Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Staff Critique - June & July 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Staff Team does not condone bullying in any form. That is not what has been said here and you are taking Tefs words out of context. What is being said is simply that we are unable to police Skype - we have no jurisdiction there, we hold no way of stopping individuals from harassing others on Skype. Even if we tell them to stop we have no way of ensuring they do. You can, however, by using functions such as Block.

There's also the issue of individuals failing to report things, or even informing another that what was done or said has made them uncomfortable/unhappy etc. There is nothing Staff can do if they are unaware.

[member="Kyra Sol"]

SO let me get this straight, so there's no out of context.

IF someone on skype has harassed me about things on this site and I copy the logs and report him/her, will you act on it accordingly or will you say "Tough luck, that was Skype."

Matreya

Jared Ovmar said:
[font=courier new']What we will say is something in the lines of: "You have a block-function. Use it."[/font]
No. Not we. Your not staff.

Also. Sad how this is the only site Ive been to where members have no protection

[member="Jared Ovmar"]

So a bully on skype, who was met through this site, harassing about this site, will get no sort of punishment for bullying another of this site.

BULLIES EVERYWHERE! HARASS THE PEOPLE YOU DON'T LIKE ON SKYPE! You won't get in trouble here at all.

[member="Darth Ferus"]
That depends on the member of staff and what was said. Personally? I'd deal with it. It's hard to give a definitive answer considering what one person deems as bullying is not consistent with what another may. Situations such as these have to be handled case by case as they rely on many factors. All I am trying to say is that you're spinning this the wrong way and staff do not condone bullying.

[member="Kyra Sol"]

I'm not trying to spin this anyway, simply get a legit answer

YOu do not condone bullies. Then do as my old server did.

If you are a part of this site, and someone else from this site harasses you -anywhere- you can report it to the staff here, and they will get in trouble here.

After all, I wouldn't of met really any of you if it wasn't for this site. Same goes with others. I just don't like bullies. I'm sure you're on the same page as that. Put the fact that a bully can get in trouble on this site for anything they do against another on this site, and you'll of fixed a problem. It wil still happen, but how many people do you honestly think will continue to harass others offsite knowing that if they're on starwarsrp.net they can and should get banned.

Make sense?

Kasamann said:
Also. Sad how this is the only site Ive been to where members have no protection
This is an issue Staff has faced since the creation of SWRP. Where does the line begin and end for the amount of protection we provide?

My answer is, if someone is harassing you on the board - let us know.

If someone is harassing you on Skype - block them.

If someone is threatening to do something to you on Skype that involves SWRP, report it.

If it involves SWRP, report it.

Everything else: learn to protect yourself on the internet. We're not responsible for all things that do not involve SWRP.

Edit: But we need logs, or else we can do nothing. The SWRP Staff Team works based on investigation and evidence. Provide us evidence, via unaltered logs (in context).

[member="Kasamann"] As someone who's held every position on this board, let me throw my two cents in here.

Staff can't be everywhere doing everything at all times, their job isn't to solve everyone's problems. Believe it or not, they got on here at first to Roleplay and gradually rose to the top for being mature and understanding the rules. Staff chat is essentially "how to improve the board" chat. They literally are busting their tails at all times to make this place as fun as possible. [member="Tefka"] himself even pays out of pocket to keep this place up and as nice and neat as it is. You are trying to convey your opinion I get that, but you've got to understand staff puts a lot of trust in members. They hope that everyone can follow the rules, believe me they don't enjoy spending all day solving an rp dispute or having to deal with OOC drama.

So I get what you're saying, but you're being a little unrealistic towards people who aren't compensated for this and who GIVE their free time to do work most wouldn't want to touch. So please relax a little, it's a message board dedicated to community writing and communicating with fellow Star Wars/writing folks we couldn't just meet outside.

Matreya

Just as it is mature for them to say and do rude things to others? Maybe I'm doing exactly as said and bringing them to the light in a fashion less harsh than the reporting. "Hey these guys have been mentioned a dozen times lets watch them."

[member="Jared Ovmar"]

Tef, thats the point i have been trying to make. Your staff legitametly stated being unconcerned if bullying pertaining to this site happened, so long as we took it else where. Meaning say I didnt like a girls post, i can go to PM or Skype and take a dump all over her for that post. Call her names, be rude and cruel, and not be in trouble as it wasnt public.

Sarges words.

If bullying isnt allowed, say so. Dont cover half, and say oh well only if its public can we do anythin
[member="Tefka"]

[member="Tefka"]

Lets say you get two new members. X and Y

X is a dirtbag. Likes to harass people. He meets Y -through- this site, and otherwise wouldn't of known Y existed in the first place. X harasses Y offsite due to Z, a friend of both X and Y, giving X Y's skype. But because X does not harass Y about anything on the site, X is free to do so. X takes it as far as making new skype accounts to harass Y even after Y blocks the initial one.

Y leaves the internet all together, too overwhelmed by the dirtbagery of X. He spends his days depressed because he's not like other people who can just deal with trolls online.

Does X get in trouble? The only connection to starwarsrp.net is that X met Y on the site itself.

J3C0

J
First off, i'll say that staff have been doing a good job. Even in the absence of Tefka things have been running smoothly and efficiently and i applaud those of you that are hopping around doing stuff. Now onto my point.

My complaint doesn't have to deal necessarily with staff, but how invasions have been handled on this board and the specific rule-set that currently applies to it. Over the course of the past few days I learned how completely an utterly useless the rule-set for beginning and invasion is.

My faction members attempted to begin an invasion of a planet, this invasion had been discussed, talked about, and even planned out by my members(with input from all if not most of them). Then when my members independently tried to launch this invasion it was put on hold because I was not there to discuss terms with the enemy leader. Furthermore the thread then got put on hold by RPJ's due to a “lack” of discussion of terms.

This leads me to my point. Discussing the terms of an invasion before the invasion happens is 100% unnecessary and in my opinion diminishes the effectiveness of an invasion as a roleplay. This rule;

“Before an Invasion begins, Faction Leaders must convene to discuss how the Invasion will be handled by both sides to account for fairness and balance. If a compromise cannot be reached please consult a Role-play Judge. “

The current board rules for invasions(besides the one i'm arguing against obviously) is entirely fair without any further additions. Many past Invasions and recent ones have run off of them -flawlessly- with absolutely no issue on either side, Junction, Concord Dawn, Junction Again, Coruscant, Manaan, Ossus, and many others had nothing but vanilla board rules and each ran without any big issue that required staff intervention or even significant input from Faction leaders.

When one takes into consideration the rules of discussing terms however everything becomes muddled. When discussing terms all that basically happens is the adding of more and more rules making for a stricter and less open roleplay environment. It also completely and entirely hinders the ability to have a surprise attack which is an important function of war. To further spell this out;

Faction A gears up for an invasion and is completely prepared. Faction B is unprepared. Faction A, due to rules has to PM their terms to Faction B. Faction B see's the rules and states that they don't agree with them. Due to the rules Faction A now has to wait and discuss terms with Faction B. Faction B uses this time to gear up their faction. The effect of a surprise attack is now completely gone.

This rule in my opinion is completely flawed and ruins the nature of the game of the map.

Matreya

Alright. Im off. But im ending it with this, yes staff volunteer. But if theyre doing it strictly to be in control but do nothing to protect their members, its wrong.

Sorry to anyone I offended, if so, as bullying is a deeply integrated hatred of my own .

[member="Darth Ferus"] again, you're essentially asking staff to handle ALL disputes. If it's not on the board(which is [member="Tefka"]'s personal property.) It's not really his or staff's issue to handle. Staff places faith in people doing the right thing because they don't have to time to monitor every PM or Skype conversation.

Darth Ferus said:
[member="Tefka"]

Lets say you get two new members. X and Y

X is a dirtbag. Likes to harass people. He meets Y -through- this site, and otherwise wouldn't of known Y existed in the first place. X harasses Y offsite due to Z, a friend of both X and Y, giving X Y's skype. But because X does not harass Y about anything on the site, X is free to do so. X takes it as far as making new skype accounts to harass Y even after Y blocks the initial one.

Y leaves the internet all together, too overwhelmed by the dirtbagery of X. He spends his days depressed because he's not like other people who can just deal with trolls online.

Does X get in trouble? The only connection to starwarsrp.net is that X met Y on the site itself.
If it's bad enough you're leaving the internet because of it - literally just throwing out your computer because it's so bad - you shouldn't come to us to solve the problem.

That's not our job.

That's the police departments job.

You don't go to a grocery store to purchase a tank, and you don't go to a Star Wars Roleplaying Site Staff Team about serious criminal harassment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom