Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To Post or Not To Post...

I'm torn. I feel like the urge to write has returned to me, yet I sit here staring at the keyboard and wonder where to even begin. To those who know me, you know how long Ive been at this. To those who don't, a little background.

I started writing RP in 1994 when I was 11, and Ket in the summer of 1998, back when the only real game in town was SWFans.net and the attached eZBoards. From there, sometime around the early 2000's, I went on to SW-RPG.net and Blade's Edge. Then when swrpg turned into a russian gulag, I meandered over to TGC and Descension.

Around when @[member="Tefka"] was thinking about making this fine RP board we all love, writing just kinda lost its luster with me completely. Iv'e written just TWO charries in my SWRP travels, one only a couple years old and barely out of the development stage. I'e done everything one can do with a single char. Jedi, to Sith, to Rogue and back again. Iv'e written with the best and the worst that the net has to offer, and after looking around the past week or so, I see so many people that I remember were just starting out and feel proud and priviledged to know that so many have become amazing, top tier writers that everyone else looks to as the measuring stick that it brings me to the following:

I hear alot of people say they are old or dinosaurs at the RP game, but I really AM. I don't say that to seem better than anyone, I just dont have a clue as to how to even begin to contribute as a writer anymore. The will and want are back, but I feel so out of time these days.

Where would I even begin?

Advice and opinions are most welcome and sought. :)

Well...

tumblr_mfkg60Qbd91qgrjt5o1_250.gif

That escalated quickly.

Wicked Witch of Schwartzweld
It's pretty adorable actually, LOL.

Ket, sweetie, you already know why I'm horrible at the advice department with my RP issues. But put up a movie or something, it can help. Or you know, your music. Or, see if you can do what I did with Desc Lena, and find some old phase of Ket that might work for you.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
You have to love abuse to RP Star Wars. Haha. Because writing is hard. Writing is time consuming. Writing makes you rub shoulders with people who are prettier than you. Writing is stressful, conflicting, and brainwrecking. God, do I hate writing! Ugh. But then again. I love writing sooo much more than I hate it. So I keep doing it. Obviously, I'm crazy. Such is life.

Indeed. I can come up with a thousands superficial reasons why I shouldn't be Roleplaying at all these days. But I ignore the haterz and soldier on. For the love of the game. :D

(PS: If you're really worried, talk it over with your wife. Like super super worried. Otherwise it's probably not that big a deal anyways.)

I find that if you... talk to people about your character, about their characters, in natural, normal conversation... sometimes conceiving a link between your character and someone else's (whether as a relationship, an encounter, etc) easily blooms stories. No man is an island, Ket. Find out what you want for your character in his life going forward, and people will gladly want to help you. It benefits your character, it benefits theirs.

And hey, I've been doing this on and off since SW-Fans.Net was really the only game in town, too. Okay, I lie. I started on TalkCity, then went to 'Fans. And I'm still there. ;)

And you talk of abuse, Jay? Have you seen my posting list? <_<

Wicked Witch of Schwartzweld
The abuse thing is pretty true. I think I was the happiest in writing when my characters were suffering through immense pain, emotional of course. Physical pain can only do so much. And I have characters who enjoy it way too much so no real fun in it.

Dude, do it. Do it for your fans :p. Now I know that there's nothing really left for you to achieve in this game, you already have the accolades and the legendary status (and because there is little in the way of honeys, cash money and whips to be had in the Star Wars RP game). But if the desire is there to write, it's worth doing for enjoyment's sake. Talk to someone on Skype and start spitballing ideas, bouncing thoughts around and see where it takes you. Then start a kickass thread. Because as someone who saw you around when I was first starting out, I'd kill to have Alen on the same planet at the same time as Ket, and I know that there are a heap of people who would kill for the same.

You are in the enviable position of being able to write with anyone, and now it seems that you are regaining the muse. Bounce some ideas around and then drop them on us.

So far, seems like a lot of good advice. I've got a couple of ideas brewing, but methinks a good foundation is in order.

@[member="Curupira Hawk"] , might I call upon you when needed for editing? I need a proper bio, so that's first thing. Just need someone to clean it up once I get the rough copy done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom