What's new

Question about Communication

Vereaux

Mr. Dizzy Man
Writer
I've talked with several people on here, and I'm wondering something that I've noticed about the way people communicate on here: who checks their PM box regularly?

In hindsight, I understand people use Skype a lot...if not more than the site itself :p I'm just wondering if I missed the memo and am the crazy nut person who only uses PMs xP I have a Skype account, but I use that more for if I need to rather than as the primary means of talking to people. I prefer letters and emails to chat rooms. Call me old fashion :p

I use PMs if I want to RP or just talk with people who don't have Skype or who I don't want to add or something... I want to keep my Skype contact list clean from people who don't have anything to do with me. Normally I use Skype to talk with people who are from the same factions or FJs. I rarely add other people.

Administrator
Admin
I used Skype in the beginning of this community to communicate ideas more rapidly. A good group of friends that I game with are also on Skype. Also, Staff Voice Conferences have been detrimental in uniting Staff as a team and helps solve issues quickly.

However, I'm with Sarge. This community became a lot bigger than I expected and the weight of Skype became a bloated nightmare. I have to prioritize my time on it. I prefer the forum's PM system these days.

Vereaux

Mr. Dizzy Man
Writer
Tefka said:
I used Skype in the beginning of this community to communicate ideas more rapidly. A good group of friends that I game with are also on Skype. Also, Staff Voice Conferences have been detrimental in uniting Staff as a team and helps solve issues quickly.

However, I'm with Sarge. This community became a lot bigger than I expected and the weight of Skype became a bloated nightmare. I have to prioritize my time on it. I prefer the forum's PM system these days.
I can definitely see Skype being needed for Staff meetings. ~nods nods~

For now, I'll stick with PMs =) Maybe one day I'll share my Skype name.

Thank you all for your replies ^-^

Salvage Empire
Character
I stick with PMs for most of my official RP business. I try to use Skype for casual chat with RPers I write with on the regular and plot details wont need fine hammering out. Tis a wiser choice to stick with your PMs. Especially since they are in a nifty thread-like format. Makes it easier to add multiple people and get whatever conversation you are having going.

Shaco

The Croke
Writer
@Tefka]

I'd like to lie and say that she wanted me to get it for some rather fun and interesting adventures, but that would be a lie. She wants me to get it mainly so that I can talk to my son. Sometimes I'm out of town for a few months or so. Last year, I think I spent a total of 4 months home with my family.

Though, I can't lie. Hawaii and Ireland were both nice places to visit, even if I spent 14 hrs a day working on the electrical systems that I was shipped there to install. Nothing like being home though.

Helmut Todstern

Writer
Sarge Potteiger said:
Skype is the devil for RP boards

stick to using PMs

seriously, your life will be better off for it
I know boards who use Skype strictly and they're still afloat. Skype is better for fast communication IMO and just better all around :p

Sarge Potteiger

Half-Glimpsed Dreamings
Character
You're conjecturing.

I never said it would kill the board. I just said it makes things a lot more difficult. A lot of drama from skype seeps into the board.

It's the devil for RP boards, but it's hardly a silver bullet.