Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction In Too Deep | Darkwire

Objective 1. Environmental Hazards

Tag: Daiya Daiya Peyton Steele Ruby Jaxx Ruby Jaxx Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud Diocletian Kahmen’’a Diocletian Kahmen’’a Under Foot Under Foot Das Das

Objective: Reunite with darkwire

Poor Hex hears voices in her head

Hex speech to others
Hex speech to herself

Hexes inner voices
'...Neutral...'
'...Doubt...'
'...Anger...'

Coloured '.....' are also words that Hex can hear , but I decided not to write them to reduce clutter

Untitled55-20220518133449.png

"Just be careful yeah..." Hex said to her diminutive friend, she knew that working in waste was his whole livelihood, but down here sucked, big time, and she had grown quite accustomed to his erratic personality and the way he stammered his words from time to time. She watched him descend towards the breach as she took the rungs of the ladder I her hand and began to climb up ahead of Das Das . It was hard going, and the ageing material of Hex's suit only made it tougher as it had relinquished much of its original flexibility. She clicked up, step after step and spoke to Das as she does. "Er... so, do you think Undie is alright? He always gets a bit nervous around me... my friends think he has a crush on me?"

'...no chit...'

Hex wrinkled her nose as was interrupted. "I think he's super cool, but like.... you know?" how could she word it? He's not human? He's not a girl? Either way just seemed a bit rude of her about a person she saw as a good friend. "and anyway, I hear gingers can be hard work" she laughed. She had no way of knowing the horrible situation that had occured for her other favourite ginger.

It didnt take as long as Hex had thought until the came to a steel service hatch with a mechanical seal, she tried peering through the hatch into the room beyond, it was gloomy and she could see nothing but old pipes and what maybe looked like a computer terminal. Hex grunted as she turned the seal and there was a hiss as the poisonous vapour made its way into the room. She pulled herself up and into the room.

in front of her was what looked like a massive fuel junction and intermix chamber, it probably wasn't, but from Hex's screwing around with engineering stuff, that was her best guess. She walked over to the terminal and wiped the grime off of it, it was lit up but locked and it looked like it had been a long time since it was last used "Hey, Das, think you can hack this and see what it does?"

She then opened the comm so Under Foot Under Foot could hear too. <<We've found some kind of pumping substation, going to get Das to press a few buttons for us and see what happens, fingers crossed, or claws.>> She moved aside to let Das work and looked at a large orange and grey bottle on the side. "Oh wow, Starry-D! I used to love this stuff, but they stopped making it about five years ago cos it was making kids a bit loopy, apparently it's corrosive too?" she peered inside the mould lined bottle, with a look on her face that implied if there was any left she just might.

IvOP36J.png

Objective: Protect Ivory
Equipment: Scimitar Railgun Carbine Rifle Thermal Detonators
Tags: Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud | Open

The atmosphere was oppressive and he felt sweat run down his neck, he did read up on weather charts to Denon before he arrived, so this wasn't new. The calm did not last long as there was a flurry of motion, as they ran down the rabbit warrens of lower Denon. A fire hazard if he ever saw one, so far he didn't talk, he didn't enjoy small talk, as there wasn't anything to say that didn't sound awkward and Tovald-ish.

Most of the locations they arrived at had been abandoned as if everything vanished, inside the Fruit and Veg section, Diocletian gazed hungrily at the Strawberries, these were red as blood and looked like they were brimming with flavour, an addiction that was very much a good one. They can wait, there was a job to do, and afterwards, he'll pick the lock to help himself to a few.

Soon enough they got to where they were supposed to which were The Tombs, The old Tram blocked their way and if it wasn't for his visor's anti-glare coating, he would be seeing migraine-sparkling ladders by now which were no fun. He knee-jerkily raised his weapon at the approaching man, only stayed by Ivory's signal to wait. A few moments passed and they were let through.

He had expected something else from what he had been seeing, first impressions give you a fun way of imagining. The scene that lay before them was chaotic and there had been something going on that left people injured, as Ivory was not nearby and people pushing him out of the way, he couldn't get a straight answer, but he did have his earpiece on so he thought his question quite loudly:

:<Donna, what is the situation and what is the plan?>:

Last edited:
wp9bO4V.png

Surprisingly, it hadn't taken long to find someone more qualified. Or at least claimed to be, though he had little doubt the sorts of people living down here had their means of surviving, so he didn't scrutinize the assertion too much.

''Cassus! Wait!''

Caught in the act of retreat, Cassus turned. He only had a moment to catch her, her face buried into his chest.

''I- I'm afraid, Cassus... I'm so afraid... of what will happen to us... to them...'' Cassus knew a lot about fear, more than someone his age really ought to know. He had gotten used to it. It was only recently that he had the opportunity to let other emotions take over the steering for a while. His entire childhood was characterized by a mother's fear that her son wasn't protected enough, even as she isolated themselves on her ship, trained him to fight, and made certain he knew how to use every weapon in her arsenal. Then, when she got sick, motivated by a fear of loss, he put all that childhood into practice. After she died, he was afraid he'd never avenge her if he couldn't kill, so he started adding that to his repertoire of skills.

It got numb after a while, and fear seemed less pressing. It gave him an opportunity to re-evaluate things. To soften them. Let other feelings in. It had made him cocky, and his fearlessness had consequences.

"It's okay to be afraid," Cassus acknowledged her feelings, "Things might have been better if I had been more afraid. Then none of this would've happened." He held her as tightly as she held him.

''Nobody's blaming you! Y- You saved us! Me and Cartri would have been dead or behind bars if it wasn't for you!'' There was a lot he could say to try and correct her that death and bars wouldn't have been a problem in the first place if he had just put himself in check. He decided not only would it belittle her feelings, but it would also belittle his own conviction. Despite the consequences now playing out, in his heart of hearts, he would do it again. Maybe even do more than they did. Cassus was never afraid of bars after breaking through so many of them, and every day the prospect of his own death affected him even less. What he was fighting for, fighting against, made it all worth it to him in the end. Which was part of the reason why he had been able to open up. To accept desire.

Better to live as though there was no tomorrow because until he won... there wasn't one.

''R- Ruby... I got see her, Cassus... W- Would you come with me? Please?'' Cassus pulled her out of his chest and put a hand on her cheek, and nodded.

"Let's go." Extracting himself from her, he put his helmet back on and then gently grabbed her hand. Cassus began to engage software that would help him find Ruby faster through the CryptNet mesh. It seemed as though many of the Shadowrunners that already turned up, or were showing up now, hadn't spread out very far down in the Tombs. It didn't take long before Brie and Ruby were together.

"Hey, Ruby. Been a while." Cassus waved and removed his helmet to show his face.

Brie Jaxx Brie Jaxx Ruby Jaxx Ruby Jaxx

wp9bO4V.png

Objective: Reunite.
Tags: Cassus Akovin Cassus Akovin , Ruby Jaxx Ruby Jaxx , open!
Continuation of Fate of Denon

wysv4yE.png

"It's okay to be afraid," Cassus acknowledged her feelings, "Things might have been better if I had been more afraid. Then none of this would've happened." He held her as tightly as she held him.

Brie always felt great comfort in Cassus, whenever she hugged him or just being around him even. He gave her the strenght she never knew she needed sometimes. She could tell that much, even though they had not been courting for what would be considered by many as long. Shadowrunners were not any bunch of people though, because their backgrounds were often similar to some extent and this particular group were tight and forged by common missions. Brie reveled in his arms until she proclaimed the wish that he would join her, and help her find Ruby. His hand on her cheek was as soft and comforting as the time in the couch at Daiya's place, only then, she had been in an euphoria of strange but happy emotions. Brie gathered her senses, as he took her hand and walked towards the area Daiya had pointed them.

A familiar silhouette but now with a lacerated face emerged at the enterance to the area, and Brie lit up as she saw her beautiful yet wounded big sister still alive. Fighting whatever had happened to her. Brie squeezed Cassus hand lovingly, before she made a beeline for Ruby, the last few steps they had left.

''Ruby!! What happened to you?! Are you okay?!'' she uttered and were about to throw her arms around her sister, but put the reins on herself in the last moment. Ruby was in clear agony and Brie worriedly looked at the laceration and how she seemed to have pain in her ribs. The good things, was that she could talk and walk by herself. She had to be okay, and those facts gave the young shadwrunner some relief.

"Hey, Ruby. Been a while." Cassus waved and removed his helmet to show his face.

Also good thing they seemed to know each other already. Brie had told Cassus about herself and Ruby at Daiya's party, but she told him many things that night too. Some of it was more easy to remember than others. Focus had to be on they all getting together again and getting a few good days of rest, right?

Looked like they were splitting up.

To be honest, the Squib gave a sigh of relief. Not that he didn't like being around the two girls, he did. He just also liked it so much that it was hard to think, hard to breathe, hard to relax.

All right, that was more so Hex than Das. Das was someone he felt like he could have a chat at or go get a drink with.

Hex was... complicated. Or how he felt around Hex was complicated. Or how he felt about Hex was complicated.

Whatever. He just needed to take a breath and focus on this...

"Dihydrogen monoxide?" the Squib uttered aloud, when the writing on the pipe finally registered.

Was this a joke? "Maybe they should have called it hydric acid," he murmured, using a hand to feel along the length of pipe. It plunged under the water, so Ree had to follow it down.

...wasn't the first time he was in over his head in chit.

Even with a light, the solids, silt, and grease in the wastewater made for a murky soup. He could make out maybe an inch or so in front of his face. But between feeling along the pipe and what he could make out, he could see where the pipe had rusted through. But it had also burst before then, and as the Squib worked his way along he started to piece together the reason why.

Tapping the comlink, the Squib spoke back to the pair of teens.

"How are you both doing? I think I found the issue here. Looks like a flow control valve that corroded, and was mechanically designed to fail in the closed position. The pipe must have burst after."

Peeking his head up above the sewage, the Squib took what he knew and started trying to rationalize the drainage system he was seeing here.

"There must have been a pump room above us. If I'm right, it's probably close to where you are."

Here was hoping he was right, anyway. If the drainage system was logical, then it'd just be a matter of getting the pumps working again and restoring the drainage. Then they could start pumping out the tunnels.

Last edited:
Major Faction

Das

All About the <Code>

4tayep6_d.webp

Location: The Tombs | Objective 1: Environmental Hazards | Soundtrack: Everything Is Going Great

rF6l4pj.png

"Er... so, do you think Undie is alright? He always gets a bit nervous around me... my friends think he has a crush on me?"

'...no chit...'

Hex wrinkled her nose as was interrupted. "I think he's super cool, but like.... you know?"

"Oh, he definitely has a crush on you," Das teased, but she reeled it in. She didn't know Under Foot Under Foot all that well, and truthfully, she didn't know Hex Hex inside and out either. Better stay neutral, she decided. She followed her friend into the next room, slowing her steps to marvel at the rusted pipes and conduits. It looked like this station hadn't been serviced in a decade, maybe more.

"This thing is ancient," Das said in disbelief. She squinted at the screen, trying to figure out what exactly the antiquated readings meant. Something about pressure valves, pH levels, chemical leakage...

Chemical leakage? Bingo.

"Here we go..." the teen mumbled as she set to work. She blew off the built-in keyboard, sending a puff of dust flying off the device before setting in on the security measures. They were underwhelming, outdated, and entirely breezy to slip past. She glanced at Hex, nodding for her attention.

"And... got it! Okay, what's next? I can see... oh, chit..." The monitor turned from pale-yellow to an aggressive red as line after line of error codes and pressure warnings flashed across the grimy glass.

"HeeEEXX?!" Das panicked, her eyes glued to the screen while she frantically waved her friend over.

"That doesn't look good..."

Tags: Hex Hex ; Under Foot Under Foot

Ruby was beyond relieved to see her little sister alive and well. She visibly winced as Brie shot towards her for a hug, but was also relieved that her sister didn't tackler her. Still, she put an arm around Brie and tugged her into an embrace.

It didn't matter if it hurt.

"I'm good," she said with a small grunt. "Just beat up is all."

Really, it wasn't any different than any of the many bar fight she'd been in. She didn't really want to acknowledge the fact that it was actually much worse. Ruby didn't exactly know how close she'd been to being captured or taken out completely... but she had a sinking feeling that she was lucky to be here.

Her arm remained protectively around her sister's shoulders for a moment longer as she took in Cassus.

"Hey," she said, lifting her chin slightly in greeting. It really had been a while since she'd interacted with him. The squeeze Brie had given his hand hadn't gone unnoticed. Were they... together? Ruby couldn't help but feel like she was intruding.

"Never mind about me, I'm here --" Ruby said, trying not to be awkward. And trying not to acknowledge that she was worried about Johnny Diamonds Johnny Diamonds and Doc and Anakin. "What happened to you? To you... two?"

wp9bO4V.png

"What happened to you? To you... two?"

Confronting the reality of their relationship in front of a family member should be by all rights a nerve-wracking situation. Still, two factors helped: he knew Ruby separately from Brie, and after so much adrenaline pumped into his system, it was difficult to get a rise out of him for a relatively minor concern. The irony of Ruby asking what had happened to them when so marred by the incident wasn't lost on Cassus, but he supposed that was a natural reaction for a sister, and an older one at that. It wasn't something he was familiar with personally, though he understood it intellectually. He had attempted to make Daiya his sister, or something like it, but his intentions had been misconstrued and subsequently rejected, so they remained something like friends. Relationships in Darkwire seemed to be a tangled complicated mess, and it seemed relationships separate from Darkwire were similarly complex based on Brie's story finding out about her sister Ruby.

"Well, I helped blow up a train." Technically, he had been the backup if Hex had failed. However, the way he saw it, lack of opportunity changed nothing about his intentions.

"Sorry about the mess." Cassus rubbed the back of his head, with a slight frown breaking his cool fascade. He made sure to hang back, and allow the sisters to embrace and check up on each other. Feeling like an intruder to their privacy, he would look away as soon as the topic moved away from him, and hoping that it would quickly. There was a part of him that was anxious his motivations would be questioned right away, and that he would have to unrepentantly explain he would have done more if he could have.

wp9bO4V.png

wysv4yE.png

"Never mind about me, I'm here --" Ruby said, trying not to be awkward. And trying not to acknowledge that she was worried about @Johnny Diamonds and Doc and Anakin. "What happened to you? To you... two?"

Brie glanced between her sister and Cassus, noticing that something made them unfocused and the whole situation was about to become awfully awkward. That was very obvious. She were young, but not dumb neither blind. She wouldn't want any of them to leave right now. Not as they had just been reunited with each other.

"Sorry about the mess." Cassus rubbed the back of his head, with a slight frown breaking his cool fascade.

Brie turned and looked at Cassus with a frowning and disagreeing face. ''Cass! What the kriff?!'' she uttered, baffled by the guilt he seemed to put on himself. Pool Boy hadn't anything to be sorry for, not if Brie had something to say about it. He had kriffing saved them from the monster woman and Cartri most probably bleeding out on that roof. He was as shy and modest as he was handsome and attractive, that boy. That itself wasn't necessarily a bad trait, but the fact that he so easily denied his significance to them being alive disturbed Brie. She still loved- well, loved to be around him. Brie shaked her head and turned back to Ruby. ''Me and Cartri wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for Cassus!'' she insisted firmly and hugged her sister gently, being careful not to squeeze too hard making her wounds hurt, before pulling away somewhat to tell about their escape. ''We were up on this roof close to the train crash, and Cartri got attacked by this... freak of a monster woman, I don't know what or who she were... I managed to distract her so that Cartri could gather his strenght and attack her... We ended up on the fire escape where I managed to call for Cassus to extract us... Probably just in time before that woman came to...'' she explained and kept it to the short story. Cassus always seemed to be there when she needed him the most.

''I'm so glad you are alive, Ruby...! I don't want us to... you know... become separated again...!'' Brie said with a smile, wiping a tear off her face and truly expressing her care and love for her sister. ''I... I love you both, so much... I really wish that... mom and dad were here...'' she added in a whisper and another hug, before she let go of Ruby and dearly wished that they would go back to normal or get used to the new normal as soon as possible, with Daiya and Cartri sorting things out too.

''I... I guess I don't have to introduce you to eachother then...?'' she confirmed, standing by her sisters side and holding her arm and looked longingly with a slight smile at the boy who had saved two shadowrunners lives. Suddenly, Brie were reminded that she hadn't had anything to eat since breakfast and her stomach grumbled. ''Uhh, anyone know where to get a decent meal around here? We should all get something! Haven't had anything since breakfast this morning...'' she insisted and ecouraged them both to not feel the way they seemed to do. There was no such thing as intruding after this mission.

wysv4yE.png

Last edited:

Objective 1. Environmental Hazards

Tag: Daiya Daiya Peyton Steele Ruby Jaxx Ruby Jaxx Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud Diocletian Kahmen’’a Diocletian Kahmen’’a Under Foot Under Foot Das Das

Objective: Reunite with darkwire

Poor Hex hears voices in her head

Hex speech to others
Hex speech to herself

Hexes inner voices
'...Neutral...'
'...Doubt...'
'...Anger...'

Coloured '.....' are also words that Hex can hear , but I decided not to write them to reduce clutter

Untitled55-20220518133449.png

"There must have been a pump room above us. If I'm right, it's probably close to where you are."

<<I think we found it, it's looking pretty busted.... oh chit, hang on>> she left the comm to Under Foot Under Foot open as Das Das alerted her to something dramatic was happening and quickly ran over. "Oh dear, red is usually bad right?" she giggled and furrowed her brow trying to make sense of the system in front of her. The symbols didn't mean a lot, but it looked a little like a circuit board.

"This symbol looks like a power rerouter? Think it might send the pressure elsewhere?" She wondered where? Obviously that wasn't there problem, but she was trying so hard to allow for consequences. "Shall I press it? I'm gonna press it..."

Hex gingerly reached over and pressed at the screen, the symbol changed orientation and the pressure alerts went away. "That seemed to do something."

'...Maybe it rerouted to some corporate swimming pool?...'

Hex let out a little laugh and continued looking at the screen. Somehow, more by luck than judgement, the girls had isolated the damaged pipe from the rest of the system. She lifted out her holo and took a photo of the screen to send to underfoot. <<This is where we are now, we can try and reverse the pumps or something, do you think that's even possible? Try not to get sucked in, that doesn't sound like a very fun ride.>> she looked at Das too and screwed up her face, she was just guessing at all this, but maybe they were winning now? If Das could find her way around the system now the alerts were not blaring, she might be able to tell if the diverted waste was going somewhere safe, or even be able to manipulate the pumps further up stream.

"I'm sure there are corporations that exist solely to make toxic waste."

slQCnMc.png

(Post Soundtrack: "Again & Again" by Against The Current)

Sitting at the center of the immense underground complex, The Slab was as convenient & common a meeting-place for denizens of The Tombs as one could find. It was a circular structure which occupied a Y-junction, where traffic from other areas of the old subway system converged as it once had years ago. The first floor consisted of a raised dais which had been manufactured from detritus gathered from the labyrinth of tunnels - recycled into floors & walls which separated The Slab into sections with private seating, a bar & kitchen, and a common area where visitors could congregate. Lighting was provided in the form of candles, flaming barrels into-which wood & debris were thrown, and lamps which had been hard-wired into the countless kilometers of cabling which still fed power to the city above.

The bar’s proprietor, Gideon, flitted to & fro - keeping up with the constant demands of nearly two dozen patrons who were seeking food, drink, or simply a place to rest from the tiresome endeavor of surviving the events of the past few days & hours. Typically, approaching The Slab, one would have been met with all manner of songs, laughter, and conversation...

But a somber mood had descended upon the establishment like a dark cloud.

Following their reuniting at the Tombs’ hastily-erected medical area, Ivory had drawn Daiya away with promises of food & drink - leading the despondent teenager to a private booth well-away from the other patrons. Entirely out-of-character from the Daiya Ivory knew, the young woman hadn’t said much... only offering simple one-word answers in the affirmative or negative to Ivory’s questions of what she wanted to eat or drink.

In the end (and after Ivory had to twist Gideon’s arm for a proper meal), Ivory had brought them each a small bowl of stew accompanied by chunks of day-old bread, and cafe-cups of lukewarm beer. Knowing she needed to keep up her strength, and already starving from the long trek into the Tombs, Ivory dug into her portion with gusto... but noticed, rather quickly, that Daiya had barely touched her own.

Elbows on the table, Ivory paused after a few bites, watching her companion, and noticing the girl seemed to be avoiding her gaze. In an attempt to elicit some kind of interaction, she gently prodded:

"The soup is good. Do you want some hot sauce or something?"

Yesterday, her world was so big. Galactic-sized, as the young shadowrunner laid plans to explode onto the major screens with a message of power. She felt on top of the world then, nothing was standing in her way!

This morning, her world was shaken. With plans gone awry, Daiya did like always. She made the best of them, and then she put the pieces back together. It was like a hundred other times before, not really, but she was still confident things would work out.

An hour ago, her world was shattered. The teen crouched over her broken and bleeding boyfriend, pouring out her heart to him. His frigid heartlessness broke her as well, leaving little for her to put back together again.

Now, her world was a piece of bread and some stew. She stared at it haplessly. In some, far-off world, another Daiya knew what it meant. Her world made sense, and she was probably happy about it. Daiya wasn't happy, she wasn't sure she was much at all. The bread and stew meant something, just not to her. She couldn't make the pieces fit together anymore, they didn't make sense.

Nothing did.

Daiya shook her head. The woman was talking, not that what she said really mattered. Ivory was trying to be kind, supportive. The teen knew she was supposed to be grateful for that, and some part of her knew she needed to nod. And smile, everything needed a smile. A smile meant that everything was okay, or that it was going to be, or that she wanted it to be. Daiya shook her head, not knowing what she wanted anymore.

Daiya’s wordless response said volumes.

Ivory took a deep breath, then sighed as she leaned back in her chair without looking away. Her brow furrowed as she considered the situation - recognizing that something was, obviously, very very wrong...

She leaned forward, rubbing her palms together, and looked down at the table as she considered what to say next. Before speaking, Ivory glanced around their private little section before lowering the volume of her voice: "Daiya, look. I’m sorry I wasn’t here... sorry I left you alone. I understand things went... really wrong... but, you have to understand these things happen."

Words. Ivory had more words that weren't going to fix anything. Daiya raised her head, only managing to stare blankly past the rebel woman. Something itched in her palm, a compulsion to do something. The teen didn't think about it, she didn't want to think about it. Thinking made her feel worse than an itch, and a breath caught in her throat just to consider it. Her hand grasped the spoon in front of her, a dull movement to gather some of the stew and put it in her mouth.

"Sure," she told Ivory in-between bites. The stew tasted like nothing, she couldn't make sense of what her tongue wanted her to know. Stew wasn't going to fix anything either, it was just better than talking.

The one-word answer was delivered in a robotic, flat tone; entirely emotionless & without inflection. At a loss for the moment of how to respond, Ivory retrieved her own spoon and dug in again; oddly paying attention to the sheen of grease which covered the top of the watery repast. She realized that perhaps she was giving too much credit to the cooks... that maybe the food really wasn’t that good.

With a smirk, Ivory held up her spoon for Daiya to see, then turned her wrist - pouring the contents of her spoon back into the bowl with a wet splattering sound.

"If this is what they’re giving us, what do you think they’ll give Cartri?"

Daiya shoveled another tasteless morsel into her mouth, despising every bit of it. If she managed to discern a taste of it, it was the taste of spite. Like everything else that had happened today, all a product of spite. The teen hated it, and forced herself to eat another spoonful. Her thoughts focused behind the spoon and its horrible contents, and the spoon clattered into her bowl with a splash.

The teen stared at Ivory, as if seeing her for the first time. Her curls, restored to their blonde and pink colors after an encounter with a damp rag, shook in front of her face. She took a thready breath, her heart weighing heavy with the crushing burden of her circumstances once again. "He's fethed, Ives," Daiya started, and even she wasn't sure how she meant that. "He's fethed and he's fethed up. He's got me all fethed up, and I can't fething even with this chit. What the feth does he want from me?"

She started to rise, reaching for the bowl in front of her, "I'll bring him this fething soup right now if that's what it takes. Like, oh my stars, this fething boy needs to be so not my problem, but now that you brought him up, that's all I can think about. What does he need? What the feth does he mean?! Every thing that could have gone well today went straight past pear-shaped and right into the chithole of the fething Abyss!"

Her hands jolted with the words, and the soup tipped out onto the table. Daiya stared at it for a second, ignoring the splashing burns on her skin, before she posed dramatically to highlight the scene. "SEE?! Every fething thing I do! One bomb slightly undercooked, and —poof!— CorpSec's locking everything down. I hear one thing wrong, and —poof!— Cartri's breaking up with me. I can't even eat some fething soup right." She sat down with a loud thud, letting the table rattle and shake under her armored body. Her heart beat so loud she was sure it echoed in the suit, and every breath seemed like the last one she might be given. "You'd better go tell him about that, too, so he can blame me for it. 'Daiya spilled the soup, you're better off without her!'"

The rush of words came on so suddenly, Ivory was actually a bit startled - sitting back in her chair. The raven-haired rebel was careful to keep her body-language neutral; simply listening as Daiya’s emotional outburst manifested. The string of curses brought a barely perceptible smile to her lips, though she did her best to hide it. The sudden toppling of the soup-bowl onto the floor of The Slab didn’t make her jump, and she saw it play out moments before it happened... though she wasn’t sure if it was The Force at work, or just circumstance. When Daiya sat back down, Ivory leaned forward, looking at her friend directly.

"The soup can be our little secret. Any other bad news, and he’s liable to tell you you’re not a-mazing, anymore... which would be the greatest tragedy of them all."

Daiya's forehead pressed so tightly against her eyes it nearly hurt, and her mouth took on the deep lines of a scowl. Her eyes rolled as the teen looked to the side, not willing to meet the woman's eyes. She didn't understand, of course The Donna didn't understand. "How could you know, you weren't here. You're never here! You're always just off with your Coruscant gang, and then you swoop in for the glory. Whoops, none here today, better luck next time!" The thud in her chest pushed her on, even as Daiya was begging to stop this. It had been easier when her words wouldn't come, when the swarm of emotions were too vague and horrible to consider. Now all the teen wanted was for it all to end. "Of course you'd stay away for this one, Ives. You're smarter than him, you're smarter than all of us, aren't you?"

The teen hadn't even noticed that she was crying again, every word strained between wracking sobs. "Stay away this time, don't trust Daiya, or you'll just get hurt like Cartri!"

In an attempt to quiet the girl’s body-wracking sobs, Ivory reached out with both hands - taking both of Daiya’s hands into her own. Ignoring her words, Ivory took the high road; studying the girl for a moment. Her brow furrowed, and she bit down on her lip slightly... then, gave Daiya’s hands a squeeze.

"Hey. I want you to do something with me, okay? We’ll do it together. Take a deep breath in, then hold it for three seconds... okay? I want you to count to three in your head, then exhale in stages... Like this." Ivory took a deep breath... filling her lungs as much as she could with oxygen, tasting the musty air of the Tombs in the back of her throat, then waiting & counting three seconds in her head before exhaling out through her mouth. As she did so, she began breathing out in short bursts - counting five bursts of air out through her mouth until her lungs were empty. She would continue to do this, breathing in through her nose & out through her mouth, adjusting the tempo until both she & the blonde Shadowrunner synchronized their breathing.

If Daiya thought hard about it, she might just breathe out and then never again. She didn't want to think, she didn't even want to feel. If she had to feel, it meant listening to the way her stomach was twisted upside down and inside out. If she had to think, it meant understanding that there was never going to be a happily-ever-after for her anymore. She hurt too much to think or feel, and every rapid beat of her heart only sent that pulsing through her veins. Daiya stopped thinking or feeling, she just breathed. In and out, fast and painful.

In and out, fighting with a lingering whimper.

In and out, staving off her future with just one more breath.

The teen couldn't tell how long it had been, nor how hard her fingers had gripped Ivory's so tight her knuckles had turned white. With every breath of the Rebel woman across from her, she drew her own, finding a somber ease hiding inside that simple act. Daiya wasn't happy or sad anymore, she just was, but what she was right now was breathing steady and slow with the pace set by Ivory. Every breath filled her with the strength to take the next, keeping Daiya going without thinking or feeling, or even talking.

For a few heartbeats, Ivory had closed her eyes... but upon recognizing that Daiya had actually started cooperating with her request, she opened them. She noticed the pain & sadness on Daiya’s expression fading as the young woman followed along with the pace Ivory set - a somber, quiet, and placid mask overtaking Daiya’s slim, pretty face. Her eyebrows, once curled & furrowed in anger, relaxed. The tightness around her throat, bleeding away. The tense, harsh breaths slowly becoming steadier.

Daiya’s strong grip on Ivory’s hands began to lessen... transforming with agonizing slowness from an iron grip to an (almost) feather-light touch. Their cyclical breathing even brought Ivory, herself, some clarity. In it, she could connect with the blonde young woman in a way she hadn’t been able to, before. Daiya was near the breaking point.

In an act of empathy, Ivory drew upon the subtle, quiet powers she concealed so easily - reaching through her fingertips to begin to gather some of the pain, anger, and wretched despair from Daiya’s spirit. Like a siphon, Ivory began to draw these nasty little thoughts & feeling - like black sludge - into herself, where she could hide them to be disposed of later.

She was certainly able to handle such things better than Daiya, anyway. She’d been living in this dark place longer than Daiya had been alive.

"Oh!" Daiya couldn't help the sound escaping from her mouth. With it went the fury that had turned her world to shades of inescapable red, slipping out of her before she could pull it back. The teen wrapped her hands around her midsection, pressing deep to feel it beneath the armor she hadn't bothered to remove. She inhaled, and it came easily to her again. Too easily, and it bothered her for some reason. No, Daiya realized, it didn't bother her. It just didn't anything.

Why couldn't she feel?

"It's so empty," she told the supportive woman. Her blue eyes didn't look up to the Shadowrunner, the Donna, the friend sitting across from her. Daiya ignored the hair that fell down in front of her face, blinking back dry eyes and swallowing over nothing in her throat. Her words came clearly, her breathing was easy, her heart didn't race...nothing even felt wrong anymore. "Is it supposed to be like this? I was angry, but now I'm not. Now it's almost like I just...can't?"

Even if Daiya couldn't feel right now, she still knew there were wrongs swirling around her. The injuries of her fellow Shadowrunners, and her part in responsibility for that. The Corpo's change in response to the mere existence of Darkwire in Seven Corners. Her relationship with Cartri, or the lack thereof. The young shadowrunner could understand that all these problems were hers, in part, to deal with. Still, as she considered each one, she let it go just as quickly. They lacked the connection, that intuitive response she had always relied upon to figure out a problem. To others, it might be just a feeling, but to Daiya those had always been her sturdy companions. "Will I ever feel anything again?"

Ivory let Daiya’s hands go, and slowly interlaced her fingers, resting her fists calmly on the table. She took a final breath, then exhaled - allowing the whirling maelstrom of emotions within her to continue while she became the eye of the storm. Quirking her head slightly to the side, a small smile tugged at the corner of her lip. "Of course you will." She replied, "But in order for all of us to come out of this alive - Cartri included - we’re gonna need you thinking clearly. Whenever you feel overwhelmed, like you were, remember this. It should help you find your center, again."

Daiya took another deep breath, holding it for a few seconds. She breathed it out evenly, trusting Ivory more than herself right now. The edges of her center felt a little like the hole of a lost tooth, and the more she probed it the more she understood the shape it took. It felt unfamiliar until the teen thought of the nights spent chatting in the Blue Flame, idle moments with her friends, or the hours she could spend sketching something that didn't need to be perfect. She had been here before, it only took a little breathing to get back to it.

"It makes sense, Ivory," she managed, unwrapping her arms to open herself up again. Daiya didn't want to be overwhelmed again, she kept her breathing steady all the while, just letting a trickle of emotion return to her. As color seeped back into her world, the teen's eyes took it all in. Part of her still mourned for the hurt around her, with the pain inside of her as well. She took another methodical breath, finding an understanding that she couldn't fix it all right now. She wasn't ready, and neither was anyone else. "I think I'm okay now. Not fine, I don't know if I'll ever be fine again, but I'm okay for now."

Brighter eyes looked back at the mentoring woman, and Daiya even had a short smile to offer. "Thanks."

Ivory returned the smile, silent for a moment before nodding. "You’re welcome." She replied, then stood up and touched Daiya on the shoulder. "Come on. Let’s go find Cassus, Brie, and Ruby... maybe there’s something we can do to help."

(Written jointly with the ever-patient Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud )

Ruby's eye twitched.

Might have been the ribs, or it might have been the fact that her little sister had a...boyfriend. Maybe, more so the fact that she hadn't even known her sister liked someone. Ruby hadn't exactly been there like a good big sister should have been.

Before this mess, she'd been sulking alone, shutting everyone out.

Now, she felt the sting of regret. But it was too late to think about the past. It was done.

Ruby listened as Brie elaborated for about their experience. She couldn't deny the swell of gratitude for the young man when she heard that he'd helped save Cartri and Brie. At least someone had her back, Ruby thought, silently admonishing herself.

"Me too," Ruby returned the sentiment, she didn't want to lose her sister again. Though, the mention of mom and dad made her feel hollow. Ruby hadn't known them like Brie had – even if she barely remembered them now. "Yeah," she said. "We've met before."

Memories weren't exactly a strong suit. How many times they'd met before, she didn't know. But she knew of him enough to remember his name. So, that was something.

"Food. Food would be good," she agreed. Despite the sore ribs, her stomach still growled.

And while she might not have acknowledged Cassus all that much, he was on her radar – and she realized she owed him one for saving Brie. Still, saying things like 'thanks,' didn't come easily to the elder Jaxx. She'd let it sit until it became awkward.

"I smell something that way," Ruby pointed. Was it food? Well, it was hard to tell... there were a lot of smells here. Maybe Cassus knew the way. "How long..." she leaned towards Brie. "How long have you... two... been... you know? An item?"

05P1igL.png

4394gP0.png
"Try not to get sucked in, that doesn't sound like a very fun ride."

Pulling his way through the muck, the Squib hauled himself up along the walls of the tunnel so that he was mostly free of it when the suction kicked it. "Heh," he breathed with a sigh. "Life goals, right?"

He could feel the pull at his feet. A whirlpool was starting to appear on the surface of the muck, as a funnel started to channel into the open pipe.

"It looks like it's working," the Squib commented, feeding the information back to Hex.

It'd take some time. But that ought to at least be some progress down here. "Once the water is pumped out, we can isolate the flow valves and replace these pipes," he opined aloud. Be a proper job of it. Then they could say that Darkwire did something good down here.

Assuming they weren't making it worse.

"Then we should probably trace just where it is that you're discharging now," the Squib remarked, with that idea in mind. "But I'm not going to look a gift pump in the mouth."

Provided that they were not pumping sewage into The Slab, then more than likely everything would work out fine.

Probably.

Das Das

wp9bO4V.png

Cassus wasn't expecting Brie's strong reaction to his perceived truth. Their relationship was young, so neither had learned the ins and outs of the other in any significant depth. This also meant neither had ever expressed displeasure with the other before. Taken by surprise, it gave him enough pause to reconsider his position of guilt. That special quality of Brie, to cause him to reevaluate, certainly contributed to his attraction to her. Or maybe, it was the reverse?

Unable to think of an appropriate response, he opted not to respond. Arguing in front of her sister during their first introduction as a couple didn't seem like a good look, and it helped that Brie was singing his praises. He definitely noticed Ruby's eye twitch, so he overanalyzed the hell out of that. Reading faces was a pivotal skill for a bounty hunter, but it did no favors to his peace of mind right now. He couldn't help thinking, She definitely hates me.

Brie said something to Ruby he couldn't make out, and then the subject of food came up. It was at this point that Cassus realized he was hungry as well. This wasn't a location he was familiar with, but he made a point of remembering different passages as they went looking for Ruby. Some of the symbols looked familiar, so between that and their noses, he was confident he could find them a place to eat. Whether or not he could convince them they were welcome would be a different story.

"Not very long, honestly. Things just got crazy fast. Denon, I mean." Cassus added promptly.

wp9bO4V.png

wysv4yE.png

Life had run past them in such high speed the last couple of weeks, and the events coming with it so suddenly that they all had a bit of an issue to keep up pace with it. No wonder they all felt it catching up, now when they had gone underground to lick their wounds. It wasn't that long ago the Jaxx sisters had discovered that they actually were sisters, and Brie had wanted to tell Ruby, but things just got in the way.

Brie noticed that her sudden and strong reaction to Cassus excusing himself had caught him by surprise, and cursed her bluntness for causing that. She glanced at him and articulated a ''thank you'' to him, for saving them. She just felt that it was wrong of him to blame himself for any of this.

"Yeah," she said. "We've met before."

It was hard to tell wether her sister and Cassus were on good terms with eachother, even though Brie tried to figure it out by glancing between them back and forth. She definitely wished that they were, and guessed that she would find out sooner or later. When they turned to walk towards the smell of food picked up by Ruby, Brie tried to look at her sister for a an answer. A look. A nod. Did she approve? Would she think he was... right for her? Brie surely hoped so, considering that Ruby had been ready to beat other love interests up if they bent a hair on her sister, protective as she was.

Brie was about to answer Ruby, when Cassus beat her to it.

"Not very long, honestly. Things just got crazy fast. Denon, I mean." Cassus added promptly.

He was right, though. Things had gone down crazy fast the few weeks after Daiya's party, and they had been interrupted by the train heist going south and now found themselves in hiding. Brie silently and briefly wondered wether she and Cassus would be able to continue what they started down here. It wasn't the perfect preconditions for it, but Brie were definitely determined to try and make the best of it. If he was open for it. That night, when Daiya so kindly lended her bed to them, it was probably the best ever night she had experienced. Just laying beside him, falling asleep with his arm around her, that had felt unreal and very special for the former lone scrapper girl.

''Uhh... yeah... no, not that long...'' Brie concurred with Cassus. ''You know that party Daiya hosted...? You could say, like... it's... since then...?'' she continued and glanced at Cassus to see if he had the same picture as her from when they kind of became... a thing?

wysv4yE.png

Last edited:
Major Faction

Das

All About the <Code>

4tayep6_d.webp

Location: The Tombs | Objective 1: Environmental Hazards | Soundtrack: Everything Is Going Great

rF6l4pj.png

"No, no, don't just press-!" she panicked as Hex Hex made to hit a random button on the terminal. Das winced, waiting for the worst possible outcome to hit them right in the face... but the screen turned from red to pale-yellow instead. The warnings and error codes blinked away, leaving only the root menu and the logo of some defunct public works department glowing eerily in the center of the screen.

Das looked to Hex with a mixed expression. Relief, mostly. She wore a tired smile as Under Foot's voice came through their comms.

"It looks like it's working."

"Good. That's good," the Shadowrunner said, taking a deep breath for the first time since they delved into the tunnels. Perhaps this would be enough to prove Darkwire's usefulness to the Amavikkan. Her eyes drifted to the layer of much and waste that clung to her suit and sighed.

It'd better be enough.

Tags: Hex Hex ; Under Foot Under Foot

Ruby arched a brow at Cassus when he said things got crazy fast.

Right... on Denon.

Well, she had to hand it to him... things had gotten crazy. And fast, too. Brie confirmed that they hadn't been a couple for very long. Alright, that made Ruby feel a bit better. Not that she had anything against her little sister having a boyfriend. Maybe she'd even have one herself... someday.

Still, the thought of having to ask her little sis for dating advice made her cringe.

She cleared her throat. "Alright, well..." she started. "I'm glad we're down here together." Ruby gave Brie an affectionate nudge with her elbow. This time, she did fix Cassus in a more appreciative glance. But, that hard edge was definitely still there.

Ruby's bad posture was even worse, given her injuries. She hunched over slightly as they neared a place, 'The Slab.' "Looks like we can grab something here."

The mood here was... bleak.

She soon spotted some more familiar faces, Daiya Daiya and Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud . "Hey," she said, giving them a small nod. "Looks like we're all here," she said. But if only she knew, they weren't all here.

slQCnMc.png

(Post Soundtrack: "Everything is Fine?" by Fight The Fade)

Daiya stood up from what must have been a dream. It lasted for a few seconds of blinking, but the dream was almost easier to comprehend. It was just a dream that the District had exploded into chaos above them, and it was just a dream that her relationship had exploded into nothingness in the Tombs below. As the desolate teen found herself breathing in that short, huffing measure like Ivory had shown her, she had to contend that all of it had not, after all, been a dream. She made a point to breathe normally again, blowing a single stream of air from her nose and turned away from the dream-or-not-dream she had shared with Ivory at the table.

Not that anything would ever be normal again.

Her stomach rumbled inside the warm confines of her protective suit. Daiya glanced down at it, and for a moment she might have laughed at how silly it was to still be wearing it. It hadn't protected her from anything today. And after everything that had happened, somehow she was still hungry? She might have screamed at her body, told it to stop acting as if everything was still normal. Instead, the teen just shook her head, catching a glimpse of the long lines for food in the process. Just as well. She set her jaw and turned away, finding it oddly simple to just not think about it anymore.

Daiya set her eyes on the horizon, as far as her eyes could see in the Tombs. They extended throughout the Slab, to its makeshift barrier with the rest of the reclaimed metro station. Her eyes noticed something new everywhere she looked, unsure if it had changed or she had in the last few minutes. The new gleam almost made the teen miss the entrance of the three friends she desired most in this moment. "Over here, Jaxxes! You too, Pool Boy!"

The bright words came easier to her now, in just the same way that the world seemed a little more clear. She beckoned with a grin, nearly a smirk in the direction of Cassus to see him tagging behind Brie still. They came only after a brief hesitation, but it was enough for Daiya right now.

"All of you?" Daiya asked pointedly, glancing at Ruby's jaw and down to the way the woman's breath still came erratically. Hers did too, appearing almost after a moment's hesitation, as if taking a conscious effort to decide if the breath was worth taking. It always was, though it didn't stop the teen from feeling the momentary skip of her heart alongside it. Those feelings tucked themselves away somehow, letting her be the cheery, chipper Daiya she would much rather be in this moment. "And Brie!"

Daiya stepped in to hug her best friend, something she had forgotten earlier. Now that her thoughts were here and now, she pressed herself tight against her favorite person in the whole galaxy. "I kinda don't want to stop hugging you right now, I hope that's okay."

She found it odd to ask permission, but no more odd than everything else that had happened today. Everyone was back where they fit in now.

Or at least Brie was.

With her oldest and best friend with her now, Daiya could figure out where the rest would fit.

Code Of Silence
Factory Judge
Ivory watched as Daiya Daiya took a few moments to adjust, recognizing the flood of emotions & thoughts that poured through the young woman's mind & over her face. She even managed a small chuckle, which was a welcome sight... and a sign that Ivory had helped - at least in some fashion. This helped her feel a bit better.

Ivory turned around in her chair slightly as Daiya called out to the incoming trio; Cassus Akovin Cassus Akovin , Brie Jaxx Brie Jaxx , and Ruby Jaxx Ruby Jaxx . With a smile, she greeted all three of them. As Daiya moved in to hug Brie, Ivory inspected Ruby's face & commented: "More scars for the bruiser. You look like you went ten rounds with a trash compactor and still came out on-top." It was a friendly jab.

With a nod toward Cassus, she reached out, giving the young man's shoulder a powerful squeeze. "Still standing, I see. Good to see one of you is still close to fighting fit."

She glanced at Brie & Daiya sharing a hug, and gave Brie a smile as-if to say "She's gonna be alright."

"If you guys are hungry, better get what you can. Gideon's being a bit tight-fisted on the stew & bread." She gestured toward her bowl, still sitting on the table she and Daiya had been sitting at. The greasy porridge of water, vegetables, and meat didn't look all that appetizing, but it was better than protein paste. With a nod toward the heavily-occupied sections of The Slab, Ivory indicated the crowd of voices and bodies. "You might have to fight for a beer... but if you guys want, I can grab us a bottle of something."

The Mafiosa took what she wanted, whether anyone liked it or not. The fact that most of them had come out of the violence unscathed was cause enough for celebration by itself.

wp9bO4V.png

wysv4yE.png

She cleared her throat. "Alright, well..." she started. "I'm glad we're down here together." Ruby gave Brie an affectionate nudge with her elbow.

''That's the important thing.'' Brie made clear, never being more certain about anything in her life, while giving them both a glance that said she would hate for them to get separated again, not knowing wether the other one was alive or dead. ''Now, we just need to find out how many of us that survived and made it down here...'' she continued in gloom, zoned out and gaze fixed onto nothing as they made their way down the corridors.

"Over here, Jaxxes! You too, Pool Boy!"

The unmistakingly familiar voice of Daiya Daiya snapped Brie out of her thoughts, and she raised her gaze in the direction the voice came from. Brie noticed a slight difference in the way Daiya called for them now. Her bestie didn't seem sad nor angry, and that most probably meant that Cartri's condition was stable. The two lovers had not exactly been overwhelmingly happy to see eachother, with blame being thrown around like confetti, and on someones funeral rather than a birthday party.

Daiya stepped in to hug her best friend, something she had forgotten earlier. Now that her thoughts were here and now, she pressed herself tight against her favorite person in the whole galaxy. "I kinda don't want to stop hugging you right now, I hope that's okay."

''Heh, of course!'' Brie uttered, trying to be as cheery as Daiya was, and hugged her back tightly. She locked gazes with Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud who was silently assuring that Daiya was going to be okay. Brie smiled slightly and nodded. ''Soo... everyone is fine, then? At least of the ones we already met...?'' Brie continued, primarily aiming the question to Daiya as she let go from the hug. Without directly mentioning his name, Brie were trying to figure out if Cartri was okay too after she and Cassus had left them.

"If you guys are hungry, better get what you can. Gideon's being a bit tight-fisted on the stew & bread." She gestured toward her bowl, still sitting on the table she and Daiya had been sitting at. The greasy porridge of water, vegetables, and meat didn't look all that appetizing, but it was better than protein paste. With a nod toward the heavily-occupied sections of The Slab, Ivory indicated the crowd of voices and bodies. "You might have to fight for a beer... but if you guys want, I can grab us a bottle of something."

Upon Ivory insisting that they should grab something an refill their energy reserves, Brie would take a seat beside Daiya and beckon for Cassus to join her other side. Brie didn't raise an eyebrow when the bowl of so called food was served them. She had been living on rations for too long to be picky about food, even though she really appreciated the food once served on The Blue Flame by a certain ortolan chef. Hungry as she were, Brie grabbed a spoonfull of the stew and tasted it. Not a lot, but definitely better than rations.

wysv4yE.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom