and Jedi use them all the time." All the talking was making Elpsis' sensitive throat a bit sore. "There's a Miraluka on one of my squads who'd probably love to yap your ears off about ancient history, the Force and stuff," she remarked dryly. Nydris Saal had some interesting theories about the cycle of destruction that permeated the galaxy. "Anyway, I'll get going. Good night." And with that she headed out.

Last edited:
"I would love to meet her. She sounds both surprising and interesting. Thank you, Elpsis, I appreciate you indulging my curiosity."

As Elpsis would head out into the corridor she'd become aware of a Xio maid who was vacuuming the floor. If Elpsis could see her expression it'd be weirdly one of smug amusement.
The concierge and receptionist likewise could be heard whispering something as she exited.

Meanwhile back in her room Phylis settled in to sleep. She could sleep practically anywhere but having a nice bed never hurt! Before she slipped off she consulted a datapad with information for the morrow. Elpsis' arrival was unexpected but beneficial.

Elpsis could not see facial expressions, but she was quite good at reading emotions. She gave the presumably cute maiden a wink, and walked on, ignoring the quiet gossiping of the concierge and receptionist. Outside life in Tlaxqui continued. Elpsis had never been to the city before, so she could not easily make comparisons between then and now. She could not tell the difference between the old-fashioned gas lamps and the electric lights that had replaced them. However, she could discern the emotions the city was awash with.

There was still pain - a lot of it. But it was no longer raw. Some of the scars might never fade. Not everyone would receive justice. But it was a start. And there was no naked fear. Laughter and music could be heard coming from an establishment that she assumed was a pub. People were congregating freely in the streets.

Firemane had some good, though out of ulterior motives rather than altruism. She garnered her share of looks on the way, but was unhindered. After some asking around, she approached the gates of the Seeker outpost. The 7th Station of the Seeker loomed ahead of her. Outwardly it was a fairly plain, multi-storey building cute into the rock of the covern walls.

Two paladins stood guard. Both were female, and clad in armour, with a Force-Imbued Blade at their side. They looked at her warily when Elpsis approached them. "Elpsis Kerrigan. Looking for Naxi'Xiarda. My team's bunked here."
There was some chatter between the two knights, and Elpsis once again cursed the fact that her Xio was poor. Then one of them addressed her in accented Basic. "I shall fetch the paladin. You wait here." That left Elpsis with the other guard.
"You are the daughter of the one they call the Karishzar," the Xio knight spoke, looking at her.
"Yeah...but please don't start with all the Queen Kerrigan worship," Elpsis said dryly.
"It is not the way of the Seekers to worship persons or idols."
"Then the Seekers and I will get along just fine."

Then the other knight returned with Xiarda in tow. "Lieutenant Kerrigan may pass," the senior paladin said, and the guards waved her through. "Follow. I shall lead you to your quarters. Two more of your companions have turned up. A human and a Xioquo."
"Think I know who you mean. Any trouble?"
"The Flayed One is arrogant. I have half a mind to challenge her to a duel."
"Do it. Smack her around a bit."
Xiarda gave her a look. "The Dark One is your friend, is she not?"
"She is. I get you don't trust her, but she is. A good one. Doesn't mean she can't be an arse sometimes. Best way to get her to respect you if she is to punch her. She doesn't hold a grudge if she loses." Indeed, Nyssa didn't seem to particularly care. Elpsis was half-convinced that Nyssa was only really interested in women who could kick her butt.
"I shall keep this in mind. The Light does not worship violence for its own sake, but recognises its necessity sometimes."

Elpsis was about to make a sarcastic remark about how dumb Jedi conclaves, but then she ran into two familiar figures. "See you two found your own way here. Fun trip?"
"It was interesting, ma'am," Diona answered in her slightly accented Basic. "Nazar'Xilae showed me around."
"A surreal tour. Every third landmark was 'and this horrible atrocity happend here'," the Xio chimed in. "Much has changed - for the better. I was surprised."
"But?"
"Several old palaces still stand. Mistresses hold court."
"The Queen had to make a choice to heal the nation," Xiarda said primly.
"Sometimes you need to cut out the sick flesh." Xilae shrugged. "I'm curious how the election will turn out. One of my friends is running. Bloody madman. So is his former mistress."
"As a Banisher of the Night on duty, I cannot comment on the worthiness of one candidate over the other. But I trust the Xioquo people will repudiate those who brought them pain and misery."
"Amen to that," Elpsis remarked.
"It has been...illuminating to see your people emerge from the darkness," Diona said thoughtfully. There was a flicker of something on her face. Perhaps for a moment she wondered whether the Dominion could change similarly. Then her face was a stoic mask again. "I would train with your Seekers if that is allowed. I would like to learn more of your ways."
"It is allowed. We are eager to learn from adepts of the Light, if they treat us as equals."
"I am not sure I would myself an adept of the Light."
"You are a Jedi, are you not?"
"A bad one, from an order of even worse ones. Our philosophy is only worthwhile as a cautionary tale. But what I know of combat and tactics, I will gladly share."

Last edited:
Day and night were...tricky...in the Underealm. Certainly they existed, but did so hidden from the inhabitants. So instead, like in space, time was measured artificially, and by an agreed cycle. Lamps were brightened during the 'day', and dimmed at night. It was artificial, but it did the job.
Phylis awoke early the next morning. She had a few hours before she needed to be at the palace so she meditated, she read her notes, she checked her lightsabre. She was unlikely to need the latter to defend herself, and would be using training blades for teaching Elpsis, but it never hurt to be prepared.

When she was ready she donned her robes and headed out and downstairs. A doorwoman opened the entrance for her.
"Good of morning, Mistress of Jedai," they said in rather broken Basic.
"Good morning, Light's blessing upon you," Phylis replied in Xio. It was a little rusty, and not as good as her Zandri, but it was comprehensible...and better than the Xio's Basic!
This got her a broad smile and a bow.

Heading out of the hotel she retraced her steps across the city to the loading docks. It was quiet in the streets mostly, but got busier as she neared the elevators to the docks.
Swiftly she ascended back, returning to her ship. A hopeful beep greeted her as she entered.
"No, not yet, Six-Nine. We might be here a couple of days more. I just came to get a few things and feed Nibbles and Emerald."
The droid was clearly not happy about this but continued doing...whatever it did.
Phylis went to her store room and poured out extra food and water for her pets, as well as collecting a pair of training lightsabres and some materials she might need.
"I'll keep in touch, take care," she called as she headed out. A sullen beep was the only reply.

It was as Phylis was descending down the elevators and exiting back to the docks that a familiar face approached. Naxi'Xiarda seemed to be waiting for her, but it might have just been coincidence.
"Good morning, Phylis," she said with a small bow.
"Hmmph. come to make sure I wasn't trying to escape?" Phylis asked with a raised eyebrow.
"Of course not, but you are quire distinctive. When one of the Wardens mentioned that a 'Pale Jedai' was at the docks I thought I'd find you here."
"Well, hmm, now you've found me. Shall we get breakfast?"
"I know a place near the palace."

The two headed to an eatery carved into one of the cavern walls, up a few flights of stairs. Phylis noticed that the looks they got were mostly curious but there was some hostility there too. To her or the Seeker?
As they got their meals Xiarda leaned forward. "I understand you are skilled in the arts of forging, and of imbuement of the Force into items."
"I have some skills with that, yes. I am able to put the energies of the Light into an item. You might sense my robes and my lightsabre, but otherwise it can be in practically anything. Hmm, are you interested in learning?"
"Very much."
"Then I shall be happy to teach you! Hmm, better send Elpsis a quick message so she can find us before the meeting. Who are you sending to escort her?"
"Ximal, she has good Basic skills."
Phylis, who had no idea how amusing this would be, nodded. "Good choice, she seemed a dedicated Seeker."
An indecipherable look crossed Xiarda's face. "She is certainly dedicated," she said cryptically, and turned to her breakfast.

Though Nyssa offered, Elpsis spent the night alone in her bed. The opposite would've been incredibly unprofessional...considering they were not alone in the room. Especially when one considered that Elpsis could get noisy. Regardless, night and daywere difficult to distinguish on Tlaxqui, but Elpsis was on an early riser.
Her teammates were similarly inclined. "Alright, people, let's get started. We'll meet up Xilae, then I gotta chat with the Resident and the Queen and we're going to meet some Seekers and Daughters. Don't worry, you won't be dragged into the meetings. But there'll cross-training."
"So we get to sightsee and test ourselves and you must face politics, ma'am," Zhaleh remarked innocently.
"Laugh it up, Zhaleh."
"I believe the Lieutenant has already earmarked you for the next diplomatic trip - to the nomads of Dune Seas. Better stock up on sunscreen, little Bear," Nyssa added, causing the ice Qadiri to look aghast at this horrible prospect.

"By the way, Jedi Alince will be staying here for a while, too. She's working on a book or something about elemental Force use, so if any of you want to contribute to that, you're welcome, but don't feel pressured. She knows some stuff that could be useful for you though. Nyssa, she'd be interested in talking shop about alchemy."
Nyssa smirked. "I'll give her the goriest of rituals which must be performed with the blood of virgins whilst chanting prayers to the Great God Typhojem. It's what she'd expect."
Elpsis sighed. "Don't be difficult, she's actually interested."
"Fine, fine, I'll have a chat with her, but I'm not sharing any trade secrets with her. You want those, you earn them through struggle, if you dare."

Diona gave the Pureblood a disapproving look. There is nothing a Jedi has to learn of Sith arts, other than to destroy them, she thought grimly. "I have heard of this Jedi Alince. I would like to talk to her. Most of the Jedi I have encountered in the galaxy are feeble pacifists, or they are fanatics of slaughter. Perhaps she is one who is more like what the forbidden texts said the ancient Jedi were like."
"Good. Hearing about the Dominion was...not as big a shock for her as it could've been since the galaxy Jedi are varying degrees of chit," Elpsis replied.
"The only Jedai I know of is Laira. She was kind, if a bit reckless," Zhaleh said thoughtfully.
"You mean she lived in a fairy tale land," Nyssa opined harshly.

"I would learn more about the new power brokers that hold sway in Tlaxqui now and their followers" Hazani spoke. "If this Jedai has useful techniques to teach, I shall indulge her."
"That's fine," Elpsis glanced at Nyssa and Zhaleh. "And Laira had her faults, but she tried to do the right thing. She was brave. Hazani, a word?" The Qadiri nodded - not that there was much of an option. Of course, there was not much privacy in the room, but the other three went off to get washed.
"Ma'am," Hazani said.
"I get it - there's ugly history between Qadiri and Xio."
"It is not history. I lived through it," the Qadiri fire mage countered.
"You fought them, you saw them kill your friends. You're smart and we don't live in a dumb fairy tale, so I'm not gonna say some pithy crap about how you should forgive and forget or that you're all in this together. Words don't wipe away blood. That said, you're with Firemane, so are your people. The war's over."
"If you're asking me wether I'll be so brazen to cause an incident, the answer's no, ma'am. You're not the only one who's being sent here for political reasons."
"Your point being?"
"My mother fought Firemane - successfully. Until she was betrayed. I became your mother's hostage. My mother was notorious among the Xio for smiting their beasts and sorceresses. So one of Firemane's mistresses imagined it would look good if her daughter shakes hands with their Xio vassals. It all fits Firemane's hagiography of having brought 'peace' and 'enlightenment' to the natives."
That...made sense. "We're both their pawns," Elpsis shrugged. "How we shape that is up to us. I doubt most Xio see it any differently than you."
"I know how to break bread with people I detest. I attend festivals of amity with Qadiri nobles who broke faith with my mother, but were smart enough not to be brazen about it, because duty requires it."
"Good. You're a good soldier, Hazani. Let's get a move on."

Last edited:
Having sent the message to Elpsis about where they would be, Phylis finished her breakfast with Xiarda. The Xio was very interested in learning everything she could, that was clear, and the Jedi promised that later she would teach her what she knew.

Meanwhile at the barracks there was a knock on the door to the shared room where Elpsis and her soldiers were staying. When the door opened another Seeker was standing there. She spoke almost perfect Basic.
"I am here to escort the Firemane delegates to Her Majesty," she said with a small bow. Then she caught sight of Elpsis. There was an awkward moment, broken by the Seeker smiling.
"Good morning, Mistress Inc...Kerrigan, welcome to Tlaxqui. My name is Vara'Ximal, and I have been tasked with directing you to the palace for your appointment with the Queen."
She spoke confidently, and others might not even notice her slip up. Or at the least might not recognise what it meant.

A pair of other Seekers were waiting outside politely to act as an honour guard.

The door was opened, and a Seeker stepped inside. One who was very familiar to the Lieutenant. "I of greet you, Vara'Ximal. Beautiful Tlaxqui is," Elpsis replied in Xio she knew was bad. Then she switched back to Basic before she embarrassed herself more. "Your Basic's a lot better than my Xio. You must be a cunning linguist." This was not innuendo at all.

"Come on, girls." She gestured to her crew, and they departed the room. Hazani scrutinised their escort, but said nothing. Nyssa winked at Ximal. The slip had not escaped her. They ran into Xilae a bit further outside. He'd bunked with a couple male Seekers whose room had had a spare bed.
"Ma'am," he said, nodding curtly towards Elpsis.
"Slept well, Xilae?" Zhaleh asked.
"Quite. You?"
"Aye, it was quieter than on the Arx," the ice Qadiri said with a side-glance towards Elpsis and Nyssa.
"Must have been the lack of engine noise."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom