Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Wars Chaos THE REVIEW

A Star Wars Chaos Review

THIS SITE IS... A lot of something. Hello my name is Cable and I'm here to give you my thoughts opinions. Now I remind you these are my own thoughts and opinions. There's going to be a lot good and a lot of bad. So here we go

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away

STAR WARS CHAOS: The Review

If you are looking for traditional Star Wars role play I am going to tell you now, get out. This place is not for you, because there are things here so ass backwards to the Star Wars canon you would shit, literally shit in pure anger. But let's start at the beginning here and arguably the most important thing for any story the lore and set up of the current universe.

LORE

When I first heard star wars chaos was set eight hundred years in the future after a crippling virus that had all but killed well let's just say a butt ton of people I was expecting the site to have more of a mad max post apocalypse scene to it and generally have this more survive with all odds against you feel to it. But I was wrong when I looked into it, it turns out everyone is fine! In fact things are better than ever. I don't think there is any damage or even the slightest mention of the virus that killed so many in the current roleplays of the site. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing I just feel as if the site could exist in the current canon universe. However I do see how this opens up the door for unlimited possibilities for the universe and I have to say from what I've seen it's actually not half bad. But for the most part the lore and history of the site is actually pretty firm. It's just that when I write I don't feel all that different then say writing another Star Wars RP on another site. But that also makes me want to talk about the writers on this site

THE COMMUNITY

When I look at the people who write here I see a bunch of great people who want to bring their own flavor and story to the Star Wars universe. But sadly this site is not without that which follows all sites I'm of course talking about the big D, drama. We are all people, we all have emotions and feelings and attachments to our characters and people that we write. Sometimes to the point of ooc altercation when confronted about an action taken. But I'm going to say something that probably isn't the best thing. A lot of the people here makes the entire community look like a cesspool. But that also does not include the people who constantly get at you to join their faction which will be covered later. No don't get me wrong, I have had fun writing with amazing people on here in the short time I've been here understanding and gathering information to formulate an opinion about this site. And a lot of the time I see people complaining why their ultra powered light saber Death Star got denied because it was "OP" there are great wonderful writers that I have seen here that have me sitting on the edge of my seat when I read their threads. A person called [member="Ashin Varanin"] I love their threads, period. And these writers I can pick out between which ones are mature and well rounded and a lot of the others who are just kind of butts. But a good majority of the time I see people just posting gifs and memes and generally having a ball. Liking posts and what not, but that also makes me wonder what the point of the like system was? Like did the developer just say "hey guys let's have a like system?" And everyone else was like "mmmnn yeah ok." I personally don't understand it but it doesn't really do anything so it's just there. But then that brings out the dreaded -gasps- Like whores, yes those people on Facebook who like everything they see, I'm sure they are here too. Yes we know you like the way birthday cake tastes and guardians of the galaxy, stahp. But enough of that let's talk about the core element that keeps this puppy relevant

THE ROLE PLAY

FACTION FACTIONS FACTIONS, you see that? Capital letters makes everything more intense, this site is for the most part all about the never ending power struggle between factions and that's where most if not all of the drama comes from. The moment I arrived here put up my character sheet and made a LFG post on what ideas I generally had for my character and share I wanted him to go. I was immediately leg humped by a few people saying to join this faction or join that faction, causing me to believe that organizations carry the main plot of the story that is this website. So I look at the boards and various factions who by the way really piss me off at times. But I look and I see all these cool threads like invasions, dominions, duels and I'm thinking "how cool is that? Entire organizations that are player controlled and fight with one another." But sadly that taste quickly went sour. As I looked into them I began to quickly realize that what was happening really was not the core essence of roleplay. It felt like it was a game of Risk played between really spiteful people and that if you weren't part of a faction you were left out completely. There are really broken aspects to that system, for instance if you were to make a force user you have to start out as a padawan level. Now I'm not against working your way up from the bottom but unless you join a faction the chances are you won't find a person to train you unless someone goes out of their way to train you up to knight. But furthering my research I found that ti become a master you need to be a part of a faction that votes you up to master. Then that goes down the line to judges who then approve it or something. But that system just seems like it caters to factions and leaves no advancement for people who want to be without a faction thus feeding into the sites struggle of faction drama pulling these people into them for advancement of power with their force user. But speaking of force users and drawing back into something that really irks me so prepare for

ANGRY RANT MODE

Ok so factions as we are on it. WHAT IN THE ACTUAL KARK PEOPLE?! Ok so get this, there are Jedi and there are sith factions and the Jedi and sith factions are currently fighting one another as they should be! But if you look over here just J Chillin there are two other factions wait no three other factions with both Jedi and Sith working TOGETHER!! The lords of the fringe, the CIS or ASA whatever they are called and the Moross Crusade. So let me get this straight, if Sith and Jedi groups are fighting each other over here, and Sith and Jedi are just singing in harmony over here completely cool with each other then why are the ones over there fighting if the ones over there are cool with each other?! WHAT THE CRAP?! I mean doesn't that just defeat the purpose of light and dark if they can get along? Someone call me and explain because I can't do it for the life of me!

END ANGRY RANT AND BACK TO THE REVIEW ABOUT ROLEPLAY

So now that that's over. Factions seem to govern the site, but that's not necessarily a bad thing if that was the only thing the site was shooting for. Some of those invasion threads. EPIC!! ABSOLUTELY EPIC AND NAIL BITING!! They are fun to read and go through but a lot of the time are filled with drama of some kind. As for other roleplays there are good public threads where you can hop in after a long day of work and get a post or two out a day. So the site can cater to both high pace speed role players and the more slow writers who have day jobs. But if you are one of the slow writers I recommend you find a small group of writers who can get with the program you are on because you will get swallowed up very quickly and get lost in the factions game. For the most part the site has good fun decent role players but those can be ruined by people and writers who are not the most experienced or are generally pricks. If you have a good group of friends and you want to slowly add more to it as time goes by this is a great site to do it!

THE MECHANICS

I quite literally have no complaints about this, the site functions and runs like a dream. Sub accounts and writer accounts are very easy to manage and learn about. You don't have a set limit for all you role players who don't have main character syndrome and want to stick with one character. Everything is streamlined and super easy to use and learn about and if you ever need help with something just ask! Someone will always help you with your question making the sites mechanics absolutely amazing and user friendly. But it's amazing how they can add all these other unique features to their site while maintaining the easy to use streamlined platform

ADDED FEATURES

Do you want a lightsaber blaster laser pike tea set? Well you can have it! It's yours! As long as you can get it approved in the factory or codex. I LOVE THIS! You can create everything from your own armor to a company that sells products and stuff to just about anything your imagination can give you! Make your own planet? Sure we got it! Can I make my own species? Why not?! Can I make my own corporation and become a corrupt politician?! Of course, now go turn off power to an orphanage you sick bastard! -insert audible squee here- but this also can be a bad thing, with all this customization and building it only strengthens your connection to it and what you have worked so hard to get. Sometimes it becomes more than just words on a screen, it becomes a part of you and letting go of that part for the sake of a story. It can be really hard. There are so many possibilities here and so many great works of writing that I've seen it almost brings a tear to my eye. There is a lot of great potential in story here but sometimes people need to learn to just let it go. Life is too short to be attached and hold on to grudges and fictional places. But let's move on shall we and rap this up.

THE STAFF

From what I've seen the staff seem pretty cool, I've heard a rumor here and there about oppression and things like that but when I take a step back I see people just being people. And while I've read threads where staff politely tell people to F off we still need to realize that they are people as well. That they have feelings and thoughts of their own. Yes I'm sure they are less strict on people who our their friends for or in the "It" crowd but they are people non the less and well you shouldn't be afraid to call them out on BS if you spot it. But from what I've seen on being here they are professional, you can have fun with them, and you can be their friend. Carry on you guys

FINISHING UP

The site is far far far from perfect, there are a overwhelming amount of bad things here that make me cringe at times. But there's so much good as well, there are more than glimmers of light in the darkness of bad there is a wall of good here. From amazing writers and plots to people. People have made this universe! Star Wars was the foundation now it's just something far from Star Wars something that you need to decide is better or worse! I like it, it's fun to see a refreshing take on the series and see all of the legend be canon here. But this is a site I can not label as good or bad. In my personal opinion it's a solid 3.5 out of 5 and I enjoy it. But I highly urge you if you are a person scrolling through this review trying to figure out if this place is good or not. Try it for yourself and see because that's the only way you will find out. This is Cable Smith saying to the Star Wars Chaos Comminity, you keep doing you.

3.5/5
If you disagree with me in anyway leave comment and call me mean names so I can cry myself to sleep tonight!

The faction thing, about the sith and jedi getting along, I think you're a bit misinformed on. Dark Jedi and Jedi are two different groups, the Dark Jedi are the exiled Jedi who have fallen to the dark side, and do not follow the Sith or the Jedi code. Silver & Gray Jedi are more or less not Jedi, just that they basically copy the Jedi's teachings but without the code - while also teaching some dark side skills. I think the confusion you're having is somewhere within the faction types, being dark or light or family factions, and that's a common thing for some. Dark side factions just mean you lean to the dark side of the force, which is not the Sith or any one single group. Light siders are anyone who use the light side of the force. There are plenty of people whom use both, not that I think using both would be either mine or Silara's thing, but that doesn't mean Sith and Jedi are at harmony anywhere.

If you've seen me posting with Jedi, however, please understand that I'm an actual Sith and it is my nature to pretend to be good to trick others and either make them fall or succeed in some plan to destroy the republic.

Cable Smith said:
But furthering my research I found that ti become a master you need to be a part of a faction that votes you up to master. Then that goes down the line to judges who then approve it or something. But that system just seems like it caters to factions and leaves no advancement for people who want to be without a faction thus feeding into the sites struggle of faction drama pulling these people into them for advancement of power with their force user.
[member="Cable Smith"] - http://starwarsrp.net/page/articles.html/_/role-play-rules/ranks-promotion-r13

2. Knight to Master
  • When a Knight's Master feels the Knight is ready for promotion to Master, he/she submits the Knight's name for promotion to his/her Faction's Force-User Masters for approval.
  • The Faction's Force-User Masters vote and decide on whether or not the Knight is to be promoted to Master. Majority rules the vote, but in the event of a tie, the Faction Administrators are required to make the final decision.
  • If the vote succeeds, the Knight's name is then submitted to the Role-Play Judges to be voted on and ultimately decided whether or not the Knight will be promoted to Master.
  • If the Role-Play Judge's successfully vote that the Knight be promoted, a Board Admin will inform the Knight and promote him/her.
*In the case that no Force User Master is available, any Faction Administrator/Role-play Judge may represent the Knight as his/her Out of Character Master for promotion purposes.

Thurion Heavenshield said:
*In the case that no Force User Master is available, any Faction Administrator/Role-play Judge may represent the Knight as his/her Out of Character Master for promotion purposes.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Cable Smith said:
Sempai [member="Jay Scott Clark"] has noticed me :D
tumblr_lzepqdM19F1rpwzpwo1_250.gif

There are definitely arguing points I have with this, but in the long run are nothing against the message you speak of friend! Besides, most of those such topics have been dealt with accordingly.

[member="Cable Smith"]

OK, I'm just going to go through and give my version and reply to your review. This isn't official by any means, just my interpretation.

First of all, thanks for taking the time to compile your thoughts.

LORE:
Early RPs in the first 3-4 months very much featured the aftermath of the plague. However, time has moved on, both IC and OOC. If we were doing this realistically then yes, we'd still be dealing with restoring infrastructure and other things. However, that's not what we wanted. We set this 800 years in the future so there could be no cross over from canon in any form, and to create a new beginning. Such a thing has happened twice in Legends canon, so it's not a new thing.

COMMUNITY:
The like system was a conscious introduction. Your point is noted, but it is a way for people to show their appreciation of something. That system does not exist in most forums, and I think that the 'Like Whores' are fairly limited here. Sure, there are some people who do it, but overall it works remarkably well. On another note, the reason there is no 'Dislike' system is that whilst Likes don't cause much in the way of acrimony, dislikes certainly do.
As a person who has been on dozens of web forums, for such a large group they are remarkably well behaved. Only two people have ever been permanently banned from here. Two out of the 1200 or so writers. That's pretty impressive. And of course, when you get that many people together, some of them are bound to annoy you or be jerks. Fact of life, but we manage them well I feel.

RPING:
As already noted, you can me made master without a faction in the way the rules outline. You can even become a knight without a master. But starting as a Padawan is absolutely vital. We make it very easy to get to Master compared to other boards, where there are absurd restrictions of OOC time and post lengths. By starting everyone as a Padawan we make people earn their stripes, and that's not a bad thing at all.
Let me give you some context here though. The site a good third of us came from had a ridiculous system where each 'faction' held 1-2 planets and there was very little going on. We wanted to add in a quality of the WARS in Star Wars. Thus the invasion and dominion system. Now I've got problems with the Invasion system, but it's what people like, and in this case the majority gets what it wants.
Factions meanwhile are not compulsory. They are the most visible part of the system but they're not the only part. You don't have to be part of a faction even to be a Force user, as noted.

RANT MODE SECTION:
I think you fundamentally mistake the nature of the ASA, Fringe and Moross. Those are not Jedi as in Republic Jedi. Those are rogues, dark Jedi or neutrals. Those that claim to be Jedi are still exiles from the mainstream. Besides, I actually prefer a shades of grey approach here. After all, power politics dictates much more than ideology does.

END RANT SECTION:
That's why a lot of people prefer doing private RPs with friends. There is no compulsion to be in public threads, invasions or anything else.

MECHANICS:
Thank you.

FEATURES:
Thank you.

STAFF:
Rumours that we are people too are spreading rapidly. We must suppress this.

WRAP UP:
What would you have us do differently? To be honest, RP sites are only as good as the writers, and this site has both good writers and means of controlling bad ones. If you have any suggestions we'd like to hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom