Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's not a party until...

Gideon Argos

G
With the silence descending on the ground, Gideon became increasingly self-conscious of the way his shuddering breath drew attention to him. This, however, only served to exasperate his already labored inhalations that he struggled to bring under control. This ceremony was one he'd heard of in the past, but never thought he'd see in person. After all, who expected to grow up to be invited to the coming of age festivities for the future head of a planet?

Hint: It isn't too many.

Around him, people applauded, but Gideon stood, immobile, a bulwark of ceremonial armor amid a sea of gowns and suits. Finally, servos whining, the man snapped of a parade ground crisp salute in honor of the Lady. It was the most appropriate thing he could think to do at a time like this, and while she wasn't military, she was more than worthy of the respect the gesture exhibited.

skin, bone, and arrogance
How ridiculous the aristocracy was in its pomp and ritual. Birthdays for young adults were best celebrated in private clubs with sumptuous wood paneling and comfortable club seating, among the inner family and a select small group of friends. Cocktails would be shared, and then a nice thick steak or some sort of fancy shellfish dish. The spectacle that Avadreia was witnessing was just one rung below the waitstaff of a chain restaurant circling one's table singing on the ritual humiliation scale. Yet Avadreia joined in the polite applause, closing her eyes lest anyone see her eyes rolling.

Verie said something about the cake and Avadreia turned to her with raised eyebrows. "Do prima ballerinas eat cake, these days? How times have changed." She doubted whether their hostess was really eager for cake. She looked as if she hadn't eaten anything but celery for years. Meanwhile, Avadreia, like many women of her age, imagined herself becoming a cellulite magnet. It wasn't true, of course, but since when did people have to be logical?

She flagged down a servant and took a drink. "Where are they collecting the swag, anyway?" she asked, lifting her gift with an inquiring eyebrow.

Amorella waited until the applause began to die and the servants wheeled the cake into the dining hall, announcing tonights meal at the ready before she stepped down from the stair. Her mother was gone just as quickly, disappeared off with the strange man that lingered back in the hall, likely for talk of business as usual. The girl's hands were trembling, though she tried her best to cover it by fingering the ring now snugly fit in its new home. Forced to stop every few steps as the other young Aristocrats and merchants and business men and ladies congratulated her, it felt as though it took an hour to simply cover ten feet.

Finally she found herself standing once again next to the Captain, and as strange as it seemed hearing the wheezing of this man she barely knew came with some certain relief. "Hoo," she breathed over a quaking laugh, "well I don't know about you but I think I'll skip the cake. Not sure I even have a stomach left..." the girl cast a wide-eyed glance around, flashing an odd, cheery smile as she received kind words from several more people on their way in.

Gideon Argos

G
Gideon noted that her nerves had gotten the best of her, and it was something he could hardly blame her for. He'd be the same way at her age and in her position. With people dispersing and moving around, he decided he would move into the dining hall to get his hands on something a bit more filling than appetizers; social functions always made him feel starved.

With the crowd all encompassing as it was, he didn't even notice Amorella next to him until she spoke up, and his armored head shifted quickly to look to the fiery haired woman. "Cake doesn't do much for nutrition, I'm afraid.", he responds dryly, showcasing the sort of humor one would expect from an officer.

Looking around at the people still speaking with her, he touches the side of his helmet so that once again his glacial eyes can scan his surroundings. "If there's somewhere you'd rather be, I could be a guard - get you there without needing to stop every few inches.", he offers, clearly picking up on her unease.

"I used to love cake..." Amore with a wheeze of her own, the thought of cake at that current moment turning what stomach wasn't already in knots, "I think I'll avoid it a bit like the plague."

She got a few looks for that one and Amore marveled at how much louder she said it than she meant to. Swallowing, she turned her gaze back to her father, smiling. He looked distracted and she could see him eyeing the place her mother had last stood. "Pere?" she tried, and the man gave her a smile, a kiss on the forehead, and politely excused himself. She sighed and watched him go, seeing how effortlessly he weaved through the crowd. He moved like a fish cutting through a current, almost as though the people purposefully moved aside for him even when they never saw him coming. Powerful people were such a wonder. Would she one day make others wonder as well?

"Would you...care for a walk, Captain? I could show you the grounds. It's not far." She needed fresh air, which was rather ridiculous considering she stood out in the cool young night. Open air might be the more favorable. They'd never miss her at dinner, her mother always stole the show at the dining table anyways.

"I'm pleased that your memory serves you so well, and - admittedly - a little surprised."

Silencia strode down the far corridor at Moridin's arm once more, leading him into the south wing of her manor where there was quiet and stillness. The other guests were not permitted past the east, and she knew well that only the servants and her son to be around. It was a long way from prying ears of others, no matter who they belonged to.

"Cryo-freeze is one thing I cannot claim to have endured. I understand it's something of a shock to wake from, is that true?"

Moridin stood at Lady Silencias side or more like walked. The ceremony had been quite nice, although he had never been much for parties or anything of the like. The Dreadlord was a simple man and he liked simple things. He didn't have parties, or balls, or anything like that. First and foremost Moridin was a warrior, above everything else thats what he was. He didn't like politics, its just who he was and more often than not parties like these were rife with politics and horrible things like that.

Well if you recall it wasn't really Cryo-Freeze. More of a...slowing of time for myself.” Moridin spoke with a smile. It was true that he hadn't really been in cryo-freeze, nor had he been frozen in carbonite or anything similar. The Dreadlord had used a technique of the force to put himself in stasis for a number of years. He essentially froze himself in place using the force, a tactic that as it turned out worked quite well. “Although waking up was quite the...ordeal either way.”

Gideon Argos

G
Gideon noted the looks, but seemed to be anything but perturbed by their looks. After all, it wasn't as though he was the reason for the looks this time. "I'd gladly accept a walk, milady. By your lead." With her father gone and the partygoers starting to fall back into their social groups, Gideon was happy they'd not attract too much attention leaving.

After all, the young Lady alone with a young officer of the Sector Forces? Scandal!

Extending a hand for her to lead the way, one could only imagine the comforting smile that was likely plastered on his face, which was out of sight beneath the helmet.

"Of course," said the woman shortly, "my mistake. I never did see your chamber, only knew you slept. What is it they say about assuming things?" She smirked despite her fault, an honest one at that. Perhaps at one time she might've been someone to know everything, but knowing everything took a lot of time and effort, neither of which she cared to spare so much of anymore. More important things required her attention.

"Is it painful? Or just... mentally unhinging. I'm curious to know what a man of your stature finds to be what he describes as an ordeal..." Moridin was a powerful man, of course, and he'd done things beyond the scope of what many would believe to be real. He was smart, too, judging by what little she really knew of him, if she really knew anything about him at all. At the very least Silencia believed him to be a good man to know.

As much as the dutiful father wished to stay around his daughter on her big day, he also understood that he shouldn't be the kind of overbearing person to stay near her at all times and keep and eye on her. His visit was far from over and would most likely last longer than any other of the guests unless they too had a reason to be involved in close, private family affairs which he doubted any of them really did. That was the benefit of being the father of the birthday girl and the boyfriend or paramour of Lady Lorelei Shamalain, he could come and go as he pleased.

Realizing though that Silencia was busy, Xander set himself to purpose. Moving swiftly through crowds as if his path was already preordained, he slipped into the house and away from much of the party guests. His demeanor changing from a happy one into something that showed a sense of urgency and determination. With every confident stride he reached a private comm terminal and began tapping away at the controls to encrypt the message he was about to send and then, pressing an data stick into one of the ports, he began the transmission and ended it shortly afterwards. The data stick's information was away and he go back and enjoy the party.

Amore gave one last look back and when she stopped to think of what she was doing she had to wonder why. There was no reason for it, really, but somehow... now that she was a Lady, it seemed like it might be wrong. Perhaps improper. Was she expected at the dining hall table? Where people gathering to speak with her? Was she to give a speech? Dance with all the noble lads? Later on perhaps, who was to say there was a timed schedule. People had to eat first, and, she reminded herself, most of them were- "...only here for the food," she muttered.

Releasing a breath she nodded and smiled. Really smiled, and then lead the way out past the courtyard walls once more. Out into the open night air.

"Oh can you smell it," she said over her first easy breath in the last half hour, "the night lillies are blooming. Smells like honey and-" she looked to him and immediately stopped, wide green eyes settling on his rebreather and ears taking in his raspy breathing, "sorry. I didn't mean... can," though she wilted slightly her curiosity did grow, "can you smell things with that?"

Gideon Argos

G
Following in the Lady's wake - and giving a firm glare to anyone thinking to stop her - Gideon kept pace with her as they left the throngs of nobles attempting to curry political favor behind. As the courtyard walls rose behind them, the overpowering din of hordes of people holding simultaneous conversation became a background buzzing not unlike that of a beehive at work.

Smirking faintly at the awkward question, he shakes his head after a raspy intake. "No, no I can't. One moment." With both hands, he reaches up and begins to undo the rebreather, allowing it to hang limply around his neck before he removed the rest of his helmet and hooked it onto his belt.

Scratching faintly at his short black hair he gives her a faint smile before inhaling faintly through his nose. Without the rebreather, his breathing was far more normal and much less... concern inducing. Likely, the rebreather was designed to improve his lungs function and thus overcompensated for something or other.

"I'm not familiar with the smell of honey... but the faint smell of forming dew has an aroma I find quite pleasing."

She had to wonder while watching the man unhook the apparatus if it was impolite to stare. This breathing mechanism must be used for something concerning his health, why else would he wear it so...purposefully? The air here was not particularly polluted, especially not so far out in the country. The girl gave a gentle cough, looking away as he removed the mask and feeling somewhat silly. It wasn't as if the man were getting naked, but even in such a short amount of time his mask and armor seemed to be apart of him. How many people saw his face? she pondered. How often did he remove the mask and helmet? When the Captain began to speak again, his voice sounding curiously natural and uninhibited, she looked back and found herself mildly startled.

He was...young. Much younger than she would have ever imagined. Where Amore had expected to find a grizzled older man she found instead the handsome face of a man who could not have been much past his early twenties.

"Curious," she said with a doleful smile.

Gideon Argos

G
A single brow rose at the smile and comment, and the man's lipped seemed to barely lift into a curious tilt for a split moment or two before they became a line again. "Curious?", he asks with a hint of, well, curiosity. Her smile was clearly a bit sad, and so he wondered what brought it up. Was it related to his breathing? His age? The armor perhaps? As his mind raced, a faint trace of color edged into his cheeks without him knowing.

"Is there something you'd like to ask?", he adds in an attempt to be helpful.

Amore's smile wavered slightly, waning as she forced herself to focus instead of staring listlessly. Of course there was something she wanted to ask. Dozens of somethings! Each surfacing question seemed just as forward and rude as the last. Amore wasn't really sure where to start, or if it was ever proper that she did. He was a Captain, after all, and the only Captains she'd ever interacted with were those transporting herself and her family from one station of Kuat to another. Their discussions mostly consisted of cordial greetings and goodbyes, so her experience in where personal impeded professional were nill.

But...what was the worst that could happen? He might be offended and leave? She was still at home, with a manor full of guests to converse with and entertain. And the cake.

I don't care about the cake, she thought to herself.

"I, ah-" Amore began, wanting to be bold and daring and ask why he wore the mask, or what his full name was, or how old he was, or if he really thought she was lovely, or all those personal things about his life that it wasn't right for two acquaintances having just met to ask or be asked ... but she wasn't her mother. Her mother wouldn't have thought twice about asking them.

"I can't believe you don't know the smell of honey," she settled for simple, "have you never eaten it?"

Gideon Argos

G
A smile eased it's way onto his lips at the very simple question she chose to ask, a smile explained by his response to it. "How often have you known a soldier to smell what he's eating?" The question was, obviously, rhetorical, but in it's own way it answered her question. Yes, he'd eaten honey, but he'd not taken the time to smell it. No time to stop and smell the roses on a planet with as rigid a system as Kuat.

"That wasn't what you really wanted to ask."

It's not like she was hiding that there was plenty of things going through her mind, and he'd had a lifetime of experience hearing 'what's wrong with you' and 'are you ok?' to know that honey was the last thing she truly wanted to inquire about. "If you must know, I have one lung that doesn't work." There was no offense in his voice, in fact... he seemed more amused than anything.

"I'm sorry," her smile wilted but not out of pity, out of being so easily caught, "I didn't want... you probably get asked all the time. You don't have to say...anything..." Amore fell silent, her eyes casting off obscurely.

To avoid any further awkward glances she began walking along the cobblestone path that lead out towards the trees, and beyond them a lake, then wound back through the gardens where the stature of the late Lord Darke stood in the gleaming moonlight.

She walked for several paces ahead of him, mentally chastising herself. Now she wasn't any better than every other person who'd ever rudely inquired about his rebreather. Why couldn't she compose herself like her mother? No one ever knew what she was thinking, and if they thought they did than they were likely wrong. Very, very wrong. Because she'd known that woman her entire life and she never had an inkling. It was really rather irritating sometimes, especially during those mother-daughter moments when she couldn't tell if the woman was looking down at her with pride or some sort of bemusement for how simple she, Amore, really was.

"I haven't met many soldiers," the girl said, deciding not to allow the curiosity monster get the better of her. No, she would make conversation like a Lady and she would ignore the elephant in the room. ...or on the path, as it were. Not that he was an elephant in any way, although the trunk of the rebreather did bare a curious resemblance. Amore coughed gently, "and of course, silly me, I never considered the vast amount of responsibilities you - they, have. You're very busy, of course you don't have time to smell your food."

She made a face, feeling deflated and somewhat stupid. This conversation wasn't going quite as she had thought it would.

Gideon Argos

G
The man merely smiled at her embarrassment, not out of spite, but out of genuine good humor. As she walked, he studied her gait, the set of her shoulders and her facial expression to understand what was going on in her head. When she spoke next, he offered no immediate reply, although his heavy footsteps were still just a few paces behind her.

Reaching out with one gauntleted hand, he sets it on her shoulder so she would stop and then gives it the lightest of tugs to get her to turn. "If I may offer a suggestion, milady...", he says quietly, knowing full well she'd likely feel as though she were about to be chastised or something of the like.

"..relax?", he offers, gaze of ice melting a bit to water as he attempts to placate the her clearly frayed nerves.

Quite honestly, it was a little of both.” Staying frozen in place for decades at a time really tired one out after a while. It made muscles and bones break down, nerves forgot how to work, the body almost shut itself down. That was another reason why every decade or so Moridin had needed to leave his home of Byss and go elsewhere, it was a simple matter of biology. The Dreadlord grinned at Silencia, then stopped walking.

He looked down at the woman, not in a demeaning or angry way, but more out of curiosity than anything else. “So. Your son.”

Moridin said the words with a smirk as if he knew more than he originally let on.

The Captain was met with a deer-in-headlights sort of look for several moments. Oh no, she had upset him. No, please to be upset. Amore suddenly began to picture all the 'quiet talks' she'd shared with her mother, pulled away from present company. They were never 'talks' as much as they were Lady Shamalain softly, sternly, passively collecting her mess of a daughter and piecing the girl back together again in a way that was fit for public.

I'm a mess. Amore winced, biting at her lower lip out of nervous habit, and waited for it.

But then the Captain smiled and was all the more handsome. His lovely blue eyes twinkled and his hand on her shoulder was quite gentle despite the weight and coldness of the armor.

"...relax?" he said.

Still biting her lip and staring completely unabashed, Amore managed a quick nod, a release of breath, and a softly squeeked "Sure."

Easier said than done. The young Aristocrat took a deep breath and released it slowly, allowing herself to relax her posture just the tiniest of bits. Proper was a hard habit to break. "How's that?" she asked, nodding mostly to assure herself that it was working, "better?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom