Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion Should we remove the Major Faction system entirely?

Like I said, I believe just a couple of small tweaks could help shift the focus and culture of major factions drastically.

And I get heralded as the bad guy for confronting people over their statements. Were you just misspeaking then, that the opposite was being rewarded? Or do you think we only need to make a few minor tweaks. Those two are pretty mutually exclusive, and cannot be true at the same time.

And I get heralded as the bad guy for confronting people over their statements. Were you just misspeaking then, that the opposite was being rewarded? Or do you think we only need to make a few minor tweaks. Those two are pretty mutually exclusive, and cannot be true at the same time.

It's both. Right now my perspective is that thread counts are being rewarded, especially in dominions and the like, simply by thread count being the primary metric used. once the amount of posts is achieved, most of the time activity plummets and stories are abandoned. But i believe it would only take some minor tweaks to shift that dynamic... change the metric to something that rewards storywriting.

But if the input isn't helpful then i apologize, i'm not trying to bash the admins at all.

That requires I, or people I appoint, read your threads. I will not do that, I will not appoint people to do that. I also cannot expect people to self regulate, as they already have the option to finish the stories but consistently and collectively choose not to.

Chaos is a story of choice, and if we don’t judge by metrics, then we’re constantly forcing writers to do things they inherently don’t want to do.

I've read all the posts and from what I've seen I don't think this question has been answered:
When you ask about the Major Faction system do you include the map game into that system?

If so I'd say 'no'. As I think that removing the map would take something very special away from the site. Outside of Nation States rps there are very few, to be honest I haven't really seen many in a couple years that are forum based and not discord based, sites that facilitate a map game variant in any extent whether it be from player made factions or even static NPC groups that may only expand their borders at the leisure of the moderators.

I could go on to explain in depth why I think interactive factional maps bring a lot of vibrancy to a community but I don't think that'd be really necessary. Its evident due to Chaos being one of, if not the, largest daily active RP Forums out there and I don't think that is due to the lenient character creation rules or player submitted items/lore as those are things that many sites and groups have had for a long time. Rather a combination of all those features.

One hex minors sound cool. Add more map colors, lets see minors do more.

Edit:

Make the borders two tone. Fill and outline. Different color options. Ez
If I could jump off some of this idea...

Those minor factions who want to join the map could do so by possessing a single hex with reduced activity requirements/post minimums and members, etc. They'd get less 'perks' than what Major factions are afforded, but it would bring more unique stories/flavors to the table, while other minor factions that don't want to join the map game can choose to remain anonymous/in the shadows and keep doing what they're already doing.

Looking at some of the posts here has left me confused as to how the map game even works anymore. So many people are talking about reforming activity checks, but we haven't done any formal checks in months, right? I know that some factions are still acting like they have to rush to meet a post quota - I recently left a major because they were rushing for territory and posting a dozen threads in a single month that would burn out with stories left unfinished - but for other factions, those days are over and they aren't pretending it's still like that.

A few have also mentioned judging for threads, but I thought that function was done away with this past year in favor of letting factions work out the outcome beforehand (which was a decision I initially didn't like, because I felt like it would take away tension from not knowing what would happen - but I've since found it freeing, because I ultimately don't really care who wins lmao). Staff might step in if things get heated, but the new system seems to be working overall.

So, about that system reform... are we going to go back to having activity checks? Will the judges start judging invasions again? Please no, lmao. As for avoiding stagnation, maybe do a yearly check just to make sure factions aren't languishing and prune the inactive ones. Otherwise I dig the freedom and the more relaxed pace we have now.

Will the judges start judging invasions again? Please no,

As predicted, we’ve already had one instance where RPJs were requested in the MFO chat and it was denied.

Major Factions have been told that its not impossible to go back to how it was, but it’ll be at least another year+ before I even consider it. The old ways are dead, rest assured, unless they are literally begged to come back.

Edit: There’s a freezing hire on RPJs ever since the role was disestablished last May.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom