Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

January's Critique-the-Staff-Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
@[member="Circe Savan"]

I highly doubt it. My opinion is unchanged. And will be properly paranoid after the aforementioned event is played out. :p

Hmm. Need to say something on topic. Ah, yes, old factory was easier to navigate.

*nods in agreement*

I especially liked the sections for tech belonging to specific factions. Made searches easier than they are now.

Also, congrats to @[member="Jay Scott Clark"] for being ten posts from a hundred posts.

Aran Finn said:
Other boards I've been a part of have had a thread listing Faction Leaders of all major factions with links to their profile. They've also had Faction Member Lists with character names, rank titles and other relatively important information. I've always found that extremely helpful, especially when joining a new board. Just a suggestion :)
You can do a member search in each faction for their Admins... Any other logistics is currently on them to post, which is something I also suggest.

Akio Kahoshi said:
Is Spencer not still the Queen of the Fringe? Is Soliael not one of the faith leaders of the Moross Crusade? Did Sargon give up his Governor of Bakura position?

I can understand the difficulty of managing staff time and faction time, but forcing people to give up their character's stories if that story has lead them to an IC position of power takes away from the fun. So I can't really agree with that. It should be up to the writer, not staff, where their character goes. Even if that writer is staff themselves.
I'm going to weigh in on this, since the rule was never voted on by Staff. It was briefly discussed with certain Administrators and then made mandatory by myself. I agree with your IC concerns, but OOC notions come first when making decisions as a Staff Member. This board cannot be ran and administrated if we're IC first, OOC second. Accepting Staff membership here is accepting an IRL duty and responsibility.

Secondly, SWRP Staff Members are already leaders in the community by the time we choose them for Staff selection. For the most part, all applicants have at one time or another proven themselves capable of making decisions that affect other people. This usually entails that the member has spent some time learning the ropes and gaining the experience necessary to be a leader. Yes, these members on Staff have and would prove themselves to be very capable leaders of Factions across the board.

What the rule sets as a precedent, and ultimately my message to Staff, is that one of their many new duties upon accepting a position on Staff is to allow others the chance to gain the experience that makes a leader. This forum will never grow if the same people keep doing the same things. It'll get repetitive, the same old grudges will be held between players OOC, and we'd never experience any new growth. What my wish for Staff members to do is to help groom the next generation of players and to spend more time sharing their knowledge and advice with others, rather than being in positions that are - in some cases - under just as big a microscope as the Staff position. I hold the SWRP Staff Team to higher standards than I would a member of the board, and they all know it - sacrificing their own needs and wishes for the greater good of SWRP comes with the gig. It's only a side note that the rule helps us with situations like back when Omega Pyre was referred to as the "Staff Faction".

I'm not depriving us of leaders, @[member="Akio Kahoshi"]. I'm creating a generation of new ones. Lack of infrastructure is the number one reason why most Major Factions around here die - but it won't be the reason SWRP dies.

Vincenzo Palminteri

V
Tefka said:
Lack of infrastructure is the number one reason why most Major Factions around here die - but it won't be the reason SWRP dies.
Interesting message yer putting out there, though, my opinion on the rule is both OOC and IC, OOCly I still believe we need mods as the higher up to the RPJs and Admins as the higher up to the Mods... my thinkin' is if a FJ or a RPJ is the leader of a faction, let them stay leader as long as their IC actions as a writer are known to not contradict OOC action as staff and Admins and Mods (if you so choose to bring the Mod position back, I'm not forcing it in any way with my thoughts xD) should follow the mandate. As for IC opinions...
"I think if a person gets a higher position than possible from a higher power, they should have a choice before they take it, not after."

If that were a viable option after dealing with this situation on a daily basis for nearly a year, I'd be glad to go that route. Sadly, it's not.

*I believe the words I used back when I originally made the rule was "it's either all of us or none of us"

Vincenzo Palminteri

V
Ah, then why not call them mods and the FJs actually put on the groups of the board as an edited RPJ?

Just a thought I had on the topic of Staff not being able to be Faction Admins.

It seems like some of the factions start off with having great leadership, then that leader accepts a staff position and disappears, leaving the faction to spiral down into leaderless inactivity. Basically, it's a Brain Drain. All the capable *cough* intelligent *cough* people are getting picked up for RPJ or Admin spots, leaving no one with the necessary IQ points to step up to the plate.

That said, I can also see the benefits of having those FA spots open up for new people to shine, but good FAs are hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom