Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Of Fallen Stars | The Confederacy

Purp-Dranq.gif
Tag: [member="Genesis Rostu"]​
The brush of those fingers across her cheek made her feel weak. She couldn't stop herself from turning her head to gently press her lips against his palm as she closed her eyes and breathed the scent of his skin for a moment, feeling the warmth of him against her face. She could remember so many times where just these steady hands and his calm voice were what kept her grounded, what stopped her from drifting off to something new when she needed to stay present, stay focused. It seemed fitting now that when she needed to focus the most it was these hands that were making it so difficult. His joke managed to cut through the moment, however - and she found herself laughing a touch as she turned her face back towards him and leaned her cheek into his palm for just an instant while she flashed him a genuinely pleased smile.

"Just one week I forgot to pick you up your damned caf and we had to survive off tea and I swear you'll never let me live it down..." She righted herself and left that warm palm and those pleasant memories behind as she brought herself back to where they sat now - back to what he'd said a moment before. "If you can agree to those terms, using my new name and taking this slowly... Then I think perhaps I can be convinced to give us another try." Her voice was calm as she said it, the remnants of that smile he'd managed to bring forward still sitting at the corners of her lips. Her hands gently squeezed the one of his she held again before she released him and glanced down to her discarded shoes and champagne flute.

"I don't suppose you'd be interested in helping me carry my shoes out of here, and making me look good at whatever is left of this festival?" She lifted sky blue eyes to meet his own as she smiled at him, nothing guarded there behind that gaze. It seemed that, so long as he was being genuine with her, she would be willing to let the remainder of the evening be a trial run - to see if perhaps they could make another go at they'd once had. It was an opportunity that she couldn't imagine letting slip through her fingers... The Viceroy couldn't imagine letting him slip through her fingers.

- Location -​
[Capital City Fountains And Celebration Vendors]: ‘Artemesia’s Solace’ fountain
- Appearance -​
- Status -​
Interacting with: [member='Carbon'], [member='Maur'], and [member='Kaden Farr']​
[[OOC Note]]
If you choose to interact, please know my replies will be very slow as I am still sick. Thanks for your patience! <3
hotpurp.png

“Well, you were right, Mr. Carbon,” Vyra admitted, beaming encouragingly at her fascinating companion. Her appreciation for his discretion at the mention of her station was obvious. A million questions were poised to spring from her lips the moment she opened them, but she fought them into submission. “Conversation is the lifeblood of all gatherings…and not usually something I shrink from. You’ve caught me on an off-day, it seems. Most days I have too much to say.”

A fleeting glimpse of shadowed eyes under the mask set her curious mind aflame. “I’d much rather listen this evening,” she enthused, but not too much, as she set her shoulders slightly towards Carbon and mirrored the casual clasp of his hands. “Tell me, how did you come to—”

But, alas, she’d have to sit and wonder a bit longer. Their little alcove had suddenly grown..busy.

“Cheering up? We certainly don-- Oh!—” She half chuckled, accepting the pint thrust towards her with bright surprise. She was careful not to spill any on her gown as she readjusted her grip on the extra wide goblet. “How kind of you both, thank you!” Vyra did a quick study of the attractive man called Kaden in front of her, offering his towering Togorian colleague Maur an appreciative smile. “My name is Vyra, it’s a pleasure to meet you both,” she said simply, remembering Carbon’s caution over her titles earlier. “I’d been wondering what they were serving tonight. Though, I assure you, I was having a marvelous time already,” she finished with a gracious nod at Carbon. Would he take the drink offered by the duo?

“Please, sit, join us!” Vyra gestured at the benches near the fountain before reaching into the small purse at her wrist and producing a tiny vial of bright green liquid, which she discreetly poured into her drink. “I’ve been told the dancing is wild and the food is magnificent tonight, but I’ve heard nothing of the drink yet.” She swirled the liquor a bit, watching with content as the emerald substance turned white before vanishing into its depths. Only then did she hold the goblet aloft in cheerful toast and take a delicate sip. “Mm! What is this?”

Objective: Socialization
Tags: [member="Kaden Farr"], [member="Maur"], [member="Vyra Silara"]

He was thankful she wasn't in her normal mood. So far as first interactions went, having her ask too much was certainly not high on his list of expectations or wants. And yet, the first question didn't even get to leave her lips before they were joined by an inebriated fellow. Carbon turned his lenses towards Kaden, sizing him up immediately; same height, same build. Definitely drinking, like the two pints in his hands weren't obvious enough. He couldn't even begin to guess what species of alien Maur was, but in the end he imagined it didn't matter. Humanoid enough, he supposed.

Eyeing the pint for a moment, he placed one gloved hand, fingers splayed, over the front of his mask while the other took hold of the straps at the back. Pulling front and back away from each other, the mask was lifted and set aside, revealing a squared face with a wide jaw. Bushy brown brows sat atop two eyes under which were bags that were more genetic than acquired through any kind of exhaustion. But his eyes were, easily, his most striking feature. They were pitch black the whole way through, glistening in the dim light of the party. A gift from his Father, really - twin slices of the void, twinkling stars and all, cut from the heavens and placed upon his face.

Peeling back the rubber skullcap to let his scalp breathe, revealing a buzzed head with a stubble of dark hair, he finally took hold of the pint and peered into it's depths for a moment, curiosity writ into the furrow of his brow.

When Vyra added something to her drink, he was momentarily concerned it was a poison, then realized it was likely a medicine of some variety. "Carbon," he replies, introducing himself while holding the pint like one would hold a cup of hot cocoa you wanted for warmth not sustenance, "thank you."

After a moment, he gave the pint a whiff and took a careful sip, nose crinkling at the taste. Who drank this stuff for fun?

"You will find Vyra far more sociable than myself." He and his clone companions were still the only ones at the party armed, so far as he knew. Even if they were just sidearms. "But your company is welcome all the same."

The Lyceum

Djonas was in an odd position he did not expect to find himself in. Not this soon upon arriving, anyway. Two women he did not know had him flanked on both sides, locking him down into his seat. They seemed to know him and, by the look of them, he had some ideas what it was they brought them to him. For now, he played along with their charade to see exactly where it would go.

"You know me, eh? Well, ladies, what can I do for ya?" Djonas asked, followed by a slight smirk.

"Yes, sir." the brunette responded. "You're the owner of Bittie Land, right? Of course you are. Only a man with your swagger could own such an amazing place."

"You ladies know Bittie Land? Heh. You don't really look like the type to know of such places."

"Looks can be deceiving, sir." the blond replied. "Anyway, we were wondering..."

"Wondering if you could get some kinda VIP treatment?"

"Actually, sir, we want to work there. My friend and I are great dancers and are looking for a job. We're desperate sir and when I noticed you here, we could not hold ourselves back from you."

"Really? Not what I was expecting. Well, ladies, I'd love to help but I'm not here for business. I'm here for pleasure. But, if you two come down to the club later this week, I'll get you settled in. Deal?"

The girls squealed and hugged the Thyrsian, nearly tackling him onto the bed. "Thank you so much, Mr. Vile!" the ladies said in near unison.

"Please, call me Djonas. Please." Djonas said with an awkward laugh as the ladies walked away. "Damn. Gotta be careful where I show my face these days I suppose." At that moment, another blonde caught Djonas' eye. "Woah." he exclaimed quietly. He avoided making direct eye contact, not wanting to scare her off, but he was able to get a good look at her. Younger girl. Not one he seen before. He rose from his seat and slowly began to approach but not directly. He did not want to appear like someone stepping up to the girl like those girls ran up to him.

Like a hyenax in the brush, he slowly moved towards his target.

Just before he got to her, however, a large man in a suit walked up to Djonas and whispered something into his ear. This was one of Djonas' bodyguards informing him of a recent development. "Yeah? Really? Aight, thanks." The bodyguard stepped away and Djonas took a few more steps until he was just a couple feet before this girl. "You get a good look at that? I promise I had no idea who those girls were, by the way. Not my type. Too...much. You know? I'm Djonas, by the way. Djonas Vile."

[member="Alwine Lechner"]

Genesis Rostu

G
Tag: [member="Valencia Hadley"]​

Slow.

The heart would always remember that which was fondest. And as they sat together within the gardens, the Grand Marshal found himself recalling the last time her lips graced his hand like this. It was a night unlike this one...except far too much champagne had been consumed by them both. Beside firelight, they leaned into one another's embrace and Valencia saw fit to kiss his hand. The touch caused heat to rush to his cheeks both then and in the present; and Genesis found himself smiling as she leaned her cheek into his palm as well. Valencia always found comfort in his touch - and Genesis always found happiness in her presence. The balance was...beautiful.

When the woman spoke again, excitement bubbled within the pit of his stomach. She wanted to go slow. To ensure that, despite so much time passing, their love was the same as it had been. And Genesis slowly moved his head up and down in affirmation. He did he absolute best not to appear too eager or too quick to react - especially since pace was at the foundation of the discussion. But, as she concluded her thoughts with the request of his holding her shoes, a low chuckle escaped him. "Now that is going to cost extra." he jested, before leaning forward. His lips gingerly brushed against her own, capturing them in a brief kiss.

And once the world righted itself, he reached for the shoes. "We can go as slowly as you'd like. Now, I'd be more than happy to make you look good at whatever is left of this festival...or we can get lost again and catch up some more. We've missed so much..." And starting now, they wouldn't miss another moment.

Purp-Dranq.gif
Tag: [member="Genesis Rostu"]​
She'd leaned down to snatch up her discarded golden heels, and as she righted herself she watched as the Grand Marshal leaned in. There was only an instant before his lips brushed against hers, but in that second her eyes seemed pleased; there was a peace there when he was with her, and his lips on hers felt a bit like home. The Viceroy lifted her free hand to gently press her palm to his cheek as he pulled back, keeping him there a moment longer as her eyes met his again, pale blue searching for an instant before she released him, having found what she'd been looking for in that fleeting bit of eye contact.

The shoes were handed over without complaint when he reached for them, Valencia shifting along the stone bench as she slid to her feet and extended her hand to help him up. As often as he'd been her arm to hold, she'd been his - and their relationship, if it were to be as it had been, would be equal. It was another good sign that she was extending her grasp to him, just as she'd always done, just as they'd always done. "Thankfully I have a lot of room in my shoe carrying budget."

Her smile was dazzling in that warm, low light. The dimples like tiny black pits in her cheeks as she used his hand in hers to help get him to his feet on the uneven grass. Once he was righted, she slid her arm around his as she was oft to do and turned back to the path they'd come from... Or perhaps it was the path they'd been traveling? She was suddenly confused once more, that smile fading a touch around the edges.

"I think perhaps we are going to remain lost in this maze for the evening... Whether it was my preferred option or not."

Wearing: Dress
Tags: [member="Djonas Vile"] + Feel free to join

xVXAam.png

Alwine was a Lupine, and being a Lupine came with certain perks. For instance, her hearing was metahuman, allowing her to hear things from a much greater distance and much lower volume than many of those she served the Confederacy with. And much of that short dialogue, simply had Alwine rolling her eyes hard.

Many people claimed to never judge. Alwine was not part of these many people; she judged, and harshly so. Additionally, she believed all those people were pretty much no more than bad liars. Everybody judged. And while neither of those actively participating in the conversation said what Bittie Land was, it did not take a genius to figure it out.

She continued to stare at the man, who now had a name – Mr. Vile – never hiding the predator's look that was upon them. He thought he did not seem to be coming directly to her? Oh, she knew such tricks. There was nothing new about them, and if her looks made him feel uncomfortable? She did not care.

At last, he grew the pair needed to come and speak with her, going on a limb to explain that those girls were not his type. Alwine was obviously not impressed by the statement.

"On the contrary," she answered, "they seemed to be exactly your type. Executor Alwine Lechner," she added her name with her title among the Knights Obsidian. If he'd dare to as much as offer her a similar position, her rank would be more than enough to let him know she could guy him from groin to nose where he stood.

The Lyceum

Oh. She was cold. Ice cold. Djonas would need to rethink his tactics quickly. And change the subject as well.

"A fellow knight, I see. An Executor at that. Interesting. I was almost one of you. However, I left that lifestyle behind long ago. Such brutality for brutality's sake. Had to make a change to better myself. The Adjudicators offered me that change and I took it." he responded followed by a soft smile. "Pleasure to meet you, Executor Lechner."

Djonas took a moment to look around before returning his gaze to Alwine. "No offense, Executor, but this does not seem like the place one would find someone such as yourself at. Most Executors I've met spend nearly every waking hour training, hardening their bodies for battles to come. Not saying you aren't already a battle-ready warrior. That remains to be seen."

Wearing: Dress
Tags: [member="Djonas Vile"] + Feel free to join

xVXAam.png

Brutality for brutality's sake? Alwine glared at the statement. The man had obviously no idea what he was speaking of. Alwine and both of her brothers were all Executors. Her brothers had been Warriors on Stewjon, long before any of them even knew what the Confederacy was. All three, on top of that, were Lupines; shifters, between wolves and human. And yet none of the three never extracted brutality for brutality's sake. Certainly, Alwine often pondered on why it was that she felt nothing when she took a life, whether it was in self-defense or as part of the job, but that did not make her needlessly brutal.

"So instead of being a blade, you have become a builder," she said once he was done speaking, giving a single nod. Perhaps not the pervert brute she thought he was, though builders could be perverts all the same. "What project are you currently working on?" And quickly explained what she was asking about, "with the Knights Obsidian, not with your facility of degenerate depravities."

Then there way the last bit remaining. "A true Warrior takes care of more than their bodies. The soul must be attended to as well, and this includes fulfilling the requirements of rest and down-time as well. I would nothing by working myself to death or sleeping when I am not. Socializing is an important aspect of the mind-body connection."

And she was not entirely certain she wanted to be a Warrior at all. But that was not for this conversation.

Genesis Rostu

G
Tag: [member="Valencia Hadley"]​
For just a moment...all was right in the world.

As their lips came to meet, Genesis felt as though they were back where they had begun. When his eyes lulled to a close, for the briefest of moments, the maze of hedges melted away from his awareness. The chirp of the crickets...the mutest music and chatter from the festivities...all fell by the wayside as his arms moved to bring her closer. He felt, in truth, like he was Home. The thundering of his heart in response to her touch. The way her lips danced upon his own. All was a reminder that the love they shared had stood the test of time. Yes, they would need to tread softly now...but at least they would be stepping together. When their lips parted, Valencia's gaze found his own and a genuine smile formed upon her lips. Her happiness was infectious, and in a moment's time he too offered a toothy grin in return.

He soon found himself the guardian of her shoes and raised his hand to accept her offer. The dynamics of their relationship were very egalitarian. Very modern - much to the distaste of the Hapen representative Valencia once worked for. If it were up to that old crone, Genesis would have been literally a mobile walking mat for his companion. And, while the Viceroy did make jokes about that, their relationship never resembled anything but perfect balance. There was no "power struggle." No "roles." They just...were...and Genesis preferred things to be that way. "Well, I'm glad that you can still afford me." he quipped, before reaching out. His arm gingerly drew her closer, where he then graced her brow with his lips momentarily.

And as Valencia remarked about getting lost, his pocket buzzed. The light in the clone's eyes faded for just a moment. The Viceroy would know that the clone prided himself on being her perfect accessory during outings. That all devices were either off or dead silent...unless in the case of an absolute emergency. That trend applied to this day. His fingers dove into his pants pocket and produced the device which projected an azure hologram. A uniformed officer stood upon the disc, saluted, and relayed his message. "Sir, we've reports that a civilian vessel was attacked. By the New Republic." That vein of tension erupted into being upon the clone's brow.

"Understood. I want Storm Armada ready to respond yesterday." The hologram saluted once more and the communication ceased. Genesis stuffed the disc back within his pocket...and Valencia would see firsthand the sole changes that had taken place within her lover over the years. Once before, his work never made it upon his face. He was a cold and effective killer. A soldier who blindly took orders at the expense of everything. But now? Now he was...Human. A human capable of feeling. Of hurting. Of having things to protect. He settled his sable eyes upon her and gingerly trailed his fingertips upon her cheek. "It seems my dance card will be...fuller very soon. Stay with me until I have to go?"

He had never taken her aboard a warship. But if she accepted...that was exactly where they would be going.

Vidalu Na'an said:
Attire: Working Wear
Tags: [member="Otor Blank the II"]

Na'an stiffened, her mouth tightening into a thin line. On the surface, this line of questioning seemed like a concession--hell, Noba would likely be thrilled someone was asking business questions that could lead to a trading contract. But the look in the Belugan's eye hadn't changed at all. If anything, he was now dead-set on following this line of thinking right back to her, somehow.
She had to play it cool. Keep this professional, no matter how rude this squid got. He was, for all his lack of manners, still her better.
"Our operation is small, but many of our shipments range widely out of the sector," she said, focusing on keeping her voice light. "It's surprisingly easy for a single freighter to slip through Sith space unmolested, if you know what you're doing."

She bent momentarily to retrieve another tray from under the table. When she straightened, she placed the tray--thick with still-warm cheese tarts--in front of the Belugan with a firmness bordering on aggressive. "My associates and I know what we're doing. So Ms. Noba determined that the potential of this event were worth any additional costs. How are the seafood rolls treating you, Sir?"
Wearing: This saucy number
Tag: [member="Vidalu Na'an"]

When Adelle returned to the tiled floor of the Lyceum, she halted briefly at the entrance. The number of revelers seemed, well, more than she had assumed. With so many species and droids present, she wondered how she would find Na'an in all of it. The woman had a frustratingly good knack for not being seen when she wanted. Adelle tried to push out of mind how ridiculous she looked standing on tiptoe trying to see over numerous heads as she wandered through the festival's main dining area. Plenty of fancy caterers carried trays to different tables, laden with drinks, entrees, hors d'oeuvres, and desserts while a near-literal army stood sentinel behind tables proffering still more food. And all of them were wearing a professional black. Adelle nearly ran a hand through her hair from the sheer frustration before she realized she put her brown hair up in a loose bun at the nape of her neck. Raking her fingers through her hair would just make her look worse than she already probably did.

Finally, among the line of stalwart, black-attired statues, Adelle caught sight of one with a severe bun and an eyepatch. That had to be Na'an. A large being of aquatic descent stood in front of her and Adelle caught a glimpse of Na'an's face as she walked over. Her organic eye seemed made of steel. Whatever conversation was happening was not pleasant. Her interruption might prove timely.

Or at least, more welcome than the current patron.

Ignoring the patron, Adelle slipped behind the table and walked up behind Na'an, making no pretense of subtlety. The gift, she had realized, might not be received if offered. Na'an did not, of her own volition, wear anything most considered feminine or delicate. Adelle would simply have to leave no choice. She walked up behind Na'an.

"Hold still," she commanded. Gently, she placed the necklace over Na'an's head and around her neck, making sure the clasp was secure before she released the thin chain. Adelle stepped to the side to judge her handiwork. Na'an would protest, she was sure, but it wasn't a bad look at all.

"There. Now you look polished," she said.

Wanderer Lost, Wanderer Found
Tags: [member="Otor Blank the II"], [member="Adelle Bastiel"]

Adelle Bastiel said:
"Hold still."

Na'an about jumped out of her skin at the quiet, feminine voice at her ear. Not because she didn't recognize it--she could likely pick out Doc out of a crowded room if she was listening for her--but because Na'an had all but had her back to a wall during this entire catering job. When had Adelle gotten back there?
Before she could turn, she felt gentle hands at her neck. Na'an stilled, waiting as a small weight came to rest somewhere just below her collarbone, then reached for it. Whatever Adelle had placed on her, it ended in something star-shaped, with bumps and ridges that reminded her oddly of the facets of a lightsaber crystal.

...a gift.

Oh, hells. Here she was bickering with the galaxy's rudest squid, and Adelle was spending her free night trying to make things easier. If things kept up like this, Na'an was going to ruin her whole night. She sighed, then cast her eyes around the room. There was one of the building's kitchen staff loitering near the kitchen door--a Keshian smoking a death-stick. Rather than turning to Adelle first, Na'an spun away from the squid and went for him.

"That's a filthy habit," she said, plucking the death-stick from between his fingers. She dropped it under her heel, ignoring the Keshian's squawks of protest, then fixed him with the most pleading smile she knew how to manage. She even batted her eyes at him, knowing the gesture looked ridiculous with only one eye. ​"Look, you'll get the same effect by talking to that guy over there, I promise you. So, mind filling in for me while I take a quick fifteen?"

The Keshian just glared at her. So flirting her way out of this wasn't going to work, as expected. Time for plan B. Na'an jerked her head back towards where she knew Adelle was still standing, watching the Keshian's eyes follow the movement to her. "I'll put in a good word for you, mate," she said as his eyebrows rose in appreciation.

That was all the Keshian needed. He sidled past her to take her place at the table, leaving Na'an to grab Adelle by the hand and pull her away from the gods-forsaken table. If the Squid was so damn fascinated by her and her eyepatch and her oh-so-mysterious scars, he could wait until she'd had a breather and could deal with him without wanting to scream.

"You have no idea how much I needed to get away," she said as she angled for the farthest empty corner of the Lyceum she could see. "I really don't see why rich people think they can be so rude to people like..." She turned back to get a look at her friend for the first time that night, and the the words on her lips died. Where had Adelle Bastiel been hiding a dress like that? Gods, no wonder the Keshian had immediately complied at the sight of her.

"Like...uh, well, I guess like just me tonight."

Purp-Dranq.gif
Tag: [member="Genosis Rostu"]​
He'd changed... But in truth, so had she. Nothing would have pleased her more than to accompany her companion through the maze for the remainder of the evening, catching up and sharing in on so many years of lost time. The ease with which he could make her smile, make her laugh; she missed that. It would have been exactly what she'd wanted out of the invitation she'd extended to the Grand Marshal - but it was also not to be. When his pocket began to protest, she stepped back to give him space, a frown creasing her lips when she too heard the relayed message from the hologram it had produced. Without thought, she reached forward and gingerly took the glimmering shoes from his hand while he was otherwise engaged. They slid easily onto her feet, and she pointedly ignored the screaming protest from her calves as she was elevated onto her toes once more.

When he returned the disc to his pocket, she reached for the hand that had done it. Her eyes were alight with a heat that would likely match his own - for both of them now had a duty they needed to attend to. His fingers gently brushing her cheek were infinitely sweeter and more intimate than she imagined he could be in that moment, and it forstalled her tugging him towards the entrance of the hedge maze. She stared at him for a long moment and then offered a smile, it was worried and a touch tired, but genuine none-the-less. "I would stay with you always, if we could manage it, Gen. But right now we need to get to your ship, and you need to drop me off on Genosis on your way to Kuat. I'm not sure what that was about, but I can only imagine that I've got a message waiting for me back at my ship, and the Viceroyalty will need to convene as well."

Her voice was calm but the light in her eyes was not. If that had been true?... She needed to get going - and he was about to be put in harm's way. There was little time now for pleasantries or dallying. It had been a mystery to her moments before where the exit was, but with the adrenaline rushing through her now, she could quite clearly recall what her champagne hazed mind could not. She held his hand tightly as she turned and began to march back the way they had come, hoping she wouldn't need to drag him.

The Lyceum

A brief moment of shock came upon Djonas. She couldn't have been talking about Bittie Land, could she? How she knew of it was unknown to him. As quickly as the shock came, it went away. "And this affair is much better with your presence, Executor." Djonas then turned his attention to her question.

"Well," he responded, "I am currently working with the others to form a universal schooling system utilized by the Confederacy. Something that will not only educate our youths, but will empower them to go forth into this cold and dark galaxy and bring some light to it. They are our future. They deserve that much at least. I have other plans but, without the aid of my fellow Adjudicators, things are moving rather slower than I had hoped." A passing waiter, holding a plate holding several glasses of champagne. Djonas quickly retrieved two and held one out to Alwine. "And you? How goes things with the Executors? Liberate any villages lately? Defeated a band of slavers? I'm rather naive to recent Executor operations."

[SIZE=11pt]Na’an sighed and walked away.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]That wasn’t the reaction she was hoping for. Adelle opened her mouth to call after her friend but Na’an had already disappeared into the crowd. Well kriff. She’d hoped the gift would’ve cheered her up a bit. Her shoulders sagged a moment but she straightened them. Hoping for anything more than whatever that reaction was had been futile. Adelle raised a hand to rub the back of her neck but remembered her bun in time. She blew a sigh in the general direction Na’an had walked off in. Well, she supposed she’d go back out and enjoy the festival.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Then Na’an grabbed her wrist and pulled her away from the catering tables as someone else took Na’an’s spot. Adelle smiled wryly as the smaller woman talked while walking. Na’an could do many things, but she could not suffer fools well.[/SIZE]

"You have no idea how much I needed to get away," she said as she angled for the farthest empty corner of the Lyceum she could see. "I really don't see why rich people think they can be so rude to people like..."
[SIZE=11pt]As Na’an trailed off, Adelle furrowed her brow in confusion. Was there something wrong with her dress? Had she spilled food on it? Gods forbid that happening, she’d never be able to clean the fabric herself. But that couldn't be it. Na'an would have told her before now.[/SIZE]

"Like...uh, well, I guess like just me tonight."
[SIZE=11pt]What did that—Oh. Adelle fought the flush creeping up her cheeks as Na’an just so casually tossed out a compliment. That was . . . Had Na’an ever complimented her in so many words? Had she missed others? No, probably not. Na’an was just being Na’an right now: self-deprecating, venting, and trying to be a little light-hearted.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]But she hadn’t removed the necklace.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Adelle scoffed, choosing to deflect any further remarks about her appearance. “Please, they’d treat me just the same if I’d been there. Entitled kriffers are rude no matter what you wear.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]She had to say it. Na’an needed to hear it. It wouldn’t be easy, but Adelle had to say it. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]“I . . .” she started. “Thank you. I know . . . I mean, what you’re doing right now, I know it’s . . . you’re trying to help me. And I know you hate it. So . . . thank you.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Enough of that. She didn’t need to sound so much like an awkward teenager that can’t properly show gratitude.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]“Hey, listen, when you’re done at the tables, come find me and we’ll have some drinks.” Adelle grinned mischievously. “I’ll be on the dance floor, if you’re brave enough.”[/SIZE]

Tags: [member="Adelle Bastiel"], [member="Otor Blank the II"]

"If I'm brave enough?"

Na'an cocked her head to one side, her good eye wide with mock innocence. "Oh, dear, I didn't realize dancing was so dangerous....come on, Doc. Out of anywhere in this whole damned party, a dance floor is probably the one place I'm least intimidated by."

And it was true, after a fashion. Three years in the care of a Nal Hutta slave dancer would do wonders for anyone's performance anxiety, even in a place as stiflingly, overwhelmingly fancy as this. Na'an cast a quick glance at the floor itself, which was dotted with richly-dressed couples moving in slow, stately circles, and snorted. It was a far nicer stage than she had ever been given--she would have to take care not to scuff the marble--but it seemed unlikely that any of them would be interested in highlighting how little she matched their finery. If anything, she suddenly realized, she could probably pass as a rather well-dressed boy, if none of them looked closely. There was something oddly liberating to that--not the thought of being a boy, but the idea that as long as nobody could tell exactly who she was in this suit, she could do anything she wanted.

"Especially this one. If only they'd play something decent," she mused. "There's no life to any of it. Like watching a wind-up toy."

It was then when she got the idea and, bolstered by her sudden revelation, decided to roll with it. She turned back to Adelle, her eye bright.

"What do you know," she said, "About Hutt music?"

Lyceum

Mischief gleamed in Na'an's eye even as she feigned innocence. Adelle couldn't recall seeing that sort of expression on her partner's face. She raised her eyebrows and folded her arms across her chest. It was hard to imagine the reticent, often aggressive woman as being so confident on the dance floor. Especially after witnessing the steely-eyed, rigid performance with the patron earlier.

"You dance?" she asked, not exactly expecting an answer. Not that she doubted Na'an had the ability—the woman's athleticism had been proven in their sparring matches. She just doubted Na'an's inclination. "You don't seem the type."

Na'an muttered something Adelle couldn't quite catch then turned and asked about Hutt music. Adelle grimaced. Most of her encounters with that style of music were in clubs when she was looking for a . . . distraction, when she'd been under Krayt's influence, and, once, when she'd been abducted by a Hutt. Memories she would prefer not to relive.

"I don't have good memories of it," she said, watching the dancers on the floor. Most were, more or less, decent with the ballroom style. From stances and handholds, it was clear it was just a hobby for most and one they didn't take seriously. She would've been hard-pressed to find a partner that was as familiar with most styles as she was. Something Na'an said clicked in her brain. Adelle dropped her arms and put a hand on her hip as she turned to Na'an.

"What do you know about Hutt music?"

[member="Vidalu Na'an"]

Tags: [member="Adelle Bastiel"]

Na'an pondered for a second, "Well, if we're talking about facts, I know that it's not really Hutt music," she said airily, leaning against a table. "They don't have the fingers for it, see. It's mostly variations on Rylothian music, remixed to fit Hutt tastes..."

She picked up a glass and swirled it, watching Adelle's face with a thoughtful look. "I mean, I get why most people don't like it. Good music in a bad setting...it's hard to learn to like. Believe me, I know...but there's something to be said for how it can liven up a party."

Na'an let the ghost of a smile pass across her face. If she knew anything about Adelle Bastiel--and by the look of the hand on her hip, she did--the idea would intrigue, at the least. The Doc she knew didn't let a few bad memories get in her way...and it seemed a terrible shame to subject her to such a boring time, after all the effort she'd put in to look good enough to make strangers stare.

"Of course, facts are boring. It's more fun to say that I know how to put half the jaws in this room on the floor, given the right track and the right partner."

Wearing: This saucy number
Tag: [member="Vidalu Na'an"]

Na'an's body language adopted loftier motions, more sure of herself, and Adelle couldn't say it didn't suit her. This was different from anything Na'an had been around her previously: reserved, angry, frustrated, practical, afraid, all of those but never this . . . cocky and mischievous. She saw mischief around Leigh, and affection, but never with herself. She couldn't say she didn't like it either.

This Na'an was fun.

A smile so subtle and quick Adelle almost thought she imagined it passed over Na'an's face and she wondered for a moment if Na'an had picked up on her thoughts. Adelle rolled her eyes and smirked back. No, Na'an had never been strong enough to pick up on those subtle emotions.

But Na'an making jaws drop? Now that she had to see.

"I'm sure the DJ can be persuaded," she said, still smirking. "The right partner? That depends on your standards."

Tags: [member="Adelle Bastiel"], [member="Djonas Vile"], [member="Alwine Lechner"]

And with that smirk, Na'an knew she had her on board. She shrugged, already struggling to keep a grin submerged. "I'm not so sure. In this case, the right partner just has to be willing to make a little trouble." She looked back at the dancers already on the floor, still moving in the same slow rhythm. "I'm not sure how many of the other guests would approve of something so low-brow as Rylothian horn and drums, you know?"

She set the glass down--she didn't actually know whose glass it was, after all--and took a few backwards steps towards where the band was playing. "But I'm sure I could ask around," she said brightly. She spun on her heel, weaving easily to narrowly avoid a dark-skinned man and his lupine partner. In seconds, she had convinced one of the side players to come down from the stage, and was deep in negotiations. Hopefully she'd be able to convince him to play one particular track off-set without having to use Adelle and her exposed shoulder as bait again.

Based on the tattoo on his neck, she felt hopeful about her odds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom