Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question Should we poof Divs next?

Matt the Radar Tech

ꜰɪxɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ʀᴀᴅᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ sᴛᴜꜰꜰ
Yep this is entirely correct and also has no bearing on how likely I am to execute divs in broad daylight in the Chaos town square as I lock eyes with your most beloved writing partners on some ego-fueled murderous power trip followed by a run on sentence.

We’re all just one bad day away, man, but for now we can just like talk about it without a deposition and discovery.
I thought my reply was punny.

I think they're fantastic for biographies and factory submissions.

I find for posts at best they don't detract from reading a post.

At worst they can make a page absolutely awful to read on mobile view and seriously detract from mobile viewing.

Especially those people that have been told numerous times to stop using a width that breaks mobile view and keep doing it,

I don't often use them, but I think they do have a place.

I think blogs/articles and maybe subs are appropriate places for them. They aren't always appropriate for every post, mostly due to users who don't know how to format them nicely (yet).

ᴏɴᴇꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ᴢᴇʀᴏᴇꜱ
They're completely harmless so long as the user knows how to format layouts for mobile and understands basic color theory.

And as others have said, all it takes is one post for you to then simply copy/paste the div on every future post, so it takes up no time at all.

TYZmiP2.jpg

Objective: Say No
Tag: Tefka Tefka

div1.png

I'd say so to this it gives a cool design edge to your posts and makes them more appealing. I understand it can be a pain on mobiles, but do the needs of the few really outweigh those of the many?

Grand Shepherd Burtch

Fleet Commander For The Nomadic Peoples Coalition
I’m on mobile, and overall, i don’t think it would hurt or help my own posting levels if divs were removed from the site. Speaking for myself, strictly.

Gun to my head? Ok, I say keep them. Even on mobile, most divs out there look nice and add great text-to-backdrop contrast.

AND NOW, FOR MY SIGNATURE OVER-ANALYSIS THAT NOBODY ASKED FOR!!!
Ok, so I like to think of the way people write as an expression of fashion and style. In this metaphor, you have people dressing however they like for a thread. Hats, pants, jackets, dresses, skirts, makeup, hairdo, etc, are all things people can do to present themselves a little better for the community. In writing, Divs are just one thing that adds to image. Like an overcoat. Without the overcoat we still have shirts, shoes, sock (apparently these days), glasses… much like how we still have fonts, Colors, posting art, formatting, etc.

Also, black is always in fashion.

So, in summary? If the goal is to improve posting activity by removing divs, I would vote that as a mistake. Divs are an expression of style, and no one can see your style if you don’t go out to be seen. One needs to post in threads in order for folks to admire your ‘threads’, and people won’t see your “latest in Ingrid L'lerim Ingrid L'lerim fashion” if you don’t write your characters. There’s not much point in dressing to the nines when you’re washing dishes at home, and I think people get that. Would we lose all sense of style without the ‘overcoats’? Probably not. But they’re still really nice, as long as they fit properly.

epilogue
Also, to expand on this metaphor even more, some writers are so good at writing that they don’t use any formatting at all. This is comparable to people who are so darn good looking that we all wonder “why did we ever invent clothing in the first place?”

You sexy nudists make this site a better place for everyone, and we thank you.

mike drop

PS: I reference Ingrid as a compliment to her work. She is the best distributor of posting art on the site that I know, and a discussion about divs and other posting style things should have her mentioned at least once.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom