Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

skin, bone, and arrogance

dyrn_new_spacer1.png

It should have been a simple, straight-forward operation.

A group of Senators -- Natasi Fortan included -- had sponsored the confirmation of Amelia von Sorenn Amelia von Sorenn to the position of Supreme Commander of the Galactic Alliance Defense Force. The position had been filled by interims for too long now. Bean-counting, navel-gazing bureaucrats had their time and place, to be certain, but the Senator from the Renascent Republic did not believe that a hot war with the Mandalorian Enclave and sprouting conflicts across the galactic stage was that time or that place. The moment called for a steady hand, a determined spirit, and a capable leader, not an accountant.

Yes, it should have been simple, and perhaps it would be, Natasi mused as she left her office in the Senate building, en route to the Senate floor. Stranger things happened at sea. And yet -- like anything else, Natasi couldn't help but feel that matters had a way of overcomplicating themselves, particularly when the Senate was concerned, and doubly so when it involved some kind of authority or power.

Natasi greeted her aide at the pod and entered, moving to the podium to signal her intent to be recognized. She was on the agenda for the day, after all, as sponsor.

Moments later, the pod was humming softly as it floated into orbit around the Chair's podium, and the Senatoe from the Renascent Republic activated her microphone. "Madame Speaker. Fellow Senators and representatives. I rise today on a matter of importance and urgency: the filling of the leadership of our defense forces. During this Senate's term, our galaxy has become a more dangerous place. The reasons for this are largely outside of our control. We cannot control the bloodthirst of the Sith, nor the brutality of the Mandalorian Enclave. We can bend neither allies nor enemies to our will, and -- for the moment -- it appears the Galactic Alliance is alone as a substantial bulwark against the growth of these troubling groups."

Natasi turned her head to clear her throat so that the microphone didn't pick it up, then turned back to it. "After the retirement of the previous esteemed and capable Director of the Senate Intelligence Agency, the interim director oversaw a complacency in the agency that led to our nation being blindsided by the Mandalorian Enclave's actions against our territory and our people. I would like to say we have taken a lesson from that, and will recognize the wisdom in filling the position of Supreme Commander, an individual who will not only lead the brave beings of the Defense Forces, but liaise with the Chancellor, the Defense Committee, and other senior members of our government to ensure that we are well-equipped and well-prepared to face down the challenges we see now, and those that even now are rising to confront us. To that end, I place a motion on the floor of this august body to confirm the nomination Amelia von Sorenn to the position of Supreme Commander by a vote of the Senate."

She paused and inclined her head, surveying her colleagues briefly, as if sussing out which would be likely to offer a second. "I yield and respectfully reserve the remainder of my time." Natasi deactivated her microphone and stepped away, so that other members could state their views.

dyrn_new_spacer2.png

Senators​

THE WAY AHEAD

white.png

Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan
tf-commerce.png

The Alliance Senate had not convened for a long time, as the Galactic Alliance was preoccupied with the ongoing conflicts that plagued the galaxy. From the Mandalorian Crusades to the Sith Empire's Invasions of Neutral Systems with their undead army, the Alliance had its hands full.

However, amidst all this chaos, the Trade Federation of Planets thrived. They capitalized on the crisis by providing support for infrastructure projects and war factories throughout the Galactic Frontier. Surprisingly, they even struck private deals with Darth Carnifex, the Sith Warlord of the Holy Worlds, to further expand their economic influence across the galaxy, despite publicly opposing the Sith.

Even though their recent attempt to seize control of the Monarchy of Alderaan ended in disaster, House Ulgo's decision to rebel against the Federation's advice and pursue a Civil War for the throne was met with skepticism. Nevertheless, the Trade Federation's investors remained optimistic, causing the Alliance Credit to skyrocket in the galaxy's stock markets and ensuring a profitable financial quarter ahead.

Natasi Fortan - had summoned the Senatorial Body here to decide the fate of the Supreme Commander position which had been left vacant for some time despite the most recent mass mobilization of the Galactic Alliance Defense Force.

"With respect to your position, Senator Fortan. We cannot simply elevate a mere captain to the position of Supreme Commander over the Galactic Alliance Defense Forces without careful consideration." Minister Grimmin would speak out - wanting to put down any foolish notion of elevating Amelia Von Sorenn to the position of Supreme Commander by this august body.

"If Captain Von Sorenn is the best candidate for the job in the opinion of Senator Fortan, then invite her here in this chamber to present her case before us. Do not let the politics get in the way of our military strength." - The Neimoidian would never openly say that we was against the idea of someone becoming the Supreme Commander of the GADF, but there was some hesitation to approve someone that had come from a foreign government. They had already let Senator Tithe become the Supreme Chancellor despite being a refugee from the Sith Empire.

Last edited:
Lehvi was of two minds (putting aside that as a mere Representative, and not a Senator, he really didn't have a vote, but that was neither here nor there).

On one hand, the candidate put forward was Amelia Von Sorenn. Vass's frowned deepened as he glanced through his datapad, eyes flicking to the opening arguments and back at the screen. Von Sorenn had certainly lived a long, and colorful life. The blackest mark on her nomination for Lehvi- and likely Al'Har Federation- was her affiliation with the Confederacy of Independent Systems.

The very Confederacy that invaded Haruun Kal, viewing the Korun as veritable cache of Force-sensitive shock troops to augment the Knights Obsidian. Von Sorenn's role in the subjugation of Haruun Kal had to be addressed.

On the other hand, while Lehvi had never met Natasi Fortan, he had heard stories of the woman from his uncle, Zakar Vass. Zakar had served as the Moff of Education in the First Order, until he was assassinated by a radical, xenophobic faction during it's collapse. His son- Lehvi's cousin- was rescued and spirited to Haruun Kal by one of Fortan's First Imperial Knights, a Chiss named...Bernu, he believed?

Lehvi maneuvered his pod forward.

"Senator Fortan- I would like first to sincerely tell you that it is an honor to meet you. My uncle, Zakar Vass, spoke highly of you. And I am in agreement; we have enjoyed 25 years of uninterrupted peace. But a shroud falls over the galaxy. The Mandalorians are on the warpath. The Sith have consolidated after blows that were to dealt them at Exegol, and they press Alliance borders. This Empire of the Lost continues to pull in the Imperial war machine, which otherwise remains in abeyance. A leader capable of meeting the moment is needed."

Lehvi's voice gained an edge.

"But is Amelia Von Sorenn that leader? I cannot dispute her martial prowess. But what of her judgement? She is a former member of the Confederacy of Independent Systems- A High Marshall, at that. This was a government that, fifty years ago, invaded my home, Haruun Kal. They slaughtered our leaders, decimated clans, and burned our homes. All to take our children- our future- to fight their wars."

"My question is this: what is Amelia Von Sorenn's role in the subjugation of Haruun Kal? And in empowering her to be Supreme Commander of the Galactic Alliance Defense Force, what will she do in your name, when you let her loose?"

"I yield."

Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan Amelia von Sorenn Amelia von Sorenn Lodd Grimmin Lodd Grimmin

Last edited:

Lucas Gracin

Excelsus of the Howlaw Court
Veradune was one of the Galactic Alliance's newest acquisitions, thus its senator had until recently, been more involved with the internal politics of his planet rather than the galaxy over all. Lucas had come to this meeting with hopes of offering his own wisdom to the proceedings, his centuries of life giving him plenty of experience to draw from, but opening his mouth without all of the proper information would only prove detrimental to that end. Thus, he first elected to sit quietly in his seat, his ears flicking between the arguments and questions.

War was upon them, that much was true. It was brewing on multiple fronts, and that meant that times were growing far too dangerous to sit idly by. The Alliance needed reliable guiding hands in its position of power. It also needed people who would hold to its ideals, rather than use this opportunity to corrupt the faction's purpose on the galactic stage. Lehvi Vass Lehvi Vass had admittedly raised an important question. While Senator Gracin was willing to overlook ancient history, he would prefer to hear from Sorenn's own mouth just how much her past would affect their future. "I concur with Senator Grimmin. Captain Sorenn will be expected to protect the ideals of the people of the Galactic Alliance through force. As the voice of the people, it seems right that we would speak with her before conferring this awesome responsibility."

Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan Amelia von Sorenn Amelia von Sorenn Lodd Grimmin Lodd Grimmin

Tag: Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan Lodd Grimmin Lodd Grimmin Lehvi Vass Lehvi Vass Lucas Gracin Lucas Gracin

Senator Rens Ahim sat in his seat with arms folded together over the chest. He carefully observed the proceedings. He agreed with the need for a supreme commander for the GADF especially in light of everything but the candidate's past was brought up. While most seemed to focus on the choosing of a new commander he inwardly reviewed what Senator Fortan said earlier about the galactic state of affairs.

Out of our hands… Is she suggesting we just stay completely on the defensive and let our enemies continue to gather strength?

His home planet was close to the southern border so as its representative he was concerned at what Fortan could be pushing toward. On the other hand the Alliance can't afford to fight all its enemies all at once. Fronts had to be prioritized over others. Another reminder why the Defense Forces need a new supreme commander to handle it.

Getting to his feet the Mon Calamari senator got on his pod's podium and spoke.

"I agree. Captain Sorenn should either be here to answer these questions and state her case or at the least speak with us through holovideo. I will add a question of my own. What of other candidates for the role of supreme commander? We have to consider that as well.”

Last edited:
Caulder Dune had to struggle to stay awake these days, but occasionally he found it in himself to weigh in. His pod remained in the wall while he droned on in his usual. "The Commerce Guild would like to take this opportunity to... Thank and commend Captain Sorenn for her distinguished service to the Galactic Alliance," he offered the Senate a dead, practically rictus smile.​
Maybe he could have rattled on and disparaged her prior work history. The Confederacy of Independent Systems had been an awful, sham government centered around a Sith Lord who very conveniently kept getting "elected." Little more than an orgy of depraved Sith masters with a veneer of civility and excellent PR. And the purple. Who could forget all the purple they slathered on everything? Caulder could hardly think of that color any more without his stomach churning.​
And it churned now. Not a normal occurrence for a cyborg. He wondered what Sorenn had been up to in the days immediately preceding the Confederacy's collapse. How much of that awful business could be attributed to her own personal failures? Who could say. If it wasn't on the intelligence office's radar - or if they just didn't care - then he wouldn't waste words on it.​
"The Guild very much looks forward to all she will assuredly accomplish in her capacity as Supreme Commander," he concluded. "We yield."​
That was that. Guilds didn't get a vote these days. He retreated from the podium and made himself comfortable on the bench. The old umbaran was alone in his pod - save for the same sleek, ominous protocol droid that nearly always shadowed him.​
Now, to watch the show...​

dczUVji.png

Casteban Mecetti rose from his seat in his Senatorial pod, addressing those gathered here.

"Obulette Speaks," he declared in his customary fashion.

Then he gave a moment before proceeding on.

"I had until recently been of the opinion that elevating a mere Captain to the rank Supreme Commander might be premature.

But my colleagues have altered my thinking on this matter.

We are at War, Ladies, Gentlemen, and Otherbeings. And Representative Vass seems to think that the Captain is not only an effective Commander, but descends from a bloodthirsty regime known to deal harshly with its enemies.

That is a sufficient endorsement, to my mind.

But if further proof is needed of her suitability, it will not be found in a conversation within these Senate Chambers.

No... if the Senate wants her to prove herself, let us assign her a military task, and see if she can prosecute it successfully. If she can, then I do not care if she is the High Queen of Hell whose mother once sold your forefathers into slavery.

I want her commanding our forces. I want her winning our battles.

Choose a Hex on the Map, and let her Take It from our Enemies.

Then her suitability for these bloody times will be well and truly judged."

He sat down again, adding, "I yield the remainder of my time."

Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan Lodd Grimmin Lodd Grimmin Lehvi Vass Lehvi Vass Lucas Gracin Lucas Gracin Rens Ahim Rens Ahim Caulder Dune Caulder Dune

Alicio was glad to see Natasi Fortan on the Senate floor once more. Negotiating for her safety was perhaps the only decision he'd made recently that didn't keep him tossing and turning at night, wondering if he had missed a better way to handle it. Everything else came with stipulations, and questions.

Those could wait for another time. He may have picked up more responsibilities elsewhere, but here, he was Senator Organa. It was time to get to work.

That being said... for now, Alicio was content to sit back, too.

He made an effort not to comment on matters he held no knowledge of, and the merits of Amelia von Sorenn Amelia von Sorenn was one of those matters. He'd done his research, of course, scouring through the Assembly's extensive records, comparing battle histories and stat sheets. She seemed competent, but was competency good enough, with the emerging threats to democracy, and the taste of sour flowers tickling his tongue on the horizon? She served the Alliance now, but what could be said of her loyalty?

He didn't know, which is why he waited. Watched over the scene with interest, cape held still around his body. If he felt the need to comment, or understood enough to utter his support one way or another, he would, but for now, the Alderaanian was content to brood.

A former Imperial head of state was supporting a former Confederate for appointment in a major Alliance office? Hilarious.

But by this point no one ought to have given a womp rat's ass that Amelia von Sorenn Amelia von Sorenn was a former High Marshall. The Alliance was full of such controversial figures operating at some of the highest positions of government. Nor did Sycorax really care if she may or may not have subjugated the natives on Haruun Kal (or on who knew how many other CIS-conquered worlds). After all, who among them hadn't committed a few war crimes?

Yet regardless of what was said today, her vote would be an adamant, emphatic No. She had known what von Sorenn was from the moment she first saw her in the audience chamber of the Hapan royal palace. You couldn't spend over a decade fighting vampires on Necropolis and fail to recognize a bloodsucker when you encountered one.

Inside her pod, Sycorax sat in grim, contemplative silence. She knew her vote wouldn't count for much. Putting aside the fact that some Senators were already announcing their support for the next Supreme Commander, there were no other viable candidates available for the job. Nor was it worth the risk revealing what she knew of von Sorenn's true nature to the public. But if she became Supreme Commander... A vampiress leading the armies of the Alliance...

Well, that's the way of it back home, she thought miserably. Why should she have expected it to be any different out here?

Damian Du Couteau, Senator of Empress Teta
Outfit

JiGZUcY.png

Damian kept his eyes down to his data-slate, the briefing reports given to him were interesting, though he wished he had more time. With his left hand covering his mouth as he attempted to stifle a yawn, the dark rings beneath his eyes made it clear that time was in short supply for the young Senator. Where’s my youthful energy that the older politicians keep mentioning? Damian sighed inwardly as he looked up to hear the discussion being had between the other Senators.

Confirmation hearings for final votes were never as simple as most people assume, especially when it came to matters of defense. Damian had read his father’s notes and articles from past Senate hearings and votes, it felt as if rolling the dice proved far easier to predict. For his own part Damian held no strong feelings towards the appointment of the new Supreme Commander. How large of a war can the Sith create? He read a few reports on the matter and the attacks seemed to lack teeth.

What did bring Damian to raise an eyebrow was the apparent military history of Captain von Sorenn, the Confederacy had been a formerly large galactic body. Formerly. Damian would need to go back to the Senate library and read the history books for more information, but the collapse of the Confederacy had been a slow and seemingly painless end. From recollection it opened up new worlds for the Alliance to take in and offered larger markets with new trade routes.

Damian shuffled in his seat, the uncomfortable cushions making any attempt to relax quite difficult. He glanced back down to his data-slate and began to work through the reports at a quicker pace.

Khala_2.png

Hapes2.png

Senate

"This Alliance once raised a former Moff, a direct enemy to this Alliance, to the position of Chancellor," Kha'la chimed in after Lehvi Vass Lehvi Vass had spoken and expressed concerns regarding Amelia von Sorenn Amelia von Sorenn 's past. "I agree it is wise to thoroughly judge one's character for positions of power, but hasn't she already proven herself?" Kha'la asked while she glanced around the senate room. Several had already spoken up about wanting to see and hear from her in person.

But too many were quiet.

"She has been your only reliable Naval commander in every recent battle. From the Caldera crisis, to recently supporting my people at Hapes. Never once has she proven inadequate or willing to break your laws for our victories." Kha'la dipped her head to the room and took a step back to join the guards that surrounded her.

"She has our support, for as long as she honors the oaths she has taken to lead the soldiers of this Alliance in times of war."

@Everybody
HApes1.png

"I would not consider Tithe's appointment to be a winning endorsement for von Sorenn," Sonya finally spoke up after the Hapan queen had finished. The Alliance's cosmopolitan nature was to its benefit in her eyes, no doubt. But in recent history some of their promotions were questionably lenient of past records. And after the pan-galactic headache someone like say, Senator Fossk, had caused, you'd think they'd be a little more cautious in their background checks.

"Are we really not capable of mustering a more… homegrown candidate? One that doesn't have conflicting past ties with Sith and hostile foreign powers? All due respect, how did she even get this high up in the chain of command? What sort of vetting process was there?" In truth, this wasn't just about the GADF anymore, to Sonya at least. She sighed, "I've long supported the Alliance for all the good it can do as a unifying force. But our overzealousness in putting controversial figures into position of powers tells me we're growing weaker, not stronger. Lacking in competent leadership figures so dearly that we have to appoint the first qualified face we find, regardless of whatever possible baggage they bring with them."

Sonya looked around at the many pods encompassing the chamber. Most were at least willing to hear Amelia out. Perhaps that was the right call, but there was too much else at play beyond whatever words she could present to the crowd. All the same Sonya realized she was going on for too long, "I will leave it at that. Apologies. I yield my time."

skin, bone, and arrogance

dyrn_new_spacer1.png

The Trade Federation's representative leading the obstructionist charge was about as surprising as the direction from which the sun rose and in which the sun set, but Natasi confessed to a momentary twinge of irritation at the utter banality of it. It seemed to be reflexive of these people to be contrarian. There was a profit motive at play somewhere, Natasi thought grimly, there simply had to be. Perhaps the most cliché of motivations, true, but at least somewhat easier to deal with than mustache-twirling evil for the sake of it.

Natasi frowned, closing her eyes to suppress the roll of her eyes, at least from the holocam views. She only wished that she could call herself surprised that this body, after doing nothing to date to address the vacancy and ignoring the obvious dangers such a vacancy could cause, suddenly got itself exercised about it when someone did try to do something.

She touched the microphone control as she rose.

"I am gratified to hear that my colleagues in this esteemed and august body have at last taken an interest in this matter," Natasi said, her tone collegial but distinctly lacking in warmth. Her fingers seized the sides of the podium and she went on: "The concerns raised by some of my colleagues do not fall on deaf ears and I'm certain that Captain Von Sorenn would be amenable to meeting the concerns of the individuals present, not least of all from the representative Vass. I remember his uncle as a principled public servant whose life was cut short too soon and, I am certain, this principled nature is part of his family culture."

She paused a moment and glanced toward the chair. "Knowing my colleagues as I do -- well -- I will request that this session of the Senate be closed to the media and remain under seal. In their vigor and haste to -- shall we say -- vet the Captain, I would hate to have information or misinformation irrelevant to her fitness to serve be made public. To have the potential for unit discipline to break down in order to make our concerns and questions known would be contra to our interests. I move the meeting be closed, and I will invite Captain Von Sorenn to join us here at her earliest opportunity."

Her staff would place the call as soon as she said that, such that a pod was readied for Amelia von Sorenn Amelia von Sorenn 's use upon her arrival to the Senate chamber.

dyrn_new_spacer2.png

@Senators​

Lehvi silently watched the Senators take turns speaking on Captain von Sorenn's candidacy, taking notes. By and large, the prevailing opinion of the body was that von Sorenn should, at the bare opinion, avail herself to questioning.

His jaw tightened almost imperceptibly as the Hapan Queen Kha'la Daaray Kha'la Daaray voiced support for the candidacy. Understandable, given the role von Sorenn had played in the Se'n Dorrin insurgency on Relephon IV. 'She says the von Sorenn wouldn't break laws to achieve victory' , he thought. But would she follow unjust laws to achieve victories? Is she willing to do what is just over what is expedient? If she was following orders on Haruun Kal, then that's a mark against her character already.'

Lehvi's relaxed his jaw when Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan took the pulpit. He felt a tinge of guilt- not for standing up to demand answers, but for possibly giving fodder to Senator Fortan's political rivals. He took a moment to write a note, thanking Senator Fortan for transparency, explaining his misgivings, and welcoming the opportunity to work with her on future initiatives in any capacity. Motioning to an aide, he directed the staffer to deliver the note to Senator Fortan's chief of staff.

He moved his pod forward.

"I am in accord with Senator Fortan. To have this...discussion on the public record could be detrimental to the esprit de corps of the GADF. I welcome the opportunity to discuss my misgivings with Captain Von Sorenn, and a closed session is the most productive course of action at this juncture."

Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan | Lodd Grimmin Lodd Grimmin | Lucas Gracin Lucas Gracin | Rens Ahim Rens Ahim | Caulder Dune Caulder Dune | Casteban Mecetti Casteban Mecetti | Alicio Organa Alicio Organa | Sycorax Laveaux Sycorax Laveaux | Damian Du Couteau Damian Du Couteau | Kha'la Daaray Kha'la Daaray

AmeTemp.png
THE WAY AHEAD

The last few days, let alone the last few hours, had been a flurry of activity and even the weeks prior had their issues that had arisen to be dealt with ever since the opening of the Caldera Crisis. The Alliance had only just held onto Celanon and kept the Sith from pushing further along the Hydian Way, however, it was the loss of Yavin IV that had signaled the need for a greater response. With the growing threat of the Sith, whispers of an old enemy regaining strength, and the recent blow from the Mandalorians, it was a wonder that the Galactic Alliance still stood firm. The woman had only just barely been able to take a breath following the actions in the Relephon System when the news broke that the Sith Order was mobilizing against the Rimward Trade League to lay siege to their capital, and it was during the moment she was attempting to make the preparations that the message from Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan had found the Captain.

At that moment the very last thing she had wanted to do was deal with the bureaucratic nightmare that any form of Senatorial or Representative body could muster, however, the reason for the request was something that demanded its answer. With a heavy sigh, she stopped in her tracks, taking the moment to straighten herself out and ensure that she was at least somewhat presentable. After all, she was just as likely to be judged for her appearance in the Senate as she was for any actions she may take to ensure that they could continue to squabble over needing to take action whilst obstructing those who sought to take action.

"Subcaptain Thane, ensure that Theselon Squadron is ready to deploy as soon as I return. We'll collect additional reinforcements along the way to Susevfi."

With a simple salute, the woman left her Second-in-Command to the task of ensuring that the squadron would be ready to engage the Sith when the time came. For now, she would deal with the heated winds and hotter minds that seemingly governed the Alliance or at the very least pretended to govern whilst lining their own pockets. The trip was uneventful, resoundingly so, and gave the woman more than enough time to center herself and collect her thoughts. She cared little for the political machinations and the politicking that happened in such spaces, so much so that even those few times she attended such proceedings during the height of the Confederacy, she found herself rather annoyed with those individuals who sought to prevent action due to the possibility of harm, rather than answering the harm already being caused.

As the speeder came to a halt in front of the Federal Assembly building, Amelia took the moment to draw in a deep breath once more before she disembarked from the vehicle. The armor she wore felt like a second skin to the woman, and she was more than comfortable in it to handle the issues that might be brought up or any accusations that she was likely to have levied against her in the past. Stepping into the pod that was awaiting her, she hadn't bothered even leaving her sidearm with the guard, it was not her intention to stay any longer than required of her as she nodded to the individual that controlled the pod to bring it forward.

Her hands carefully grasped the helmet that she wore, slowly removing it from her brow as her nearly silver hair cascaded down over her shoulders and down her back as though a river had just been freed. The helmet would find itself being placed down near her, though not too far away as her eyes became slowly accustomed to the light. It wasn't as bright as the sunlight, though it was still bright enough to cause her some slight discomfort.

"Senator Fortan, esteemed Representatives of the Federal Assembly, my apologies for my appearance, you've called for me during a time of turmoil whilst I was preparing Theselon Squadron to move to assist the Rimward Trade League evacuate their Capital of Susevfi before the Sith Order struck. How may I assist you?"

The last question had its hint of sarcasm underlying the rather genuine tone, one only needed to dig deep enough or listen close enough to hear the soft sigh that slipped out following the question. The woman's golden-yellow hues carefully took in the various other pods and individuals that all seemed to have their thoughts and attention if momentarily, focused upon her.

Kha'la Daaray Kha'la Daaray | Lodd Grimmin Lodd Grimmin | Lehvi Vass Lehvi Vass | Lucas Gracin Lucas Gracin | Rens Ahim Rens Ahim | Caulder Dune Caulder Dune | Casteban Mecetti Casteban Mecetti | Alicio Organa Alicio Organa | Sycorax Laveaux Sycorax Laveaux | Damian Du Couteau Damian Du Couteau | Sonya Provost Sonya Provost

THE WAY AHEAD

white.png

Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan
tf-commerce.png

As the Galactic Alliance continued its march forward, the esteemed members of the Alliance Senate remained stagnant. This was absolutely fine with the Trade Federation of Planets, as they continued to reap one profitable gain after another. The Trade Federation's worst nightmare would be if the Senate actually achieved something significant that would benefit the entire Alliance, rather than just their own selfish interests. The greedy bankers and industrialists of the Federation couldn't even fathom such a foolish idea.

The Neimoidian's motion was gaining momentum among the senators in the chamber. Each senator expressed their opinions, both in favor and against Captain Von Sorenn becoming the next Supreme Commander of the Galactic Alliance Defense Forces. Leading the opposition, Representative Lehvi Vass Lehvi Vass was the first to voice his concerns. He pointed out that the Captain had previously served in the Confederacy of Independent Systems, which had ruthlessly oppressed the Sovereign System of Haruun Kal without any remorse.

Senator Rens Ahim Rens Ahim , on the other hand, recognized the importance of keeping politics separate from military affairs. Understanding this, he not only supported the proposal put forth by the Minister but also advocated for summoning Aemlia Von Sorenn to further discuss the matter and wanting to know if there were any other qualified candidates for the position.

Senator Caulder Dune Caulder Dune 's lackluster speech made it evident that he was not the most passionate advocate for any cause. Despite his long tenure in the senate, he seemed to have lost the drive and ambition that was often associated with the Corporate Bloc during Tithe's Administration.

Senator Casteban Mecetti Casteban Mecetti proved to be far more zealous in promoting military actions than initially anticipated. His perspective leaned more towards endorsing the Imperialist Doctrine rather than aligning with the Alliance Policy. In order to determine where she stood, he proposed assigning her a specific task to complete prior to the crucial vote on the appointment of a Supreme Commander.

Queen Kha'la Daaray Kha'la Daaray enthusiastically backed the promotion of Von Sorenn to Supreme Commander, possibly influenced by her gender rather than her actual battle performance.

Senator Sonya Provost Sonya Provost was the only senator currently within the chamber that had any sense left within her; wanting to know if the Alliance was weaker rather than stronger by constantly looking for outsiders to fill important positions like the Supreme Commander or Chancellor.

Senator Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan who introduced the concept of promoting Von Sorenn spoke up wanting to assure the assembly that Amelia Von Sorenn would make herself known for questioning and wanting to keep this assembly quiet from the public.

"We should not close this assembly merely based on misinformation concerns. We are the representatives of the public are we not?" The Trade Federation was all about skirting the rules of the assembly but to close such a vital session to the public over some misinformation concerns was a foolish notion.

Amelia von Sorenn Amelia von Sorenn appeared before them after some time - wearing some battle armor and helmet. Something of note did catch the interest of the Trade Federation delegate about the movement of troops to assist the Rimward Trade League in evacuating their capital before the Sith Empire launched their campaign.

"I think a better
question at this time, Captain Von Sorenn. Is why you are mobilizing troops to support the Rimward Trade League without the express permission from this esteemed body. Last time I recalled we do not have any outstanding defensive treaties with the Rimward League and are under no obligation to help them." The Neimoidian said moving the pod forward

Last edited:
if they're watching anyways

Auteme did not rise to speak, but merely leaned forward in her chair.

"Captain von Sorenn is acting on the directives of the Defense Committee as well as her commanding officers. We are under no obligations to help the Rimward Trade League, just as we are under no obligations to allow the Sith to ride unchecked into hyperlanes that run directly through our space."

Her gaze left the Nemoidian, and went to the captain.

"My understanding was that this hearing was to be scheduled properly and that you would be given ample time to prepare. But, I suppose this shows your dedication to your work. My understanding is that this body does not have many reservations about your ability to command even so large a force as the entire Defense Force, but rather in your loyalty and your character. There will, certainly, be candidates equally skilled, but the position of Supreme Commander requires certain qualities to wield properly.

"I'd like you to start with Ambassador Vass's question. His people were slaughtered by the Confederacy in a time where you were a highly ranked military officer. Did you have any hand in Haruun Kal's devastation? And if not, what did you think of it?"
She sat back, signalling to the captain to respond, but also gave a glance to Vass, letting him know that he would have priority to respond or ask follow up questions if he deemed it necessary.

AmeTemp.png
THE WAY AHEAD

Neimoidians, it had once been said of the species that they were greedy and weak-willed, placing an emphasis more on wealth and status. They were a species that would sooner sell their grubs from a communal hive it meant an extra credit or two in their pocket, and Minister Lodd Grimmin Lodd Grimmin seemed all too willing to embody that stereotype of their species. The woman's hand came down to rest gently on the helmet that sat at the edge of the pod, her nails lightly scraping along the metal as her golden-yellow hues fell upon the Neimoidian, a soft smile tugging ever so slightly at the edge of her lips, and she was mindful enough to not permit it to turn into a smirk when she heard the Chancellor speak up; drawing her attention towards the center of the building and the woman herself.
When the moment permitted, and she had her chance to speak, her attention once more turned to the Neimoidian, that sly smile remaining as she watched the individual's pod move forward. She was mindful of her behavior, though she would have loved nothing more than to throw the sniveling greedy bureaucrat from his pod, she had to keep herself focused on the real reason she was there.
"Ahem, Senator..."
She began to speak before pausing, catching herself and her words before she offered a slight bow out of respect. However, it was not out of respect for the Neimoidian nor its position, rather it was a show of respect to the body as a whole for misaddressing a member within the chambers itself.
"My apologies to the Assembly for my misspoken words, I am not often versed in speaking in such a chamber, nor had it been my forte in previous lines of work. Minister Grimmin, as Chancellor Auteme Auteme has made clear, my actions have been directed by the appropriate committee and have been approved, I was merely caught off-guard by this request and had arrived promptly when I could have just as easily continued about my duties in ensuring that Theselon Squadron was prepared and ready to be deployed. Likewise, I am not taking action to prop up the government of the Rimward Trade League, nor am I seeking to deliver a blow to the Sith Order, I am merely assisting the people of Susevfi, the innocent civilians that would be caught in the crossfire. However, I understand that such a concept may be difficult to process logically for an individual of a species with such a vast and honored history as your own."
Amelia offered a slight smile as she finished addressing the Minister, her attention only lingering just slightly so before she turned to the second question that had poised in regards to the activities of the Confederacy of Independent Systems and how they had allegedly devastated the planet of Haruun Kal and its people when it was absorbed into the fold. Bringing her free hand forward, she lightly motioned so that the pod would slip away from the Neimoidian, though just barely to give them a slight scare before she positioned the pod between Senator Lehvi Vass Lehvi Vass and the Chancellor.
"Senator Vass, while I do not doubt that your people and the planet of Haruun Kaal suffered mistreatment at the hands of the Confederacy, I will not state that I was merely following orders; however, nor can I stand here and answer for the activities or behaviors of other individuals that were involved in the events that transpired on the planet. I can only respond as to my service, and at the time of the events on Haruun Kaal, I had only just recently joined the Confederacy Navy and accepted a Capitancy just before engaging the Mandalorians when they invaded the Echani homeworld of Eshan. Following that, I was recovering on the planet of Stobar, and would not actively participate in further expansion of the Confederacy of Independent Systems until months after Haruun Kaal when I arrived on the station orbiting Omwat."
The woman paused for a moment, ensuring that the body of the Federal Assembly had the moment to consider what had been said in regards to the events that had occurred on Haruun Kaal, events that she had no hand in, nor did she participate in executing.
"What transpired on Haruun Kaal should be investigated and those responsible should answer for it, however, is it fair that I must answer for the behavior or actions of others? I have no more control over or understanding of the designs of the former Viceroy of the Confederacy than I do over the current Chancellor of this very body."
Amelia took a slight step back, ensuring that the Senator and the Chancellor would have their time to speak and respond to what had been said by the woman. She was there to serve the Galactic Alliance now, she was not there to answer for the former Confederacy nor did she feel that she was responsible for doing so; it had fallen so many years prior, and that was the point, it was dead and buried, and she remained. Perhaps in someway, the Senator was seeking closure, though, that too, was not something she could give nor was she responsible for.

wN8lHa6.png

"Obulette Speaks," Casteban Mecetti announced from his seat in his pod.

He looked on at the Captain for a moment before speaking again.

"Captain. I do not care about what insidious body you may have worked for in the past. I likewise do not care about the war crimes of yesteryear, which you have never been connected to, in any event.

You work for us, now. And the Galactic Alliance is at War. We are surrounded by enemies, who circle us like sewage circling a drain.

We need a decisive and capable leader.

So what I care about is this: Can you go on the offensive? Can you beat them? Can you win?"

He waved his hand.

"All of our defensive actions, and quelling of rebellious uprisings, and evacuations of civilians... all well and good, but it teaches us nothing that we actually need to know.

I want a leader for our forces who is bloodthirsty enough to rip territory away from our enemies.

The Stars know, they are aiming to rip territory away from Us.

So... are you bloodthirsty, Captain? Will you take them apart, before they tear us to pieces?"

Lucas Gracin Lucas Gracin | Rens Ahim Rens Ahim | Caulder Dune Caulder Dune | Casteban Mecetti Casteban Mecetti | Alicio Organa Alicio Organa | Sycorax Laveaux Sycorax Laveaux | Damian Du Couteau Damian Du Couteau | Kha'la Daaray Kha'la Daaray | Sonya Provost Sonya Provost Amelia von Sorenn Amelia von Sorenn

Lehvi pursed his lips, taking in Amelia von Sorenn Amelia von Sorenn statement stonily, breaking eye contact periodically to take notes. At the conclusion of the woman's statement, he hummed thoughtfully, taking a swig of water before beginning to speak.

"A few things, Captain. We do not know each other well, but I am Lor'Pelek of Haruun Kal- "Jungle Master" in Korunnal. I serve as head of state for the Al'Hari Federation- an governing body in which I am responsible for the lives of billions of Korun, many of whom which have only known pain, trauma, and suffering for the past generations- and persist to this day- through the actions of the governing body you took up arms for- that you swore fealty to. I will seek justice for these atrocities, at every opportunity.

"That being said, I am heartened to hear you had no hand- directly or indirectly- in the atrocities that transpired on Haruun Kal. I can imagine your consternation at having to answer for...oh yes, 'answer for the behavior or actions of others'. The notion of answering for an planetary invasion of a Mid-Rim world that did not even occur in the lifetimes of some of the beings may seem trite and irrelevant to you, Captain, but I believe that it behooves this body to aggressively interrogate the character of anybody seeking greater responsibility, that may have been affiliated with government that would perpetuate something like this. You can be a former Mandalorian, a former Sith, a former Imperial- the premise remains the same. When faced with doing what is right, and what is easy, what do you choose, Captain? Heavy is head that wears the crown."

Lehvi turned to Auteme Auteme .

"Chancellor, thank you for allowing the time for questioning. I am satisfied that, based on her testimony, Captain Von Sorenn was not complicit in the atrocities committed in Haruun Kal by the Confederacy of Independent Systems. I yield, and may the Force be with you, Captain."

Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan | Lodd Grimmin Lodd Grimmin | Lucas Gracin Lucas Gracin | Rens Ahim Rens Ahim | Caulder Dune Caulder Dune | Casteban Mecetti Casteban Mecetti | Alicio Organa Alicio Organa | Sycorax Laveaux Sycorax Laveaux | Damian Du Couteau Damian Du Couteau | Kha'la Daaray Kha'la Daaray | Auteme Auteme | Amelia von Sorenn Amelia von Sorenn

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom