Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major Faction Member Requirement Raised To 6 Members From 5

Lord Ghoul

L
My 2 cents:
Everyone who's upset. Calm down. Everything will be okay :)
Secondly, on capping thread participation. Bad idea. Tef has alread nixed it so I won't rant on the subject.
Third, Minor Factions upset that they might be conquered by an enormous Major Faction. This is how you're supposed to feel!!! Just think how a small nation opposing the Roman Empire felt when they knew that Roman legions were just days away. Its terrifying, because yes, you might be conquered. But that is why diplomacy exists. Scared that the Empire might try to annex your planet? Send some diplomats over to the Republic and forge a mutual defense treaty. Become a protectorate of a larger government while still retaining some sovereignty. Or heck, even become a subfaction.

Subfactions in particular are something I think the major factions could work on. Nations are not made into one giant non-differentiated zone. There are various social, ethnical, and religious differences between people. Take the United States. The South is completely different from California. Texas is the complete opposite of New England etc. It makes sense that the Republic especially, as a democracy, would have many different smaller groups within it. And the Empire too could have small kingdoms absorbed into the whole. The kingdoms would likely retain some certain amount of power and possibly even integrated into the command structure.

Take my character Lysander of Suarbi. He rules the Principality of Suarbi, but you don't see it on the map. And I'm perfectly fine with that. For now I'm just working on building infrastructure. Eventually, the goal is to recruit members. But sometimes newly created factions aren't ready to be released. The galaxy isn't ready for it. Give it some time and more effort creating intricacies within it that make it unique. Building up its sociopolitical background. I can guarantee you, a well constructed faction with an indepth background and intricate command structure will make people do a double take. If you build it. They will come.

Sky Kerberos

Former Sith Conqueror
I'm for the little guy on this, one of the best factions I was apart of had only 5 active characters (TSB)-- yet we held our own in fights and had a great time, even if we lost at times. But it wouldn't have been the same if we did not have a planet or had to ally w/others in order to fight.

Often times 5 can outweigh 10, if they are more close knit & active. The Battle of Thermopylae shows that the smaller can kick ass, if they have heart, and even if they lose--at least they had the chance to fight and be awesome :)

I get that certain restrictions are needed, we wouldn't want micro-factions composed of just 1-3 members crowding the map or groups that are dominated by the alts of one person, to use an extreme example!

It's a dilemma situation to which there's no easy solution that makes everyone happy. Not every faction is going to be a big empire, some will be swept aside or have to tie themselves to a larger entity. Survival of the fittest, you could say.

Even without a numbers cap as radical as this one (and as I said, at some point one has to make one, I just think this one's too radical), the sheer reality of power politics will compel smaller factions to seek out partnerships with larger ones anyway. I mean, it's what the Echani are doing right now with the Republic.

Though big numbers don't necessarily imply actual activity. As it is the Mandos, Sith and Republic are the only truly secure ones. Quite understandably many people want to be Jedi and Sith, since that's what Star Wars is mainly about.

Having less big but potentially more unique faction that add more creative variety sink into obscurity or just end up being protectorates with inhibited sovereignty would be rather unfortunate.

Of course in the end this is just a fun game. There's a lot more to it then placement on maps, Invasions and Dominions. :)

Janira Fenni

J
I don't want TEC to be part of the Republic as a subfaction and then rebel. That, to me, makes absolutely no sense. Reason 1: We'd definitely never get the members we need if we're a subfaction of the Republic because nobody needs to actually join us since they can join the Republic. Reason 2: We're a sovereign entity and joining the Republic would subject us to their laws, of which there are many. Reason 3: We'd just become those white haired Republic people. Reason 4: We'd lose at least two members by joining the Republic because they're not Jedi/Republic friendly. Reason 5: I don't want to have to rebel against the Republic in order to regain my sovereignty, considering we view them as friends and that would just completely annihilate any friends we had on the board. It's like forcing us to be alone.

I just don't like this at all, and quite frankly it's pissing me off since I've put some hard work into TEC in the last two weeks in order to get it to this point. Not just me, though. Those of us in TEC are working hard to advance it and get our name out there by growing our place on the map in the intent that people see that and say "Oh, they're not just some insignificant speck, they might be worth looking more into."

So yes, I'm pissed off at the whole thing.

On a slightly less serious note, the Apaches did not cease to be independent because Geronimo suddenly had less than so and so members. He just lost the war and had to surrender and the tribe got a reservate.

Regardless of where we put the cap or use some other method to determine faction status and influence, natural selection will accomplish the rise and fall of factions. In our case it depends on activity and the ability to mobilise people.

I imagine that some less numerous groups that share certain values - or just have common enemies - could band together in loose coalitions rather. Something like a non-aligned movement...well, one that actually works!

So add more here. The goal is not to hamper any smaller factions. We are trying to think of an effective way to do things reasonably, where small factions do not litter the map, and also don't have unrealistic empires, while also fostering their growth. We most certainly want smaller factions to grow as well. I have vested interest in one of those smaller factions, so trust me I want to look out for them as well.

However, I will say that small cultural factions are going to attract less interest in general. So do not get too frustrated when they don't gain the kind of massive following of the already well established factions in SW lore. Cause that is what you are really fighting with. Star Wars is generally speaking a story of the Republic/Jedi against the Sith/Empire. Other powers find their way in and there are obviously a rich number of cultures in the SW universe, but seldom are they major powers at any point in time. So that should not be your expectations.

Flint Pherson

F
Erm. Sidenote.

When i offered 'capping' as an idea. It wasn't a proposition for a new 'Website Rule'. Nope. Na'uh. Nada. ...Haha. It was a recommendation about how Faction Leaders go about offering 'Fairness' towards smaller factions. It was a compromise solution and a privilege of negotiation. Not a: Hey Tef, make this Mandatory.

Now. @[member="Janira Fenni"]. I can only help if you'll let me. So I won't say another word about it. I'm sorry you are frustrated and nothing I have said is helping. I was only attempting to offer you options, compromises, and shelter. Not 5 reasons you'll disappear. :(

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
OK guys. I've sat down with a number of people, and we have a full proposal to run past you. It's based on the concepts that I expressed earlier that people seemed to like quite a bit. Here's the proposal:

If a faction fails to meet a membership criteria of 7 after a one-month grace period, its influence begins to decay until such time as the membership meets the criteria. The decay happens at a rate of roughly one square every two weeks. Territory lost through influence decay can only be regained by Dominions.

7 members sustains existing territory. 10 members can expand with Dominions and Invasions.

Every minor faction has a Homeworld. Regardless of the state of the faction's membership (Major, Minor or Inactive), its members always have the right to defend that world against Invasion. In the event that few people defend the world, the Invasion will be held to a standard comparable to a Dominion. Furthermore, defenders of a Homeworld may call for aid from up to ten non-members of their faction, as opposed to the hard limit of five in all other Invasions.

Cira

C
Ashin Varanin said:
OK guys. I've sat down with a number of people, and we have a full proposal to run past you. It's based on the concepts that I expressed earlier that people seemed to like quite a bit. Here's the proposal:

If a faction fails to meet a membership criteria of 7 after a one-month grace period, its influence begins to decay until such time as the membership meets the criteria. The decay happens at a rate of roughly one square every two weeks. Territory lost through influence decay can only be regained by Dominions.

7 members sustains existing territory. 10 members can expand with Dominions and Invasions.

Every minor faction has a Homeworld. Regardless of the state of the faction's membership (Major, Minor or Inactive), its members always have the right to defend that world against Invasion. In the event that few people defend the world, the Invasion will be held to a standard comparable to a Dominion. Furthermore, defenders of a Homeworld may call for aid from up to ten non-members of their faction, as opposed to the hard limit of five in all other Invasions.
Dig it... However... I don't see the point in keeping a fully inactive faction on the board with a homeworld. ( what's the point of one writer keeping it going with alts? ) But that's just me / shrugs

My question is, however, with those who barely have one square of influence over their homeplanet... decay of one square is... their planet...

Kira Talith

Kinetic Communication at its finest my Chick-e-dee
Selena Halcyon said:
Good point, Cira. Any solution you would like? Viable member number that is the threshold where they just no longer are a considered a faction?
*cause i'm alt hopping to post*

Well... that's the trick. I'd think three members can pull off A LOT of stuff in a month to try and recruit. So I think that's a good number... but honestly... it is based on activity of those three folks.

Cause you can have three unique writers and they don't do diddly squat, and if you put a number cap, per regulation they would still have a home world. ( let's be honest, folks have tons of alts.... those three unique writers could just have alts on the faction and are not really doing anything productive unless they put forth the effort in their alts. Coming from an altaddict like myself, I know how it goes)

So maybe a little of column A and column B? A number cap of minimum 3 but they have to actively participate in active faction threads and recruitment to keep it?

Just a suggestion so feel free to nitpick it.

EDIT: refresh me if i'm wrong... but is there a number cap to even CREATE a faction?

No there is not one. Anyone can make a faction at any point in time. We do clean them up from time to time if one is just not cutting it.

And that seems fairly reasonable.

Selena Halcyon said:
No there is not one. Anyone can make a faction at any point in time. We do clean them up from time to time if one is just not cutting it.

And that seems fairly reasonable.
Sweet, just wanted to clarify cause I blanked out... still half asleep.

Anywho... Aye. I mean, not like folk are not going to notice which factions are active and which are not. The RP forum will be the ultimate black and white tell all. It won't lie.

The new ruling has been rescinded, again, and a new one proposed for raising the member count to 6 instead of 10.

You must still meet this limit during the end of the month check-ins or risk losing your influence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom