Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Character Aging - How Do You Go About It?

I'm curious as to how and if folks on Chaos do it.

I plan to age Cedric up significantly if he survives long enough to do so. At some point, I plan to jump him from twenty-five to thirty-five, then to his fifties.

How do people write off their character aging when other characters remain young? There is no enforced passage of time here, so I'm more or less wondering about a feasible method for my character to get older naturally. Could I say that his time around certain star systems meant time moved faster there compared to the rest of the galaxy? Should I shelve him for awhile for a decent amount of OOC time and then reintroduce him as his older self?

For those of you that like to age their characters too, how do you go about doing this?

I think the board goes year by year IRL time, but large scale events(like the Republic Sith war) can affect that. I started 5 years ago, but Vulpesen has aged almost fifteen years since events like the Galactic War couldn't have happened in a 1 year time span. Basically, it's however you feel the Galaxy is progressing.

For a more concrete answer, you can probably look at the site timeline and figure out how old your character was when you entered your first event, then go on from there.
[member="Cedric Grayson"]

Tabigarashu Madara

Good things come in smol packages
Oddly, this just came up for me. I tend to go purely by RP and how long I set between various roleplays. If I do a lot of RPs right next to each other, time wise vs. a bunch of RPs with weeks or even months of time skip will alter how fast a character ages in my head.

You could also go by board time. Large events often come with a time jump of 1-5 years IC.

Like most things on Chaos, it's a pretty personal decision how works best for you and your characters to explain it. When I meet with characters that mine once knew that have aged at dramatically different rates, I just gloss over it because there's no way to fully reconcile that from person to person and their RP styles.

I think over the board it's very case by case. As time is fluid, so is the aging for people. Usually that's not a problem unless you're trying to link up two contradicting timeliness. For me, I've aged Adron depending on major shifts in his story or things around him. He's aged about 8 years in the past year alone. But I doubt I'll age him much at all, anymore. Not until it's nearly required.

Alexandra Feanor

The Lady in Silver/Grey Historian

I generally do 2 on board years for 1 off board one, as thats how the timeline has generally progressed in the past via Events. Though with the time jumps I generally stay in line with the timeline in that manner as well, aging up when the story is applicable, but aging up none the less.

[member="Cedric Grayson"] I've played characters from infancy to parenting and sometimes beyond. I go by what feels right, since I RP like mad. Sometimes after 20 threads I feel like the character is ready to age up, sometimes after a hundred threads. Time is wibbly wobbly, I mostly just make sure that key points that happened in time remain relative in time when compared to each other.

Perfect way to describe Chaos Timelines in regards to the individuals
abce509dfef2516b070393d2403a9162.gif

Maybe we can make an event outta this...

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
Every so often it occurs to me that Cyrus should probably be a year or two older so i go and update his profile.

Then i snoop around to see how many other old soldiers are still active and update geriatric rants as appropriate.

I age them up when it feels right. Some characters I start off as children, and obviously they are going to age at a faster rate than characters who are already adults. Sometimes a personal storyline will bring them to the point where it feels right, if they're a Force User then following their progress and any ranks they might be achieving can be a good marker for ageing them up. I try not to follow the boards set timeline for my characters ages, I never explicitly state "it is the year 450aby!" so when a thread comes up that is a set date, such as events (which I honestly don't really participate in these days anyway) it doesn't throw my plans through a loop. If that makes sense.

[member="Nixia Amabilia"]
Pretty much, yes.

Like everyone else has said, its a case by case basis. I've aged Tathra 4 years since he came into existence, because I feel he's done plenty in his time to grow and thusly, aged him as such.

I age characters up when it feels right to me.

Sio started as a twenty-something Jedi Knight in 2013. A lot of stuff happened to her since then. Now she's in her forties. I tend to ignore the board timeline since it's often at variance with how my personal timeline has proceeded.

Caedyn Arenais

C

Older Characters I've found tend to be more subtle in their aging, so much so that it rarely affects the other writers you're role-playing with, especially if you're wearing a mask ! A ten year jump for most people won't tend to change things too dramatically until you hit the sixties and then there are obvious aging signs that change their physical appearance and likely require an edit to your Avatar or Signature.

For Caedyn, I started role-playing him at six years I think. This is a character that does however directly affect others such as [member="Loreena Arenais"] who's his twin and the pair age together obviously, but also [member="Asha Hex"] who is three years his senior and his Mentor in training. In most cases I have to agree with the others in saying do what feels right to you, generally most people will accept it and adapt to any changes as these are your characters and a means of your enjoyment on the board, adding things to change and develop your character.

With Caedyn, I have the enjoyment of taking things slow and making his story drag out. Obviously with Veiere I've gone the distance and now can relax a little but the thought has definitely crossed my mind and will do again. At the end of the day, you do what you find will bolster your enjoyment in playing your character. After all, writing partners can change but you're stuck with your character. You might as well enjoy them as much as possible !

Younger characters, I do it whenever it makes sense, or along with other people's characters if they're part of the same cohort or what-have-you. My centuries-old characters (I have a few, lol), I go by the board timeline.

Considering I've gone from birth to almost 30 years old with this character, I just jump ahead on a whim and go with it until I hit a point where aging just isn't necessary for story. Then I just go by board time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom