Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction The Trial of the Dark Empress [Part II]

n0m34qi.png
During the trial, Valery's gaze had lingered somewhere between Ashin and Wyatt while she got lost in her thoughts. She was picking up on what was being said, but she was also thinking about where this trial could go, and what the future was going to hold when a verdict was finally made. Would this trial be the first of many targeting powerful Sith in the Galaxy? Or would disaster strike again? It hadn't been too long ago that Carnifex escaped his trial.
Either way, Valery was snapped out of her own thoughts when Wyatt called on her and Romi for their skills with Psycohemtry. She briefly glanced at the blonde and dipped her head lightly before she made her way over. Confiscated items were brought forward on display and for a moment, she looked at them
As useful as Psychometry was, touching anything with it that contained memories or emotions related to Sith was risky. The Dark Side, people being harmed or killed — they could be incredibly overwhelming things to experience through the ability. So Valery certainly wasn't fond of the idea, but she understood why and believed it to be important enough to go through with it.
"Let's do this one at a time, Master Jade," Valery suggested, in case either one of them would be overwhelmed.
Valery's hand then shifted to the Khovesk and Anticoncussion Should Pad, which she decided to start with. Her eyes closed and at the touch of her fingertips, her mind was opened to echoes of the past. Almost instantly, memories and emotions rushed inside, carrying along images of the woman slaying Drengir.
"Drengir, lots of them. Killed with this weapon while this pad was worn." She frowned and opened her eyes — these items weren't quite what they were looking for, so she turned to the rest and looked at Romi, who had gotten ready with the Crown now.
n0m34qi.png

Ashin Cardé Varanin

Couple bodies in the garden where the grass grows
"Drengir, lots of them. Killed with this weapon while this pad was worn."

Though the memories in question were desperate, furious, terrified things, Ashin couldn't restrain a smile of distant satisfaction. The Drengir still hunted her, certainly — and had done their best to ruin everything she'd built in recent years — but she'd extracted her share of revenge.

She'd answered their implacable hatred in kind, stood up to them. And though they might well kill her if she didn't find a solution (or if the Jedi didn't beat them to it), she felt deep and lasting pride. She'd made the Drengir earn their victories the hard way.

Valery Noble Valery Noble might feel that pride, not just the desperation and the rage.

PEACE STATION — EXTERIOR

Ghost grass rustled around Jorus' knees. Ten thousand square kilometers of the pale grass covered this artificial moon, except for ancient Zeffo structures that soared above the surface or intruded deep below. The sky was a plain starscape — a breathable atmosphere tight against the surface, too contained to obscure the stars. He'd been near here before: the constellations brought up memories of fireside chats with people who'd never seen a blaster or a starship.

On a better day, he would have found the hike beautiful, the newest alien world of a thousand he'd been lucky enough to visit. Today his knees just hurt.

He took a seat on overgrown Zeffo stonework and drank from his canteen. Little things chirped and shivered in the ghost grass.

On balance, he decided he didn't regret telling Morga to space Varanin. But the prospect of testifying still weighed on him like a sigh that wouldn't come out of his chest. The Lords of the Fringe had given him harsh days, angry days. Bloody ones too, when the fighting retreats erred on the slow side.

He checked his comlink, tsked, and took off his boots to rest. They'd call him if and when they needed his testimony. A little dread crept in. And it was that or anger, so he stuck with the dread.

Korr raised an eyebrow as the psychometry experts dug through the memories of Ashin’s accoutrements. Eventually they would find something tying her back to the Sith, he was sure of it.

He didn’t think she was intentionally evil, but then most were not. Just misguided. Though the same could be said of Jedi, especially this latest Ashlan Crusade nonsense.

Ryan waited for the investigation to proceed.

She probably wasn't supposed to be here, any association she'd had with the Silver Jedi had been back when they were an order and not... Whatever they were now. Another order probably, one that had kicked her only real friend one of the last jedi she'd respected out. No she wasn't bitter. She kicked at a clump of the strange grass covering the shattered moon station.

But she knew Ashin and figured she should be here for her, even if she couldn't be in the room. She was pretty sure she did at least, Ashin should have had a few fewer syllables in her last name, Varin? Had it been Varanin all this time? She frowned in consternation as she walked. The early days were all muddled to her now. Who had she helped defend Metalorn for? Was Ashin after him? Domino was pretty sure there had been a line of male emperors up until one of the times she'd retired from or dissolved the Black Suns. She remembered the name fondly at least. Ambivalently maybe.

Coming over a short rise she saw a familiar looking man sitting on a bench and she had to stare a good minute before she could place him. "Cripes! Jorus Merrill you got old!" Immediately she felt bad about such an outburst but she'd been so surprised at his greyed appearance. Lowering her hood to reveal the same face she'd had last he'd seen her, she made her way towards him. "You here for the trial?"
((Can't believe I forgot how to tag people))

Coming over a short rise she saw a familiar looking man sitting on a bench and she had to stare a good minute before she could place him. "Cripes! Jorus Merrill you got old!" Immediately she felt bad about such an outburst but she'd been so surprised at his greyed appearance. Lowering her hood to reveal the same face she'd had last he'd seen her, she made her way towards him. "You here for the trial?"

Jorus squinted at the figure coming through the ghost grass. "Oh feth. Domino Domino ! It's been..."

He tried and failed to figure out how long it had been. He'd bought...space stations from her? Or maybe tankers?

No. Micro-carriers. Two-hundred-metre boats that would let you clamp a couple squadrons to the hull for a jump or three. They'd been groundbreaking — par for the course considering how long she'd spent bumming around in the biggest stealth ship in millennia.

"...very long time. Very very. Here for the trial?"

(Just put @ before the name to tag.)

Jorus Q. Merrill Jorus Q. Merrill
"I am." She admitted, looking for a place to sit before deciding to just take a spot for herself along the stone. "Sorry about the 'old' thing, I'm not used to seeing people from the old days. Part of why I came I suppose, memory lane and all." Idly she wondered how ironic it would be if she was put on trial next and reflected on how she'd never seen the inside of a courtroom despite running a literal empire of crime syndicates. Though afterwards, she mused, she'd run a few ops for the silver Jedi, even taken one of them as a padawan. No, she was still Vigo when she did that. But she'd also done that after giving it up. Perhaps she wasn't high profile enough to be arrested, That suited her just fine.

"How are you getting along? Still making the best maps anyone's ever seen?" She used his astrogation maps on her personal ships to this day. Not only were they the most complete, they usually had tertiary routs none other had.

((okay, had to write a lot more of it in than you used to))

"How are you getting along? Still making the best maps anyone's ever seen?"
Jorus smiled hugely. "Why yes indeed. Here's my card these days." He dug out a hard-copy card with a tasteful little animated holo. The holo froze: he flicked it and it started spinning again. He handed it over to Domino Domino .

6z6nQEO.gif

"Baobab Astrography. I think the last time we did business was around the time I launched Baobab. Just a small operation, a brand name for what I already do you could say."

Felt good to think about something other than the trial. A nice breeze kicked up, rustling the ghost grass against his boots. He shifted on the stone slab, looking for a more comfortable seat.

"What's your business these days?"

Ashin Cardé Varanin

After a while, Ashin got up from her position against the wall and cracked her neck. She moved forward into the middle of the room, the circle of assembled posse members. She turned slowly to look at Valery Noble Valery Noble , Romi Jade Romi Jade , Cale Gunderson Cale Gunderson , Zark San Tekka Zark San Tekka , Wyatt Morga Wyatt Morga , Julius Sedaire Julius Sedaire , Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser , Fen Fen , Allyson Locke Allyson Locke , Travot Ravenna Travot Ravenna , Gir Quee Gir Quee , and Heinrich Faust Heinrich Faust in turn.

"I'd like to propose something," she said, "to give you time to determine whether there's evidence and whether evidence will play a role in your decision, if you're able to come to a joint decision that you can all support. I propose we take a break."

She jangled the chains and various other anti-Forcer technologies meaningfully.

"I'm clearly not going anywhere. I could have escaped at several points since I surrendered. I have no intention of some violent breakout; there's no mob at your door demanding my release; there's no bomb under the floor." These were clear allusions to Darth Carnifex Darth Carnifex 's escape from his own trial, not so long ago.

"With that in mind, I'd also like to request time to communicate with loved ones remotely, supervised as you see fit. I would ask the same about talking with legal counsel, but..."

She trailed off with a sharp, lopsided grin.

"All that to say: a break of some kind, and a chance to speak with my family. Will you allow me that?"

"Of course. You may speak with whatever counsel you see fit."

Master San Tekka raised a golden hand to indicate he was not done. He'd remained silent until now, despite being one of those in attendance old enough to remember hearing of Ashin Cardé Varanin Ashin Cardé Varanin during her reign as Sith Empress.

"We will take into consideration your most generous offer not to kill us all and escape. I would invite you to consider this trial is not about vengeance for the wronged but determining the threat you may still pose to society."

He delivered this pronouncement with typical Jedi humorlessness. Contrasting Ashin's defiant smirk, his expression failed to betray any emotion whatsoever.

"It is clear you hold a low opinion of Jedi teachings," Zark reminded her, "Those same teachings will inform our ultimate judgment. Mock them as you will but do not be so quick to dismiss them."

Last edited:
She took the card and looked it over before turning her face into the breeze as she thought about Jorus Q. Merrill Jorus Q. Merrill question. "Still trying to stabilize and raise parts of the Outer Rim to galactic standards. Mostly by getting them resources they need, raw materials to build, food or medicine to survive." It was idealistic, and hopeful, and had gone practically no-where beyond a few local successes. At least the company itself was doing fairly well most of the time and her employees were cared for.

"Also been considering starting a colony," She admitted. "Somewhere off one of your Baobab lanes where it'll be hidden but not too isolated. A safe place free of danger, past mistakes and politics, an economic haven in the Outer Rim." Domino knew such a place couldn't stay hidden forever, the trick would be to keep the secret long enough to become too well established to change.

He had been silent for the trial. The Jedi Master had had a conversation with the former Empress. She seemed to be as much on the run from the Sith as part of them. The Pomojema was moving between space, with no seeming port of call. It made things… difficult to understand her full approach to the galaxy. But was she waging war on the galaxy at large? It did not seem so. No Sith Empire was rising up around her. As the proposal was aired, Coren nodded.

When the Jedi were able to gather, he looked to then, mostly to one of his long time friends in Zark San Tekka Zark San Tekka .

What he was interested in was the proof of where Ashin had been recently, what her current goals in the galaxy were. He knew she was dark sided, that was obvious. As dark as he was light, he suspected. And misguided, but as Fen Fen was musing, weren't they all, even he, with the Alliance crusade years back.

While he was silent for a moment. "When we reconvene. I do want to discuss what Ashin has been doing. Teaching… I have been doing the same, not dark siders, but light. I am sure the Sith Empire, were it standing, have issues with me. But I do not see Ashin raising these beings to hunt down Jedi. If they do that on their own volition… the Force, as I've learned in the recent years since the fall of Sullust, is varied, and we have many ways to approach it. I choose light, but I am not certain a choice of darkness is grounds for execution."

He was musing aloud, to those who would listen.

Was he softening in his old age? Or did he start adding more to Wisdom as he leveled up?

Ashin Cardé Varanin Ashin Cardé Varanin Wyatt Morga Wyatt Morga

Korr looked at his watch as the psychometry continued.

Ashin was not a world breaking terrorist and this whole trial was looking foolish without any evidence.

Wyatt, Coren,… we cannot continue this without any real evidence. It’s farcical. Offer her freedom in exchange for acting as our informant on the truly evil within the dark side communities. Let her go.

He sent to them telepathically.

Last edited:

Ashin Cardé Varanin

As Jedi Knights led Ashin from the room, she caught the edge of Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser 's early words. She shuffled along under a good twenty pounds of chains and assorted anti-Force gear, and may perhaps have dawdled long enough to catch most of what he said before the door shut.

Apart from the Jedi guards, she was alone with her thoughts in the turbolft. She let out a deep, shaky breath and released the tension from her shoulders. First things first: contact counsel and family as requested, to find out if Spencer was safe. Everything else followed from that.

O tempora, o mores.

-EXIT-​

Coming up upon the trial late, Julius actually looked like a Jedi for once. He figured it needed such. His beard and hair were trimmed, cut, combed and oiled. The robes were pressed and starched. The only marring of the image were the tips of tattooed skin visible at the neck, and his Aing-Tii arm whose fingers drubbed along the butt of a bryar pistol. What he planned to do was insane, but it was worth it. They couldn't weaken the authority they possessed by playing empty games of politics. The Covenant wasn't designed to be such. With an easy smile, he looked at the Knights.

"Lads, I'll see to keepin her safe until it's time to go back in. She's a bit much for the two of ya. Keep on to y'alls Masters and the defendin should anyone try to break her out. "

As the Knights moved, one protested but the other cut in with an insistence on who the man in Green robes was, and both bowed low in assent and returned towards the chambers. As Julius lead the former Empress away, he shook his head and muttered something about justice and right and wrong, then turned to look at her in the deserted halls. They were vaguely near the docking bay. His hand extended, and out from it radiated a beacon in the Force to her. Should she shake and give him her word, he'd know if she actively broke it. They both would feel the effect. It was a similar bond as to what the Aing-Tii had extracted from him long ago.

"I will have your word here, and now... You will cease passing on Sith teachings. Dark Side is fine, if ill liked, but abandon the lies of the Sith. If a new Sith or truly evil Order arises, you will alert me and I will alert the Covenant or whoever bears such onus. In the event I die, my son will contact you. If you die, and do not come back, you are freed of obligation to the Covenant. Refuse my replacement, or this word.. Well.. I will have this word now, or so help me I will behead you and be done with this madness... You have about thirty seconds until those youngins get back and the others get curious. Accept and I can put you in a ship and on your way before a minute passes. Refuse, and I do what the others are too squeamish to do. I will deal with the rest upon your Oath"

His eyes were blue fire, and danger radiated from his aura. Not violence. Not rage. Cold, spiky danger that sparkled clear in it's intent and direction for anyone to feel.

Feth, he was bad at following the rules.

Ashin Cardé Varanin Ashin Cardé Varanin | Wyatt Morga Wyatt Morga | Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser | Fen Fen

Ashin Cardé Varanin

As valuable seconds ticked down, Ashin looked back and forth between the outstretched hand and Julius Sedaire Julius Sedaire 's eyes. The conditions he imposed would hurt, and she got the distinct feeling she'd find them binding.

She shook his hand with a jangle of cuffs.

"Congratulations, Sedaire: you found a clever way forward and had the stones to take it. Get me out of here."

With the touch of hands, the two simply vanished. Folding Space would leave a familiar signature in the force to those like Wyatt Morga Wyatt Morga or Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser who were used to it. And to his aura. Within a split of a second, they were onboard a tramp freighter Julius had brought in as his. With a few movements the cuffs were off, and he pulled his flask to take a swig, and handed the aurodium chase songsteel, a gift from his late wife, to the now freed Ashin Cardé Varanin Ashin Cardé Varanin .

"Compliments of the house. Remember, ya break your word, I will find you and I will murder you. Not slow. Not painfully. In the simplest, most ignoble and forgettable way possible. You'll be left on a rock to drift as space rots you. And I will spend the last of my days hunting down every student and loved one you have to make sure your stain and memory is scrubbed as far out as it can be. Nothing personal, just the ways of war... Understand? Good. Now get to the cockpit, and go."

With a last look, he shook his head and was simply... Gone... Back outside the trial chambers. Nodding to Jorus Q. Merrill Jorus Q. Merrill and Domino Domino as he took suddenly appeared a few feet from them and took a slouch against the wall, he sighed and looked up at the stars as a new one streaked by he hoped.

"There's gonna be a ruckus in a moment. Might not end well, either of you got a smoke or a drink for an old man?"

"Also been considering starting a colony," She admitted. "Somewhere off one of your Baobab lanes where it'll be hidden but not too isolated. A safe place free of danger, past mistakes and politics, an economic haven in the Outer Rim."
"Oh, that's beautiful. Haven't been part of a proper colony effort in a long, long time — and there's plenty of uninhabited worlds and people in need of homes. Love it-"

Jorus broke off as Julius appeared from nowhere. They were outside the Council areas with starlight glowing in the ghost grass: not a bad place to sit and wait.

Not a bad place to colonize either, come to think of it.
"There's gonna be a ruckus in a moment. Might not end well, either of you got a smoke or a drink for an old man?"

"Ruckus?" Jorus dug in his bag and came up with a thermos of somewhat alcoholic caf, which he passed to Julius. "The feth Varanin do in there? Or..."

He blinked.

"Shavvit. You killed her, didn't you. Good — I told Morga to throw her out an airlock and be done with it."

Theme

"She's not Sith. Light and Dark? Different side, same coin. Both need the other to be. Monks taught me that in the Rift. She's free, and bound to me in the Force as spy and operative. Any new Orders spring up, she tells us. She can no longer pass on Sith teachings. Dark yes, Sith no. I bound her soul to me, and if she breaks it... I'll hunt down every drop of her blood and every student and do my best to end her line and teachings."

Taking the caf, he opened it and swigged, sighing as he kept his gaze to the stars, waiting.

"Never was much good at politics and debate. I'll leave that to Wyatt. But when they start wanting to create a reason to convict someone... I get itchy hands. She's dark, but she wasn't guilty of what we arrested her for. So she goes free until she proves otherwise. And if that's the hill they kill me on, so be it... I'm at peace with myself."

Another sip, and he offered the thermos back to his old friend, looking for all the world truly and peace and radiating a sense of calm content. He was his best self when fighting for the underdog that deserved the win. Even if that underdog happened to be Ashin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom