Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now that Netherworld is wrapped up... what are your ideas for the next Event?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurcano Car'dann

"Kark you, I won't do what you tell me."
Anja Aj'Rou said:
I rather liked the unbiased randomization with the odds and evens. So I'd strongly recommend incorporating that -- or a similar 'draft' -- again; it was beautiful.

As for an idea:

We just had a cataclysm. Let's focus on something that's renewing. What if we expanded the reach of the galaxy a bit? Encouraged new worlds to be submitted and had a 'scramble for Africa' or a 'new world' feel to it. Maybe a micro galaxy drifts close by and a select few new hyperlanes open up :p (Just make sure to place a space kraken in one of them)

I can imagine great explorers, discovering temples and ruins, species both primitive and advanced. I really liked that the Netherworld event gave Codex more flavour and I really think that could work again here.

Besides. Who doesn't like culture clash?
Best idea so far. The Exogorth migration could fall under this, because that sounds cool as well. The Great Hunt Idea by,

Cira said:
How about a massive boardwide Great Hunt? -- just not for Mandos but for everyone. Get the bounty board involved with this.

The Great Hunt was a competition for glory that originated among the Mandalorians as a test of skill on the jungle moon of Dxun. Over time, the Hunt became an open competition in which any of the galaxy's warriors could compete. A total of three Great Hunts were called during the Great Galactic War, and another three were held during the subsequent Cold War.
Was also very good. I'd enjoy either of these, or even better. BOTH.

Tefka said:
So if you could run your own board-wide Chaos event... what would it be?
Whatever it would be, it'd actually start now.

While Netherworld was pretty cool, it and the rest of the Events so far seem to have no build-up in roleplays outside of the events. It just happens, and then it just ends. I believe a successful buildup via roleplays well before the event start can lead to something even more exciting. It doesn't even have to be a thread or have a lot of OOC advertising. A good example of what I mean would be if Bol-Jahir was running around in roleplays once the Netherworld Event was greenlit - which was well before it started. The revelation that Bol-Jahir has a larger tie to the Event would then give people that have seen the character a lot more incentive to join the Event and stay active.

Either that, or another example would be to use existing, community driven roleplays as a springboard for the Event.

[member="Lurcano Car'dann"] Unbiased Randomized Bounties anyone? :D

"If you're odd, you're worth 500,000 to the Hutts, for no particular reason!"

I agree with Fatty and Silara. Sometimes, something good should happen and the Light Side should take precedence. From the gist of things, the Netherworld was Dark Side centric with lots of planet grabbing and action. Why not slow it down and have reflection and character development and interaction?

Palpatine absorbs the dark energies of the Nether released when Akala screwed everything up and broke the boundaries between the two realms for a time, and thus he comes back as Mecha-Super-Sith-4 Palpatine, and we have to travel to the Planet of the Force Priestesses and learn the Spirit Bomb from Ghost-Teferi.

Maybe the Force imposes it's will. In some form or another most believe the Force has it's own plan and that maybe the Force tips the balance once more. I don't believe the darkside has had enough time in the accession on these board yet. For as long as I remember being here the lightside had a lot of time and still more could be done with the darkside getting stronger.

So rather than having an 'outside' influence dictate the event, we have a fickle entity already in the Force. The darkside grows stronger the lightside weaker and those that have map controlled space could face rebellion from the governing bodies of the planets within that space.

As for the darksiders of the boards, the strengthening of the darkside to a point that even gives them pause for concern and might even instill fear of it in them. Or in some cases they will relish it. Player option there of course.

Just some ideas, that might spark others or no. :)

As a writer-created galaxy, Chaos has seemed to follow a more varied political approach rather than the traditional Star Wars Light vs Dark struggle. That's an integral concept that has made Star Wars the most awesome thing ever, and something we should probably revisit. So I propose that the next event should be a Light vs Dark kind of thing, where every character/faction that takes part must choose a side.

Vital Elements That Will Make This A Success:
  • Multi-thread Treasure Hunt that will lead participants to a final, secret location
  • Final Battle between Light and Dark at the secret location
  • A Big Prize for the winning side
  • Many minor prizes for characters who succeed in doing heroic/evil/awesome things in the course of the event
Essentially, this would be a mental game that culminates in a massive PvP slugfest. Not everyone likes this kind of thing but there are a high proportion of people who do.

Risks to my plan: Losers being butthurt about losing. That happens all the time anyway, though.

That's my input.

Ceska Starshield said:
I agree with Fatty and Silara. Sometimes, something good should happen and the Light Side should take precedence. From the gist of things, the Netherworld was Dark Side centric with lots of planet grabbing and action. Why not slow it down and have reflection and character development and interaction?
I think you completely missed the focus of what I was getting at.

As far as I am aware, it would be completely impossible to have an event where the entire galaxy suddenly is under the ever-reaching branch of some randomly new government - at least one that makes sense without doing some complex illusion-stuff or something - but this was the general gist of the idea before I realized mid-sentence that it wasn't a plausible idea:

• Life is suddenly peaceful, like completely peaceful - there is no war between Jedi and Sith, in fact when were they fighting to begin with? - and the epitome of an utopia.
  • This all fit in place, as if every single day is a carefully choreographed event, though the fact that it is so consistent from one day to the next never strikes you as odd - it was simply how it has always been, right?
  • However there's always that one person that seems to resist the flow, like a rock in the middle of a gentle stream - you never really talk to him, because he's just not part of your life, so you just write him off (this is just an example of coming to realization of what I'm laying out).
  • One day you're walking by to go to work and suddenly realize, after a couple days, that you've not seen the messy guy that never really conforms to society, and at first you ignore it - think he's just not following procedure in just a slightly different way.
  • It's been over a month and now you've noticed someone else has taken up his place, looks just like him - only just like you were prior to noticing - blissfully unaware of the outside world and an extreme conformist while following the exact same schedule every day, morning noon and night.
  • While watching the television, the nightly news and programs and such, you happen to think about the sudden change in the neighbor, only to hear something out of the ordinary on the news - something that was extremely minor, but nonetheless related in subject matter to the disappearance to the man down the street. Something about vacations and 'rehabilitation'.
  • More and more people, the more you pay attention, go through a similar process until the day you open your mail to find just what everyone else looks forward to: A message relaying that you've received a free vacation to some planet far from home with promises of rehabilitation to relieve stress and other things. You ignore it.
  • Big mistake.
Ensue disillusionment and non-conformity.

It's pretty cliche and all, though it makes for good reading material of course.

Makes me think of Return of the archons from the original star trek series [member="Silara"] except they have mardi gras everyday for an hour or two. But they are all under the control of landrew.

I like the great hunt idea and the light vs dark.

My idea is kind of cliche, but it would be a fun event.

By the power of some sort of main adversary, the entire board is thrust back in time. Personally, I'm thinking back to the clone wars or a bit before.
As they wake up in the past, people notice that all of their possessions are gone. For the sake of keeping it PG-13, let's say the have at least some clothes on their back.

Taking a leaf out of Netherworld's book, rifts appear every so often. My vision for these rifts is that they can transport inanimate objects between the current timeline and the event. Obviously there would be an effect for using said rift, and I imagine object size restrictions.

So basically, people find themselves in the past with no way to defeat the punk who sent them there and hopefully return to their own timeline. The goal would be to get their gear back through the rifts (or obtain suitable replacements) and defeat the main antagonist to return home.

< EDIT >
In addition to this, I think it would be cool to have consequences for certain actions. I.E.: Somebody, trying to get a crystal for a lightsaber, steals one from a jewelry store. Getting caught, they now have the police after them. < /EDIT >

I think the wild Force was a great concept in the Netherworld event.

Perhaps a fun inversion would be to allow NFU's to have the Force at random, and take it from some FU's. User profile numbers like with Netherworld, but even numbers get the Force, odd numbers don't.

Chaos ensues.

Or we try a more small scale story.

Looking back over the first couple of weeks of the first netherworld thread. I think we learned that if you create some amazing locations, start with a cool concept and throw lots of people together, people will have fun with it with it for a period of time, with very little staff management required.

Concepts like that, along with mini events that faction Admins can handle with a little bit of staff handling seem a good way to make events happen on a board this size.

Honestly I had a blast with several of my characters, and was pleasantly surprised to see an event run so well given the scale of the board. Top work and thanks.

Story wise... How many interesting yuuzhan vong galaxy worlds have you got lying around that didn't get used? :)

Silara said:
As far as I am aware, it would be completely impossible to have an event where the entire galaxy suddenly is under the ever-reaching branch of some randomly new government - at least one that makes sense without doing some complex illusion-stuff or something - but this was the general gist of the idea before I realized mid-sentence that it wasn't a plausible idea:
Doctor Who when the Master returns. We all wake up under the rule of a new mega government, many of us locked up. It's a 1984/Half Life 2 style system of control with uncountable droids and remotes monitoring and keeping the population in control. For some reason only the PCs remember what has happened. Or maybe could have another odd/even split and some people don't remember the old version of the galaxy and are part of the new system.

We all have to resist and rebel as little elements of the story are revealed and it turns out someone has been manipulating the rifts to go back in time and change the course of history.

Wibbly wobbly timey wimey means anyone who doesn't want to participate never remembers the alternate galaxy so never experiences it

An idea I have wanted to use was an ancient power that has not been seen in the Galaxy yet so it is due time for their return, "The Destructors." I imagine it to be something so evil it transcends the light and dark side and sees both as something to be eliminated. Such a power in the Galaxy would force ancient funds to end. Imagine, in order to survive Jedi must make peace with Sith and vice versa. Mandalorians must work with bounty hunters. Crime lords and hutts must be generous with their money. An evil so powerful and so committed to completely wiping out the Galaxy that the only way to stop it is for the whole Galaxy to rise up against it. This would be more than an event, this would be a full blown arc.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Destructors

I made these guys awhile ago, never got to finish their story. They're just sitting around, waiting to start enslaving and devouring their way across the Galaxy.

Darth Moridin could even be their advocate, for those that get the reference.

I think something more unusual/less catastrophic might be refreshing. Picking up on [member="Valiens Nantaris"]' post, it might be fun if FU's and NFU's all switched up. What would happen when the heavy hitters found out they couldn't throw buildings around and the guttersnipe discovered he could shoot lightning out of his hands but had no idea how to control it? How quickly would the former Jedi and Sith try to recruit them to their cause? Does power corrupt? Does absolute power corrupt absolutely? Does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight when your mouth is powered by the Force?

From a practical/admin standpoint, the easiest way to handle this would be to have a signup thread, then randomly assign the powers of an FU to a non-FU, so not terribly difficult. If we have more NFU's than FU's, you could either duplicate or divide the powers of some of our stronger characters.

I like the idea of something subtle, very subtle that nobody notices at first, not until it's too late. Something you can weave into all your RP's optionally for flavor, so it's universally able to be drawn on.

Being vague intentionally as I've not been here when a big one was running before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom