Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Sex Do/Can You Write As?

Beowoof

Morality Policeman :)
While it's true that there aren't as many differences between the behaviors of the genders, it's not completely accurate. Just a hint of life experience and casual psychological observation will make that apparent--although it's not easy to put a finger on it.

Men and women are inherently different physically, which actually does have an effect on their psyche. I'd almost say it's actually the most important influence on how people think, but there are always exceptions here and there.

The best way I can describe it for the purposes of writing is that men and women think the same things... but they often start out at differing points in that thought process. It's not that hard once you get a feel for it, though.

The differences are more subtle than they are made out to be by popular media, but they are there. My best advice is to just get lost in your character and not overthink the gender difference.

Listen to your character. Never tell your character what to do. Male or female, this is the key to good writing.

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
Anyone who says there are no differences between the minds of men and women has never been married. Male and female brains are hardwired differently thanks to a few million years of evolution. Trying to interpret the actions and reactions of the opposite sex is a challenge that will likely keep me on my toes til death do us part.

That said, when it comes to writing, it's really not all that different. A well developed character will have a set of traits and experiences that inform how they move through the universe. The downstairs equipment shouldn't really be a primary consideration in everyday writing so long as you stick to the established characterization. So long as you approach writing the opposite gender with a modicum of respect and realism, no one's gonna get on your case too badly.

There are a few pitfalls to look out for. If you are a male writing a female with an allergy to clothes and a 36-24-36 silhouette, it's possible that people aren't going to take you seriously. If your character exists solely to write same gendered smut, people aren't going to take you seriously. If your character's sole trait is extreme horniness, well, you get the idea.

There's nothing wrong with sexuality in writing, but if all you're trying to do is feed a fetish, there are better places to do it.

[member="Chris Gelderd"]

I've written as both genders for some time now. Where I used to write, seeing a female character anywhere was some big thing, it scored you all the Masters if you were a FU as well as unnecessary attention. Here at Chaos I've found it a lot more freeing and neutral to be either Gender. I don't have a preference for one over the other, I don't think one works better as a villain/hero/other generic categories. While it doesn't affect much I do still love having to get inside the mindset of a male, like it or not both genders have their own differences -- duuuh -- and if you do end up making a female I'll watch her progress intently. People tend to either love it or hate it.

Good luck!

Beowoof said:
While it's true that there aren't as many differences between the behaviors of the genders, it's not completely accurate. Just a hint of life experience and casual psychological observation will make that apparent--although it's not easy to put a finger on it.

Men and women are inherently different physically, which actually does have an effect on their psyche. I'd almost say it's actually the most important influence on how people think, but there are always exceptions here and there.

The best way I can describe it for the purposes of writing is that men and women think the same things... but they often start out at differing points in that thought process. It's not that hard once you get a feel for it, though.

The differences are more subtle than they are made out to be by popular media, but they are there. My best advice is to just get lost in your character and not overthink the gender difference.

Listen to your character. Never tell your character what to do. Male or female, this is the key to good writing.
And periods. Pregnancy. Let's not forget these huge differences.

Chris Gelderd said:
[member="Chevu Visz"] Very good point - I worry about messing up job types, like writing all that pilot lingo and soldier talk and getting it wrong and looking stupid in a serious thread, which in turn knocks muse for characters like Dax where I feel I'm not good enough to understand and write as a pilot.

Hmm. Food for thought indeed.
If you ever wanna know military lingo - I can help you there.

Onto your original point, I've not always written female characters - but it's been a long while since I've written a male character.

EDIT: I've come to find that writing male characters just irritating and uncontrollably annoying. Maybe it's lack of creative effort.

Personal perspective - I grew up around girls, I find them fascinating needless to say. I tend to be attracted to a female protagonist more so than a male. *shrugs* I also enjoy the challenges that come with writing the opposite sex.

Funny thing is, I remember when people got flamed for doing such a thing - it's amazing how far we've come.

Rusty said:
There are a few pitfalls to look out for. If you are a male writing a female with an allergy to clothes and a 36-24-36 silhouette, it's possible that people aren't going to take you seriously. If your character exists solely to write same gendered smut, people aren't going to take you seriously. If your character's sole trait is extreme horniness, well, you get the idea.
This made me laugh a bit - I will admit I did try to make characters fashionable and ensured I got specifics down. That was at one point - after that everything really just fell into place.

Either way - just my take. I believe [member="Coci Heavenshield"] said some great things regarding experiences. When it came to specific experiences if I ever had to write them out - I'd either look up some blog to understand it better from an emotional standpoint, or simply ask.

No shame in my game.

I guess in a way for me though gender and to some extent the type of being may they be alien or at some instance a mix of two. Does at time affect or to some extent influence my characterization of them in any board including this one that I've been on.

I do for the most part don't really try make it as my focus but instead like most here seem already stated. It's more of who they are as a whole ... the charter themselves that motivates one to write them. And at best i seem find myself start things of with nothing but the simplest though or idea. So i guess maybe start off with something you like or love....a character (Book/Movie/etc.)? species or maybe even just a image. Use that as sort template and i guess just let your imagination take hold. Use what come natural in your mind....pull from experience....things you read or seen....and just take it from there. Don't get bog down by the details too much like say....the common concepts of gender. Seeing as well say a guy character has to be all tough, touch or take charge all the time. As along the way they eventually have weakness that can be either trivial or simply 'don't fit or that now how a guy/gal does things or what not'. Like hell they can be afraid of the dark....or something. At any rate best thing can say is ...write them as the character not as their gender or something.

And have say guess its rare that i step out of char in most my boards. That i at best do get that reaction when i do of ' your not a dude?' as yes i am not irl lol but been round quite a few . Hang out with family and friends a like or just simply from movies seen or book read. So sort got some idea to seem get that response lol. That and seeing as well I've written him for so long and what can i say? Am such a obi-wan/ewan fan that i guess write a char loosely base round them helps. Thought this not say I've not delve writing lady char from time to time....though it mostly just keep the muse going and for some variety in my writing.

[member="Chris Gelderd"]
Chris Gelderd said:
Great reading all your views and ideas - thanks guys. Keep it up! Nice seeing these communal chats and discussions. :)
Indeed and have to say your mr. bean avi crack me up laughing when i saw him. Though hope you won't take offense to it ....just can't help but think or remember the tv show. At any rate just from the look kinda gives me the idea of a fun loving yet somewhat awkward kinda char.

[member="Deagan Hunt"]
Deagan Hunt said:
I rp both and I won't lie, I enjoy making my writing partners weak in the knees with this guy here ^_^
Oh really? Hmm, :p i bet you do at any rate.....can't say i've done that before in another board. Hell even got him married with kids to boot.Was fun and nice writing ....a paired char specially when you get the right kind of char to play off from. At any rate.....

chrisgelderd

Half Bond, Half Bean.
[member="Ronin Wendigo"] Haha, thank you! UK born and bred so love this British institute, and I would LOVE to make a NFU character with the quirks of Mr Bean. An admin or hapless do-gooder around Chaos for some comic relief. :)

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Ignore Gender Anxiety

I'd echo to just ignore gender completely. Just be respectful when building their strengths, weaknesses, quirks, lifestyle, and upbringing. Treating your male and female characters respectfully is half the battle in earning your audience's trust anyway. Like [member="Rusty"] said. If your characters are just fetish toys, then you've lost your audience already.

Craft Multiple Personas

One my personal tricks when writing [member="Karen Roberts"] is to give her multiple personas in different situations. When she's Navy fleeting, she's very military and masculine. In both dress, body language, and voice commands. However, when she's in the Jedi Temple she is much more thoughtful, reflective, and relaxed in her posture. And when she is around her husband she is frivolous, honest, moody, and playful in her posture. It's these layers that make her a complex character and feel more like a real person. Especially when other characters spend time with her and begin to see multiple sides to her personality.

Shift Archetypes

Another great thing to do is to have your character move or shift through multiple archetypes slowly. This kind of evolution greatly builds your writing skills and fills out a character wonderfully. It taught me to never be afraid to let my characters grow either.

Start with your characters current archetypes and name them. Let's say: Protagonist, Cowboy, Spacer. Great. So that's where their evolution will start. Then as they adventure they might touch upon a few more. Like say: The Old Mentor, The Rookiee, The Trickster, The Chef, and The Boyfriend. Take responsibility for these new archetypes and explore them with your character. You'll find just through experience that some fit? And some don't. Which is fine. That's just the evolution process at work. No biggie.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
I started RPing when I was about fourteen or fifteen. My first character was male. Part of his back story was that he had a sister. Then I made the sister a PC. It sort of spiralled from there. Since then, I'd wager about 60% of my protagonists have been female, erring on the side of parity. I've been published and self-published a couple times, and half my protagonists there have been female too. Not sure why it wound up that way - maybe an attempt to better understand my sisters, mom, wife, and daughter. Maybe it's just that that little bit of extra not-me distance lets me be more open with the sides of my personality that I don't like. You'll never find a more bitter lump of amoral hubris than Ashin Varanin, or a more sneering competitor than a young Rave Merrill.

I started writing and doing forum rps in my early teens when MSN Groups was still around. Back then and through much of my rping, all of my characters have been male (due to me being a male IRL).
A few years ago though that changed when I went into college and started in on a Stargate RP Forum and I wrote up my Goa'uld Tiamat.
I rped her as the sensual, sexual, uses her body for anything she wants and gets what she wants kind of female Archetype.
Looking back on those days, I'm kind of disgusted by myself that I allowed myself to write the character that way, and I hadn't really rped as a female character until about 2012-2013 when I created [member="Avy Valla"] on another site.
I did my best to make sure that I didn't fall into the same pit that I had when I wrote Tiamat and I'm proud of the bio that I wrote up for Avy.
Then came along the Baroness Magrath (again written up on another site and recently lain to rest as I've viewed it as an attempt at grabbing at my past). She was what I had wanted Tiamat to be, still sensual, but not just a sexual figure.
Even since then, I've always done my best (or at least what I feel is my best) to make sure that the female characters I write up aren't the damsel in distress or the sexual icon archetype.
All I can really say is that I'm happy with how my female characters have turned out when I've written them, and I hope that I've done them justice by focusing more on their emotions, rather than just their appearance.
Really what it boils down to is you the writer. Write how you feel the character should be.

I'm a male writer who's written both. Historically, and even currently, I tend to write males more. Anja being my first female character who was my main rather than a secondary character. I actually choose gender by doing a coin flip; I've found it easier to enjoy a character when certain facts are not yours to control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom