Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passive-Aggressive Godmoding

I just like to write and have fun. You spend time on this site long enough you find the people you enjoy rping with and against. If things get out of hand there is always that nice report button and let our betters decide who is right and wrong.

So I am going to god mod right now.

*Gives Delila a kiss then runs away* @[member="Delila Castillon"]

Moroi Wareyasui

Cocky Little Poohead
Count Aretine said:
This would be acceptable, as it puts the opinions within the context of the one stating them and doesn't explicitly state that Obi-Wan is objectively weak.
A clarification on this should probably find it's way in to the opening post. For example, the whole "descriptive nature" portion of the opening post I don't necessarily agree with. There is plenty of place for opinions, beliefs, morality, and ideals in descriptive prose, it's what separate our characters from being stick figures in a fighting game and being fleshed out people, it's not what you're intending say with the passage, but you're practically saying that every post should be completely mechanical in nature outside of dialogue and...I find that incredibly boring. I'd go play a fighting game if I wanted that little depth. You amend that later in your posts in the thread, but clarifying it in the OP would be rather beneficial and appreciated for people who haven't yet combed through all the responses.

The character and his beliefs, whether through dialogue or not, doesn't have to follow Wheaton's Law and in the post you should be more than allowed to express that, the execution should just phrase it for what it is, the point of view of the character. The next problem is that people are proud of their characters and when in any kind of confrontation, people will usually see passive-aggression even if it's not there. Both sides of this situation are incredibly prone to immaturity.

Solan Charr said:
So, youre saying we should bow to other writers and play characters of our own creation to their standards too, i will roll over and die before someone tells me how to play characters i have crafted in my mind and their personalities that control their actions. Thank you very much.
Better to do it than suffer the consequences. I'd rather not see you lose everything you love and enjoy on the forum in six weeks.

Some characters are asses, but have nice writers
Some characters are nice, but are written by asses
Some chars are nice, and have nice writers
But some chars are asses, and are written by asses.

Sometimes a well-meaning person can come off as endearing, spiteful, or sarcastic. Unlike when a person is speaking directly to you, you can't always tell how someone on the internet is voicing their words. In a way, the IC compared to OOC is similar to that. Back when Ven was alive, she was occasionally a bit cocky. However, OOC I know that a lot of people could have kicked her ass. But I do also believe that their are people she could have beat. It would have depended on the scenario. Calling someone weak IC has to be done right, so it doesn't seem like you're just spitting in their cereal.

For EX:
"A chuckle left her lips as she stared down at the apprentice. He was weak, pathetic. The fact that he had even managed to get into the academy at all was shocking."
Not good. If your char is an ass, it's fine for them to have bitchy opinions. But if you word it like that^ it might not go down so well. Something like this would be better:

"A chuckle left her lips as she stared at the apprentice. In her mind he appeared weak, perhaps even pathetic. The fact that he had managed to get into the academy shocked her. But maybe there was more to him then she had seen. However, she'd disapprove of him for now. 'Prove to me then, little one, that you deserve your position. Then maybe I'll give you the respect you want.' With that she ignited her blade."

Yes, it's a bit longer, but it makes it clear that it's IC feelings, along with saying that hey, I haven't seen you do much, prove it to me that you're strong, and I'll make sure to treat you as such. The first time you write with someone, you aren't likely to know to much about their character. So it makes sense that your char might have issues trusting, believing in, or understanding the other writer's character. Voicing that IC is fine. If it seems like someone is trying to make it clear that OOC they don't like you, your character, or your character's faction, try to give them the benefit of the doubt. If after awhile they keep doing it, say something, just be kind about it. Many of us have come off as assholes before without intending to.
I know I have. Hell, I have been an nerf herder quite a few times. But since I've realized that, I can try to limit how much it happens from then on. Though it's always good to have a friend around to throw gifs of kittens at you. Tends to calm things down, even in some pretty tense situations.

With that, I give you this:
newborn-kitten-gif.gif

Lord Ghoul

L
If I started reading a novel where the characters have 0 internal dialogue I would probably throw that book at the wall and stop reading it.

In the same way, writing a story without a character's thoughts and feelings plainly present is entirely unappealing.

Damon-Quotes-Season-1-damon-salvatore-34024814-245-150.gif

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Daella Apparine said:
But even then, I see people write out huge rebuttals against what another character says but it's presented almost entirely in the narrative. No only is it just this "passive-aggressive godmodding" but also the same as if the character said absolutely nothing.
This forever. I think this topic's more than a little overblown and uptight, but that bit right there...when that goes overboard, it's the most annoying thing in the world. Sometimes whole paragraphs of sneering superiority.

Isis Fontana said:
Everybody loves to claim I god mode, but if anyone were to actually look at any of the posts I make in threads they would see that I am one of the only ones on this board that take constant hits over half the time in every single thread I join....

If you all wanna call taking hit god modding then you might wanna have your brains checked for a tumor, or abnormality.
Dumbfounded.gif

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Count Aretine said:
Using language like this is a good way to create animosity between you and another writer.
Simple solution: Realize it's just a 'storybook' description and stop taking it so close to heart. Problem solved. If it has to get personal, the one feeling aggressed OOC is the one responsible for feeling that way, because it's just collaborative storytelling with the label "roleplaying board." No one can force any other individual to feel a certain way as we're in control of our own emotions.

In that respect, I'm guilty of "PAGM'ing" lol but I generally tend to use phrases like "it seemed" or "perhaps" to denote opinion or perspective. Honestly, though, it's not harmful if both writers understand that it's simply a story. It's usually just written a certain way for cinematic/emotional effect (immersion).

I think it is definitely possible to go too far with it. However, I don't think it's really that much of a problem at all.
Quantify it as an opinion as someone did above "His opponent seemed so feeble".

But really, does it matter? There's far more urgent RPing concerns than this. Let people write how they want. So long as it's not hurting someone or actual GMing, why bother?

@[member="Isis Fontana"]
I think he's commenting on the fact that you came out of left field to bring up something most people have never heard of, then made a silly declaration as to how good you were. Hmm, welcome back.

I apologize if I am out of line here (being new and all). I read through the thread and I can see valid points on both sides of the debate but I would have to agree with those that say it's not that big of a deal (and it's not "lazy writing"). The only time I could see this as being an issue is if people took it personally. If I understand the concept of online writing boards such as this, its to have an outlet for your creative side, correct? It's to create a universe that is your character and explore with them? Granted what you do with your character may upset someone else (especially if you are constantly thinking/speaking/acting like an a$$ towards said persons character). Ultimately however people have to understand there is a bridge between creative writing and writing to be an a$$. It takes two to tango. So long as the the writer of said cocky/arrogant character is doing it for strictly creative reasons (and not writing so he/she can just be a jerk) where as the receipient character of said comments/thoughts/actions is understanding it's all "in character" (as I have seen people say), then it should not matter.

And just for clarification: If you have a character that is constantly being a jerk/ass/douche'/etc. then be prepared to not have many people interested in them. Trust me, I know. Nothing worse than an editor saying they like a book with the exception of one character (who's the primary antogonist and a complete tool) :-/ You may have a bond with your own creation but others will not want to read or write with them.

Just my two cents. Again I apologize if I am out of line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom