Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Timeline Year Change (Suggestion for the actual passage of time)

The median for year change is 5 years, can we please do 5 years instead of 2?

ccfc9648d3174e0bc4c43214153c4e9e.png

ca210bee145a0a9fd2c68093f6e702dc.png

Please see above for median evidence.
405591657346760707.png

thanks

:: HERO of KORRIBAN ::
It really doesn’t matter honestly. The site is fluid and I know a few writers whose players exist in two different timelines depending on their threads. If you want 5 make it 5.

The evidence you provide actually suggests that time jumps get smaller as they are added. 7 to 5 to 2...

Bunker-level Normal
Two different interpretations of the same data set? This cannot be! We must demand peer review! Examine the methodologies involved, and weigh the obvious criticisms! Do not rest until an unsettling standoff has been established, and things somehow move forward despite nobody actually being happy about it!

:: HERO of KORRIBAN ::
Moses help me... I don’t need to know the definition of Median, Mean, or Mode. I have an MBA specializing in finance and quantitative analysis.

I get what you’re saying... I just don’t see the point to deal with it when the staff already decided 2 years...

I want to note that there was a more descriptive explanation posted before, but I was asked by tefka to post it as you see above now. The long and short of it is that roughly the same amount of events (in terms of community ones) happened between 2015 and 2016 and from 2017 to 2019, and way less stuff happened between 2016 and 2017 than either of these two periods of time. These periods of varying activity (and especially the one from 2014 to 2015, as we had about 15 invasions then in the span of about 5-6 months) are reflected in the the way we pushed the timeline forward, which I remember being used as the rationale for the time change in 2017 when we only moved forward to 851 ABY.

tl;dr: almost nothing happened, comparatively, between 2016-2017 (2 year time skip), while a lot of stuff happened between 2015-2016(5 year) and 2017-2019(Current). The timeline should reflect this, rather than what is currently proposed.

(Note: The previous post was made in jest).

[member="Judah Lesan"] [member="Scherezade deWinter"]

(Edit: I only posted this suggestion because it was suggested by tefka in the discord general chat, I personally have no vested interest either way)

Time is a tool you can put on a wall, or wear it on your wrist.
The past is far behind us, the future doesn't exist.
Age is a number and Chaos is fine,
Yippie-ki-yay, who cares about time?
Five, or ten, or fifteen, or twenty.
Our members will still complain aplenty.

Mostly because 2yrs isn't nearly long enough for everything to have happened within.

Which to my mind discredits everything that's happened since the last time line update last year.

And also if it doesn't matter to you and it matters to some, just let it be 5 then.

Tathra Khaeus said:
Mostly because 2yrs isn't nearly long enough for everything to have happened within.

To be fair, that kind of applies...to all previous timeline updates as well.

The rise and fall of the Sith Empire (the original faction with that name), the Galactic Republic, the Omega Protectorate, the CIS (first incarnation), the Lords of the Fringe, the One Sith, the Mandalorian Clans (and the various successor groups that preceded ME), big conflicts such as the One Sith War, the First GA-FO War etc. all happened within less than twenty years.

Not to mention the various galactic events, such as Clockwork (AI tries to take over and murder all organics, temporarily occupying the capitals of various galactic powers), Dark Harvest (zombie apocalypse), Netherworld (we all go to hell - well, most of us, and the Force is wonky), Omega War (Rogue Sith try to go all Operation Cinder) and Incursion (ok, we spent most of our time pushing buttons).

Is this realistic? Nope. Quite a few of these events could have caused a large-scale collapse. However, it's been a thing for a while, so I'm not fussed about it. The board timeline's not mandatory, so I just follow my own.

[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]

Less than twenty years isn't quiet nearly as drastic as only two. And while it might be the case that it's been like that in the past, like Lis said, a median between the previous timejumps would be 5yrs, and it has been longer IRL since the last one and its previous timejump.

I see no reason for it to basically be a small time-jump. What difference does it make if its 5 anyway?
I'd be fine if we were saying it was a 2-5yr time jump from 853ABY, seeing as everyone already quotes it as being that time. But timejumping to the time we've been stating it is? I just, I see that as giving as a time jump without actually doing so. More so than just it not being a long enough time period it also feels like we're getting cheated out of actually getting listened to.

[member="Tathra Khaeus"]

Many of the events I lumped together have apparently occured in two years or less, per board timeline. Which led to weirdness like galactic wars lasting about a year and galactic powers rising and falling in one or two years.

Overall it's not very logical, but the board timeline is not mandatory and has never been. Dissatisfied with the official timeline? Everyone can make their own. It's what I've been doing all the time. It's a non-issue, especially compared to other stuff the board has had debates about in the past (e.g. master rank deregulation, factory reform, anything involving invasions or the map in general).

Hence why I'm not fussed up about whether we make a two, four or five year time jump. Really, the timeline just exists to give folks, especially new members, a broad overview. It used to be tied to staff run events and was used as a means of announcing them to the board at large, but we don't have those anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom