Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Makes The Chaos Era Distinctive

Every Era of Star Wars has an easily identifiable aesthetic and general design to how everything looks and feels, and while some of this may bleed a little into other eras, there is generally a consistent tone. The downtrodden, just good enough to work tech of the Old Republic Era with it's grand arching stories and mature plot lines about morality and the nature of the Force would never be confused with the fascist, nearly grimdark state of the Galaxy that we see in Disney's New Canon, with the sleek design of First Order Troops marching over world after world. The shinies of the Early Clone Wars stand out against the elite browshirts that the Stormtroopers became during the GCW. The Imperial Warlord Era explored into the political structure of the Galaxy before extragalactic invaders tore the universe asunder. Then, once the dust settled, history repeated itself as the Sith rose once more in the Legacy Era, refusing to go into the dark.

Honestly, kinda a poor summary, but just wanted to get the general idea of everything out. I tend to look at the site a lot as simply "more Star Wars", a continuation of Legends and Disney Canon for simply the sake of it, with it's own distinctive feel compared to the other eras of Star Wars.

Personally, I think one of the more defining things about the Chaos Era is the redefinition of both the Jedi and Sith's philosophies, and the reorganization of the Galactic map into more localized, identity driven factions, trying to explore themes and ideas that Star Wars never properly got to.

Just kinda a ramble, but I would love to hear other's thoughts on the topic!

Valdus Bral

️ Clan Bral Alor ️| Warlord of Nellogant
I'm only being slightly sarcastic when I say the mass proliferation of beings with high degrees of force sensitivity. Force sensitivity has become much more commonplace than in canon eras to extent that entire devices, vessels, and combat units are designed or trained specifically to deal with force sensitives. Is this due to the Jedi relaxing a lot more on marriage? Perhaps that every darkside force user having a harem of concubines resulting in a family forest instead of a family tree? Who knows.

It can be seen as an era of immense upheaval and instability. We've had what 2 CIS, 3 Sith Empires, 4 Republics, 5 Jedi Orders and 6 'Galactic' Empires - and a partridge in a pear tree.

All of this in ~25 years. That's early medieval Europe levels of change.

Not to mention there's a fracturing of the general uni or bipolar status of one or two big empires ruling most of the galaxy. Now it is a raft of smaller groups ruling compact territorial units. In comparison it's like 1914 Europe rather than the Cold War.

There is also as mentioned above a proliferation of powerful Force users across many more disciplines than usual.

I would say that this era is one of anachronisms, in the sense that technology, and ideas from every previous era of Star Wars has found a footing in this chaotic terrain and made an imprint. Its as if time travelers from every era were dumped here at the end of the 400 Year Darkness and shepherded the lost souls here into all their various camps, and are just now realizing that there are other time travelers with their own camps. Everyone is hostile, everyone is in danger, everyone has to be protected, everyone has to be in an alliance to survive, everyone has to be betrayed to survive.

The melting-est melting pot that ever melted pot heads, err, I means, pots.

While I agree with everything said above me...the diversity is still here....and I love that. There is a concept of a little bit of everything and if you cant find what you're looking for you can make it yourself. While people may disagree with this...but the MOST ICONIC part of Chaos....is, to me, the room to succeed. While it may not last long, chances are whatever goals are, they will be accomplished. So...an Era of Accomplishments.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Fridge to microwave era.

My sister likes to take everything leftover in her fridge at the end of the week and stick it all in the microwave. Resulting in one, big, messy, unpredictable casserole-of-whatever'ness. This, because she is never wasteful.

This. This is how I imagine every thread on chaos was ever born. Never really good. Never truly bad. Just a wild mix of almost spoiled ingredients all thrown into the microwave to boil until it tastes like something new'ish and not-quite familiar. A ritual that is repeated week after week, not for the love of designing or imbibing a five-star culinary masterpiece, but for the basic necessity of getting rid of whatever is leftover in your brain on Friday.

Idk. I guess Chaos to me is much like a cooking class for small children. The goal is not to help the students become very good or very bad at what they do. It's just to watch and laugh together as we splatter the walls with cupcake mix and brownie batter. All joining in merrily for a food fight with the teachers and staff, and calling it a job well done. Lulz. :p

I'd say "increased instability" is putting it lightly. We've had multiple apocalypses since the Gulag Plague, which is itself an apocalypse. I can remember at least two major planets being abjectly destroyed, reality itself has unwound around Akala twice now, to say nothing of zombie viruses, massive galactic wars, the destruction of several major artifacts, and someone summoned (and subsequently killed) C'thulhu that one time.

On top of that, we've had a marked uptick in the number of intensely powerful Force-aspected locations, to the point we had to coin a phrase just to refer to them. The Jedi and Sith orders have both broken and reforged several times, and a few entirely new ways to view and use the Force - Obsidian, Ren, Green Jedi, and the like - have been created wholecloth. We had an event about how out of balance the Force had gotten, and a bunch of ghosts were very angry about it.

This is not the kind of era you want to have a family in. They might get purged by religious zealots, infested with Vong spores, or dropped into Hell.

I mean, I don't know how to explain it.

I pretty much ignore the creative diarrhoea of the Netherworld becoming a physical plain. I also suppose its more like the real world where there is a bunch of stuff going on that is stupid as hell, because well - people are stupid. Though, most of the time they pretend they are the next Einstein or that it makes sense when it doesn't do so in a convincing manner no matter how many times you write that it is.

Chaos is the age of mediocrity and saturation. Resurrections, force gods, mary sues and Microwave Empires are used with reckless abandon. Even worse so than the TOR stuff where Revan was essentially a dead horse still being beaten when it'd turned into a fossil fuel.

Its the age of too many hands in the pie, which is how real life can be at times.

Chaos is needing a good solid and thorough purge.

:: HERO of KORRIBAN ::
Creativity defines the Chaos era. Let’s be honest in a universe where someone can make a faction full of bugs and space worms that have nothing to do with anything related to Star Wars can succeed and get on the map, then anything is possible. Are there a lot of ideas and ventures which fail, sure, but that’s the nature of successful creativity. You’re gonna fall on your face more times than not, but what I love about our Chaos era is how many people just dust themselves off and try again.

Am I mixing IC with OOC here a bit, yes, but in my 6 years on this forum just about when I think I’ve seen it all something new, exciting, and fresh comes along.

For me... the most defining moment, the destruction of Corellia!

As someone who loves history and minored in it during College, the Chaos Era would probably be named just that.

-- Each Era in our own history is dictated by something Large and Singular point that can describe two points of time. However, it is also dictated by the victor of events after they happen, with sporadic accounts from survivors. So it is different for each person IC or even OOC. But as a Historian in my attempt to catalog the history of this site I so far have three Era's of the site.

-- Era of Recovery and Creation (835 ABY - 844 ABY) - Many nations are born and begin to fight one another, pretty much known for the fracturing of any loyalties previously held and recreation of personal identity.
-- The Half Century of Destruction (845 ABY - 850 ABY) - Destruction of civilization on a scale almost equal to the Gulag Plague where nations became ruins and planets saw their near destruction.
-- Era of Chaos (851 ABY - Current) - The Mid to Outer Rims are becoming the centers of civilization, Core Worlds are considered the new Wild Space where Nations go to Die. But the powerhouses of the galaxy stake their claim on worlds of the Outer Rim. Pretty much everything is backwards, Core = Bad, Outer Rim = Rich, and the Unknown Region / Wild Space = Safety.

-- The Eras can also be summed up by the ruler of the Sith Empire somewhat like the Chines Dynasties. Currently in the "Zambrano Era" mainly because from my research there has always been a Sith Emperor at some point in this sites history. Constants also make good milestones while cataloging historical event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom