Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Character's Primary Lightsabre Style

What is your character's primary lightsabre style?

• Total voters
[member="Daella Apparine"]

tumblr_inline_mgvbc8IGuX1qd54da.gif

She is too cute.

Kung Seilois

Freelancer Extraordinaire
Ashe the Reaper said:
LOL they are when they're friggin' Sith Alchemy and Force-Imbued. xD

Edit: Also, traditional katanas - I mean the ancient ones - were folded several hundred times and then reforged. They were able to cut metal and we are still unable to replicate them with modern methods to this day, leaving it to remain a mystery as to how they were truly done.
You realize they were folded over and over again because the Iron in Japan is incredibly flawed right? That is why they did it. It was not to make the greatest sword EVA because folding over and over makes it a super sword. They did it because they had to. The reason Europeans only folded their blades a couple of times is because they had superior Iron and thus did not need to work as hard to harden the blade and balance out the impurities in the metal.

Katana are they single most over-hyped blade of all time. Because of their hardness that comes with folding so many times, they chip very easily which is why most styles involve cutting as quickly as possible and keeping the fight short, because the blades could not handle drawn out combat as European and Middle Eastern swords could.

A katana can not slice through another sword. To believe that is being ignorant. At best, you can cut through thin sheet metal which a longsword can do as well. A katana cannot cut through chainmail or other basic forms of armor. If you wish to talk about 'ancient blades' Viking blades had a carbon ratio that is incredibly close to modern high-carbon steel.

We can make superior Katanas now then they could have back then. This is not opinion, it is fact. We have superior metal as well as superior production methods. The reason we no longer fold them 'hundreds of times' is because it becomes redundant with the quality of metal we have.

#StopFeedingKatanaHype.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Kung Seilois said:
You realize they were folded over and over again because the Iron in Japan is incredibly flawed right? That is why they did it. It was not to make the greatest sword EVA because folding over and over makes it a super sword. They did it because they had to. The reason Europeans only folded their blades a couple of times is because they had superior Iron and thus did not need to work as hard to harden the blade and balance out the impurities in the metal.
Various existing steels as well.

Kung Seilois said:
Katana are they single most over-hyped blade of all time. Because of their hardness that comes with folding so many times, they chip very easily which is why most styles involve cutting as quickly as possible and keeping the fight short, because the blades could not handle drawn out combat as European and Middle Eastern swords could.
There are a good half a dozen different forging techniques throughout the eras, most of which contribute to the blade's ability to absorb and mitigate shock.

BS_789_00.jpg

Kung Seilois said:
A katana can not slice through another sword. To believe that is being ignorant. At best, you can cut through thin sheet metal which a longsword can do as well. A katana cannot cut through chainmail or other basic forms of armor. If you wish to talk about 'ancient blades' Viking blades had a carbon ratio that is incredibly close to modern high-carbon steel.
No one said it was to cut through another sword. A katana can factually use less energy to cut more matter because of the way it is shaped and engineered. A longsword is a much more mundane item. Even modern katanas can cut through a pig carcass, with olden ones somehow able to cut even more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH_oLEllyvg

Kung Seilois said:
We can make superior Katanas now then they could have back then. This is not opinion, it is fact. We have superior metal as well as superior production methods. The reason we no longer fold them 'hundreds of times' is because it becomes redundant with the quality of metal we have.
Please give your source a noose and tell them to hang themselves, they're wrong. Besides, modern production methods do not replicate some of the still mostly-unknown hand forged techniques of the past. This is a straight and solid fact, look it up on the History Channel website or something. Seriously. You had some Wikipedia 'facts' right there....

I have never been so thoroughly disappointed in a long time.

I genuinely believe that in order to write effectively with any form of combat, one must know it proficiently enough to practise it IRL. Since I don't, I write what I seem to think up at the time.

Kung Seilois

Freelancer Extraordinaire
No. Iron. Steel is not found naturally. You create steel from Iron. You do not mine steel. You get steel from removing impurities from Iron. The better Iron you have, the better Steel you are going to get. Japan had crappy Iron thus had crappy steel which is why they folded over and over again to spread out the impurities and remove as much weak points in the blade as possible which is the point of folding a blade. Iron to Steel. I should not have needed to explain this.

No, that isn't how it works. When you fold a blade over and over again, it becomes hard but brittle. This is a fairly obvious outcome. If you do not fold a blade as much, it retains some of its flexibility which allows it to better absorb blows. Longswords and other European/Mid Eastern blades were not folded as much due to the superior Iron (Thus steel) and so did not need to be folded to spread out impurities because there were less impurities, because of the less folding, the blades were flexible thus not as brittle thus better at sword to sword combat as well as against armor since they were less likely to chip.

You do realize that Europeans and Middle Eastern nations also realized that curved blades are easier to cut with? In fact, Europeans have hundreds of different variants of curved blades, but the reason Straight Blades still persisted was their superiority at armor penetration. A curved blade is primarily a cutting weapon, piercing is superior at getting through armor. A curved blade can be thrusted with, but it is not as good at getting through cracks, or getting the same amount of force behind it.

Longswords can slice through pig carcasses. Would you like me to find videos of these mundane swords slicing through pigs, sheet metal, and by letting paper graze against them?

[member="Ashe the Reaper"]

Nyxie

【夢狐】
I'm not about to argue physics with the uninitiated. :3

The Longsword is an entirely different weapon altogether serving entirely different functions of its own.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Ashin Varanin said:
You don't run your mouth and then like the post calling you out. No passive-aggressive moral high ground to be found here. Shoo.
I have the right to agree with your point and prefer that course of action, do I not? So I just fething did. I Liked it. Get over it. >_>

You talk of passive-aggression but you can't even tag me in the post stating it. Humph.

*walks away before cussing someone out*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom