Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passive-Aggressive Godmoding

This is something I see relatively often, but I don't think many people realize they are doing it. I call it "passive-aggressive" godmoding. It's not blatant godmoding, but it is GMing nonetheless. I thought I would bring it to everyone's attention.

Descriptive text should be just that. It should be describing actual events, actions, or objective facts. Your character's thoughts, opinions, and beliefs are not objective facts, and thus have no place in the descriptive prose of play-by-post RPing unless they are either a) contained within a speech bubble, or specifically demarcated as a thought or opinion.

An example of passive-aggressive godmoding:

Darth Vader stared down his opponent from across the hall. He was astonished at how weak and feeble Obi-Wan had become after all their years apart. He knew he would be able to make short work of such a pathetic opponent.
Let's look at what's wrong with a post like this. "He was astonished at how weak and feeble Obi-Wan had become" - Is this objectively true? Maybe in Vader's mind it is, but it doesn't necessarily make it empirical fact. "Such a pathetic opponent" - again, Vader's own opinion. Using language like this is a good way to create animosity between you and another writer. Imagine if you were the writer of Obi-Wan. Would it make you too happy to read your character being trashed as though it were undisputed fact, without any input from you? Again, this isn't explicit godmoding - Vader isn't overtly landing hits on his opponent or dominating him physically. But it is still technically godmoding, because it is assuming something about another character is true, when it may not necessarily be. What's worse, the writer of Obi-Wan will typically feel obligated to write back an equally passive-aggressive reply, stating that it is not his character who is weak and feeble but Vader, in order to correct the perceived injustice. Thus perpetuating the cycle.

A better way to write the very same post and still convey the emotions present:

Darth Vader stared down his opponent from across the hall. "Your powers are weak, old man," He chided. "When I left you I was but the learner. Now I am the master."
Much better. Vader's feelings and opinions are contained within a speech bubble, so we know that they are just that - his opinions. They may indeed be true, but by containing them within speech, we're not self-righteously becoming the arbiters of truth and assuming they are because we said so.

Another example of passive-aggressive godmoding:

Obi-Wan stood with lightsaber in hand, facing Darth Vader. He shook his head at Vader's nonsensical babble; what a fool he had become. The ideologies of the Sith were indeed based upon pure stupidity.
This one specifically has to do with your character's beliefs. "What a fool he had become" - according to whom? Just because Obi-Wan thinks Darth Vader is a fool, doesn't necessarily make it so. "The ideologies of the Sith were based upon pure stupidity" - again, according to whom? This is Obi-Wan's opinion, not an objective truth. Who died and made your character the sole keymaster of what constitutes philosophical truth?

The same post, rewritten to remove godmoding:

Obi-Wan stood with lightsaber in hand, facing Darth Vader. He shook his head at Vader's taunts. "Only a master of evil, Darth."
We see Obi-Wan's disapproval of Vader's actions and beliefs, yet it is also clear that these are his opinions. It is up to the reader to decide what is objectively true and what is not. It can also be done without text bubbles. If you absolutely have to keep the line about the Sith's ideals being stupid, fine, but do it this way - "In Obi-Wan's opinion, the ideologies of the Sith were based upon pure stupidity." Let us know it is Obi-Wan who thinks these things and not the writer.

The point is this: as a writer on a play-by-post site in cooperation with other people, you unfortunately do not have sole ownership over what is objective fact like you would have if writing a novel. The only thing you own is your character. Because you do not have sole editorial point-of-view, you need to write your posts as if you were writing an essay (though hopefully it will be a less boring experience). You can't simply drop facts without citing sources - that's plagiarism at worst, and shoddy writing at best. Every time you write something that isn't a speech bubble or specifically noted as an opinion, think to yourself - is this objectively true? Can I back this statement up with empirical fact? Especially when it comes to fighting or dueling other characters. Maybe in some cases, where an Apprentice fights a Master, your character really is stronger, more powerful, or wiser than your opponent's. But the vast majority of confrontations and duels take place between relatively similarly powered characters of equal rank, thus these rules become pertinent.

Galaar Tal'Verda

Just one more butchered soul.
Okay- Most of a post is actually what a character thinks or his/her thought process. In the example of Obi-Wan if the character thinks that, its a truth to that specific character and can be denied rather easily by others like any attack and therefor is not godmodding, merely a thought. Attacking a character like that, saying that can't think a certain way because its 'passive-aggressive' godmodding is really just a low blow to the world of RP.

Galaar Tal'Verda

Just one more butchered soul.
For some players yes, for others its way to explain rationales and go in depth with their personality. Adding multiple factors into combat and the like, but, that's just me. I've also never had characters vehemently insult their foes. So eh..

I have always written like that... I think. And I have never though about it this way... :O With almost all of my characters, I use this way to describe how my character feels or thinks (even though I do it in third person perspective).

Oh, Force...

sabrina

Question on this, my character, will always consider. A non force user to be lacking, as she an elitist, which I consider a weakness.
So if she was faced with non-force user when she is fully trained, she would describe them badly, as part of her perception.

I also think people jump too easily to what "my character would do", as if they - the writer - are not in complete control.

It's extremely disappointing to see this sort of immature defensive mechanism that rivals "you made me do it!" and "it wasn't me!"

Again, easy excuses, bad writing.

I don't think there's an issue with writing how your character thinks in third person. I think the issue is people constantly putting it throughout the post. And I mean -constantly-

Darth Vader stared down his opponent from across the hall. He was astonished at how weak and feeble Obi-Wan had become after all their years apart. He knew he would be able to make short work of such a pathetic opponent.
That's not really okay. It's two sentences made to make the opposing writer feel small and weak. But.

He was astonished at how weak and feeble Obi-Wan seemed to have become after all their years apart.

It's still stating the characters thoughts in an RP. Nothing wrong with it, because it's not a definite description. Vader -thinks- Obi-Wan has become weak, but instead of Vaders writer constantly drilling it into the opponent by continuing on and on about how weak Obi -is-, it gives Obi's writer a chance to show Vader ICly that he is not as weak as he seems.

Not sure if that made sense. If it didn't, crap. If it did to someone who's better at explaining, explain away. Please. x3

sabrina

@[member="Tefka"] I am going have ask for help then, as can you give couple examples, how I can express my believe, that I am better than them. From the character perspective, with out falling into this trap?

Seriously?

You want people to correct how they write their characters thoughts and opinions based on empirical fact? What fact? A fact the author knows or the character? If its the author, that in of itself is godmodding, since you're using out of character knowledge to form an opinion of a character.

Ex: "X knew that Y was strong in the Force and truly knew how to handle a lightsaber, and that despite never meeting him before, he was strong despite his old age. Thus he Force pushed him away, and jumped away to safety."

That is godmodding. What is being brought to light is called power playing AKA diminishing another character based on OOC opinions. But writing a character's opinion or viewpoint is not power playing. A Sith who thinks highly of himself or herself is more likely to downcast their opponent; the same goes for Jedi, who look down upon Sith teachings. How are we to gauge what is a character opinion that is true to a character's personality and what is purely OOC power playing?

In addition, I will quote Urban Dictionary:

""God Modding" is in essence when someone’s character has the ability to do practically anything without limits or boundaries. And example is when they simply cannot be harmed by any and all means other RP-ers try.
-It can be killing or injuring a character without the player's express permission.
-It can be when they simply can’t be hit and dodge all attacks or anything for this matter aimed at them.
-It can also be using other characters that other people RP with. In other words, if you do not RP as
Legolas, then you cannot have Legolas say anything, or do anything, without the player's express permission.

The absolute worst is when they make out another character to be what they’re not, just to make their own character seem superior. They make others seem weak, screaming for help, when they’ve made it quite clear about their advantages and strengths. This is called power-play. It’s a strain of God-Modding, but instead of just being irritating, it’s offensive to boot."

Tefka said:
I also think people jump too easily to what "my character would do", as if they - the writer - are not in complete control.

It's extremely disappointing to see this sort of immature defensive mechanism that rivals "you made me do it!" and "it wasn't me!"

Again, easy excuses, bad writing.
No, separating yourself from your characters is more mature than not. It means you know OOC and IC dont mix and if a character would do something that the other party doesnt like then there is no reason to say its immature. Its basically saying that their character would do this in that situation, i play my characters as if they are separate entities from my own being, and as such are not bogged down by my limits of what my char would do. If i had my char massacre a entire city with a ship from orbit, BECAUSE, it fit his history and story, as well as his base personality then i have no problem doing it. It is not an immature defense mechanism, it is distancing yourself from your characters.

Tefka said:
If you wanna roll around believing you're better than other people, just do it. Lol.

But my question is - why do so many damn characters think they're better than everyone else?
HUMAN FETHING NATURE. Humans and other species, as well as us in real life, naturally compete and have a confidence that we are better than others, its human nature...

sabrina

@[member="Tefka"] she only thing`s she better than, non force users, as she has a believe that force users are galaxy choosen elite, the rest are their to serve. She think`s of them as pet`s.

will be editing in sec with a filler post being copied in.

sabrina

Sabrina was board the cruiser again, checking her rifle, and pistol, she new it had finally come. She had fight for the enemy, for greater good, as when serenno rebel`s. Other worlds will may see the way, and throw of these brutes. Then hopefully the mandalorians will, will realize they should serve the sith, as the true power of the galaxy. Then again they maybe too stupid to realize, this fundamental mental truth, force user are the galaxy chosen one`s.
As she was sitting their, the order came through, they where to deploy into the drop ship`s and wait. She hated being order around, by lesser being`s, she hated waiting as well. The was one thing she liked about this experience though, with the mandalorians, they where a family, and she respected that. They also have honour, they have a code, and they hard fighters. If they had the force, truly on their side, they be unstoppable. They really need to know, they should server her masters, they get everything they want, and need. Then galaxy would have, peace and order, they could enforce it.

@[member="Tefka"] this a recent post, more directed as mandalorians as a whole not individual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom