Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Breshig War Forge Consolidated B/DP-01M Chekar-class Boarding/Drop Pod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shuklaar Kyrdol

CEO of Breshig War Forge Consolidated

y43pnZR.jpg

2fb3e135b4a9417f4148d5277a4bd5df.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
STANDARD FEATURES
ADVANCED SYSTEMS
STRENGTHS
  • Stealthy: The craft's reflec coating and electronic warfare suite make it a difficult target to detect and engage.
  • Jack of All Trades: The Chekar boasts a high speed, maneuverability and is a tough little craft to boot.
  • Shield Penetrating: The Chekar's individual field disruptor grant it the potential to bypass planetary shields as well as the shields that protect the ships or stations that the crew may be attempting to board.
  • Droid Autopilot: The Chekar doesn't require a pilot, and is fully capable of being instructed on what craft to board or being given landing coordinates and then operating entirely autonomously without intervention from the crew.
  • Manda Tactical Interface: The Chekar benefits from having the fighter based version of the 'Manda' tactical battlenet as well as the ground variant, allowing it to benefit from sensor and targeting data from both accompanying fighter craft, capital ships as well as ground units. Additionally, the crew can benefit from the system's threat tracking and analysis features, allowing them to more easily avoid threats and get to their target.
WEAKNESSES
  • No Internal Defenses: Once the pod's deployed its contingent of troops and its Cabur automated defense turret, save for the blast door, there's nothing keeping enemy troops from decisively dealing with the pod.
  • No Hyperdrive: Once deployed by a vessel, these pods have no means of leaving the system other than their carrier. Additionally, they cannot be deployed into a system independently of their carrier either.
  • No Weapons: The Chekar doesn't have any weapons, relying on its speed, maneuverability and resistance to get it to its target intact.
  • Vulnerable Once Docked/Landed: Once docked or landed, the pod's completely immobile, and as a result is completely vulnerable to fire.
  • Tough Nut: Particularly tough hulls will take longer to cut through, potentially risking the crew in their largely immobile boarding pod.
  • Shields or Field Disruptor: Once the shield disruptor activates to allow the craft to bypass shields, it's own shields go down and only come back to life precious few moments later.
DESCRIPTION
"This thing is a shabla coffin. Why couldn't they give it stesr'gar plating?"
"You want a stesr'gar coffin?!"
-Two Strill Securities Kare.

Rather than waste space on their warships for separate drop pod and boarding pod launch tubes, Breshig Hypernautics developed a boarding pod/drop pod combined vehicle to solve this particular problem. The Chekar has been revised from time to time since, and is now produced by Breshig War Forge Consolidated for Strill Securities as well as their various clients. Purposely designed as an unarmed craft, the Chekar attempts to make up with high maneuverability, speed and resilience. The company felt that given a boarding/drop pod's only task is to take its passengers from point A to be as quickly as was possible while avoiding fire, weapons were an unnecessary expense. They in fact instead installed a specialized clamp for a Cabur-class automated defense turret to provide supporting fire for the pod's passengers.
The craft's boarding procedure is relatively simple. Once launched from the host ship, the craft makes for the enemy ship at standard burn so as not to give off a larger sensor signature. However, should it become necessary, the powerful engines installed allow it to reach high speeds. Countermeasure systems, both physical and electronic give it the potential to avoid a majority of incoming fire, while its powerful shields and strong armor will more often than not last against what it cannot avoid. Once on final approach when boarding an installation or ship, the pod waits till it is in point blank range to fire its power harpoons. Even rapid maneuvering from starships at this juncture will not prevent the pod from reaching its objective, as the power harpoons reel the ship in with only minimal aid from its thrusters at high speed. At this point, the craft employs its plasma cut boarding device. The time it takes for the device to cut a hole in the hull is depending on where the pod has docked. Hulls made of particularly resilient metals such as Phrik, Beskar and the like will take extremely long to cut through, endangering those aboard to prowling starfighters.
Once docked, the pod doesn't possess any internal weapons, and is only protected from enemy troops by the turret and troops it deploys. However given that both of the above are likely to move off to complete whatever objectives that they might have, the pods are usually left unattended with only a blast door and airlock to prevent unauthorized access.
To facilitate the craft's passage through ship, installation or planetary shields, the Chekar includes a field disruptor, allowing it to pass through at the cost of temporarily losing its own shields. Field data gathered over the years indicates that while the loss of the shields does result in a noticeable decrease in protection, at that point the pod is already on final approach and there is usually little enemy defenses can do at that point.
Additionally, a Manda tactical module, both the starship and the ground vehicle version give the passenger and pilot access to information that allow them to take the safest flight path to their target as the system makes use of data from other vessels as well as the craft's own sensors to ascertain the greatest threats to the pod. For troops whose armors aren't installed with a Manda tactical battlenet module, presuming the system is in use by the rest of their forces, an installed holoprojector can display relevant data to each passenger as well as the pilot. Because of the Manda modules alone, these pods tend to be recovered and reused whenever possible, though it is not unusual for pod installed Manda systems to develop quirks, just like their starfighter mounted counterparts.

Last edited:
Shuklaar Kyrdol Shuklaar Kyrdol

• Shield Penetrating: The Chekar's individual field disruptor allow it to bypass planetary shields as well as the shields that protect the ships or stations that the crew may be attempting to board.

As the ratings are balanced, and everything relevant to the submission is linked - the only thing I'm having trouble with is the quoted section above. This implies that the field disruptor works on everything more than just conventional deflector shielding when the item in question was only used against ray shields in Legends canon.

My suggestion here would be to soften the wording and mention that this system only works when facing conventional shield systems - as Xythan or Molecular barriers would see this sardine can vaporized on contact, or smashed to bits on the multiple layers of a projected barrier.

Shuklaar Kyrdol

LT-137 LT-137 . If you read the first line on that, it does say it counters existing shield technologies. So given the article does conflict, I suppose there is some room for differing interpretations. That said, the same can be said for the Xythan force fields you mentioned, as in their one canon depiction, they clearly weren't designed for larger than personal scale use. In that case, the generator was actually static, and was used to imprison Obi-Wan, if you remember correctly (that is, if you've read The Cestus Deception).

Furthermore, molecular shields don't actually stop physical objects. So the field disruptor wouldn't even be needed for the pod to bypass a molecular shield.

In any event, I've submitted my own field disruptor that should assuage your concerns. Thank you.

Shuklaar Kyrdol Shuklaar Kyrdol - Taking a single line of text and justifying abilities with any certainty or absolutism isn't what the Factory's about. I have read the Wookieepedia article repeatedly over the history of making submissions and judging them during my time on the site. You'll note that the appearances and sources also play into my interpretation, alongside the information drawn from other articles that either flesh out the device's intent and capabilities in question. Both of which I'll be linking here for posterity: the Evasive-13 Individual Field Disruptor and its more powerful successor, the Evasive-226-R Field Disruptor.

At its lowest setting, the Evasive-13 could pass through low-powered energy fences and maintain continuous use for over an hour. While at maximum setting it could pass through most military-grade fields, maintaining this setting would drain the power cell in less than four minutes.

I've quoted this portion from the Evasive-13 Wookieepedia article, as it serves a two-fold purpose in my eyes. The first is that even in Legends canon, they utilize the lack of absolutism that the Factory tries to uphold. That there's potential for systems like this - not to bypass any and all shielding systems as your submission(s) claim. The second is that it further fleshes out the point I raised in my previous reply. Thanks to the context clues in both the IFD article and the Evasive-13 - we now know the timeframe that these articles are based around, which in turn helps us determine what could be considered the existing shield technologies these devices were designed to counter. Most prominent amongst them during that time - ray shields.

We don't even know if they'd work with particle shields, but everything past that point is speculative and entirely open to interpretation.

But, there-in, lies another issue - as deflector shielding varies in intensity, compositional structure (layered shielding, ray over particle, etc.) as well as their capabilities. We've seen physical objects pass through Ray-shielded enclosures in the Phantom Menace because they were slow enough. I've also seen mention of shielded starships being able to force their way through ray-shields, but at a heavy cost to the ship's systems and likely the crew inside - the latter of which I'm uncertain of, and am attempting to source the relevant article as you read this reply. That's not even mentioning what would happen to organics if they tried going through ray shielded barriers unprotected - as the Legends article details that Obi-wan, Anakin, and even Palpatine would've been vaporized on contact if they tried touching the barrier. While speculative conjecture, who knows what would've happened to anything non-organic that found themselves in the same situation and attempt an escape or was fired through the intensely concentrated energy field.

As for Molecular shields? You are correct that they do not stop physical objects; however, that doesn't really change how it reacts to organic or non-organic matter - as they're likely and have been treated as advanced ray shields in the past. This then brings us back to the information regarding ray shielding, but I feel that it wouldn't be prudent to repeat in an already wordy response from my point of view.

However, I digress. As I see that you have submitted your own take on the IFD - which it's been approved by another FJ - my concerns are essentially invalidated until the submission's reported. With that being said, on the other hand, that doesn't change what I've suggested in my previous reply - and am now asking for on this submission.

Please soften the wording within that quoted Strength to remove the absolutism.

Shuklaar Kyrdol

LT-137 LT-137 No attempt to do so was made. Merely pointing out how your response actually furthermore proves my point that both articles do not entirely speak of their potentially unsaid capabilities as a technology regardless of what either the wookiepedia article state nor how they're used in the particular cases where they appear in canon. That case was brought up in particular to demonstrate such. However, this is neither the time nor place for such a discussion, nor do I believe a lecture on absolutism with particular regards to factory rules is required in this particular scenario.

Additionally I'd prefer it if you referred to potential reporting of a submission as an 'if', not a 'when'. Such a word could be taken far more aggressively than you are perhaps intending. As naturally, text is somewhat more difficult to discern context from.

That said, the wording's been relaxed. Thank you very much for your time and your feelings on the matter, specifically from one with such a storied factory portfolio such as yourself.

Shuklaar Kyrdol Shuklaar Kyrdol - I would wholly disagree with you regarding whether or not an attempt was made, as your perception is very different from mine. But, that's for another place, and perhaps - another time.

However, whether or not a submission is reported is entirely dependent on how it's used in a thread and the opposition's reaction - causing them to generate the report in the first place. My concerns regarding said submission(s) are a wholly different note, and as I said - it would only matter when it's been reported and likely pulled for a more thorough dress-down if any imbalance was found. I can't say with any certainty that this submission, or its companion, will be pulled as they haven't been utilized in Open RolePlay.

Nevertheless, as you've changed the wording to remove the absolutism, this submission is Approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom