Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Codex Force powers template for Lore creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanya Val Lerium

Neutral, Queen of Her people, Neko
So I feel like this may have been mentioned before in the past but if it has or has not I'd would like to bring it up.

From a certain point of view the abilities of the force are infinite. Meaning any force user could learn how to make new leaps in the force discovering and crafting new powers to use and to teach. It is this reason why I am suggesting a force power creation in the lore section of Codex. Since the uses of Factory and Codex are optional, me personally and possibly others would like the option to put these amazing ideas into words, to expand upon what the force could do. To me it would be that solidification in role playing here where I can link the ability and be like this is what it does. Where as right now other writers would have to take my word for it.

I edited from the holocron template below for a very very rough idea of what the template could look like. (subject to change if this becomes a thing)

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: [ State why you are making this submission and what purpose it will fulfill in RP. ]
  • Image Credit: [ Provide credit to the original artist of the images in your submission. Link to the web page where it can be found and state the name of the original artist if possible. Each image used must be credited. Use TinyEye, Google Image Search, or the Image Credit FAQ to help.]
  • Canon: [ Is this a canon force power? If yes, link to the original force power wiki here, if no simply put N/A. ]
  • Permissions: [Please link any Marketplace purchase or similar approvals to use other Writers’ content as part of this submission.]
  • Links: [ Provide links to any relevant threads, characters, companies, locations, etc here. Canon or otherwise. Especially obscure references, or events important to the submission.]
GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Force Power Name: [ What the force power is called or referred to. ]
  • Alignment: [ Is this an ability of the dark or the lightside, is it neutral, or something more nuanced? ]
  • Origin: [ Who created it? Was it made by the Sith? The Jedi? Maybe some other sort of force discipline like the Matukai or the Wardens of the Sky? Link to any relevant characters, faction pages, canon wikia or codex submission if applicable. ]
  • Usability: [ Who can learn this power, Apprentice, Knight, Master? ]
  • Description: [ Give a brief, general description and its purpose. ]

CONTENT INFORMATION
[ Describe in depth how the foce power works, how does it affect the user or how it affects the person/ object it is been used on. ]

HISTORICAL INFORMATION
[ Include a description of the force power's history here. Describe who created it, how and why it was created, any events tied into its creation and existence, etc. If the current owner is diametrically different from its creation. ]

This has already come up before. The Force is infinite. You can already do virtually anything with it - including being a firebender, a D&D druid, a necromancer, a demon summoner, a paladin who smites their enemies with blasts of light and heals the sick, a TK savant, do Matrix-style gun-fu etc. Bottom line, there is no need to sub anything in Codex in order to do Force stuff that goes beyond the standard. Legends is crazy that way. So are the sequels. Likewise, Force ranks are not regulated by the board. Ergo a system that dictates that under such and such conditions a character may use power X does not work.

Furthermore, Codex cannot balance Force powers. For one, it does not approve on balance. All a 'Force power sub' would boil down is people trying to claim that their special snowflake Force power is better than someone else's because it was approved. Hell...you'd probably end up having to cram Factory style ratings into it. Can you imagine a rating system for the Force? I can't, and we should best not try to come up with one. This also does not fit Lore submissions since they are essentially fluff and do not preach or enforce a strict canon. The Force isn't a matter of stats. That's just a game mechanic used in video games.

Last edited:
Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
this is generally brought up twice a year and the answer is and has ben for years. No it isn't needed as on chaos the force is mostly limited by your imagination and fellow writers suspension of disbelief. If you want to rip star destroyers from the sky you can but others don't have to accept it or can choose not to write with you. The codex would also have a hell of a time as there is a force powerfor almost anything and the really exotic can already do crazy stuff. Balancing those could be nightmarish and I teamed up with Ashin Cardé Varanin Ashin Cardé Varanin in a weekend treasure hunt to fight a force god (the second time it was summoned not the first which had a massive party.

Sanya Val Lerium

Neutral, Queen of Her people, Neko
This is why I was suggesting it as a lore piece more describing how it came about and the effects so you can offer the chance to teach it or the people go about understand how would my character go about the progression to learn it myself.

Sanya Val Lerium Sanya Val Lerium I understand where you're coming from. Before I came to SWRP, I had extensive experience on boards where not only were Force Powers regulated, but you also had to have RP back up for almost every power your character/s could do.

The answer regarding submitting Force Powers to the Codex aren't going to change. However, this doesn't mean you have to draw blank. You can add in your character biography what your character can do with the Force, and also add some creativity there. You can take a look at my own biography. While it's outdated, it does include a small section in the strengths/weaknesses about what a 'Blood Hound' is, which is what my character Scherezade is, so people can get a general idea when they glance at it.

I'm totally not more than a year in updating it there though, nope, not at all.

What Tefka stated in 2015, takes pretty much the entire stance for how Chaos handles force powers.

Write it how you want. The force is mysterious and ever evolving.

One of the major reasons why the codex will never have a Force Power Creation tab, is because as soon as there are ratings, regulations, or a listing of a force power or ability, some will take it as "Word of Law" where as it should be only taken worth a grain of salt. The Force can be used in so many ways that can be expanded, changed, altered, or even completely new things! Maybe a unique Species has an ability where they can generate the force from their bodies opposite of a Voidstone?

Legit, the only thing limiting you within RP, is your own imagination. If you want to have a Pink colored Kamehameha wave, then go for it. There are plenty of abilities that could easily facilitate that by altering what it does ever so slightly. Heck, we even have the CIS with their Mandragora where they use Witch/Nightsister Magic and have expanded upon it in many ways.

I ddisagree with everyone that disagrees. The Force, since Star Wars was created, is something that we as a community can expand upon and create and flesh out into something unlike the magic it is associated with.

"The Force surrounds us, guides us" - Ben Kenobi

I know, some people just want to simply roleplay it out but my question to you is: Will other writers know the potential this force power could have? Will other writers be able to understood the full extent of it's powers like we understand the full extent of starships created in the Factory?

Without something like this, they won't. I know, more work, I know of seems cliché but...don't think about the negative effects of this. Think about the positive. Think about how we could expand upon the Force, think about the stories we could tell by simply adding a new template to Lore Creation.

It is not a hassle and if you think it is, then simply don't become a Codex Judge

It is not a hassle and if you think it is, then simply don't become a Codex Judge

tumblr_nyyd195sik1sw97sno1_500.jpg

Codex, Factory, and Roleplay Judges are people with IRL responsibilities and Chaos duties. They don't get paid for the work they do here, after all, and they presumably wanna do other things on the board, too. Like write on it. Expanding those because you want them to or else is frankly self-centred and doesn't give them the appreciation they deserve for the effort they put in.

Furthermore...people have had no trouble expanding on what can be done with the Force over the past seven years, as really any invasion, skirmish or duel thread shows. Hell, a bunch of my chars are elementalists and my interpretation of what they can do is a lot broader than the respective Wookieepedia pages have to say on cryokinesis, pyrokinesis, Alter Environment and Shapers of Kro Var. But I don't need to be allowed to 'sub' a 'Force power' in order to do what I do. And clearly plenty of other people don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom