Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warmongers Unite!

Which option would you like to participate most in?

• Total voters
So, I think I’m up to 7 or 8 times now, but the crazy thing is I still keep trying!

Ahem…so, I like reading and participating about RPs involving great battles and conflicts. It makes the Wars part of Star Wars come alive for me. Most invasions with their dramatic one-on-one duels aren’t really my thing, but I’m going to try once more to get something happening!

However, a few things up front this time. As much as I would love to turn everything into a wargame…that’s not going to happen I think. So whatever happens I’m having no rules, no stats except for points for selecting units. Going to try free form and see what happens.

But, I’m not sure what the best thing is, so I’m creating this poll with four options, two fleet, two ground. If there is sufficient interest I might look at doing the second most popular one eventually too as a sequel.

• Fleeting battle contest. I know Ayden tried to get something started here, but then things got in the way. It was a good idea though and potentially worth trying.
  • Giant fleeting battle. Get all the fleeters together, put them on teams or make it a faction free-for-all and then let them have at it. Unlike the Valen…incident…this will be each admiral getting the same amount of metres, one character per writer.
  • Land battle campaign. Similar to Valen but much faster. Fight for a planet’s resources and strategic positions to give you the edge in the final battle.
  • Giant land battle. Bring all the generals together and have them fight over a big objective. One thread, massive carnage! Each writer gets the same amount of points to spend on forces, winner is the one who gets the most objectives and preserves the most of their forces.

If you have questions about how this will work, or questions about the options, please ask.

Since the biggest issue in this has always been down to people keeping interest after the first few days of excitement do not post that you want to take part unless you actually have the time to do so.
So many of these threads have died due to people not posting, causing their opponents to stop posting, and soon it’s all fallen in a heap.
I will be empowering members of a faction to move for their absent members to keep this going.

I will not participate myself, but I will settle any disputes or problems during the thread as the arbiter.

I have a question:

How will causalities be counted? If say you are supposed to be a commander of an army, and you send x number of men to take Objective 1, and your opponent responds by sending y number of men to take the same objective, are they both to be trusted to say exactly how effective their enemy attack is?

Example:

GuyA: Army 1 throws in 1,000 Battle Droids to take Fortress
GuyB: Army 2 uses 100 Super Battle Droids to defend Fortress
GuyA: Army 1 aims and attacks Army 2
GuyB: Takes two casualties, sends the rest of Army 2 to aim Army 1's Jedi General

GuyA might get upset that GuyB didn't give him enough casualties. So how is this all going to be regulated if it's free form? Use your best discretion or something?

[member="Tamara"]

I would like to do a Fleeting battle, but there's too many downsides for the entire base of the prospective participants. I've been in multiple fleet engagements using the Hex map layouts (with other characters) and even I get confused on the occasion. Land battles, are applicable to nearly every character here on the board and offers a much easier method in terms of a movement and combat system.

Although fleets are my thing, I'm going Land Campaign for this. Plus the scale of battles like the Battle of Geonosis were off the chain.

[member="Fatty"]
These are good questions, and normally I’d unveil a system of determining casualties using stats and modifiers. However, that has met considerable resistance in the past.

So all I can say is that people must use their best judgement, play fairly, and I will settle any disputes that come up using my best judgement.
So if you don’t want that, play fair, take your hits just like in a duel, and it will go well.

More details:
However, since the land campaign has unexpectedly gotten massive attention I will lay out a basic summary of my plans, and then you can change your vote, keep it as is, or ask more details.

I will have a map of the world divided into areas. Each area will be determined a value based on resources, population, etc. When you conquer that area you get that amount of resource points to bring in reinforcements to supplement your initial forces.
Most areas are neutrally controlled and thus will be easy to take over. Either short form dominions against NPCs or against ‘me’ providing opposition.

Battles between writers will be resolved as skirmishes with the forces that faction brings to bear, knowing that although you can throw all your forces into one big battle, it leaves you exposed elsewhere.
These skirmishes will be small or big depending on the forces involved. At the end I will determine who has won the battle if one side does not concede.

NOTE: This is not going to be a short campaign, but it should deliver a big final battle or series of battles at the end.
The winners and other noted participants may well receive rewards, to be determined.

Tamara said:
I will have a map of the world divided into areas. Each area will be determined a value based on resources, population, etc. When you conquer that area you get that amount of resource points to bring in reinforcements to supplement your initial forces. Most areas are neutrally controlled and thus will be easy to take over. Either short form dominions against NPCs or against ‘me’ providing opposition. Battles between writers will be resolved as skirmishes with the forces that faction brings to bear, knowing that although you can throw all your forces into one big battle, it leaves you exposed elsewhere. These skirmishes will be small or big depending on the forces involved. At the end I will determine who has won the battle if one side does not concede.
I love it. Seems like a game of RISK.

Population, environmental factors, supply lines, all of it. Lemme know if you need some help in setting some stuff up and I'll be more than happy to lend a hand.

[member="Lok Jorunn"]
I will take you up on that offer! :)

What I need to do is bounce things off someone like numbers, region sizes etc since I am literally making this up as I go! Are you OK if I PM you some thoughts?

I've added another question to the poll regarding the use of stats. I will only include them if I get a sizeable majority.

By stats I mean other than cost, values that represent a unit's abilities defined outside of an RP.
Possible stats could be: attack, defence, hit points and so on.
Stats would allow for some auto resolution of small battles and give a guide to writers, at the cost of potentially limiting RP freedom.

I leave this question entirely up to you guys.

Note, you may have to delete your vote and then re-add your option to both questions if you've already voted.

Please also tell me which faction you represent and whether you are interested in taking part so I can get an idea of numbers etc. Thanks!

[member="Alexandra Cinthra"], @Gilamar Skirata, [member="Noah Corek"], @Vulpesen, @Kiskla Grayson, @Joshua DragonsFlame, @Adenn Gra'tua, @Lok Jorunn, [member="Verrin Ris'To "], @Fatty, @Canal Tal'Verda, [member="Mikhail Shorn"], [member="Tali"], @Lancer Damar , @Cypher, [member="Voroll"], [member="Ayden Cater"],

If you're still interested, post here with the faction you represent. Anyone else wishing to join in, please do likewise.

Attached is the map. This map will be divided into regions not unlike Risk, depending on how many people I get will vary the amount. Each region will give extra troops when conquered so that by the time you run into an enemy faction you will have quite a force to throw at them...hopefully!

If you do not wish to command troops you can act as your own character with one of your faction's armies. We want this to be as inclusive as possible.

Lord Ghoul

L
Heralds of Chaos.

No troops, just a few powerful Sith PCs. #ashaman

Alternatively, Dak Canton w/ detachment of Fringe.

Or Anaudius with Moross Crusade

[member="Mikhail Shorn"]
Since we're dealing with a planet wide campaign here I suggest you choose someone who will be leading troops. Even throne breaker can't conquer a city alone...though you could join in with another faction's army.
Up to you.

For everyone else, start thinking about your initial invasion forces. These are the units and their costs. You will start off with 1000 points each, so have a think about what your selections are so that when the time comes you can be ready to tell me. Some units will do better in some terrain compared to others, so a broad selection is best.
Only restriction is that you will require at least one infantry unit to hold regions, so bear that in mind.
Code:
Unit Type	Cost
Infantry	100
Armour	        200
Walkers	        300
Artillery       200
Interceptors	200
Bombers	        300
Anti-Air        100

@[member="Tamara"]

Hasjo reporting in as a member of the Silver Jedi Order. Hasjo currently commands the Sixth Battalion. Would I be able to bring them in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom