Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Staff Critique: December 2013

For those of you that have not seen this type of thread before, the Staff are interested in hearing your honest feedback and critique on our actions. I want to know what yall think of us.

You will not be judged for sincere commentary. You will be protected from retribution if you post in this thread. This is because even Staff are human, and sometimes we do make mistakes or we are too zealous. If you have felt mistreated by Staff or that our policies are too harsh, please speak up. This is the only way that we can improve to the standard that yall deserve. Please keep things PG-13 however.

So, please speak up. I would love to hear from yall so we can make 2014 an even better year for Star Wars RP.net!

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Well...
For one, archiving (thus locking) submissions you want to deny instead of giving the writer a chance to copy the code for future editing is a HUGE turnoff. You might... ya know... want to look into not doing that.
Actually, that's about it. Oh, yes, and less Disney. They're franchise nazi's.

Alachei Mnemenos said:
For one, archiving (thus locking) submissions you want to deny instead of giving the writer a chance to copy the code for future editing is a HUGE turnoff.
I'm sorry for the inconvenience that this has caused, and I totally agree that not being able to copy over the formatting of a submission must surely be annoying.

You'll be glad to know, though, that Star Wars RP.net uses WYSIWYG for posts. Simply copy and paste a post from Star Wars RP.net into the editor when making a new post, and the format of the post you copied should be copied over as well. You will have to be using the WYSIWYG mode for posting, though. Try clicking the light switch at the top left of the posting tools if copying and pasting your submission doesn't preserve the format you desire.

OOC Writer Account
I was creating a post with my @[member="Vilox Pazela"] character account this morning and when I went to press post, the screen loaded and redirected me to another page, which said that there was an error and that starwarsrp.net couldn't load. When I tried to post again, I went back to the previous page to try again and my post had been deleted. Why does my content that I've just written suddenly disappear after I've pressed post but when I backspace it isn't there anymore? I've used zetaboards in the past and when the post hasn't loaded properly, I've been able to go back to the previous page and my post will still be there.

Why is there random likes coming up all over the website when I and other people post?

Why wasn't there a proactive operation to recover the posts that were lost in the delete? I've seen some posts have been recovered, such my Obscurity post (which I was happy to find recovered, thank you whoever was responsible) but not the rest of my content. Surely as the administration team, when something has gone wrong, it is up to you to help recover stuff that you had a helping hand in losing?

Nyxie

【夢狐】
The WYSIWYG isn't always 100%, as it sometimes tends to resize images, add unwanted line breaks and do a few other simple but quirky things when copying from sources outside of the editor. But I digress, I have no further complaints on the matter. :)

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Vazela said:
I was creating a post with my @[member="Vilox Pazela"] character account this morning and when I went to press post, the screen loaded and redirected me to another page, which said that there was an error and that starwarsrp.net couldn't load. When I tried to post again, I went back to the previous page to try again and my post had been deleted. Why does my content that I've just written suddenly disappear after I've pressed post but when I backspace it isn't there anymore? I've used zetaboards in the past and when the post hasn't loaded properly, I've been able to go back to the previous page and my post will still be there.

Why is there random likes coming up all over the website when I and other people post?

Why wasn't there a proactive operation to recover the posts that were lost in the delete? I've seen some posts have been recovered, such my Obscurity post (which I was happy to find recovered, thank you whoever was responsible) but not the rest of my content. Surely as the administration team, when something has gone wrong, it is up to you to help recover stuff that you had a helping hand in losing?
@[member="Vazela"] Since the web browser is usually what cashes written text in the event you have to hit the back button or refresh, my first impression is that it is a browser issue. In which case, I'd recommend either checking your browser settings or using Chrome if you aren't already.
Another issue is that you probably posted between 3:45 and 4:15 AM Eastern; which is when the site does it's routine backups... something like that, according to what I was officially told. My only advice: do what I do, hit ctrl-a and ctrl-c to copy the post before you submit it, just in case.

The likes, methinks, are because of the November Eighth incident. They're just overlapping. Probably stop after a month or so.

Lastly, because somebody DELETED the ENTIRE SQL for threads. :p
EDIT: To be fair, it was already corrupted so... yeah.

Vazela said:

Please, please, please stop blaming the administrators for what happened. It was a site/host blunder, not the admin team, for one.

For two, there was a pro-active campaign in place, but the issue is that Cache's don't remain as they were for long -they change every so often. So people prioritised, they cached out the biographies, factory submissions, etc. Everyone was given a crash course in how to do this themselves so that they could recover anything they deemed necessary.

So again, please don't blame the admins.. It's disrespectful after all the hard work they put in post-crash and every single day

And inb4 this is a critique thread so he's well within his right to say such; I understand that, I'd simply like to clear it up again so it doesn't keep being brought up.

Vazela said:
Why does my content that I've just written suddenly disappear after I've pressed post but when I backspace it isn't there anymore?
That does seem to be an issue.
If you do get booted from writing a post, just check to see if your auto save. For others that may not know, you can pull up the auto saved content by going into the Full Editor and clicking "View Auto Saved Content (Timestamp)" just below the editor, assuming there is an auto save. That is the proper method for restoring posts through Star Wars RP.net's auto save feature.

If you lost your auto save, then it is likely due to the specific error you experienced - which is a Driver Error. Nearly everything that members deal with on the site is managed by a database management system. Driver Errors are due to that database management system, and are likely the cause of the loss of recent auto saves. Since this is due to the system we have for the site, I'm sorry for those that lose their posts in because of this.

Keep in mind, though, that the site creates a backup at 2am and 4am Eastern Time, give or take 45 minutes. The lag due to the creation of these backups has reliably causes several second periods of Driver Errors. Abnormal Driver Errors are when it lasts for more than several minutes.

One thing I do with posts that I've found to be very reliable though is to copy my entire posts before pressing the "Add Reply" button, just in case something goes wrong.

Vazela said:
This is a result of the database corruption from earlier that wiped out a lot of posts. As I said, the board is connected to several databases. The database for posts was corrupted and had an old backup. Likes are clearly on a different database and the board is attempting to "make up" for a few months of likes that are now missing posts. I can assure you that these phantom likes, as Staff has begun to call them, are not affecting anyone's Reputation.

Vazela said:
Why wasn't there a proactive operation to recover the posts that were lost in the delete?
The Recovery forum is still available for those wishing to restore posts that have been lost. Tutorials on how to Recover posts were created. If I recall correctly, Staff members with time managed to restore a significant amount of threads. Unfortunately at this point, recovery through Google cache (our only method of Recovery besides memory and member's saving drafts) is most likely unavailable - and likely became unavailable just days after the posts were lost. There are still hundreds of threads that weren't recovered. The number of threads lost in the several month period was too great for our limited team. I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you with your lost posts.

Fortunately, the likelihood of such an event happening again is very low. As I mentioned earlier, Star Wars RP.net has automatic nightly back ups. Also, Tef does a weekly back up onto his personal drive. Lessons were learned.

If my answers have not adequately answered your questions, simply reply back and I'll see if I can help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom