Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Staff Critique - June & July 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
We usually do these monthly, but as the board slows down during the summer time (and given my tentative activity), I'm condensing the two summer months into this thread.

If you enjoy how Staff does things, please tell us what you enjoy. If you dislike particular decisions, please provide constructive criticism and relevant facts regarding these decisions. This can range from the Factory to Invasions to your every day role-play.

SWRP Members - keep it cordial. Remember you're criticizing fellow members of the community. Provide alternative solutions you believe to be viable - stating "I don't like it" or "People bully me" won't get you very far at all. However, you will continue to enjoy the usual immunity to disciplinary action for voicing your opinion here.

Staff Members - remain professional. Don't all hop together and like each other's posts when responding to a member. Don't "run the train", constantly backing each other in this thread. If one Staff member responds to an issue proposed by a member, that Staff member speaks for the entirety of the SWRP Staff Team. Remember, uniformity is key.

Since it's been clarified to the n'th degree that FJ's aren't staff, as a member allow me to applaud the actual staff on a couple points. First, professionalism toward faction bias. I love a good unbiased staff. Second, promptness in factory involvement.

[member="Thurion Heavenshield"] - Yes. Do more of it. You may be new at this Admin thing, but you're rocking out from all I can tell.

Also, give me my marketplace.

[member="Jorus Merrill"]

I agree with you, but I also disagree.

It's impossible to be unbiased. Staffers aren't machines, and I'm fairly certain that there are some factions they like more then another.

But that's why there's more then one staffer. To balance it out if you will. Is it perfectly balanced? No. Is it apparent that they're trying to stay unbiased? Yes. Does it always come across as such? No. And they are never going to seem unbiased to everyone, cause there will always be someone on the short end of the stick who feels like they've been mistreated.

Sometimes that's true though, but it's up to you to go to other staffers. That's what they're there for.

Now for my feedback, I see snide remarks unfitting of the group in charge of keeping things going smoothly here. Keep up professionalism. It's cool and all you can have some playful banter with some members you know, but to new members who happen along the post you're just going to look like an ass. And new people aren't going to want to go to you with problems they might have.

[member="Tefka"]

I think you have managed to build a great staff which has in essence built a great community around them. A++ I don't know you that well as I am new but I was impressed from Day One.

The staff has done a great job in the following, in my opinion: The re-activeness to Title Requests, The Factory Requests, overall the communication is solid. Even your interactions with the community are solid. Love it!

I cannot say anything negative about the Staff, RPJs or Factory Judges regardless of my PMs which all haven't been sunshine and puppies, but when is it ever? I was told how things were 'behind the scenes' and how much work has to be done besides administration and moderating. Call me a dirty nose or butt-kisser, that's fine but I am a realist. Give credit where credit is due, ya know?

I say the staff does a fine job, acts professional in my opinion and tells us what we need to know when we need to know it. Sometimes yeah, we don't like to hear it but hey, it is what it is.

So, to all the Staff, cause there are too many to tag....

Thanks for what you do. You've made a great impression on me, good times and in bad times. (I will call you out in bad times...*flees* Just sayin')

I will talk about but one thing: the changes. I would say that the recent staff changes have been really incredible. I would say it begun with [member="Tefka"]'s leave and [member="Kyra Sol"] geting the temporary head admin position. [member="Asterion"] and [member="Thurion Heavenshield"], the two staff members who I would say are fit for their current positions, have done well during this short time they have been on their positions.

The old staff members, like most of the time, have been professional, and I would personally say from the old people, [member="Valeria Aetani"] and [member="Sarge Potteiger"] have done exceptionally well during this month.

These few people who left the staff just recently (not necessarily in June, but even earlier) have been really great and should be remembered because of that.

Now... I hope you keep up the good work. And may everybody else be reminded, FJs are not staff.

EDIT: Also, I judge people only by what I have seen. Maybe the one I didn't mention have done more great work than anybody else, but I just haven't noticed it or I don't know what they have done. :)

Well, this I didn't know. Either way, Administration or Judge alike...any person who has color to their name does a good job in my opinion. ^_^

Matreya

Personally, I feel that if FJ are not to be staff, they should not be given that extra rank that bequeaths them with added respect, power and the like, ie being told dont argue with a FJ, but their not staff? By such, it legitametly makes them Staff with you guys just denying they are.

I think over all, the actual staff team (again as FJ arent staff :/) has been doin good. No real issues on my part. Save Sarge saying that anyone can be rude as long as its in private. If we can establish that this SHOULDNT be an unspoken rule then were all good.

Kasamann said:
Personally, I feel that if FJ are not to be staff, they should not be given that extra rank that bequeaths them with added respect, power and the like, ie being told dont argue with a FJ, but their not staff? By such, it legitametly makes them Staff with you guys just denying they are.

I think over all, the actual staff team (again as FJ arent staff :/) has been doin good. No real issues on my part. Save Sarge saying that anyone can be rude as long as its in private. If we can establish that this SHOULDNT be an unspoken rule then were all good.
We've established in a number of staff announcements that things such as Private Messages are just that - Private. Provided they adhere to site rules. Outside of the board, you are allowed to say what you want. I can't moderate Skype. I can't moderate your email. I can't moderate your cell phone.

So yes, if you want to be rude you can do it in private. This isn't a new concept or idea, and we've actively encouraged people to take their non-site-safe habits elsewhere. I throw 'being an arse' into that category as well. If you refuse to censor yourself, refuse to censor yourself elsewhere. That applies to everyone, staff, factory judge, member, whatever.

Also Factory Judges are community volunteers. As a volunteer taking time out of my day to help other members, I would like people to listen to me instead of argue. It's like being an RA at a college. You volunteer to do it, and while you're technically not staff at that school, you're held to a marginally higher standard than the students because you're nominally 'in charge.'

Matreya

Exactly, and by such they should be held to the same standards that an actual staffer would correct? Say an RA steals tech, or is caught harrassing another person, they are held responsible by the police and even further by the college as they worked for them. You may not be a part of the actual team of administrators but you work for them, and are generally treated in the same fashion they would be.

So yes, if you want to be rude you can do it in private. This isn't a new concept or idea, and we've actively encouraged people to take their non-site-safe habits elsewhere. I throw 'being an arse' into that category as well. If you refuse to censor yourself, refuse to censor yourself elsewhere.
As a staff of a site your supposed to be against this exact problem. Yet here, you welcome it. You encourage people to have problems, so long as its not on the site? No wonder we keep losing members with rules like that

Tefka said:
Whether or not we encourage it, it will happen. The SWRP Staff Team admits this reality, and *encourages* you to take it elsewhere if it begins to violate our rules.
Starwarsrp.net isn't a bar. You can't just look at two people and tell them to take it outside. You don't simply go "If it happens in PM, we don't care. Same for Skype. People wanna bully/harass/whatever, don't do it in public and we'll leave you be."

Correct me if I'm wrong about the interpretation, but that's what it's coming across as. And that's terrible.

There is a copypaste function on computers. They don't have to patrol it, but if someone feels like they're being harassed from a member from -this site- about -this site- they should be able to turn to the Staff with the logs and report them..

The vibe I'm getting right now is "Meh, your problem."

Matreya

Darth Vornskr said:
They can't patrol Skype like the Gestapo, PMs they can look at if an issue is brought up, but if it happens outside of the site there's not much they can do.
But thats the point. The leader of this site legitametly just said

Idc if your bullied. Take it elsewhere.

Post it as rule. See how many newcomers stay

Matreya

Tefka said:
Whether or not we encourage it, it will happen. The SWRP Staff Team admits this reality, and encourages you to take it elsewhere if it begins to violate our rules.
"Its going to happen. So instead of attempting to police our site and those involved in squabbles for our members safety, letting them handle it all is fine also."

Also id like to point out that unpatrolled bullying is the plot for like 300+ teen suicide movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom