Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major Faction Member Requirement Raised To 6 Members From 5

Flint Pherson

F
*nods* Understood. I'm not Staff anymore. So my vocabulary has changed for 'being balanced'. To, 'requesting balance'. ;)

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Tegaea Alcori said:
The only problem is that it's hard to maintain people posting over long periods. So if you have 3 of your 10 people drop off partway through, what would be the mechanism to get new people in?
I'm not sure I understand - this is also a problem with Invasions as currently practiced, yes?

Flint Pherson

F
I use the 50% rule. If you need 10 people. Bring 20. Since Alt-padding is illegal in PvP, you can't just spawn in more Alts to counter PC's after a drop. You'll need to supply more writers than the story demands.

In this way, a higher minimum for Major Factions supplies a better base for 5 PC vs 5 PC conflicts. In baseball it's like having a bench. Just my 2 cents.

Flint Pherson

F
Well. *struts* ...I consider all my ideas, 'Priceless'. ...Erm. Even the bad ones too. Oops? >.>'' :p

Janira Fenni said:
Still makes the work TEC is currently doing pointless if we can't get three more members.
Just throwing this out there since I am curious. Lets take the TEC for example since they are in the middle of their Dominion. They don't get three more members soon, they simply know it is not going to happen. Could they say to the Republic "come take over our planet/area but let us govern" creating a sub-faction and preserving the canon homeworld. Then, if and when they reach ten members and feel comfortable going forward, stage a rebellion against the big,bad Republic and declare 'freedom' thus keeping their planet/s once again and becoming a faction?

I know this isnt ideal but to those factions who may be about to be wiped off the map it may be an excellent solution to losing all of their work. Align with someone bigger, use the crap out of them, then turn and become a true rival.

Flint Pherson

F
This is, in my mind, the privilege of every world or territory in the Republic. The Republic is not 'one culture' or 'one planet'. It is an Umbrella for the Under-Dogs. A Union against 'Them that be around us'. ...In a way? I fully expect every soverign territory to join the Republic with the mind set that they will use us and abuse us. Until they decide to secede, or rebel, or whatever. But if the American Civil War taught me anything? ...It is that our Union is were the power of 'Freedom' resides. Including the power to pursue and protect your own separate culture.

Speech aside. Yeah. They could do that. And I'd encourage it. (Then they'd get so comfy they'd never want to leave.) *wink wink* :D

Ragnar Wulfe

R
Just a note, most of my OCs know each other from somewhere, so Alt Padding will probably not happen with me, since it was mentioned

Flint Pherson said:
This is, in my mind, the privilege of every world or territory in the Republic. The Republic is not 'one culture' or 'one planet'. It is an Umbrella for the Under-Dogs. A Union against 'Them that be around us'. ...In a way? I fully expect every soverign territory to join the Republic with the mind set that they will use us and abuse us. Until they decide to secede, or rebel, or whatever. But if the American Civil War taught me anything? ...It is that our Union is were the power of 'Freedom' resides. Including the power to pursue and protect your own separate culture.

Speech aside. Yeah. They could do that. And I'd encourage it. (Then they'd get so comfy they'd never want to leave.) *wink wink* :D

Unless you are Texas trying to sign a petition to secede and keep failing at it :p

Flint Pherson

F
Jaxton Ravos said:
Let's take Flint's capping idea for instance. If we could get each faction to maintain a rough number of active members we could put the cap at say, 80% of the lower member's active base(that way every member of the lower faction isn't forced to participate), and then allow the other faction to have a bonus in cap based on how much bigger they are then the other faction.

Let's say Faction A has 35 active members and Faction B has 12 active members. Set the base cap at 10ish, then allow the bigger faction a cap bonus of 3-4 people, giving the smaller faction a fighting chance but also giving the larger faction a 30-40% advantage.
Capping plus a leverage bonus. That could work. Already in the rules it states that 'before an invasion begins fairness must be considered'. So this idea sounds very similar. And. Supplying a 'bench' of replacement Non-Faction players would help the little guys counter the big guys 'bench'.

IE: So a (90 vs 10) situation would be 'Capped' to: (12 vs 10), with the option of: (5) Non-Faction 'Requesting Aid' Members signed up and on 'Stand-by' to aid the Little Guys should people drop. As the Big Guys would already have (78) players on their bench.

Darth Moridin said:
One thing I would like to ask the people that want caps: would you like to be told that you cannot role-play in your own faction's thread?
I agree. What if there are 20 members who want to play but only 12 can actually sign up and do so?

I have to think about this, I am not sure I have much of an opinion on it. I honestly like the idea of seeing small factions grow and have a chance to fully carve out a niche and have a way to reasonably contend with bigger factions. However, it would need to be reasonable. Restricting numbers is absurd. I really don't have much of an idea though.

Flint Pherson

F
Darth Moridin said:
One thing I would like to ask the people that want caps: would you like to be told that you cannot role-play in your own faction's thread?
Or. You could say: Sorry guys, you've got next game. Sorry Sean, you've got next if somebody drops. Sorry dudes, if we lose this one we'll just field a whole new team for the next one and the let the other guys cool-off. Sorry team, check the rotation board for when you're next up to bat.

This is like asking a Soccor Club how come there aren't enough positions on the field for the whole club to play at once. They understand. It's a game. And you deal with it.

Jaxton Ravos said:
Let's say Faction A has 35 active members and Faction B has 12 active members. Set the base cap at 10ish, then allow the bigger faction a cap bonus of 3-4 people, giving the smaller faction a fighting chance but also giving the larger faction a 30-40% advantage.

We're not going to impose anything like this, and we're not going to impose "caps" on anything. That's up to the Faction Leaders involved in the threads to decide and agree upon with the opposing Faction Leaders.

Larger Factions are supposed to have leverage. "There's always a bigger fish." If anything, we'll look at revamping the "Requesting Aid" rule, as you can currently request 5 members from other Factions to help you out in this thread. There's no limit to how many Factions you can ask for help, there's no limit to when you can request this aid during the thread, and there's also multi-faction joining...

You guys are really overlooking a lot of options you've already been given, you only need to reach out and use them.

To be honest the amount of people invovled is a moot point, because it comes down to quality. I have seen two people beat several sith masters and other elite status PCs because they were clever and used their lower numbers to their advantage. But i understand what people are talking about and their view points.

Arina Zjarri

A
Tegaea Alcori said:
Except soccer is a game where both sides are even, there are clear rules on it.

You don't have players drop out halfway through either.
Technically you do, through injury, red card, or them needing a break. Thats why you have benchwarmers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom