Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Issue?

Hey there.

I'm gonna tell a quick story in the buildup to this suggestion, as the backstory will make the entire suggestion make sense. Sorry to the people who had to sit through a voice chat while I went on this rant and tangent the other day, you get the joys of listening to it again!

So, a few years back I was doing some RP with a few friends. We were on one of these out in the middle of no-where cannon planets (don't ask me which one) and we were writing that we were tearing down some buildings to make way for a new company factory. Fair enough, we were capitalizing on an unused planet to make us some dolla dolla bills, you know. Well, galactic, galactic credits but the point still stands.

Little did we know that this planet was actually in use.

We literally didn't have a clue. We did our thread and built our factory and then I got a very angry discord message from the owner of this planet (let's call them Dave). Dave was very unhappy that we'd told this story on his planet as it "didn't fit the narrative" that he was trying to tell. I kid you not this message was like, 5.5k words and called me an idiot in about thirty different ways. It was just downright rude.

Now, I've always prided myself on reaching out. I noticed recently that there's a Queen of Naboo floating around, and this gives me the perfect example to use. Let's say, I was going to tell a story on Naboo. I'd bounce a PM or a discord DM or something off of the writer that owns Naboo and try and make sure everyone's stories match up! To me, that's just pure respect and there's no point not being respectful.

Hell, when me and Rance Draysom Rance Draysom were designing the Verge Flotilla we made a point of making Major and Minor faction rep roles that grant access to private rooms just so that we could promote communication. Maybe I'm just a sucker for communication, but who knows!

Which now begs the question.

How do we stop something like the angry message I got happening again? Do we create a list of who owns what world? Do we not bother? Who knows?

If anyone wants to make a list to that effect, that's cool. But no single writer owns a planet, be it Canon or custom. Your character can call themselves president/king/queen/czar/archduchess/whatever fancy title you can think of, but that doesn't make it board canon. Chaos is kind of multiple choice in that regard.

If a minor faction, a Codex Lore organisation or a single writer has set up shop on a planet, developed it and established a strong presence there, then it's obviously best to acknowledge that in some form. Courtesy aside, it can lead to interesting stories and enhance world-building. However, they can't tell you 'you're not allowed to rp on planet X'.

Only major factions exert full control over a planet, provided it is within their influence cloud, and even then they can't keep people from writing stories on them. If I wanna write a story on Korriban, Geonosis or Coruscant (all planets owned by a major), I can do that. The map shows the territory of each major faction.

Last edited:
I really like the idea.
Btw the CIS has a list of Vicelords within the faction forum. who is the viceroy of which planet. Which makes it so easy to find someone if you have questions about the planet :)

Caden Evesa Caden Evesa

Have a look at the map.

Faction influence clouds dictate who owns what planet. Major factions are the only ones who can technically control territory, so this would give you a pretty good indicator.

There are also minor factions that have their own ideas on various worlds, but largely they can't tell you not to do something.

In an ideal world, you could do your own thing, someone else could do their own thing, and a planet, which in spite of the scope of the star wars Galaxy is actually a VERY LARGE sandbox, would be big enough for everyone.

For everything else, there's MasterCa... I mean, the Codex. Maybe throw this one at them?

Here is an example: the Bryn'adûl territory as far as our narrative goes, has nothing but Draelvasier in it. On every planet, we've wiped out what came before, wiped out entire populations.

Does anybody have to acknowledge that? No. They could go and sit on our homeworld and fart on Tathra's bed or something and I couldn't do anything about it. But, Chaos is that self-policing kind of place where nobody would care about the dumbass disrespecting someone else's hard work. Usually.

People can do their own thing wherever they want, but there is usually enough space in the Galaxy for whatever you wanna do and enough common sense not to step on other peoples toes [Nothing wrong with doing it by accident either].

Caden Evesa Caden Evesa

A list is a nice idea but Lore on Planets and in Hexes change so easily that it would be very difficult to keep track.

From the posts above you can see, more or less, how writing on planets works within the confines of Chaos. Anyone can write anywhere they please. It doesn't matter who "owns" the space - But, if you're seeking collaboration, you can always use the Discord or Forums to try and see if there's anyone around with vested interest before proceeding.

It's not required though.

There's no sure-fire way of keeping others from having ants in their pants about certain things. You may occasionally get someone who is a little disgruntled, but overall, most people are willing to work something out or are just seeking a story. I would suggest that if someone reacts that sort of negative way and you're unable to work it through constructively, disengage, and block if necessary.

If the individual continues to try and contact you once you've either blocked or asked them to stop - You may also use the report feature. Harassment and abusive language are against several of the General Rules.

Most people don't react with an essay like that. It's unfortunate that you were on the receiving end of one.

Often, when members see you putting your best foot forward a lot of writers will follow suit. It sounds like you already try to reach out as much as you can. In my opinion, you're already on the right track.

Ingrid L'lerim Ingrid L'lerim

recently, I’ve discovered that the viceroyal does not necessarily equal the ‘ruler’ of the planet.

source: I’m not the Viceroy of Rannon, but am ‘ruler’ of the planet
200.gif

but I might just take that position for ease of understanding.
My hot take though: Like yourself Caden Evesa Caden Evesa I wanted to take an empty planet and do something with it, I want to make Rannon a place people want to RP on. But if somebody came along and thought they could do it better or could make better submissions to the factory then
¯\(ツ)
But some people are passionate about what they’ve done. But no one can or should expect you to paw through every line of a thread to know what happened on a planet that’s bananas.

Anesha Astapova

A
A long time ago I asked if there was any such list of current "rulers" of each planet, and I was directed to a thread that was three years out of date. Given how big Chaos is and how many planets there are, I can see how it would be difficult to keep track of everyone, not to mention that the person in charge of compiling such a list would have to be very active in several areas of the community to know what was going on (or they'd have to have friends who were). But I would be interested in seeing an updated list just as a resource for writers who want to work within the set bounds that have been established by other writers. After all, you can't RP by yourself - if you try, you're just writing fanfiction at that point. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom