Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Of Thrones Finale

TheFalseRoman

Proud father of 3 sub-accounts
ABSOLUTELY DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU PLAN ON WATCHING THE FINALE YOURSELF
I'd like to preface this with the fact that I really do love GoT. I think it was an incredible show and top marks to the cast and crew for visualising such a fantastic world.

That being said, for me the ending of Game Of Thrones wasn't satisfying. The death of Dany was justified, but Jon going back to the Night's Watch is incredibly stupid. Considering he is the true heir, he should've taken the throne. Moving past that, Bran becoming king makes very little sense when you take into account that the Three-Eyed Raven isn't supposed to lead the people of Westeros. Why take the most consistently disliked character and make them the overall hero? It's a sure-fire way to anger fans. Sansa and Arya going their separate ways was understandable if a bit predictable. I think everyone knew that Sansa would become Queen in the North, and that Arya wouldn't stick around to be a Lady. Everything with Tyrion seemed pointless, considering he's locked up and striped of his position only to be freed and given the position again 30 minutes later. The Unsullied leaving seems foolish, surely Grey Worm wouldn't depart Westeros so quickly after all that has happened, especially since they are effectively the only military in the 6 kingdoms.

I know this is very rambly, and that a lot of people will disagree. I'm not saying that there weren't high points of the episode. Despite Tyrion's scenes being useless, they were so well acted, probably the best acted scenes of the episode. Podrik becoming a knight was great, and Drogon is always awesome to watch.

To me, the whole episode seemed to flip-flop between scenes, rushing to a conclusion that left a bad taste in the mouth, and made me feel disappointed as the credits rolled. But I open this to you guys, what do you think of the finale episode? Was it satisfying? What could have been improved? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
There was a rumor that to prevent the ending from leaking they filmed several endings/alternate scenes and you can sort of see where those might have happened. I didn't expect to like all parts of it but one key thing was. Jon never wanted it, he might have been a Targaryan but he had the stubborn nature of the starks and I think much like Ned.... there was little that could or would change his mind to actually take the throne. Even Ned wouldn't claim the throne, he considered Joffrey false... was only claimng it so he could give it to Stannis or Roberts true heir. Neither would have ever betrayed their king/queen by trying to take the throne but removing someone who was dangerous or not fit for it.

The unsullied well in a way it makes sense... while they are "freed" they were mostly trained to serve and Greyworm their appointed leader. I imagine if Missandei hadn't been killed and she had been given the chance to return home to Naath. If he had gone they would have followed anyways. Still I liked this part but knowing how dangerous Naath can be from the books can imagine them all sailing to their doom.

The dragonpit scene is where I think the if true different endings would and could have taken place. Once they were debating and choosing. Bran as the three eyed raven becoming king ehhh it could happen. He was taught by blood raven who was poliical and he was a safe choice few could object to. The best objection might be he is a stark and sansa is a stark. Jon returning to the wall was something that he might have just wanted in the end. One ofhis best friends is there, a love of his life is from the true north and it keeps someone from tring to use his parents to try and overthrow Bran.

I liked it enough, I imagine like the books won't get everything I want or would enjoy but a decent enough ending.

Jamie getting his deeds written by Brienne with the line for his death was nice. Sam naming the tale was also a fun thing to see. Bronn is the only one I think in theend really got everything he wanted.

I agree with you on most of this. However, couple points:

a. It was not uncommon for a noble to find disfavor with one ruler, find himself imprisoned and then perhaps a year or so later, re-emerge from his cell with his lands, fortunes, name, and offices restored following a change of authority. The English Civil War is a great example of this: Cromwell's Roundheads imprisoned many nobles for their real or imagined support of the Royalist side. When the Protectorate fell and the Stuarts were restored, so too were those nobles (the ones who survived to see it) by royal decree. Fortunes of fate in Royal Courts were not uncommonly fickle, Louis XIV at Verseilles comes to mind as another example. At different times, many of his nobles crossed him and did time in the dungeons, only to be restored months later when they were again needed at court, or someone else plead their case and begged Louis to let them out. Tyrion's arrest and restoration to the office of Hand to the King doesn't surprise me. However, both his and Jon's survival did. Grey Worm was a vendetta-driven killing machine in Ep. 5, and a confrontation between his blind loyalty to his Queen and Jon's idealism and humanity has been coming since Grey Worm broke ranks and led the Unsullied and Dothraki on a killing spree last week. How is it, upon learning that Jon killed his beloved Queen and liberator, Jon survives long enough for the ENTIRE STARK CLAN and every major Lord in Westeros to come to King's Landing for the council. Winterfell to King's Landing is almost two months' journey by land, and three weeks by sea. Sansa came with more men too, prepared to challenge Dany. You really want us all to believe that an army of freed slaves and barbarians wouldn't be wearing his skin as a bonnet by now?

b. Okay, Dany's original Unsullied numbered 5,000. Attrition, even the modest kind, had brought that to roughly 2,000 when they came to Westeros. This was mentioned when Jorah and Daario both acknowledged that her assumption of rule over 100,000 Dothraki fighters was a welcome change of fortunes. Following the campaign against the Lannisters, where Dany's forces were still reduced with every engagement, she should have had maybe 80% of that remaining. So 1,600 Unsullied and 80,000 Dothraki. Following the Battle of Winterfell, where we see most of the Dothraki eliminated in the first (incredibly asinine) charge at the Night King's army, we could be conservative and say that two-thirds (60%) was lost there. Given Viserion's cold fire barrages, these numbers now stand closer to 900-1000 Unsullied and maybe 30-32,000 Dothraki left. Where in the Faith of the Seven did she magically get legions of Unsullied? They were obviously the MAJORITY of her forces and looked pretty fresh to me. Their leaving, well, with their Queen dead, Grey Worm as their leader, was questionable. Not out of loyalty to the King though. Because they have none. None. Zip. Zero. None. They followed "Mhysa" by choice. They owed her no positional duty beyond personal loyalty. That doesn't translate over to some creepy white kid in a wheelchair they met six months ago, and certainly not because a bunch of other white people (some of whom they never met) say it does. By honest reckoning, given the assumed size of their army, Grey Worm being their leader - everyone heard it - and the losses inflicted among the 7 Kingdoms, if they want, they rule. Period. A professional, disciplined army with absolutely zero ties or loyalties to these foreign lands, stands larger and more prepared to hold power than anyone else. Even a unified attempt to repel them would be tough. So no, the murderous, vindictive, and rudderless Eunuch isn't going to sail away peacefully to settle on some island paradise in honor of his now shorter ex-girlfriend. This was recorded by some Maester as the "Whitening of Westeros' I'm sure, and it does leave a bad taste.

c. Tyrion's ending up as Hand is fitting. So too is the fates of Brienne, Podrick, Davos, Sam, and Bronn. But the Small Council needs: A Master of Ships, A Master of Coin, A Master of Whispers, A Master of Laws, A Grand-Maester, A Captain of the Kingsguard. So that works out, given Bran's statement of vacancies. So, in effect, no real change to the apparatus of government whatsoever has happened. The naming of Bran however, that makes NO sense. He shouldn't be interested in worldly affairs, as the Three-Eyed Raven, as you say, isn't meant to rule, he's meant to know and watch. Bran should have been the one to go north, back to the Raven's 'perch' at the top of the world.

d. Gendry actually made the best choice, given the scenario D & D created here. A legitimized bastard, he is - by albeit brief but entirely accepted royal decree - now the lawful son of King Robert Baratheon, making him a claimant to the throne...remember Robert's family's right was only in question for the 13 minutes and 30 seconds Dany was actually Queen. Gendry had clear right and claim. Being a Lord Paramount of the Stormlands, Lord of Storm's End, and heir to the Baratheon House, he also inherits Stannis', Renly's, and Robert's claims. His legitimacy was arguably endorsed by Dany herself. He is fit, can have an heir, native-born, and has zero history of offending anyone. No one would question the choice to put a virile, handsome, and healthy young prince on the throne, particularly when you look at it from every angle he is the most practical choice. But they choose a cripple, whose family has now rebelled against four of the last five monarchs, waged war across half the country and against most of the Lords-Paramount at some point or another, who has no claim, no chance for heirs, nothing.

e. Arya's leaving makes sense. Northern Independence does not. If Bran the Broken is gonna be king, he is a STARK. Last male heir of Ned Stark. Lord of Winterfell. How many times have they reiterated this this season? If Jon frankly is NOT a Stark is now common knowledge, as Varys predicted, then Bran is rightfully the King In the North. Period. Lady Sansa would remain Lady of Winterfell and Lord-Paramount of the North with his ascension to king, but the North would be swearing to a Northern king, a Stark king, and still have a Stark at Winterfell to speak for them. They haven't been this secure in their identity and assertion in 300 years. Why leave now? Because Sansa wants a tiara. Period.

f. Night's Watch -- watching what exactly? A group of exiles, bastards, and second-chancers form a small army loyal to no one kingdom, dedicated to the protection of Westeros and all 7 Kingdoms evenly. Um, the wall fell...in part. Eastwatch-by-the-Sea is GONE, along with about a quarter mile of wall. The Wildlings are friends now, and Tormund is their leader, making their loyalty and peaceful coexistence pretty likely. The Wildlings were not north of the wall by choice originally. They did not WANT to be there, hence Mance Rayder's entire soapbox to unite them. They wanted to go south due to the Night King's coming. Well, he's gone now. Nothing to guard against, no impetus for invasion, no desire to keep the Wildlings out and no reason they would stay out. The Night's Watch is an utter waste of manpower for a Kingdom in shambles, with every major military decimated. What makes sense is making them stay in King's Landing, protecting the realms of men by serving to ensure and maintain justice across Westeros, protecting it from invasion, and restoring order. But no, let's just send people to do nothing, in the least needed and most useless place we can find. It is a missed opportunity and one which - with Grey Worm and the boys sailing off - is sorely needed. Bonus point: Grey Worm is gone...why is Jon still in the North? Worm's not coming back, ever. Jon being brought back out of exile to live quietly among his family at Winterfell makes sense.

Okay...done...it was a hurried, poorly developed (character and plot) season that was rushed to find the most fast, easy, and direct way to resolve open storylines, distract you with epic FX and battles, a few quick tugs at heart strings, and then be done. 7 seasons of finely-crafted, complex, rich storytelling wiped out in 6 episodes of garbage TV. What exactly did Hodor hold the door for?

​I have cared less and less as this season has gone on, some moments that I thought would've hit me didn't. Some that shouldn't have, did.

​For example, Jon murdering Dany. I felt as though I'd just lost someone as well, Dany has been a character I've grown up with throughout my teenage years and just as I turn 20, she's gone. But, was I sad because she was dead? Possibly. But what I know for sure is that, a lot of the sadness came from the fact I felt nothing. They rushed and broke the character, and I was feeling a sense of 'lets just get this mess over with' when the episode began.

​It hurt to truly realise my favourite show had possibly one of the worst written final acts I've seen. And for sure, one of the most disappointing endings [Season 8] in cinematic history.

​I wish I was one of the people that just didn't think beyond the basics and could still love it. But, it was stupid and rushed.
​Can't wait for David and Dan to write subpar tropey nonsense and leave starbucks cups in the Jedi Temple.

Parts of the final season were frustrating, mostly the battle tactics employed by the characters, but ultimately the finale satisfied me.

Destroying the throne, abolishing the hereditary monarchy in favor of an elective monarchy, and King Brandon of the House Stark, the First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Six Kingdoms, Protector of the Realm, and the Three-Eyed Raven being the one to take up the mantle were all incredibly satisfying to me.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Hated it.

The Bad
  • Night King goes poof and too many characters survived the undead. -1
  • Jamie runs after his sister. -1
  • Cerci dies crying like a baby in a rockslide. -1
  • Dani goes mad. -1
  • Drogon survives. -1
  • Bran is suddenly picked as High King. -1
  • Sansa takes the North independent? -1
  • Arya sails into the sunset. -1
  • Jon and a bunch of refugees go north of the wall because no reason? -1

The Good
  • Dragons dying
  • Direwolfs living
  • Arya
  • CleganeBowl
  • It's finally over

unknown.png
So I heard The "Birdman" Koko B. Ware became the Game of Thrones World Champion.​

Seguidor Oculto de la Verdad
The Final Season of GoT sucked because D&D are rushing off to lead the new Star Wars Trilogy about the Old Republic and they just wanted to move on after their Confederate Idea got sacked because of social media. No reason to make it the two seasons like HBO offered them. No they just wanted to quit and go down on their ship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom