Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Teaching Resilience (Elpsis)

Elpsis Kerrigan Elpsis Kerrigan
"Very cunning, I've had a lot of interactions with all manner of folks out in the galaxy. I feel like I've really got the answers on the tip of my tongue and my lessons drilled into me whilst I learnt." No innuendo here, not at all.

Ximal would smile at Xilae and bow slightly. "Welcome, friend, I am glad you are here," she said.

By the time Elpsis reached the palace, Phylis and Xiarda were just heading out.

"Ah, good morning, Elpsis, all well?" Phylis asked cheerily. "And Ximal was it, you were introduced to Lieutenant Kerrigan?"

"Yes, Mistress, we've been introduced," Ximal said with a smile.

"I think we should go in. Which of your companions, if any, would you like to take in," Xiarda asked Elpsis.

Phylis Alince Phylis Alince

Xilae looked visibly surprised at such a greeting from a Xio female. He returned the bow after a moment of composing himself. "Thank you. I am glad to see how much home has...evolved." Regardless, the trip to the royal palace was uninterrupted. To call it a palace was an exaggeration since it was just the new queen's old family manse, and thus it looked like a villa. One would only find the necessary ornamentation. Grim-looking paladins clad in battle armour and armed with enchanted blades and sidearms stood sentinel.

"Doing fine thanks. You, too, I hope?" Elpsis replied to Phylis. There was no time for further, as it was time to go inside. Elpsis looked at her party, frowning.
"I'm not brave enough for politics, ma'am. I volunteer to stand guard," Zhaleh spoke up.
"Isn't your mother a chieftainness?" Xilae asked.
"I have older siblings. You go."
"Don't be silly."

"Hazani," Elpsis decided.
"Very well, I'm ready to do my part for this...display, ma'am," the Qadiri fire mage said.
"Alright, let's..."
"I'll go with you," Nyssa interjected.
"You?" Diona looked at very dubiously.
"This is a diplomatic thing, Nyssa," Elpsis pointed out flatly.
"I am actual nobility, you know. I know how this all works. Don't stress over me."
"Fine, don't mess up."

Last edited:
Phylis watched the whole back-and-forth with a mixture of confusion and amusement. Nyssa, the red Sith, did not seem the most diplomatic, but perhaps she had unseen facets.
"I'll stay with your companions, Ma'am," Ximal said, looking to the rest of the group. "What are you going to be doing whilst the Lieutenant is in the meeting?"

Xiarda meanwhile started to walk forward, past the Banishers and into the 'palace'. As noted, it was no great monument of indulgence. Indeed, it seemed like places where decorations or ornamentation had once been were empty.
The main room was a dining and ballroom which might have once hosted a hundred guests. In the space poor Underealm it might have housed 5 families rather than being rarely used.
"Please keep your weapons holstered. We won't ask you to give them to us, we trust you. But we don't want any misunderstandings." Xiarda's skeptical eye glanced at Nyssa.

At the far end of the room was a table which looked like it was from a ballroom. The Queen's chair was not even that much bigger or more ornate, it just had a cloak draped over the back. The chamber, aside from the group and two guards, was empty.

After a moment the door opened and a servant entered. "Her Majesty, Queen Lia, the first of her name, Lady of-"
Lia entered behind, sighing. "They know who I am, Viran, it's alright. Welcome, my friends," the Queen said with a smile. She wore a well made but quite plain blue and grey dress and a simple circlet of silver and a single sapphire.

"Your Majesty, it's good to see you again," Phylis said, bowing politely.
"My dear Phylis, likewise. I am glad you could come on such short notice."
Lia looked towards Elpsis. "Welcome, Lady Kerrigan. Should I call you Baroness?" she asked innocently.

"Could have a look around?" Zhaleh suggested. "We didn't see much last night." She looked to Diona, as the ranking member of the group since everyone more senior was in the palace.
"What's the security situation like?" the former Jedi asked seriously. Firemane's brochure painted a rosy picture, but she put little trust in agitprop. Besides, she'd been on enough missions with Elpsis to know that even seemingly innocuous trips could easily lead into a war zone.

As they were led through the 'palace', Nyssa could not help feel disappointed. Oh, she approved of the austerity. All shinies and baubles did was make you weak. But it was all so...unimpressive. They had not even tried to make the throne room look like something other than a ballroom. The Queen was just sitting on a simple chair.

Nyssa would have sat on a throne of iron. Or one made from the bones of a dangerous beast. A queen had to feel like a queen, else she was just a woman with a shiny hat on. People didn't want their leaders to be ordinary people. And then the queen cut off her servant. And to think they called Nyssa rude.

Elpsis looked awkward. Like she tended to do in such situations. Nyssa suppressed a sigh. Come on, girl. Claim your power and make it yours, she thought. "Greetings, your Majesty," Elpsis said a bit stiffly, bowing her head. "Baronness isn't necessary, thank you." Looking a bit uncertain, she gestured to her companions. "This is Hazani Jai Bysara and Nyssa Vykaris."

"Your Majesty, I bring...greetings from the Sistren of the Eternal Flame," Hazani said simply. Whatever disdain she felt for Xio, she seemed to have put in some effort to hide it, and inclined her head slightly. Low enough to just about count as a bow, but high enough for her dignity to be satisfied.

This left Nyssa. The Pureblood could feel the eyes on her, and suppressed a smirk. "Hail, Queen of the Xioquo, Sovereign of the Underealm, and Lady of Night and Dusk," she executed a flawless neck bow. Oh, and she'd spoken in Xio, albeit heavily accented. "House Vykaris wishes Your Majesty good health and a long, prosperous reign." Nyssa's idea of prosperity might differ from that of other people.

Last edited:
"Of course, what would you like to see?" Ximal asked. "I can show you all of the sights, or something more entertaining." She looked to Diona. "Perimeter security ensures that no one enters Tlaxqui without proper permits. One advantage of the Underealm is that there is no ingress or egress except through the west and south gates or the space port. We have guards posted at all these locations of course, and Seekers patrol the city with regular policing forces where needed. I am not aware of any current internal security threats."
Ximal spoke seriously, not demeaning Diona's inquiry - it was pretty reasonable after all!

Lia managed to prevent herself looking surprised, but affected a small smile. "The Xioquo passes warm welcomes to Houses Kerrigan and Vykaris. Please, take a seat. I had expected...."

There was a flurry of movement and a Chiss in an official looking Firemane uniform entered the 'throne room'. She looked a little flustered.
"My apologies, your Majesty, I was delayed." She bowed rapidly.
"It is no problem, Ambassador. We had only just met."
"Right, of course." The Chiss looked over the rest of the party, steadied herself. "Ah, welcome to Tlaxqui. I am Sapy'resa'dav, or Pyre if you prefer."
Phylis offered an appropriate bow. "Welcome, Ambassador. Phylis Alince at your service."
"Oh, a Jedi, splendid." Pyre's eyes fell on Elpsis. "Welcome, Baroness Kerrigan. We are honoured by your appearance."
Lia couldn't contain a little smile. "Please, we need not stand on formalities here. Nyssa of House Vykaris and Hazani Jai Bysara have also been introduced here. Ambassador Pyre has been with us a couple of months now and doing a commendable job handling the complexities of the role." The Queen looked to her servant who still seemed to be sulking. "Some water for our guests, please, and then you may go. For the record, my friends, I will have a recording of this meeting which will be available to any of you who wish it."

Phylis took a seat at the table, and when given a glass of water she hesitated a second, and then put it on the table. Whilst further introductions were made she passed her hand into her robe and produced a small device, running it over the glass and water. No traces of poison. It never hurt to be careful.

Last edited by a moderator:

There were doubtless many fun sights the quartet could visit. "Could visit the Flame of the Eternal Memorial," Xilae suggested. He was not a fun-loving guy. "It's where part of the Blood Forges used to be," he added.
"The Blood Forges?" Zhaleh asked, a shiver running down her spine. "I've heard the name. Isn't that where you made...your monsters?"
"Demonic engines," the Xioquo confirmed. "Not a 'happy' place to go to, but we shouldn't hide the bad."
"I would like to see this memorial," Diona chimed in stoically, a serious expression on her face.

xxx

As they were about to get seated, the door opened and a flustered, blue-skinned lady in an official looking Firemane uniform entered. Nyssa would've whistled if it hadn't clashed with the role she was playing. The Chiss was cute, especially when she was embarrassed.

Talking ensued, and Nyssa caught the look of irritation crossing Elpsis' face. Elpsis just had to be Elpsis. The human opened her mouth, but before words could leave her tongue, the Pureblood beat her to the punch. "Thank you, Ambassador, her Ladyship requests that we stay informal for this meeting. She therefore humbly requests to be addressed as 'Lieutenant Kerrigan'."

Elpsis' mouth closed, then opened again. "Yes...thank you, Nyssa," she said through gritted teeth. "Welcome, Ambassador."
"Greetings, Ambassador," Hazani said simply. Her smile and tone were entirely polite but did not carry warmth.

The triot sat down at the table. The cute servant brought them drinks. Naturally Nyssa checked hers first. Then she suddenly felt something hard and metallic give her a light kick. Yes, light that fire inside you, Red. "So...how are things in the Underealm? Is there anything particular that needs to be discussed?" Elpsis asked, before taking a sip.

Last edited:

The Blood Forges had once been a place of indescribable suffering and pain. It was a place not just of the miseries of slaves forced to make machines, but a place where the Force was used and corrupted. Powered by the heat from far below, and fed with minerals extracted from long, dark tunnels, it had forged some of the most devastating war machines of the old Xio.

When the Underealm fell the slaves had been primed to be sacrificed in a last bid to feel power to Myrou by her fanatics, but they had risen up. Weak and malnourished, armed only with mining tools and improvised clubs they had fought with the desperate courage of the damned and overcome their oppressors despite heavy losses. The surviving overseers and whipmasters had been pitched into the forges or cast into the volcanic pits as a final revenge.

Now though things were different. The forges were cold now, industry occurred elsewhere. A monument had been erected. Arches of rusted metal stretched over the entrance. Memorials showing the horrors of the old ways were on clear display...but at the centre...a curious hint of the Light, muting and keeping the Dark Side at bay....

XXX

The Queen smiled, clearly Nyssa had unforeseen dimensions to herself.
"Things go, on the whole, quite well. We have issues, of course. Trying to ease my people to the right course after centuries of tyrannical oligarchy is not something which happens overnight. As always I have people telling me I'm doing things too fast and too slow. But, we manage, and with the assistance of our friends and allies we will continue to do so." She looked at Phylis. "Miss...I mean Master Jedi, thank you for coming. I am happy to allow you to conduct your research and interviews, but in return I'd like you to help further train my Seekers and Banishers in techniques to counter the Dark."
"Happy to do so, your Majesty," Phylis said. "Hmm, I am going to show some of my Light alchemy techniques to Xiarda, if any of your other adepts would like to take part I have limited space for others."
"Excellent, I'll forward some names to you once I've discussed with them."

She looked to Elpsis. "Lieutenant, thank you for coming. I hope you will not see it as a waste of time, but it does my people well to see you here. There are no weighty matters we need to discuss, that is handled by people on both sides who know more about the minutiae," she said with a smile. "However, I would love to have a chance to show you around the city, maybe provide some entertainment for you and your companions, and to answer any questions or concerns you may have. What's more, I would like to offer all of you tokens of esteem for your coming here."

It would be, in a way, comforting to say that the horrors that took place here were inconceivable. And yet sentient minds had conceived and implemented them. It would be equally comforting to say that the architects and executors of these atrocities had all been pathological psychopaths. Ordinary people could not do this. That was wrong too.

Unhinged lunatics could not be relied upon to keep a machinery of death going. Moreover, they only represented a tiny proportion of a population. An operation on this scale required many hands to keep it running. The ideal slavedriver and executioner was an official who would dedicate themselves to their nine-to-five job, then go home and check their children's homework.

The air felt heavy when the quartet entered the memorial, as if they were feeling the weight of the thousands of souls bearing down upon them. The Memorial was lightly guarded by Banishers and police officers. The visitors' credentials were checked before they were waved through. Zhaleh looked disturbed when she crossed the threshold. She had heard about the Blood Forges. One of the Xio janissaries who'd joined her tribe had described them. But to walk on this cursed ground was another matter.

How many souls was she breathing in? She shuddered when she beheld a grisly memorial. She made a V sign with her fingers, a gesture not unlike the sign of the cross on a certain planet in a galaxy far, far away. "Xilae?" she spoke, looking for her comrade.
"Over here," the Xio male said.
Walking over she found him standing before a panel, tracing the black stone with one of his long, thin fingers. "Someone you knew?" she asked gently. She knew his family had been persecuted by the regime, but few details.
"My sister. There," he pointed at a name. Tlachinolli. It's derived from our word for fire. It fit."
"A beautiful, strong name," Zhaleh bent down, reading the inscription of the cairn. "She was one of the rebellion's heroes."
Xilae nodded. "Led the charge on on one of the witches. Killed her with her last dying breath. I managed to smuggle in some bombs for her crew. But I wasn't there when it happened."
"She was very brave," Zhaleh clapped him on the shoulder. "She'd be proud of you."
"Let's se what else they have on display."

Among the memorials, there were various display pieces. One in particular caught Zhaleh's eye. "I know that," she declared, pointing at what looked like a steam-punk helicopter. "The Flying Death - we called it. My tribe. We could fight the slavers on the ground and ambush their boats, but then the Flying Death came," she shook her head.
"We called them the 'Flying Coffin."
"We've faced skyships the size of cities that can travel through the void and burn continents. Shouldn't spook me anymore."
"Who'd you lose?"
"Leila. One of my cousins. Bit younger than me. Nice girl. We'd been celebrating after a hunt. I was teasing her about a token a boy had given her. She ran back to help a wounded," she took a breath. "Her killers got what they deserved."
"Good. How did you do it? Shooting one of a 'copter down is no simple feat."
"We couldn't shoot it down. It was flying too high and too fast for our muskets. But we had our Zari. My mother drew fire - she was the fastest. Led it away from the column. Damn her, I was so scared for her. My father and I had created a mist. The pilot crashed," she paused for a moment. "It shattered the ice. We shot anyone who crawled out. Some tried to swim away. We shot them in the legs and let them drown. I hated them. Still do."
"They killed your kin."
"Could've been any of the Xio in the company. Could've been you," she pointed out.
"And then you would've killed me to defend your people, or I would've killed you," he said matter-of-factly. "Ordinary Xio...they were trapped in a bad system. Many were forced, many believed because they thought they could benefit." Xilae made a sweeping gesture. "We got here by blood and iron." And still too many got away, he thought bitterly, but suppressed it.
"And now it's our job to make sure it doesn't happen again. Not after everything we've seen in the stars."
The Xioquo nodded. "Did you feel that?"

Diona had passed by the memorials and the grisly displays. She had put some distance between herself and her two companions. She liked to think it was to give them some space since she could sense this place was having an effect on them. The truth was that she'd wanted a moment to herself. She had not been a victim of horrors such as this. She had been an executioner.

She would have liked to say that what she had seen had shocked her. But in truth it had not. She had walked through the killing fields. She had done her part in creating them. She suppressed a sigh. The former Jedi came to a halt before a display showcasing the punishment of the overseers and whipmasters. The display also showcased a few Xioquo matriarchs who had been responsible for running the place being put on trial for their crimes.

Will it be like this for Tephrike one day? she wondered. The Dominion of Light overthrown, the Inquisition destroyed and its masters punished with fiery retribution. There was a part of her that wanted to hope. A part she kept well-buried. The Xioquo had been set free because Firemane had warred against their mistresses. Not because they had been evil, but because they were in the way.

There was no reason for the space people to do the same for Tephrike. If there was to be change, it had to come at home from below. From the brainwashed masses, who clung to the Dominion as their sole saving grace. And the worst of that is that they aren't entirely wrong, she thought, as her memories drifted to the Vaderites and the Vong rebels. The Unchained had heart...but they were weak. Idealistic.

"'And though this world, with devils filled,
Should threaten to undo us,
We will not fear, for the Light hath willed
its truth to triumph through us.'"

She had always liked this hymn, even though she no longer believed in the words. She chanted them quietly in her thick Tephriki brogue. And she blinked when she felt the pull of the light from deep inside the memorial.

xxx

"Don't think I'm wasting my time," Elpsis responded a bit awkwardly. She was not good at this and knew it. "But I don't see how seeing me limp about and shake hands helps anyone, but fair, I guess."
"Lieutenant Kerrigan just doesn't want anyone to feel obligated to make a lot of fanfare on her behalf," Nyssa interjected. "We're honoured by your offer of tokens, and have brought gifts in return."

They had? "Yes," Elpsis wondered whether she should kick her again. She had the feeling the Pureblood would enjoy it too much. "Look, I'm a doer. I hate being idle. City tour and some fun's fine, but is there any place I can be of use? Like, training, even construction work." Some would probably consider it strange to go on holiday...and look for more work to do, especially if it involved manual labour.

"There's a matter I'd like to discuss with your Majesty," Hazani suddenly spoke up. "I was asked by the Mistresses of the Flame. concerns relations between the Xioquo, and the Sistren of the Flame and the Qadiri under their protection." One imagined the ambassador might have something to say about that.

Last edited:
Appearing beside her with silken quiet, Ximal nodded down further.
"For all the grimness here, for all the darkness, there is Light too. Come with me, if you wish."
Ximal led the way down into the bottom of the open area. Here a ring of dark obelisks surrounded a small altar of light grey stone. The Force was thick here, but the pervasive darkness of the forges seemed to be drained away, conducted like a lightning rod away. In its place a beacon of the Light Side sat. There was no physical light, but the power of the Force was oddly peaceful, oddly soothing.

"This is a place of reflection. Even the darkest night will end and dawn will come - however silly that sounds coming from us. We did not do this to hide the evil which happened here, far from it. It's here so that there can be hope for the future in a place of such loss and pain. Do you feel it, Diona?" Ximal asked softly.

As Xilae and Zhaleh discussed matters there was a gentle cough from behind them.
"Pardon me, I hope you take no offense to me eavesdropping, but I believe I heard you mention a blessed name. Tlachinolli, your sister?" There was the tap-tap of a stick and a Xio lady walked into sight. She was dressed modestly, but her most prominent feature was a blindfold over her eyes. She walked with a limp, needing the staff.
"Forgive me, you must be Xilae, yes? I knew your sister, before the downfall. My name is Tamoca. I was suspected of being an agent and saboteur against the slavers. Correctly, but I did not give them that satisfaction, so they made an example of me. Your sister freed me, took me to safety, then I heard she perished in the battle. Now I give talks here, I help out where I can. But I was curious if her brother would ever come to see this place."
Her head turned to Zhaleh. "Forgive me, miss, I apologise for interjecting. I hope you can forgive this palace of horror at least a little with the sacrifice of those who died overthrowing it."

XXX

"Of course, Lieutenant, you want to be doing things. You are a woman of action," Lia said approvingly. "How about this, after a little tour to show the flag I can introduce you to a few of our aspirant pyromancers and you can evaluate them, give them some training and provide some of your experience to them?"

"You did?" Pyre asked when Nyssa mentioned gifts. Then, she caught up with herself. "Ah, yes, of course, the gifts. We will get those delivered without delay."

She was soon distracted though by the presence of Hazani and her demands.
"Ah, Sergeant, umm, perhaps we might discuss that matter before you raise it with her highness?" she asked, frowning. She was certain that wasn't in the briefing notes.
"Please, Sergeant Jai Bysara, tell me your message. If it's in my power to answer and resolve, I will, or I will have the matter looked at by my council," she said calmly, a friendly smile on her face.

There was no physical light, but Diona felt a calming feeling. Soothing, even. "Yes," Diona said softly. "I do." She was certain she could perceive shapes in the dark. Robed apparitions of Xio that bore the scars of torture and suffering. The sight made her flinch. She had seen such faces before - but she'd been on the other side.

She tensed when she heard voices from the ether, speaking in Xio. She could not make out the words, but it sounded like a...chant. No, a lament. "I shouldn't be here. This is a place for the victims of tyranny, not...," she stopped herself. "How did this come into being? How can the light exist in a place that has spawned such evil?"

Xilae turned upon hearing the voice from behind him, along with the tap-tap of a walking stick. "Thank you. I'm honoured to meet you. It's good you're keeping the flame alive." A flame many would rather go out because remembering it was inconvenient. "It's what she would've wanted."
For her part, Zhaleh felt a bit like an intruder standing between the two Xio, but she smiled slightly. "The ones who suffered here deserve care, they don't need to atone for anything. I lost one of my fathers and my cousin to the Xio. I won't forgive their killers...but I won't hate the Xio for it. At least my kin's deaths were quick. This was," she paused, searching for a word in her vocabulary that would convey the horror, but came up short, "cruel," she took a breath. "I came here to understand, and I think I do a little more now."
"How are things at your talks? Do you get many listeners? Any trouble?" Xilae asked curiously.

xxx

"Yes, that works. Thanks," Elpsis said with a nod towards the queen.
Nyssa smirked at Pyre. The Chiss looked cute in her uniform. She would not mind peeling it off her. "As I promised. I believe you helped me pick one."
"What sorta gifts?" Elpsis muttered under her breath.
"Oh, don't be jealous. You have two of my best gifts deep inside you." Somehow, Nyssa managed to make that sound indecent. But in the meantime Hazani had taken centre stage.
It hadn't been in the briefing notes. Elpsis curled her lip in annoyance, shooting Hazani a stern look. The temptation was strong to rebuke her. Give her the talk in private, she thought.
"My apologies. I am speaking as a Sister of the Flame who may one day lead her Sistren. It behooves the Xioquo and the Qadiri to find ways to build a more constructive future, does it not? I understood that to be something Firemane finds desirable," she said innocently. "It concerns the return of relics of the Sistren and the Krolians that were stolen by the Xioquo of the...old order. They are of great significance to our history and the Kashari faith. The Xio relinquished some of the faith's artefacts after Myrou's fall, but due to the circumstances, it was rather...disorganised, and claimed by third parties with no right to them." In other words, those items had been claimed by Semiramis' troops. "And our people ask for the right to fish in the Black Expanse."

Last edited:
Ximal glanced sidelong at her. "You don't have to stay if it unsettles you," she said softly. "But we have all done things we regret. Almost every Xio has benefited from the suffering and toil of slaves. I have, though not intentionally." She smiled slightly. "Until I became one of course."
"But what I mean though is that people can change, people can become better. It's not like some of the Jedai think where it's just a magic button and suddenly you're filled with the Light. Far from it, but the road of the Light is hard and long, but it's a road worth taking. But...I don't need to tell you that, do I?" she asked with a smile.

The shapes before Diona coalesced into faintly glowing golden shapes of Xio. Many were marred, but when they spoke they did so levelly, and in Common. Though, since it was through telepathy any language would do. Many voices spoke as one.
"Welcome. We speak as memory for the fallen, so memory will not be lost. We speak for the lost so no more will be lost again."

"We get visitors," Tamoca said softly. "There was many to start with, fewer now, mainly students, or those from far away. Visitors like you, my friend," she said to Zhaleh. "But there have been those who are....less receptive. Not many, but some I hear mutter demeaning words, make jokes about things here. The Banishers tell me one of the visitors broke an exhibit attempting to get a picture with it. They showed no remorse and were arrested for trying to leave without paying restitution. And then," she said darkly, "there are those who believe none of this was real. One, a noble scion, tried to remove my blindfold and called me an actor paid to pretend what happened here. The Banishers grabbed her, but I removed my own blindfold and showed her my empty sockets and asked her if this was what an actor did, asked her if she would like a role where ones eyes were removed with a hot knife."
She had been getting a bit heated, but sighed. "Sorry...I cannot explain, or understand, those who deny what is clearly true. Your sister was a good...friend...of mine, so I am honoured to help show you around, the least I can do."
To Zhaleh she smiled and seemed more at peace. "If you'd like I can show you to some more of the exhibits? If there's anything I can do you only need ask."

XXX

Lia listened to Hazani carefully. Many others - Semiramis included - would have fallen back on the 'colonial' excuse of essentially 'finders keepers'. However, the Queen nodded eagerly enough.
"Of course, if they were yours, they should be yours again. Provide a list to me...Mistress Alince, would you assist the Sergeant in inspecting our vaults and finding the items, if we have them, and returning them? I trust you are able to understand what she would be asking for?"
"Hmm, yes of course! I would be eager to assist you, Sergeant!" Phylis said. She always loved an excuse to go digging in vaults. After all, that's what started her involvement with Firemane, Eldorai and their origins so many years ago.
Nyssa, and likely Elpsis, would recognise this as a canny move as well. Phylis was a trusted outsider by all parties, and famous for her honesty and complete lack of guile. With her overseeing the process Hazani could both be assured she'd get what was asked for, and that the Xio were not hiding things from her. However, the other side of it was that Lia did not need to be seen to do the handover herself. An outsider doing it might be more acceptable for the hardliners.

"As for the fishing, I see no reason to dispute this...though I have seen the new trawlers the corporations and offworlders have are rather...destructive of the ecosystem. If you can prepare some notes I will show my council once I am better versed in the matter."

"Is that a satisfactory response for now, Sergeant? And you, Lieutenant, do you have more you wish to discuss before we exchange gifts?"

Diona gave the Xio a serious look. "Being unsettled by it is a reason for why I should stay," she stated, though she seemed to speaking more to herself than Ximal. "The way of the Light is not the easy path. "There's a difference between closing one's eyes to atrocity and perpetrating it. I did the latter." She shook her head. "I know there is no reset button that will fill me with the Light's grace. No number of innocents I save should wash away the sin of the innocent blood I shed," she said fervently and looked around, taking in the obelisk.

"On Tephrike, there is no place like this. The Force is...clouded. When we do the Dominion's will, it feels righteous. Dark feels like Light, and..." Whatever she wanted to say was cut off, for the spirits that had been congregating before suddenly coalesced into glowing golden shapes. When they spoke, it was multiple voices in unison. There were many ways to react when the dead addressed you. "You...speak for the dead...the martyred? You're a manifestation of the Light? I sense it. How can this be?"

Listening to Tamoca just made Xilae angrier. Not at her, but at fools, and war crimes deniers. "There's no shame in feeling anger towards liars, fools and criminals. They deserve scorn. The scum would be singing a different tune if they'd gotten a taste of the Blood Forges."

"I would like to see the exhibition," Zhaleh chimed, looking thoughtful before she added: "Would it be alright if I said a Qadiri prayer for the dead?" Would the Qadiri deities heed prayers for Xio? Some of the Xio who'd joined her tribe had partaken in her people's religious rites, and no ill fate had befallen them, so the idea didn't seem farfetched to her.

xxx

Hazani looked surprised. In truth, she hadn't expected agreement. She'd expected to make a point and then get told off by Firemane. "That is...most satisfactory," she took a breath. "Thank you. We don't use trawlers. They violate Nanshe's creation." Or rather the foreign imperialists had not given them any.

She paused for a moment. "I know not of Xioquo burial traditions, she began." Truth be told, she wasn't sure they had any. The old stories said that they fed their dead slaves to the living ones. "But many Xio fell in our battles. Scores died at Krolis. Not all remains were destroyed. They could be...returned. If the bones of our dead were returned to us to be cleansed in Kashara's flames."

Ask her for a bride, Nyssa's voice brushed against Elpsis' mind, whereupon the human gave her another kick that would definitely leave a bruise. "I don't have anything to bring up, Your Majesty. Thanks," Elpsis responded. She would still be giving Hazani the talk once they were out of the palace.

Last edited:
Ximal glanced her her, nodded slowly. "Good," she said simply. "Many of the fallen ladies and matriarchs feel they just need to hand around some charity and say the right words and all the blood and sin is washed from them. Redemption is a journey, not a destination. I've done bad things, though I think less so than you. But we're in no competition about virtue and sin, what's required is that we set ourselves values and follow them. I have pledged to do so, and I see you have as well. Good."

"There are few places like this, truth be told. I know of one on Tygara, when I went to Yarkul as part of my pilgrimage. I know of a second far away on a world I explored which once held a shrine for the Jedai."

The spirits demanded their attention.
"We are those who fell here but who have not left this realm. We are not trapped here, we seek to educate and bear witness to those who come after. We are here so what happened here is not lost. You bear great burdens, Jedi Diona. Will you let us show you what happened here?"
Ximal seemed to be having her own discussion with the spirits because she nodded. "Show me, honoured fallen."

xxx

"They deserve pity and to learn the truth. Being angry with them will only lead to more suffering. Some claim the spirits are evil, that there is a plot to brainwash those who do not conform. It is not so, we simply wish people to know what really happened."

She turned to Zhaleh. "Of course, please come with me. Say your prayers, and I will join you."

With surprising skill the blind Xio used her cane to make her way steadily towards her destination. Perhaps because the layout had not changed she knew where to go, and led the pair to the exhibition. "What would you like to see? We have some of the displays from the old days, some stories of those who fought, and we have the newly restored Tomb of the Unknown Martyr."

xxx

"Excellent, then I see no reason to refuse, but I will check with the Council if there are any factors I am unaware of," Lia said regarding the fishing.

"I would be happy to exchange the bodies to give proper rites. We too tend to cremate our fallen so they can return to the earth...and also because we do not have the space to inhume all our departed."
She frowned. "It is likely difficult in some places to distinguish between Xio and Qadiri skeletons, especially since our former rulers did not much care for distinguishing between slaves. However, this might be a good way to bring our peoples together. How about we recover the remains and then together we say our rites for the departed and burn the dead so their essences can merge and depart this world. In that way we can come closer together. However, I do have some remains from higher ranking Qadiri who sadly perished in captivity. I will freely return those to you with all their possessions we have still."

"Thank you, Lieutenant, if all is well with your Sergeant we can proceed."

Daily life in the Dominion of Light was steeped in religion. This applied even more so for a knight of the Windian Jedi Order - especially for one who was also an Inquisitor. The Light was not just the 'good side' of a sentient energy field; it was Ashla, a deity. Hours were spent in prayer and seclusion to divine its will.

Force ghosts were not simply powerful Force-Users who had unlocked a 'Force power' to retain their identity in the Force. They were luminous beings blessed by divine grace who had achieved the highest stage of enlightenment after a wholesome life in service to Ashla. They were, to all intents and purposes, saints.

These were the thoughts running through Diona's mind as she beheld the glowing, golden apparitions. Perhaps Ashla was not a delusion, after all. Her reaction was immediate. She knelt before the apparitions on the hard stone ground, bowing her head. "I am not worthy to be in your presence, hallowed ones, for I have sinned gravely," she said solemly. Awe was written across her features. "But I would seek whatever revelation you grant me."

Xilae didn't quite agree with Tamoca, but didn't press the point. Arguing with someone who had endured and suffered in the Blood Forges would be inappropriate. It would be arrogant to tell her how she should react to delusional fools. "Thank you. I would like hear more about the slaves. And maybe visit the tomb. What do you think, Xilae?" Zhaleh asked.

"Yes, sounds good," he nodded and looked at Tamoca. "I heard the spirits manifest sometimes to...offer guidance, talk to the bereaved. Is that true?" he asked. It probably wasn't rocket science to figure out what he was actually asking.

xxx

Hazani looked uncertain for a few moments. Qadiri and Xioquo were not the same. When a Qadiri died and her remains were cremated, her soul would rejoin Kashara's flames. Xioquo went...into some cold, dark pit. But she couldn't shoot the Queen down without it reflecting poorly on her. It serves you ill to fight all your foes at the same time, she thought.

Somehow, the Flayed One's words came back to her. Your people fought each again and again. Now you're 'at peace'. No doubt the humans like it that you're still nursing grudges. Lets them play 'peacemaker'. Keeps them in control. She threw a side-glance at the Firemane Ambassador. "That sounds acceptable to me. Thank you. I will convey your offer to the Mistresses of the Flame."

Elpsis cleared her throat. "Shikoba may be able to help identify them. The Vash in my platoon," she said for Lia's benefit. "All about communing with the dead, and helping spirits cross over. I can't do that, but I get flashes sometimes when I touch a corpse."

Ximal watched out of the corner of her eye as Diona knelt. Surprised, and yet not. She had experienced the spirits before, and knew that sometimes they could be overwhelming. She did not know what exactly Diona had done - she'd heard rumours about the Tephrike campaign - and suspected it was connected.

"Diona, your actions were grave, but all is not lost. We see that redemption is possible for you, if you walk the hard and slow path. Nothing comes without effort. Witness one who was once like you. We remember."

It was chaos. Screams filled the darkness, lit only by the soft glow of the forges. The crack of rifles, the clash of blades...the rattle of chains. All around the cavern where Diona now stood was once very different. Cages hung from the roof, the living or dead alike abandoned to rot. Machines filled the interior, working night and day to produce weapons, armour, ammunition.
Or it had before the rebellion. Word had reached even this infernal place of a great battle above, of the outsiders invading. The time had come, to do or die.
"Quickly, take the weapons, come with me!" A Xio dressed like an overseer was instead loosing the chains on some slaves, handing them what tools and weapons she had at hand. As the commotion spread and the slaves fanned out, killing the overseers and freeing others, the alarm gongs sounded. The overseer turned rebel leader removed her helm and removed her armoured coat, so as not to be mistaken in the confusion. She gave orders, directing slaves too and fro.
As the battle flowed onwards, as the remaining overseers and whipmasters formed their last stand, the betrayer led a final charge, but then a gun fired. Without her armour the glancing shot pierced her side and she fell, but victory was at hand, and she could look up and see the last of the oppressors overwhelmed and thrown down.

"Her name was Varanara'Mirae, she was daughter of a prominant family. She committed many evil acts because she was afraid and knew no better. But when the time came she did what was right and laid down her life for the freedom of the many from the tyranny of the few. Learn from this, Diona, evil is strong and easy to follow, but righteous actions are never wasted if they benefit others."

The vision faded, leaving Diona once again in the remade caverns. Where she knelt was close indeed to where Mirae died.

XXX

"It is true, I have heard them speak to me. Your human friend is with them now, we can go there after she is done." She paused, looking to where Xilae's voice was. "I...am not sure you can choose one to speak to above all others, but it may be possible. Perhaps you might hear from her."
She led the two on a tour of the exhibits. Despite being blind she clearly knew what was in each display as they passed. There were markings on the wall and glass, a braille-like alternative, which would give her clarity if it was needed.
"Slaves of many kinds were brought here. Qadiri, condemned or enslaves Xio, Vash, even some humans when they started to come, and Eldorai too. They were treated terribly. There was no interest in making things safe or effective, just cruelty and violence. Here they would work all day mining, carrying, performing repetitive but dangerous tasks. But it was the overseers who were the worst. Many were cruel and vicious, people who did not favour the danger of military life, but wanted to exploit the suffering of those weaker than them."
It was pretty clear Tamoca had very little sympathy for them. 'They were only following orders' would not work well with her as an excuse.

XXX

"Oh she can?" Lia asked curiously. "Then by all means, bring her in. I welcome any assistance. If there are any ways we can identify who is who then we should take it."

She rose to her feet. "Please come with me, we can exchange gifts and tokens now."

She led them to the next room which was even less grand, a sitting room laid out with chairs and a central table. On it was piled some treasures to be delivered.
The first was for Elpsis. "For you, Lieutenant, a ruby enchanted by Naxi'Xiarda, using methods Master Alince combined with our own talents. I hope it will provide you with thoughts and memories of here after you are gone."
The ruby was set in a golden clasp and when touched and focused on would allow one to hear, sense and smell the Underealm's wildest reaches. A sensory gift.

Abruptly Diona was swept up by the vision. Suddenly the landscape around her shifted. She could tell that she still was in the same spot, but it looked very differently. Her jaw clenched tightly as she took in the scenery - slavery, oppression, bloodshed. The place was an engine of death and misery, feeding on it as it churned out the machinery of war.

Her first thought was a Vaderite death camp. But, in her heart of hearts, she knew that there were facilities in the Dominion that were not too different. Then suddenly all hell broke loose. To Diona's surprise, one of the overseers turned on the machine she had helped keep running. She paid the ultimate price.

The vision faded away, and she was back in the present. She looked down, and touched the cold hard ground where Mirae had fallen. She looked up to the spirits - the emissaries of the Light. If there was hope for Mirae's damned soul, perhaps there was a sliver of hope for her. Perhaps she was not eternally damned. "You have granted me revelation, hallowed ones. For this I thank you," she said solemly. "I shall dedicate myself to Ashla, to service to the downtrodden. Not in the hope of forgiveness...but because it is right."

Zhaleh looked rather disturbed. "But their own people suffered here. They didn't...do anything to help them?" She was not naive. She knew what the Xioquo did to captured Qadiri and Vash. That had been wrong and savage. But their own people was another matter.
"They didn't see them as that. It paid well."
"How were these overseers chosen? Could they have refused?"
"You had to volunteer to work here. No point in forcing someone who might blather. Safe posting away from the frontlines. Why bother face someone who can fight back when you get can beat and rob helpless prisoners?" he asked rhetorically.
The Zaldrani Qadiri looked at Tamoca. "How well-known was what happened here?"

xxx

They were led into another room, which was somehow even less grand. Nyssa felt a bit underwhelmed. This young queen was so bourgeois. "The Shoto," the Pureblood hissed to Elpsis beneath her breath.
"Yeah, I know," the human muttered. Then Lia handed her the ruby. Elpsis could not see the gold, but when she touched the ruby, and familiar, earthy scents filled her nostrils while the sounds of the Underealm resonated in her ears. She ran a finger across the ruby. "Thank you, this is beautiful. I'll treasure your gift," she smiled slightly, then presented hers. "Dunno if someone taught you how to use a glowstick, but we, uh, got this for you. We call it a Shoto. Shorter than a typical sabre, but a good backup weapon."

The spirits 'looked' down at her, or at least seemed to.
"Good. We ask that you keep the memory of this place and its story with you. We ask that you do all in your power to prevent it occurring again. The Light is just as strong as the Dark, but requires sacrifice and will. Go, Diona of the far stars, bring the Light to the darkness."
The images faded away.

Ximal was the first to speak afterwards, her voice hushed. "I saw the battle. I saw one of the Qadiri slaves named Arriza lead her gang even though they were still in a chain gang at the ankles and bring down the supports of the overseers' watch tower. She perished saving others in her group."
It seemed everyone saw a different vision, something tied to their own personal experience.
"Are you alright? I didn't expect it to be so...intense."

XXX

Tamoca looked troubled. "Everyone knew about it, but people either profited too much from it, were too scared to speak out, or wilfully ignored it. Life was hard in the Underealm, slaves and their labour made things a bit easier. Raids and wars often brought back treasures the Mistresses would distribute to all to gain favour. The few who saw the truth we all know now is that the Mistresses were deliberately making it difficult in order to aggrandize their roles."

Her hand encompassed all the cavern as she gestured. "They made us believe that all of this was necessary, good even. And that those who went here were criminals, traitors, heretics. And most people believed it until the Council Guard arrived at their door because they had been condemned, or because they had property another wanted, or because they knew something inconvenient. I did not do all I could to resist it, and when I did I suffered for it. But I do not regret that, I regret not acting sooner."

XXX

Lia took the lightsabre, her hands brushing over Elpsis' hand as she grasped the hilt. "I have indeed. Master Alince here, and others have been kind enough to teach me the use of the lightsabre. It is a long process to learn, but worthy. Thank you, Elpsis, I will treasure this. It will be useful to keep on my person."
She activated the weapon and the blue blade sprung into life. She made a salute and took guard with the weapon experimentally before deactivating it and stowing it in her robe.

"For you, Phylis, what would you ask of from me?"
Phylis coughed slightly. "Nothing, Majesty, as I am, hmm, already engaged to work with you on other matters. However, I have an idea of something for you when I work with Naxi'Xiarda later."
Lia smiled slightly. "Well you are getting a gift from me whether you like it or not." She went to a small chest and produced a roll of parchment held in a leather case. "We found this in the archives, hidden in the most restricted section. We believe it to be a retelling from Mystra herself. The language is of an unknown type."
Phylis' eyes practically gleamed as she took it. "I will definitely study and record this before I go and return it. I believe I can translate it."
The Queen smiled, her gaze then turned to Nyssa and Hazani. "Sergeant, the items of your people are not gifts, they are duties and honours to return to you. I have instead this fine ring which I hope can be the start of better relations between us." She offered a fine golden ring set with a get and a ruby, a symbolic meeting of the two peoples.
"And for you, Lady Vykaris, I would offer you this." She presented the last item to the Sith, a long knife with a stiletto blade. As she passed her hand over it and whispered a word it vanished. Or at the least became far harder to discern. Elpsis would still perceive the shadow of it, and Nyssa would see it if she focussed but the perception was lessened.
"Bear it with good fortune."

"By Ashla, I vow this," Diona said...not with the fervour of old, but an air of solemnity. The apparitions faded away, and Diona stood. How long had she been kneeling? Her limbs felt tired. "I saw an overseer. She served the regime...but she turned on them and gave her life." She looked at Ximal. "Thank you for taking me here. I know what path I must walk." And how it would end. She was fine with that.

xxx

Zhaleh looked...shocked and deeply pained. "They knew, they all knew," she muttered.
"First they came for the heretics, and I didn't speak out. Because I wasn't a heretic," Xilae said quietly. "Then they came for the Vashyada, and I didn't speak out..." he trailed off. "You stood up. Many didn't." Seeing the other woman's distress, Zhaleh pulled Tamoca into a hug.

xxx

Hazani looked awkward when the golden ring was handed to her. She studied it for a moment. The symbolism was not lost on her. She put it on her finger. "Thank you. I have...something for you, Your Majesty."

She fished into her holster and produced what on first sight looked like a hopelessly archaic flintlock pistol, albeit one engraved in silver. But those sensitive to the Force would feel it was enchanted. "Only a few of these were never made. They say not even the strongest Zari blade forged by Xio smiths could cleave it in twain, that it could be fired even after being soaked in water and that it never missed its target. My mother killed Vondra'Chicahua with this gun at Krolis." On the surface, a sign of rapprochement. On the surface, that is.

Nyssa reached out, and suddenly the long knife had vanished. For a moment she looked baffled, then she reached out with the Force and smirked. "You Xioquo make some really ingenious things," she took the hilt and twirled the invisible weapon in her hand. She repeated the word the Xio had said, albeit with somewhat imprecise pronounciation, and the knife appeared again. She attached it to her belt and reached into her jacket, fetching an onyx necklace with a blood red crystal. The Force emanted from it. "I made it myself," Nyssa declared proudly. "May I?" Assuming the queen agreed, the Pureblood would put the necklace around Lia's neck.

Last edited:
Ximal smiled and took her hand. "I am pleased that this visit has aided you. I know many others who have felt like they know and understand better now they have witnessed it. The spirits do not force you to change…but they do show you the truth in expectation that the truth will set you on a new path."

"I think what is most special is that even though the people fell, they did so helping others, their sacrifice is not in vain so long as we remember and honour their memory." She bowed to the centre of the nexus. "Come, we'd better get back to the others."

XXX

Tamoca was surprised by the hug, obviously being unable to see it coming. However she leaned into Zhaleh slightly, holding her. She sniffled a little. She might have lost her eyes but the other mechanisms for crying remained.

"Thank you, Zhaleh, you are very kind. And you, Xilae, you too are very kind. If the way is clear though we can consult the spirits. They do not grace everyone with their presence, but maybe they will speak to you?"

She pulled away from Zhaleh, and after getting her bearings led them down towards the nexus just now being departed by Ximal and Diona.

XXX

For a moment as Lia took the weapon her diplomatic mask slipped slightly and she frowned. Then the friendly smile returned.

"She was never my favourite cousin anyway," she said lightly. She very much understood the meaning and implication of this gift. "I shall treasure it, now that you will no longer need it against us," she added diplomatically.

Her attention was diverted to Nyssa. She allowed the Sith to place the necklace around her neck. She sensed the Force from it.

"A beautiful gift, Lady Vykaris. Your skills with crafting are clearly exceptional."

The gifts now presented; Lia smiled. "I think this has been productive. Lieutenant, what is your schedule for this afternoon? I would like to invite Master Alince to examine the vaults and for your Sergeant to examine the results, but this will take time."

Phylis glanced over at Elpsis. "I had promised to do some training with Elpsis, and with Xiarda, but I am flexible on when and what order I do it in."

"Yes," Diona said...laconically. She was not the sort to be particularly verbose unless called for. She looked once more at the centre of the nexus, where the spirits had manifested, bowed her head deeply, then turned away. She could never expect forgiveness from those she had hurt or to whose suffering she had acquiesced to. Nor she did she deserve it. It was not something to be 'earned'. But...her striving could have meaning. She could serve Ashla.

On the way, they ran into Zhaleh, Xilae and a Xio woman Diona did not know, but she took note of the blindfold around her eyes. "Hey, Diona," Zhaleh began, "everything alright? You seem...different."
"I had an...illuminating encounter. This place is sanctified by the Light. Be respectful."
"This is Tamoca. One of the survivors of the Blood Forges," Xilae helpfully informed her.
Diona inclined her head slightly. "It is an honour."

xxx

Nyssa smirked smugly. "Your Majesty is kind. I can make many beautiful things if it pleases you." She felt Elpsis give her the mental equivalent of a slap. You're cute when you're jealous, babe.
"I'm mostly free too, yeah. Got glowstick training planned with Phylis, but nothing firm beyond that."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom