Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passive-Aggressive Godmoding

Saera Willamina Savan

~+--- Skaidra ---+~ Beskarsmith, Alchemist
@[member="Elijah Francioux"] - I know exactly what you mean. It's frustrating when a character/writer actively goes out of their way to belittle or demean something about you or yours. There should be tasteful boundaries.

I wonder where I have seen that thoroughly done before.... *rolls eyes*

@[member="Tamara"] sure nobodies ever heard of it, I'd believe that if I wasn't approached by peoples asking why others claim I god mode and crap... but have it your way I guess.

Seir'ari

Twi'lek Slaver
@[member="Isis Fontana"]

Hun, it's totally ok. This thread wasn't made to attack anyone-- any personal case that you think this topic has against you isn't there. I know that getting called out on godmodding makes anyone worried and quick to assume that people are talking about them, but I promise that everyone here is speaking in generalizations and ideals.

The two examples that were dished are exactly the same, but served differently. Words are powerful.

Before ever going into a thread with another writer, discuss your ideas. Talk about the characters/threads. Never assume anything, and always be respectful and mindful of the individual you're writing with. Communication is sometimes the key to these sort of problems.

Mikhail Shorn said:
If I started reading a novel where the characters have 0 internal dialogue I would probably throw that book at the wall and stop reading it.

In the same way, writing a story without a character's thoughts and feelings plainly present is entirely unappealing.

Damon-Quotes-Season-1-damon-salvatore-34024814-245-150.gif
There are a few misconceptions here.

It's a false dichotomy to compare our games here to writing novels, because as I stated in my initial post, no single person has sole ownership of the editorial point-of-view. Anyway, to address some common misnomers I'm seeing here. People seem to think I'm saying two things:

- You can't write internal dialogue, thoughts or feelings in your posts.

- You can't write a character who is an arrogant douche.

I never actually said either of these things. Indeed you can do both. It's just that there are ways of doing both in good form, without godmoding and annoying one's fellow writers.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Alida Ember said:
Talk about the characters/threads. Never assume anything, and always be respectful and mindful of the individual you're writing with. Communication is sometimes the key to these sort of problems.
Where's the LikeBot h4x for this?

I'm pretty sure a guy with "Xenophobe" in his signature would have an arrogant, mean character.

As has been said over and over again, there is a clear and definite difference in the following two sentences:
The Sith against Daella had gone down a foolish, heretical path because of their worthlessness.

As Daella fought the Sith, she believed that he was worthless for following a, in her opinion, foolish and heretical path.

The second sentence is clear that the character believes that the Sith is worthless rather than the writer. It's far more polite to the writer of the Sith compared to the first sentence. That is the point behind this whole thread - to showcase how to have arrogant characters while being respectful to one's fellow writers.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Things I learned from this thread:
  • Don't be a dick
  • Competitive writing is not competitive. Nor does it need be distasteful.
  • [member="Supreme Overlord Dredge"] is awesome, if a little kinky

[member="Sam Jhovna"]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=nyP7lrkapik

Now I'm the king if the hoarders the galaxy V.I.P
I reached the top and had to stop and that's what's been bothering me!
I want to be the destroyer, everyone. To stroll right into town to see it burned to the ground
I'm tired of Yuuzhan Vonging around
Now don't try to run from me, galaxy I'll make a deal with you. What I desire is to set it all in fire to see my dreams come true!!

So give me the secret, galaxy clue me what to do. Cause I have the power to give you a death shower! So I can rule you!!

Ooh-bi-do I wanna murder all youuu~
I wanna burn all you stab all you~
You can see its true~ a Vong like me can learn to be a cruel overlord like meeeeee!!!
*takes a deep breath*

I got thinking about this some more, and I have to agree with @Tamara.

There are bigger fish to fry when it comes to roleplaying....like actual godmodding, not offshoots of it. Or drama. The last thing we need is to have a "proper narrative" so that people can better understand that when you're typing a post IC...everything you say should assumed to be in that character's thoughts.

"Oh, but he belittles my character! How ever shall I respond?" Don't. If what they're saying is in their head and not expressively written as the spoken word, and you're not using telepathy, your character should have no idea what they're thinking and only respond to their actions.

"But he wrote it like it was me." Congrats, this is where the drama starts. They said this, I say this, they get angry, I get angrier, we both go insane! The best advice I ever learned about OOC drama is this: who cares? So someone in the wide open world dislikes you and wants to openly discuss it, but at the same time hide it in what is basically an extension of their being's internal thoughts? Unless they're making threats at you, ignore the criticism and carry on.

"But OOC he treats me awfully." Same as above. For a large portion of us, Skype is where we hang out and talk. And the program has this nifty Block option, which is generally used as a last resort. Otherwise, tell a mod/admin if things get to a breaking point and usually they'll try and help calm things down. I'll say usually since my previous, non-Chaos experiences have me at a 50-50 when it comes to mods, but that's part of my ongoing problems anyway.

"Then what do I do?" Write like you normally do. Don't godmod. Don't call out the writer when you're both being the character. The 4th wall isn't meant to be broken unless everyone is a cat for some reason. Write your characters personality how you want to, and if something in a post is something you think is directed to you, not to your character, PM them.

We're a community of roleplayers, not a society of librarians. No one's perfect, but together we can make things just a bit better.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Why don't we passive-aggressively love instead? <3

"Dredge didn't know how much he was falling for Ashe... but he totally was, because she's good like that."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom