Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feedback Poll: Do You Use The Chaos Timeline?

How Often Do You Use Our Timeline?

• Total voters

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Ya know. I've been thinking about how little I reference the Chaos Timeline recently.

When it comes to building new stories these days, for me anyways, most of the big and small timeline events are actually best left to the past. As far away from new characters or new groups as I can make them. Even the golden-oldy factions too. I'm not sure if it's the baggage, the shrug I get from new members, or just remembering to fact check everything as I build a new narrative. Heck. I forgot where we even keep the site's timeline for a moment today. And that's telling. Ha.

Anyways. So, I was thinking about making a suggestion to staff about condensing all of the timeline articles down into just one big one. Something like, "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... Stuff happened." ...Lol. But I decided against it as I wasn't really sure how the community would feel about *condensing* the articles. So I guess I'll ask you guys instead.

Poll time.

Or just comment below about how you feel these days about the usefulness of our timeline. Thanks! :D

I tend to base how long ago events happened by it, ie the Eshan and Taanab invasions for particular characters of mine. Albeit very loosely as I don't age my characters with each update like some writers do. The only character of mine I've heavily based things around in regards to the timeline is Auburn, and that was mainly just how long ago the Netherworld event was.

Yes.

I think what came before matters and ultimately, building with the history of Chaos and aging my characters ect - it gives a frame of reference for the scale of things, the magnitude. And without that, none of this really means much for me.

If i were to make a new character then I would check to see what major things happened and see how that may have influenced them in some way. Outside of that I don't really check given that I tried keeping up with a set time scale on another site years ago, and few people ever aged their characters there even. It can be difficult to remember where you left off if you end up not posting regularly.

I reference various events throughout the Chaos timeline mostly due to Darth Voracitos, having existed since the beginning I often look back to important moments in his life that also happen to correspond with important moments in the galaxy thus far. It especially comes into play with creating characters, NPCs, sometimes artifacts, species, etc., etc.. In other words, though I don't check constantly, I often find myself looking at it.

No, not really.

I reference some of the events detailed in it - Gulag Virus, Clockwork, Netherworld and Omega. That's it.

How much time has passed and how this affects character progression, aging and so on is something I determine myself.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Thanks for the feedback peoples. As of this post 23 people voted. Which, is a smaller opinion than I'd hoped for yet, also rather conclusive and telling in it's own way. :p

Again, thanks for voting and I hope you have an awesome day.

@Scherezade deWinter

Ah, that explains it. x)

I read all of the timeline and admit I found it a lil confusing and difficult to digest, that and it took me a little while to break myself of the mindset that this somehow meshed with the timeline/events of the established canon material though granted once I broke myself of that kinda thinking things became a lil easier to figure out.

I found it all quite fascinating, though due to how expansive and far reaching the events appeared to be it did motivate me to make characters that were far removed from any of them, mainly just so my characters could be legit ignorant of events that most folks are glaringly familiar with.

Gilamar Skirata

The most important step is always the next one
It's a good way to contextualize relationships between the major factions and is a really good way to ground the universe we're in/offer a sense of progression (since most of the other ones built into the site are exclusive to majors now) but generally with most of my characters I just follow the "this site event was before that one, this big member event happened after this site event (or if the thread is specifically set after another) Gil is the only one I age really along with the site. I think 6 months for 2 years is alright considering the amount of wars and huge battles we have.

But I'm also just a lore junkie what do I know

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom