Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wild West Ruleset Update #4: Flashpoints

FLASHPOINT RULES
  • Flashpoints are the harbingers of chaos and chance, and represent random and sometimes naturally occurring events in the Galaxy of Star Wars RP: Chaos.

TARGETS OF FLASHPOINTS
  • Every time a new Rebellion, Dominion, or Invasion is declared, a member of the SWRP Staff Team will roll a 10-sided die in the #flashpoint discord channel. If the Rebellion/Dominion/Invasion thread's roll lands on a 10, a Flashpoint is declared and the prefix of the thread is changed to Flashpoint.

FLASHPOINT MODIFIERS

• When a thread is declared a Flashpoint, it will follow a set of further randomized rules in addition to the rules determined by the type of thread it was prior to becoming a Flashpoint. These rules are decided by a second 6-sided dice roll by Staff in the #flashpoint discord channel, and the corresponding number will decide which modifier to apply to the thread.
  • A Role-play Judge will be assigned to a Flashpoint to ensure a modicum of law and to answer all questions arising from the Chaos.

DOMINION MODIFIERS

1. If a 1 is rolled, this Dominion is the last Dominion the Major Faction may claim for the month.
  2. If a 2 is rolled, two unoccupied adjacent hexes have declared their allegiance to the Major Faction that initiated the dominion and will be added to their influence cloud.
  3. If a 3 is rolled, the Flashpoint may continue as a normal Dominion but is now open to being Invaded, regardless of distance, for the next 10 days.
  4. If a 4 is rolled, an ancient Flagship is gifted to the Major Faction by the people of the planet being Dominion'd. This Flagship does not count against Faction Flagship limitations determined by the Factory.
  5. If a 5 is rolled, the Flashpoint may continue as a normal Dominion with a minimum post restriction of 100 posts added to its Victory Conditions.
  6. If a 6 is rolled, your faction determines that a very rare resource is found abundant deep in the crust of the planet (to be assigned by the Factory Administrator).

REBELLION MODIFIERS

1. If a 1 is rolled, the thread remains a Rebellion, but any Minor Faction may join and the 14-day limitation is negated.
  2. If a 2 is rolled, the Rebellion is immediately crushed and the Flashpoint is to be treated as a Dominion.
  3. If a 3 is rolled, the Major Faction owning the planet has put up a blockade, limiting the amount of people from each Minor Faction that joins to a maximum of 3 players.
  4. If a 4 is rolled, two adjacent hexes to this Rebellion (to be determined by Staff) are now also open to Rebellion for the next 10 days.
  5. If a 5 is rolled, Major Factions may also join the Rebellion.
  6. If a 6 is rolled, the Rebellion is to be treated as heavily in favor of the defending Major Faction.

INVASION MODIFIERS

1. If a 1 is rolled, the attacking Major Faction may also choose to launch a second simultaneous invasion of an adjacent Hex against the same Major Faction.
  2. If a 2 is rolled, each participating Major Faction may invite a second Major Faction, and all four Major Factions will be judged for victory of the hex.
  3. If a 3 is rolled, the defending Major Faction can launch two consecutive Invasions of the attacking Major Faction at any point within the next 60 days.
  4. If a 4 is rolled, the victor will claim two additional hexes of the opposing faction.
  5. If a 5 is rolled, Requesting Aid restrictions are lifted.
  6. If a 6 is rolled, the Flashpoint Invasion is to be treated as a Rebellion in addition to a Invasion.

Tanomas Graf

T
Tefka said:
If a 2 is rolled, the Rebellion is immediately crushed and the Flashpoint is to be treated as a Dominion.
Where was this during the Galactic Civil War?

I like this one too, a one in ten chance per dominion/rebellion/invasion to receive either one out of five buffs or a penalty? Bring on the Chaos!

Alexandra Feanor

The Lady in Silver/Grey Historian
My only critique against these is the fact that it seems like it forces people to participate rather than choosing to. Perhaps you can set it up so that a specific circumstance or even Factions asking for the roll to happen? That way it puts a small amount of power in the factions these are being done on. Fate can be a powerful annoyance.

Echoing [member="Alexandra Feanor"]'s sentiment is that it feels as if you are forcing major factions and their members to participate. Which then no longer becomes fun for anyone involved. I completely understand wanting the immersion and the random galactic events as they happen in games such as Hearts of Iron 4/Europa Universalis 4, however; this is not a table top game and I do not want it to become a table top game. Nor, do I want to force anyone to participate, or punish them for not doing so which these Flashpoints feel like they're doing. So as aforementioned by Feanor, make them voluntary and optional, consent is a great and beautiful thing and will make for a more enjoyable experience for everyone because then you will have two major factions who want to participate in the event instead of one who may, and one who does not want to participate at all. The event should go forward should both factions agree, if one does not - then simply roll the dice for the next faction.

If a major faction is recalled maybe let this be two minor factions with of course the option to go major if they so chose following the already linked rules regarding dominions/rebellions/recalled major factions.

I generally think this rule set is a bad idea.

Rebellions and Invasion can be Chaotic enough without a rule set that intentionally adds more Chaos to them.

I would like to think I enjoy the occasional monkey wrench tossed into a story as much as the next guy but to me there is a such thing as going to far and I think the Flashpoint system goes entirely too far.

In warfare, uncertainty is the only guarantee.

You have to accept a certain degree of liability and inherent danger when conducting warfare. I think this ruleset and these new dohickeys add a great deal to the idea of fighting another faction.

I've never forced any Major Faction to participate in anything, and that wouldn't change if these rules were enacted.

There's always a choice.

Invasions are percievably one Major Faction forcing another Major Faction to war or lose.

Rebellions are percievably one Minor Faction(s) forcing another Major Faction to war or lose.

Flashpoints would be percievably be a 3rd, external force affecting the map game. Randomness. Chaos. You either play by Chaos's rules or lose.

[member="Tefka"]

Invasions, Dominions and even Rebellions to an extent require some form of consent. You are still forcing something onto a group of people without their consent. And if the group as whole forfeits they lose simply because they chose not to. I'll also add that this is meant to be fun for everyone on the board. Forcing the event on people in my own view is not fun, but there I've said my piece. I'll just take my pipe and smoke it.

But there's no way Chaos can become even better than it already is!

maximum-overdrive-plankton-not-when-i-shift-into-maximum-over-hype.jpg

[member="Ria Misrani"]
Dominions are really the only one which people expect to be entirely set apart from conflict with other factions. If you were to roll a 3 it could get invaded, yes.
That is a 1/60 chance though each time you start a dominion.
On the other hand, you've got a 90% chance of no flashpoint. Alternatively you could be getting a sweet phrik deposit on the dominion planet.

These rules are not final and there is likely to be some tweaking based on feedback, so comments are welcome as it can identify potential issues.

I love this idea, and I don't quite understand why people think this means people are going to be forced into doing something. Nowhere in any of these rules/propositions does it state you *must* participate, it's saying "if/when you choose to set up a dominion/invasion/etc, this is a possible outcome." but you're already doing the thing. And people in your faction aren't being forced to join in if they don't want to.

Am I missing something? :S

Definitely going to take some getting used to when/if it happens, but an interesting addition to the way things work. Overall I like the idea and see some good potential opportunities to expand on the story of a dom/invasion/rebellion.

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
What about giving an option for a faction to intentionally initiate a flashpoint?

Especially for an up-and-coming major (or a minor taking its first steps) the risk/reward trade-off could be very worthwhile and it could make for an interesting story as well. The great powers intervening to prevent a new upstart or something (whatever its with the die-roll). At least for dominions I think it could be interesting. Perhaps with extra conditions, like always making the hex open to invasion/rebellion or something, to help balance the potentially huge rewards gained. Also limited to once a quarter or something if there's concerns of abuse.

Overall I really like how this all plays out, and it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom