Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stellaris - Releases 5/9

Kana Truden said:
[member="Soeht"]

I'd love that! I think I saw talk at the Paradox Forums about something similar as well, wonder what will come of that.
I think it's inevitable that one gets made - it seems natural with hyperlanes a standard part of the game.

I think the biggest issue would be how easy it is to make a static map. Previous Paradox Games have always been static maps, so it's easy to make one of a different world. Yet Stellaris is all randomized - so native support for a pre-defined map may not be a thing and would have to be modded in.

Beyond that, a lot of the key mechanics are already there for a Star Wars port. You got custom events, pops to simulate many different species, ships that just need to have their models/sfx replaced (many low-poly ones could probably be ported from GAW), federations to create the Galactic Republic, etc. If it's just as easy to mod Stellaris as other games, the gameplay is easy to mod. Hardest part beyond that would be artwork/animation.

EDIT: Gree hypergates would even take the place of wormholes for some interesting events.

I will be interested on seeing your views after about 25 hours into the game. That’s where I feel the shine wears off.

There is a Star Wars mod well under way at the Paradox forums. They’re wisely starting off small before jumping into a full Clone Wars mod.

Bunker-level Normal
[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Yeah, the early game seems the most interesting, once the game turns into established borders, the weaknesses of Paradox games comes back into play. Diplomacy is not transparent (how do I get someone to like me more? What can I do besides declaring war or hitting Speed Up?) and the options that are there are minimal.

Captain Jordan said:
[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Yeah, the early game seems the most interesting, once the game turns into established borders, the weaknesses of Paradox games comes back into play. Diplomacy is not transparent (how do I get someone to like me more? What can I do besides declaring war or hitting Speed Up?) and the options that are there are minimal.
Very perceptive, yes.

The great trap is that once you get battleships around year 40-70 (depending on your tech speed) you've pretty much won the game as the AI will never match you. Only the Fallen Empires remain a true threat.

Bunker-level Normal
Valiens Nantaris said:
Only the Fallen Empires remain a true threat.
And you. I have to say, one thing I admire is the way that pops shift and change ethos. I had one planet where Humans genetically modified themselves and called themselves Neo-Humans, which then devolved into sectarian violence. The Neo-Humans got themselves elected as ruler and did lots of damage.

There's little in the way of forced events like this, but a good roleplayer can let some factions wreak havoc and add a bit of challenge to the game. But, I agree, if you get too far too fast, you're so far ahead that it doesn't matter. There's definitely some balance tweaks needed, and they'll come in the form of patches and DLC eventually, never fear.

The question is whether the base game has enough of a framework to support a distinct and entertaining entrance to the 4X/GSG hybrid space market. It's been a long time since Sword of the Stars (2 doesn't count), Sins of a Solar Empire, and Distant Worlds is pretty fugly and clunky. There are other games, like Aurora, but they're half-baked or spreadsheet games. Or like MOO:Redux, but that feels like a simplified remake cash grab more than a good game. Maybe Stellaris will be the breakout star of the 2010s, I guess we'll see.

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
I absolutely LOVE Distant Worlds and consider it the reigning king of the genre for this age (having risen following the abdication of MoO2) in spite of its flaws and somewhat boring late game.

It is fugly, though. But anyway i look forward to comparing Stellaris to it whenever i get the chance to play it.

I dont know that theres anything else that does compare. SoaSE is great but just an RTS at its core. SotS2 is the fucking poster child of wasted potential, Endless Space is is a bit too formulaic and GalCiv 3 is just painfully generic and uninspired.

But even Distant Worlds didnt start off on top, it took an xpac to iron out the kinks and another one to make it shine. I expect much the same from Stellaris, especially given Paradox's track record with adding gameplay elements in overpriced dlc xpacs.

tumblr_n5ze12Ti721sjmdvko1_500.gif
Good bye [member="Kaili Talith"]

LOLOL I looked at some videos it seems really really interesting, never played a game like it before.

So one random thing I've noticed in my first play through is that positive food production is useless once all of a planet's tiles are full. Once a planet is fully populated, food production could be reduced in favor of energy/minerals/research.

Bunker-level Normal
[member="Soeht"]

I also noticed that there's no real interplanetary economy. Just planet level and empire level. Hopefully something that a DLC will resolve, because that makes it kind of painful to set up research planets or mining planets, they all have to have food sources. Or robots.

Captain Jordan said:
[member="Soeht"]

I also noticed that there's no real interplanetary economy. Just planet level and empire level. Hopefully something that a DLC will resolve, because that makes it kind of painful to set up research planets or mining planets, they all have to have food sources. Or robots.
Something like that is really needed. Sometimes I'd rather just send one strategic resource needed at a sector instead of the entire colonized system that it sits in.

From what I'm reading from r/stellaris, this definitely seems to have been designed more as a multiplayer game.

[member="Soeht"]
Yes, there is no food trading. You could have a Gaia world with 20 surplus food in the same system as another planet and it'd make no difference.
Once your tiles are full you decrease the food and reuse those tiles. It's somewhat silly that there's no regular trade.

It does mean you can't have agri-worlds supplying your empire so you can have a research world without, which is somewhat annoying.

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
I find myself missing some of the automation from Distant Worlds. Like transporting slaves across your empire without having to micromanage it and pay 50 goddamn influence for each pop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom