Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

January's Critique-the-Staff-Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to ask about the Adds that have been popping up? On one page I will have the normal site, and then when I refresh the page, An add will show up at the very top above the Logo in the center of the page. Is this just my computer, or is this a new thing on the site? I was just wondering.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Sounds like a 3rd-Party Toolbar. It probably came as a package deal with something you installed recently. :(

Morna Imura said:
I would like to ask about the Adds that have been popping up? On one page I will have the normal site, and then when I refresh the page, An add will show up at the very top above the Logo in the center of the page. Is this just my computer, or is this a new thing on the site? I was just wondering.
You have malware. Swrp has no advertisments and likely never will. I recommend you download something called "Malwarebytes" and scan your computer. It is a completely free anti-virus/malware/spyware program that I and many others on this board use and recommend. Should clear the ads up :)

A question about making droids... actually two.
If I used a canon company owned by someone else, like say Czerka for example, would I need their permission for it?
How would a Dev thread for a droid be done?

And just wanna say, I'm sorry for any raging I did and will do

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Exuku Caribaa said:
A question about making droids... actually two.
Vyperion. This is the Staff Critique Thread. For Tech Questions, please use the Factory Talk Thread. Thanks. :)

Ignasius Van-Derveld

I'm the mother flippin'
Tegaea Alcori said:
Possibly it is rewarding inactivity. However, when the 5 largest factions are united I had a choice. Either let the battle be a 4-1 massacre - which you will agree would be hardly worth being part of - or make it 3-2 which it is now. I would have done the exact same in the opposite direction. I consulted numerous people on this and I thought long and hard about it.
I can understand trying to make it more fair, but the idea of having a massacre like that in your characters backstory would be incredible character building. Hard sell to those who draw the short straw though.

Thaddeus Creed

T
If you could speed up the whole "Name Change/Rank Title" thing please that'd be awesome.

I'd like to make a suggestion to the staff dealing with Factory submissions. While I understand that some submissions, whether it is a species or technology or anything else, are obviously against the rules written down, there are some occasions where the submission is outright denied without the chance of changing it, or they are denied but the reasoning for it is not found anywhere in the established factory restricted list. If needed, I can supply one submission where someone was denied without a chance to edit his work for approval and the reason for the denial for it is not listed in the factory threads.

I understand the need to be strict. I also understand there are submissions that are outright against the rules. I believe, however, staff need to give a chance before denying approval. There is already a thread up for people to say they wish for another chance to submit their work, but this really should only be for after the second chance. Yes, there is a need to be strict, but when someone submits a work and is outright denied without a chance to edit, it leaves a sour taste in our mouths.

I suggest the following:
  • Factory submissions are given only one warning, listing the changes needed and why. If after three days the creator has not spoken to staff or not made any changes to his submission, staff has the right to deny the submission.
  • If asked, the reason for denying should be cited clearly from the established rules. If it cannot be cited clearly, it should be put under review.
We've already discussed about staff being approachable, and I think addressing this would move in the right direction.

This is just my suggestion and critique. Please do what you think is best.

The new RPJ thread brought up one issue that I do think needs to be brought up for recent changes to staff that I frankly do not agree with. There has been a problem in the past with certain invididuals on staff helping the factions they lead gain an adtantage. So we get the rule "cannot be OOC or IC leadership."

I think this is wrong. It hurts this board, and this is to good a board for me to want to see it hurt. It means either a faction has to lose a good leader for staff to gain a good staff member, or staff has to lose a good staffer so that a faction can survive. This is not the way to fix the problem, by creating a new one. Already we watched OP nearly collapse when Tegs was forced to choose between them when no one else was available to act as faction staff. More to the point, half of staff currently has important IC positions so the rule falls apart instantly.

Rather than depriving factions of good leadership, or limiting staff choices, I think more attention needs to be focused on avoiding conflict of interest in general. Cause frankly, just because a person gives up their IC or OOC leadership doesn't mean they still don't care about that faction. I don't think there is a member of staff that is a member of every faction, so they just have to concentrate on the ones they don't already have a vested interest in.

@[member="Akio Kahoshi"]

I understand your concern, but I will point out that no RPJ or Admin has a IC or OOC faction leadership position. Tef temporarily took control of the Republic but that was only until a replacement was found.

The reason for this is, quite simply, most people only have so much time in the day. I know for one that it was extremely hard to do both Admin and Lady Protector roles at once. Both inevitably suffered, as you’d expect. Now, there may be rare cases where a person can handle both, but that’s only part of the problem. The other problem is bias.
Now, no one can be truly objective, and we always have our own little prejudices. However, if I am leader of OP and Admin for instance the automatic assumption (and not even in a malicious way) is that there’s a conflict of interest.

Thus we require staff hold no other roles so they can focus on that alone.

We also want to spread the love of responsibility beyond just a few people in a small circle.

So that’s our reasoning, flawed or reasonable, you may judge I guess!

Is Spencer not still the Queen of the Fringe? Is Soliael not one of the faith leaders of the Moross Crusade? Did Sargon give up his Governor of Bakura position?

I can understand the difficulty of managing staff time and faction time, but forcing people to give up their character's stories if that story has lead them to an IC position of power takes away from the fun. So I can't really agree with that. It should be up to the writer, not staff, where their character goes. Even if that writer is staff themselves.

Akio Kahoshi said:
Random idea, Faction Leader for major faction owners to help pinpoint them to members that might not be aware who runs factions they're not part of?
Other boards I've been a part of have had a thread listing Faction Leaders of all major factions with links to their profile. They've also had Faction Member Lists with character names, rank titles and other relatively important information. I've always found that extremely helpful, especially when joining a new board. Just a suggestion :)

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Akio Kahoshi said:
Already we watched OP nearly collapse when Tegs was forced to choose between them when no one else 'wanted' to act as faction staff.
Slight correction here. Carry on. :p

@[member="Akio Kahoshi"]
We only specify THE leader, overall. They can be a sub leader, but not the overall leader.

Spencer is more of a ceremonial figure, and not the de facto IC. Soliael is one of the Aesir, but he is also just one of multiple and not the overall leader. And yes, Sargon did give up his position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom