Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Lore First Fleet | Craig's Fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.

tumblr_n584n5ngdq1ru3jl9o1_500.gif
U N I O N

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Fleet Name: First Fleet | Craig's Fleet
  • Classification: Fleet
  • Affiliation:
  • Fleet Symbol:
  • Description: The First fleet also known as Craig's fleet, is a fleet of considerable size within the Eternal Empire. The First fleet is comprised mainly of N&Z Umbrella Corporation top of the line ships. Frequenting Kalidan-Lysenia space, it is not stationed there, and is free to patrol the vast territory of the Eternal Empire. The crewmen and women of the First fleet are some of the most experienced officers and crewers the Eternal Empire has to offer. With the Terminator, a unique Terrorizer class super heavy battlecruiser as the flagship, the First fleet is no small, underpowered fleet.
SOCIAL INFORMATION
  • Headquarters: Craig's Fleet is a mobile fleet meaning it is not stationed at one particular area. However, it frequents Kalidan-Lysenia space.
  • Ports of Call:
  • Goals: Protect Eternal Empire interests, defend the Eternal Empire from any threats foreign or domestic, and create peace throughout the territory of the Eternal Empire.
  • Reputation: The First fleet is known by many members of the Eternal Empire. A relatively new and organized fleet, the First fleet has participated in some large scale battles, and therefore is somewhat known to enemies of the Union.
COMPOSITION INFORMATION
MEMBERS
Ben Craig : Admiral
Jack Norrington : NPC Commodore

HISTORICAL INFORMATION
Not long after the battle for Schesa, the supreme war council came together to discuss the plans for the naval aspect of the Zweihander Union. The First Fleet, nicknamed Craig's fleet was formed by Fleet Admiral, Ben Craig. The gaining of Schesa as the capital and headquarters for the Zweihander Union begged the question of security. The First Fleet was tasked with patrolling Schesa space and other various Zweihander Union holdings. When Admiral Craig was transferred to the ISB and given the rank of Director, Craig's fleet had a new purpose, to not only serve as the Director's fleet, but also to protect assets of the ISB and Department of Advanced Weapons Research.

After the collapse of the Zweihander Union and the fold of it's assets into the Eternal Empire, Ben was given a high position within the Empire's intelligence agency. The fleet now serves at Ben's beck and call as a fleet independent from any branch of the Empire.

5/13/2020 : Description, Historical Info, Intent, links
6/25/2020 : Fleet Size, Composition
10/19/20 : Affiliation, General Information, Historical Information

Last edited:

Zak Dymo

Z
Ben Craig Ben Craig

Thank you for your patience. This is one of those areas where Factory and Codex overlap, so I wanted to take my time going over the implicated rules and also consulting with Factory before giving a written review of this.

I do want to start by saying that this is very good. I only have three points, which are more administrivia than anything.

1. Permissions.

The Have Gun Will Travel ships that you have listed say in the submissions that Zweihander Union can use them, so this is not necessary. However, the link here merely goes to their company listing, which does not address permission.

2. Ports of Call
Ports of Call:
  • Schesa System
  • Varying Zweihander Union territory

Please link to Schesa System here.

3. Size
Fleet Size: Huge [20.5km]

I think this is where we're going to spend the bulk of our focus, so I'll preface my comments by a review of the applicable rules and guidelines.

The general rule on point here is: "Hardline numbers have a time and place. Use them wisely or a Judge may request that you edit or remove them." (Codex Rules, General Submission Guidelines). This is further elaborated in Lore Creation Rules as follows:
  • Fleet and Army submissions are for fluff and flavor. They are not a hard-line numbers game, but a place to collect and organize. Size is a relative field, not an indicator of who would win in a head to head confrontation. Be sensible and reasonable or edits will be required.
  • Only a Major Faction has the resources necessary to role-play having a large fleet, army, etc.
The corresponding Factory rule is "For rules on what ships can be owned, operated and manufactured by a Major Faction, Minor Faction, Company or an Individual, please refer to the following table."
dfuHRsE.png
Note #1: All the ships that you have listed meet the length restrictions for a minor faction per the Factory rules.

Note #2: Size is a relative field. A minor faction can have a huge fleet ("huge" relative to it being a minor faction).

The question at issue here is whether or not a 20.5km fleet is "within reason" for a minor faction.

In answering this question, I made the following assumption based on your submission as it exists presently: Craig's fleet is only one part or component of an even larger Zweihander Fleet.

Description: The First fleet also known as Craig's fleet, is one of the largest Zweihander Union naval fleets.
Reputation: One of the largest fleets within the Zweihander Union, the First fleet is known by most members of the Zweihander Union.
Historical Information: It was decided that the Zweihander Union's growing navy would be divided into different battlegroups. The First Fleet, nicknamed Craig's fleet was formed by Fleet Admiral, Ben Craig.
This would imply that Craig's fleet is not only an example of a large fleet for the Zweihander Union, but also not the largest (merely one of the larger examples).
Taking all that into account, I am reminded of the shared Factory/Codex rule that "only a Major Faction has the resources necessary to role-play having a large fleet." Accordingly, I would ask you to to reduce this to reflect Zweihander Union as a minor faction.

I would strongly recommend removing the hard numbers and addressing the fleet in vague terms. For example, "Craig's Fleet is a huge fleet, which uses X model flagship with X model support ships generally." This would give you the most flexibility with regard to using this submission for a Minor Faction or when Zweihander becomes a Major Faction.

In the alternative, if you desire to keep the hard number composition, consider scaling this back to better reflect a minor faction (e.g. an organization that lacks the support of multiple planetary economies).

Over to you for how you'd like to craft that. Please tag me when you have completed your edits, or let me know if you have any questions in light of my review.

Zak Dymo

Z
Ben Craig Ben Craig

CTfE6Ja.png

mCZhCyr.png

The answer to your question is yes, each of those ships (individually) is usable by a minor faction per the factory rules.

Collectively, however, that's still a lot of meterage for a minor faction combat fleet, if its composed of one or more of all of those. So, my suggestion may not get us where I'd hoped that it would.

Let's see if we can meet in the middle. Give me an overall meterage that you want for your fleet. Plug it into Fleet Size, if you would. For composition, I would list that the Terminator (I really need a post where Ben is on the bridge of the Terminator and tells someone "I'll be back." Please tell me this is happening) is the flagship and may be accompanied by any of the following, with the ships listed as you have them.

Then, in any roleplay thread where this sub is used, you'd be able to build your fleet as you see fit up to the meterage that you and I agree to. How does that sound?

Zak Dymo

Sounds good to me, so for clarification i need to have a post with Ben on the bridge with those exact words correct? Sorry for any confusions i have and misunderstanding your response. I'll get to editing it tomorrow

Zak Dymo

Z
Ben Craig Ben Craig

The part about Ben being on the bridge was just a joke, and reference to Arnold's line from Terminator II: Judgement Day.

To clarify: Give me an overall meterage that you want for your fleet. Plug it into Fleet Size, if you would. For composition, I would list that the Terminator is the flagship and may be accompanied by any of the following, with the ships listed as you have them.

Then, in any roleplay thread where this sub is used, you'd be able to build your fleet as you see fit up to the meterage that you and I agree to. How does that sound?

Zak Dymo

Thats my bad lol. (kicking myself for not knowing that Terminator reference, just watched that movie the other day xD)

As stated before, sounds good, i'll make the necessary edits. As for requested meterage, would at least 15 km if not higher be reasonable? The original one I had was around 20 km, i believe you said that was too much, so i'm fine with anything above at least 10km if possible.

Zak Dymo

Z
Ben Craig Ben Craig

I admit, I feel as though 10km is on the high end for a minor faction's component fleet. But, for the same reason, I think that number fits here as this is meant to be a Huge fleet relative to a minor faction.

I'll explain my rationale, which is based on several recent invasions that featured fleeting. On the low end of the spectrum, OPA and TSE fleeted against each other with just 5km each (reference here). On the high end of the spectrum, CIS fielded an 82.5k fleet here. What seems more the norm: TSE and SJO were fleeting with battlegroups under 20k (reference here, 6.3k opposition here, 4k opposition here). And here, UCM fielded a battlegroup under 15k in a Major Faction invasion. So, more often that not, it seems that the Major Faction battlegroups and component fleets that we see in use on the board are under 15k.

More simply put, 15k is more than I see Major Factions bringing to invasions. This is not meant to be a hard numbers game (to refer back to our rules), but, at the same time, a component fleet for a minor faction should be notably diminished by comparison to the Major Factions.

So I'll propose under 11km (so it need not be 10.0 even).

Those are my thoughts, over to you for questions or comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom