Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Campaign Visiting Fringe Force Group:s Mist-Weavers

The Mist-Weavers were glad to share what they could, but the greater secrets were ones that they were going to protect. To withhold from outsiders. If someone wanted to convert, I'kk was more than happy to assist them.

The offer to stay, to learn more about these people and their unique methods, to become at least partially one of them, threw Tilon for a loop more than he'd expected. He'd had such invitations before, and declined or accepted based on any number of factors.

Today he felt like declining and it took him a long moment to realize why. At some level he resented them all, their way, because of the comments earlier about collection. They'd made him feel like this whole endeavor - no, his perspective going into it - was morally flawed.

Instinct suggested this would have been better as a debate or dialogue, but even that instinct was flawed. Because underneath was a simple grumpy embarrassing drive to take and hold a position, to resolve cognitive dissonance through...conflict.

Heavy thoughts for a beautiful day on a bench in the woods.

The Fallanassi Wanderer was loving this world. It was peaceful and calm, and out of the way. The Mist-Weavers were present and willing to help. It reminded her, slightly of Rolas, and the world she left behind. Everyone had an education there, not necessarily just a vocation, but the world was a place of free knowledge and part of the culture was about sharing what one had known.

Of course, there were levels of what you knew, and what you could consider yourself.

"You okay?" Dani asked Gwen, seeing her be so far away. Maybe it was the fact that she was on a more natural world again. She knew how close to nature Gwen's people were.

Letting the Changeling make her attempt, Dani couldn't help but smile. As she saw the Force take shape and turn into the tree, Dani nodded. Then as the other Mist-Weaver spoke, another nod. "It does seem that the Mist and the White Current are related, with both having applications beyond life and death." Something that the Jedi and Sith seemed to lack.

Gweneth Zarari Gweneth Zarari

A pair of solutions to cognitive dissonance presented themselves around the time Tilon succeeded in weaving a skein of solid mist between his hands. The two ideas arrived rapid-fire, maybe some kind of boon from the Force or those passed on or just his soul's response to the ancient Force tradition at work here. Things were wrapping up, but he stayed on the bench, thinking.

Revelation one: the ethical issues - whether trips like these were extractive, treated knowledge as a commodity separable from the people who lived it - scaled with power differences. It was one thing for a penniless, independent wanderer like his father to ask to learn. It would be something entirely different for a Jedi-corporate magnate or a Jedi general or a galactic institution to do the same. Where Quill and this expedition fell on that sliding scale were open questions, but establishing the scale helped ease the tension. And in parallel, the hosts' own agency, resources, capabilities, and power relationships were part of the equation too. It would be one thing to ask for the secrets of penniless, independent wanderers; it would be another to approach a powerful institution like the Fallanassi or the Ithorian Priests of the Mother Jungle. That scale helped make sense of things too.

Revelation two: a specific purpose mattered. As a Jedi researcher, Tilon was aware that Jedi had crossed paths with mist-weaver derivatives in recent years in hostile contexts, on Mimban and on New Cov. In the latter instance, the aggressors had been able to change their faces' appearance through mist-weaving or something like it. He wondered whether others here had been more intentional than he had about finding ways to understand that ability or counter it.

And frankly, he'd find uses for that ability. He'd been an alchemical test subject for several years in his youth. Elements of his appearance were by choice and other elements weren't. The option to adjust how he presented himself at will had an appeal. Common sense suggested that weaving a new face over his own would be orders of magnitude more complicated than the skeins he'd managed so far. No harm in trying, though.

He ran his fingers into his brightly-colored hair and began to weave. All the mist he'd woven so far had been muted, colorless. Conjuring new skeins and strands in his hair felt strange but not unpleasant. He pulled some of his hair before his eyes and saw it interleaved with gray as if he'd aged twenty years. As disguises went, pretty meagre - but not bad for a first try. Work from here and he might just find some application that was relevant to the New Cov situation that Valery Noble Valery Noble had reported.

Most likely, he figured, the more advanced skills like this - shaping a tangible false face, like on New Cov - were among the many things that this planet's Light-oriented mist-weavers would know and perhaps share, if people were willing to convert to their way and remain among them for a time. He pondered it as his hair grew grey.

Last edited:

Untitled700_20230423181757.png
Objective: Learn and explore
Tag: Dani Stellaris Dani Stellaris Kaia Starchaser Kaia Starchaser Matsu Ike Matsu Ike Tilon Quill Tilon Quill Trextan Voidstalker Trextan Voidstalker Amani Serys Amani Serys Mig Gred Mig Gred Lossa Darcuhl Lossa Darcuhl Choli Vyn Choli Vyn Corbin Vasher Corbin Vasher

Equipment: Gwen's attire, Echo stone, carved luck charm, wooden quarterstaff, slingshot

"I'm alright, wondering what's in those mountains over there" I said curiously, I should pay more attention to the stuff we were learning about. The tree continued to grow until I flipped my hand and it collapsed in on itself, the mists swirled as they fell apart. The mistweavers were all much more accomplished, but this was fun.

I pondered my friend's words. "I've heard a couple of mentions of the white current, but I'm not sure exactly what that is. Most of the wilder stuff I have learned is about strength of body, apparently one day I will be able to block a lightsaber with my arm." I smirked "I dont think I want to test that one out." I supposed at least is was the sort of thing you only ever got wrong once. I called over to one of the teachers.

"Supposing someone got really good at this mist thing, could you weave a mount and ride it?" the idea had just come to me, the idea of riding a horse or even a flying creature made entirely of mist seemed like an excellent use of these power, mounted combat was potent, except for the risk it posed to an innocent non-sapient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom