Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about Communication

I've talked with several people on here, and I'm wondering something that I've noticed about the way people communicate on here: who checks their PM box regularly?

In hindsight, I understand people use Skype a lot...if not more than the site itself :p I'm just wondering if I missed the memo and am the crazy nut person who only uses PMs xP I have a Skype account, but I use that more for if I need to rather than as the primary means of talking to people. I prefer letters and emails to chat rooms. Call me old fashion :p

I use PMs if I want to RP or just talk with people who don't have Skype or who I don't want to add or something... I want to keep my Skype contact list clean from people who don't have anything to do with me. Normally I use Skype to talk with people who are from the same factions or FJs. I rarely add other people.

I used Skype in the beginning of this community to communicate ideas more rapidly. A good group of friends that I game with are also on Skype. Also, Staff Voice Conferences have been detrimental in uniting Staff as a team and helps solve issues quickly.

However, I'm with Sarge. This community became a lot bigger than I expected and the weight of Skype became a bloated nightmare. I have to prioritize my time on it. I prefer the forum's PM system these days.

Tefka said:
I used Skype in the beginning of this community to communicate ideas more rapidly. A good group of friends that I game with are also on Skype. Also, Staff Voice Conferences have been detrimental in uniting Staff as a team and helps solve issues quickly.

However, I'm with Sarge. This community became a lot bigger than I expected and the weight of Skype became a bloated nightmare. I have to prioritize my time on it. I prefer the forum's PM system these days.
I can definitely see Skype being needed for Staff meetings. ~nods nods~

For now, I'll stick with PMs =) Maybe one day I'll share my Skype name.

Thank you all for your replies ^-^

I stick with PMs for most of my official RP business. I try to use Skype for casual chat with RPers I write with on the regular and plot details wont need fine hammering out. Tis a wiser choice to stick with your PMs. Especially since they are in a nifty thread-like format. Makes it easier to add multiple people and get whatever conversation you are having going.

@Tefka]

I'd like to lie and say that she wanted me to get it for some rather fun and interesting adventures, but that would be a lie. She wants me to get it mainly so that I can talk to my son. Sometimes I'm out of town for a few months or so. Last year, I think I spent a total of 4 months home with my family.

Though, I can't lie. Hawaii and Ireland were both nice places to visit, even if I spent 14 hrs a day working on the electrical systems that I was shipped there to install. Nothing like being home though.

Sarge Potteiger said:
Skype is the devil for RP boards

stick to using PMs

seriously, your life will be better off for it
I know boards who use Skype strictly and they're still afloat. Skype is better for fast communication IMO and just better all around :p

You're conjecturing.

I never said it would kill the board. I just said it makes things a lot more difficult. A lot of drama from skype seeps into the board.

It's the devil for RP boards, but it's hardly a silver bullet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom