Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removal of Force Powers from the Character Template

B. All powers and abilities your character has learned must be stated in his/her Character Profile.

Not only was this taken as a rule of requirement, but I personally dislike the usage of the word "powers" in conjunction with the usage of the Force. I know it's widespread, I know it's popular, I know people love reading the wiki and creating/eating stars and emanating Force Light because it's all relatable and easy to link to each other - but not one rule requires you to use these powers you find in the wiki.

To me the Force is mysterious. To me the Force "is", and to delve in the usage of the Force in such Expanded Universe settings like KOTOR or SWTOR is to diminish the Force. I would much rather read descriptive writing of a mysterious method of the Force being forced upon my character from the Dark Side rather than read "I use soul drain on you." Furthermore, I'd like to not have to wonder if you have enough points in your INT stat (or if you have enough scrolls on hand) to realistically create that Sith Fireball you just threw at me.

How you write is up to you, we all know that. I'm sure there are plenty of mentions of Force Powers in the books, too. I'm not against you using them. I'm not against you not using them.

...My stance is that it shouldn't be forced upon anyone to make the distinction between playing upon the mysteriousness of the Force... or just grabbing a standard Force power from the wiki.

So this "rule"/template item has been removed.

This worries me somewhat, but I think any concern I may carry would be greatly offset by a more attentive look by all writers here when Force abilities are used.

I understand the decision, and I want to give it a try. Of course if anyone is power gaming, the usual rules apply, and whether or not abilities are listed doesn't matter when you're abusing them.
So I get the logic.

But if I might offer a suggestion?

Rather than list the Force Abilities, I would like to see the Bio require a list of threads in which Force Abilities themselves were worked on, either as a side attraction, or the main point of an RP.

Examples would be meditation threads, or training missions/scenarios, etc. Discussions between Padawan and Master, Acolyte and Lord.

Thoughts?

But, would that not then just entail that one would just be able to accomplish any goal with the force, I thought SWRP has a thing against custom force based things? I understand where you're coming from, and I'm sorry if I should not be commenting here. But I always thought that disciplines in the force rather made sense. If a sith, or jedi discovers that through certain actions that they were able to drain the life of someone through the force, they may title their own power, and when it is taught as a philosophy and school in order to adapt the skill, it effectively becomes a power. While i agree that people should not be looking at the force solely as a series of powers on a list, though learning the individual 'powers' through your training i think makes a lot of sense.n Especially for a Sith whose goal is power, they would be searching out these teachings to learn the skills.

[member="Tefka"]

The only issue I have with people not listing their Force abilities comes from previous experiences on different SW sites (no drama like that here). People tend to abuse their knowledge of the Force and will just wiggle their nose and poof!....a giant Rancor appears out of thin air. When you address this, their usual response is, "Yeah....my character knows that and can use it." Wiggles their nose again and the Rancor's brother appears. When I use an ability via pvp, I usually help the writer out and either explain what the ability is/does or link it from wookiepedia. There are some nasty abilities out there!!!

[member="Corvus Raaf"].....I haven't forgotten about Force Light!!!! :) (well played).

As for me, I list them because if I don't, I'll forget them. :)

Evan Kenner

The Wrong Side of Heaven
As a force user character who recently embraced the Dark Side, this sounds great. To me, it feels stressful to have to keep up with every single tiny little 'power' my character can use, and even then, having to practice them consistently in roleplay threads.

Maybe i'm just lazy.

Gilamar Skirata

The most important step is always the next one
Arrbi Betna said:
[member="Tefka"]
I did not even know that was a rule o_O
Saaaame

EDIT: So as to not double post,

Ali Hadrix said:
Rather than list the Force Abilities, I would like to see the Bio require a list of threads in which Force Abilities themselves were worked on, either as a side attraction, or the main point of an RP. Examples would be meditation threads, or training missions/scenarios, etc. Discussions between Padawan and Master, Acolyte and Lord. Thoughts?
The site was constructed with base line rules, at least when I got here, that allowed a great amount of freedom and exploration (vague, I know. Sue me. :p ). As we've gotten more and more members and become more popular certain...elements have been introduced that made the necessity to create of more rules that restrict the play that I saw happening not even a year ago and goes back to the days of old.... So i think this is a great step, even if I didn't even know this was a rule thing, and it also forces people to not be stricklers, and those that continue to do so will either fall apart, powergame furiously in protest, or conform or rather...de-conform to the boundaries they've put on themselves and those they interact with.

I for one welcome our mystical overlords. Bring on the silenced cone of cold, maybe you'll freeze off my bunions. Slash, if you don't like how a person plays, don't play with them. I think we have enough members now where that is a safe bet :)

This is an RPG...which would indicate that a large portion of the fan base will be familiar with the Force and its abilities via RPGs like KOTOR and SWTOR. To take away the listed powers and abilities in those RPGs and other games/books/etc may alienate people that RPG on this RPG more than they collectively-write on this RPG.

It could also open the door to much more godmodding given the lack of 'specified limits' that are found through other sources.

You don't have to do this in order for us to mistrust and despise you as an authority figure...we are human and do that naturally :p

[member="Tefka"]

I for one love it. Hardly anything that the Jedi or Sith did throughout the Original Trilogy/ those other films was really stated to be a named thing, aside from their "Jedi Mind Tricks" - there was no "hey Anakin, go over there and give me three Force Jumps!" We just saw it happen, and it was fluid and natural. Even more so in the Originals, it seemed mysterious, mystical, it couldn't just be explained at the drop of a hat.

This isn't an RPG in the sense of a video game. We're writers, whether you see yourself as one or not. It's what we do. And I for one don't believe writers should be forcing themselves into technicalities... It leads to very monotonous stories!

Eugh now I want to start writing again! :(

Gilamar Skirata

The most important step is always the next one
Guys. Stop panicking, he's not saying you CAN'T do it, he's saying its no longer a requirement.

People will still do it because they like lists and like to make their profiles look pretty and powerful. I'm sure the lot of you will be fine. Its not like us NFUs have lists of their super special awesome skills either or even what we own most of the time either.

and tbh its usually the people with the long, neverending list of powers that powergame and handwave anyways

>_>
<_<

:wub:

But you're right in everything you say [member="Baros Sal-Soren"] there are too many example of people getting away with Godmodding already and this is one less measure of accountability. Personally there needs to be something otherwise invasions are not going to be pretty for NFUs. This will result in more complaints and reports, and make it harder for the RPJ's to determine if someone is indeed godmodding.

[member="Tefka"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom