Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Technology Factory Has Been Temporarily Shutdown

Mason Deschart said:
I know. Timing just really sucks.
[member="Ashin Varanin"]
I think the timing is perfect.

People are QQing about the Factory being shut down but they're not looking at the other options to their problems. Since this is a temporary situation, why not go out there and bridge the gap between your company and another in order to meet the requirements to Tier up? [member="Enigma"] might have been joking or not but was stating how he needed the Factory to get bigger in company size, or Tier. Why is growing in Tier and conquest so huge in a writing community is beyond me. This isn't domination, this isn't conquest, this isn't "roll the dice and you defeat the monster!"

This is about writing and creating a story that people will read and want to join in, and invest their time and effort into. Their imagination, ect.

Yes, might wanna have a measuring contest here and there, but seriously...put it back in your pants and toss the measuring stick. It's about creativity, imagination and so forth. Yeah, Factory allowed that but the Factory is not the center of the universe. The writing in the main forums, open, private and such is the center of the universe.

Who really cares about the other stuff.

<_<

[member="Aaralyn Rekali"]
The people who enjoy doing that other stuff because it's fun?

Why is it important? Because it's fun. Why is RP important at all? Why do people RP? To live fantasy lives outside of their own, generally speaking. It's fun to see what kind of life you could create in the Star Wars universe. It's all make believe. Why do people make companies? Maybe because they think it's fun to RP owning a company. Why do games like the Sims and SimCity sell so well? Same reason.

So while you think it's perfect, perhaps because you don't use those forums much if at all, those of us who thoroughly enjoyed using those forums don't find it at all amusing.

There are two sides to every coin. While the tech and ship factories were open, everyone had the opportunity to use them, so you couldn't really complain if someone had some special gear to use against you, because the opportunity was there to make something to fight back against it (It's a game of Chess). Now it's been taken away, and the only ones who really win (aside from the staff members who don't have to spend time judging them) are those who didn't wish to use those forums. Those who want to use them don't get to use them.

Alpha

A

Because a big part of star wars, is war, and economical power on a large scale, it would make sense to want to grow more richer, and powerful ICly, as well as OOCly. Companies help with this, because it is one of the balancing factors to which decides, who has more money and power/influence. Money can not magically pop up, power can not suddenly be earned, this is done by role playing ones company, and role playing ones character.

Mason Deschart said:
The people who enjoy doing that other stuff because it's fun?

Why is it important? Because it's fun. Why is RP important at all? Why do people RP? To live fantasy lives outside of their own, generally speaking. It's fun to see what kind of life you could create in the Star Wars universe. It's all make believe. Why do people make companies? Maybe because they think it's fun to RP owning a company. Why do games like the Sims and SimCity sell so well? Same reason.

So while you think it's perfect, perhaps because you don't use those forums much if at all, those of us who thoroughly enjoyed using those forums don't find it at all amusing.

There are two sides to every coin. While the tech and ship factories were open, everyone had the opportunity to use them, so you couldn't really complain if someone had some special gear to use against you, because the opportunity was there to make something to fight back against it (It's a game of Chess). Now it's been taken away, and the only ones who really win (aside from the staff members who don't have to spend time judging them) are those who didn't wish to use those forums. Those who want to use them don't get to use them.

Alpha said:

Because a big part of star wars, is war, and economical power on a large scale, it would make sense to want to grow more richer, and powerful ICly, as well as OOCly. Companies help with this, because it is one of the balancing factors to which decides, who has more money and power/influence. Money can not magically pop up, power can not suddenly be earned, this is done by role playing ones company, and role playing ones character.

Melakoth Tyrin said:
Nobody has so far provided any reason why a temporary shutdown serves any purpose.
Because of these reasons here.

Focus is solely put on the Factory and driving the "war machine" through creation of objects that exist, and even mundane creations as opposed to actually driving it with stories.

In Umbris Potestas Est
Aaralyn Rekali said:
Enigma might have been joking or not but was stating how he needed the Factory to get bigger in company size, or Tier. Why is growing in Tier and conquest so huge in a writing community is beyond me. This isn't domination, this isn't conquest, this isn't "roll the dice and you defeat the monster!"
I wasn't joking. I have been told by staff that I need a dev thread for my tibanna substitute so my "project" thread for tier promotion can count. And if "growing in Tier" and "conquest" isn't huge, explain to me why people will resort to any means to cause other RPers trouble regarding affairs between corporations and factions? Domination is real. Conquest is real. And if you don't get big, you will be swallowed.

Solely, you say? I beg to differ. There is much plotting that's going on behind the scenes for things. Also, a lot of people do drive things with stories, hence Dev threads. I think you just don't like that people like to make things just as much as they like to RP. I fancy both. When I first started RPing in 2001, submitting ship designs was commonplace. Then it went away and I kept on RPing and people just used what was on Wookie. Only problem with that? Ships on Wookie are outdated per SWRP's timeline. We'd be using hunks of junk all the time. Oldschool tech, too. Some of us like new toys.

Enigma said:
I wasn't joking. I have been told by staff that I need a dev thread for my tibanna substitute so my "project" thread for tier promotion can count. And if "growing in Tier" and "conquest" isn't huge, explain to me why people will resort to any means to cause other RPers trouble regarding affairs between corporations and factions? Domination is real. Conquest is real. And if you don't get big, you will be swallowed.
I know nothing of this, therefore, I cannot speak on it.

[member="Mason Deschart"]

Solely, you say? I beg to differ. There is much plotting that's going on behind the scenes for things. Also, a lot of people do drive things with stories, hence Dev threads. I think you just don't like that people like to make things just as much as they like to RP. I fancy both. When I first started RPing in 2001, submitting ship designs was commonplace. Then it went away and I kept on RPing and people just used what was on Wookie. Only problem with that? Ships on Wookie are outdated per SWRP's timeline. We'd be using hunks of junk all the time. Oldschool tech, too. Some of us like new toys.
There are plenty of new toys for you to browse around with right now. You don't have to have the latest, greatest, something fresh out of the box this very second!

It is what it is.

I think beyond breaking people of Factory, I think it will make people appreciate it more.

That being said, I go to actually write! :)

[member="Mason Deschart"]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said.

Also, [member="Aaralyn Rekali"], if you are arguing that people need to stop using the factory, why is it being temporarily shut down? Things will only go back to normal afterwards.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
I knew a guy once. We were sitting on an airplane just about to take off. The stewardess pipes up and tells the whole plane that we are one of the first aircraft to feature high-speed internet whilest flying. Just connect your device and enjoy it throughout the flight. It was amazing! It was brand new! And we all had the opportunity to be some of the first people to enjoy it.

Ten minutes into the flight and the internet goes down. I'm watching Youtube when my video shutters to a stop. The stewardess announces there is a problem with the electronics and that the internet will be down for the remainder of the flight.

The guy next to me curses her. "What a crappy airline," He says, "Can't even keep the internet working for ten minutes. What a joke."

I'm baffled and amazed at his response! How can anyone curse a revolutionary new feature that they didn't even know existed ten minutes ago!? Let alone got to be one of the first passengers to test and enjoy. He was looking at cars for god's sake. Wasn't even doing anything important. But he still felt the need to curse the airlines for failing to maintain his euphoria. He still felt the need to curse the stewardess and pout for the rest of the flight. Ignoring that he's flying. Through the air. Like a bird. Enjoying the cutting edge of technology and comfort in a modern age of science.

Don't be that guy. Please people. Don't be that guy.

The in-flight internet will be back on later. And we'll all be landing in Vegas together in less than an hour. Don't curse the Staff, the stewardess, or the airline for bumping your 1st world elbow. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Cheers :D

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Coming from perhaps one of the most noteworthy users of the Factory; some of you guys are entirely overdramatizing the situation now. It doesn't hurt anyone. It certainly isn't hurting any of my companies. In fact, I suspect it will help them, as people now have more incentive to go through the Marketplace and actually buy stuff.

You're not gonna die because the Factory went down. Your faction isn't going to die. Your company isn't going to die.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Okay, so that last post of mine was wayyy to mature to be a JSC comment. Let's try this again...

tumblr_n6ocb2YjSu1qbysf3o1_250.gif
tumblr_n6ocb2YjSu1qbysf3o2_250.gif

*much better

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Mason Deschart said:
According to the SWRP timeline, the 400 YD actually caused things to revert to a mostly pre-era state. Your argument is invalid. Your ships, however, are not.

I understand that the factory is really important to some people, and a sort of necessity for others, but it's only gone for a short while, probably for the same reason as the ship stuff. A lot of people are really over reacting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom